Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I agree, selective enforcement applies. I am still willing to lend a trailer, but my truck is not up to the task (12 Toyota Tundra). If it matters my trailer is tagged for 12k and probably sees that whenever I haul hay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Savington posted:

Anecdotal towing experiences in western US

This also matches my (limited) experience. I put the -V behind the LC last year and went out to Reno and back, passed a number of weigh stations on 80, and no one cared. if the truck weighs ~7k lbs + a ~2500 lb trailer, you're in the ballpark of "who cares".

The truck's an antique/classic, it has a story, IMO this isn't going to be the type of thing where Johnny Law throws the book at you so long as you're not an active safety hazard or giving cops attitude.

Routes:

Looks like NE, IA (optional), MO to Kansas City, and then:

North route: IL, KY, TN, GA, FL,

or,

South route: AR, 10 miles of TN, MS, AL, GA, FL.

I maintain that it shouldn't matter which route you take..

Dumb question: Can the truck be flat-towed in neutral, or with one axle up on a heavy-duty dolly?

Edit: rdb, why is your truck not up to the task? 4.6 or 5.7? My LC hauled 4400 lbs of car + 2000 lbs of steel trailer well enough, and that's the same 5.7 drivetrain + additional parasitic loss from the AWD system:

Tremek fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 19, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Its in the shop for the next week and then my wife needs it.

And earlier someone posted that when they first moved the truck from Montana the weight was closer to 9,000lbs, which is about what mine is rated for, so adding in the trailer would put it over that rating. I have exceeded it before, but thats hauling hay no more than a dozen miles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
with full float axles you can pull the drive slugs and flat tow it. that will royally suck and probably get attention from curious cops. with a ten thousand pound truck you'll want to weld a tow bar that is *loving* substantial and figure out a way to brake the the load.

Tundras are rated for up to 10,400. thats ~the weight of the truck itself sans trailer.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Tundras are rated for up to 10,400. thats ~the weight of the truck itself sans trailer.
I thought they could tow a loving spaceship.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey wasn't there a pizza goon I dont thunk I have your number on this phone can we do that thing again I think I'm done lurking at the park

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

with full float axles you can pull the drive slugs and flat tow it. that will royally suck and probably get attention from curious cops. with a ten thousand pound truck you'll want to weld a tow bar that is *loving* substantial and figure out a way to brake the the load.

It probably doesn't weigh that much - I think there was some combined-weight guessing pegging it (heh) under 10k -

Bottom post, this guy with a '49 and a 16 foot dump bed says his weighs 7550 lbs with him in it

A '51 6100? Is this close? Looks like it to me in pics - Is guessed at weighing 7000 lbs or thereabouts

edit: Cool PDF on '51 trucks

Tremek fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 19, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

That rating varies based on year and cab. Mine is 9000.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2012+toyota+tundra+product+specs+features.download

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Obviously the proper solution is to buy a few digital scales so it can be rolled on them and weighed.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I thought they could tow a loving spaceship.

It did at 1mph for 100'

I towed with it Saturday, 7 1100lb alfalfa/orchard round bales and it smoked so bad from the cam tower leak I thought it might burn down. Hopefully its fixed.

E: also got followed by state police for 10 miles with both taillights on the trailer and the tag obstructed. Selective enforcement. Have been not so lucky in the past in NY.

rdb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 19, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14" doesn't have a valid drivers' license, right? In which case, the earliest the trukk is going to get off the property regardless is whenever someone can physically go there and drive it or put it on a trailer, right? Unless there's the option of paying for a professional haul.

Given the above, I still think we should get 14" some tools ASAP. He can at least look busy and not quite so much like a homeless squatter. DJDaddo wants the truck and the vagrant gone: showing visible signs of progress may mollify him for a while.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Bomgaars looks like the spot for tools.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Entering into talks with DJDaddo and being honest about the situation and offering to be useful around the property might calm him. My experience with inactive farms in rural Alabammer probably don't translate super well to the flat, kudzu-less midwest, but offering to bush-hog or something would probably at least say something.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Elephanthead posted:

Bomgaars looks like the spot for tools.

I have Bomgaars locally here too. It stocks some really decent tools. That said, I cannot for the life of me find any info online about in-store pickup and gift cards take 3 to 5 days to get mailed. It's a super regional store, so they're not exactly on the cutting edge of poo poo. Their gift card purchases are done through PayPal.

Also, trying to find anything, like a set of sockets gets you this: "Products are not available for look-up at this time. Phase two of our website upgrade will include more advanced features. Thanks for your patience."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think we need Dick to make a list of essential tools, go in the store and price them out, and then we can figure out how to pay for them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WELL IF MY GOD drat DEBIT CARD WOULD EVER SHOW UP SO I COULD BUY CIGARETTES AND FULFILL MY OSHA REQUIRED MANDATORY MINIMUM NICOTNE LEVELS FOR A WORKPLACE ENVIRONMENT

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'd go with the south route, it will be flatter. Chugging any of this beast through hills isn't the best idea.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also FYI just because this thing might take the easy way out, doesn't mean I don't intend to be in Orlando waiting for it just to see the look on its stupid loving face

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Tremek posted:

South route: AR, 10 miles of TN, MS, AL, GA, FL.

If it's worth anything, Alabama doesn't have any weigh stations, just state troopers with mobile scales that I've rarely seen on the side of a road, usually with something obviously questionable.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If it's worth anything, Alabama doesn't have any weigh stations, just state troopers with mobile scales that I've rarely seen on the side of a road, usually with something obviously questionable.

From Nashville to Florida on 65 I can't remember a weigh station being open the past 3 years. There are a few on highways that are open most of the time. But I honestly don't think anyone expects you to stop and weigh a personal one time move like this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lightning storm currently hovering somewhere between interdimensional gateway and full scale planetary assault

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If my engines timing belt wasn't currently somewhere between "maybe working" and "about to eat all the valves", I'd just drive my lovely craftsman 250-piece socket set to Nebraska this weekend. :cripes:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting fact about the valentine camp showers. The drinking fountain circuit is somehow involved, so if I manipulate the fountain while the shower is in use I essentially cross the streams and control temperature as well as pressure

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DICK DICER posted:

Interesting fact about the valentine camp showers. The drinking fountain circuit is somehow involved, so if I manipulate the fountain while the shower is in use I essentially cross the streams and control temperature as well as pressure

14 INCH is the inverse Agent Dale Cooper, sent to a small town to create something to investigate.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

DICK DICER posted:

How far away from the showers is the drinking fountain? And how much clothing were you wearing when you discovered this phenomenon?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Tremek posted:

Dumb question: Can the truck be flat-towed in neutral, or with one axle up on a heavy-duty dolly?

Second half of that got missed, I think. I see wreckers hauling semi cabs and full school busses around here with the front wheels up, is that an option somehow? Couldn't do it on the way to Valentine because the wheels were shot, but there are four new ones now if I recall.

Also seconding the southern route. Nice, flat and boring.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
Geezus tap dancing crabst... noones even gotten a fuckin hf set of tools out to him yet? I've been watching this thread for weeks and y'all fail.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

EvilPsych posted:

Geezus tap dancing crabst... noones even gotten a fuckin hf set of tools out to him yet? I've been watching this thread for weeks and y'all fail.

Well, it would help a lot if Dave would tell us what he needs. Lots of people ready to lend a hand but no direction as to what to do.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EvilPsych posted:

The poo poo was bought before dave even got to Valentine, we can't help if every single shipping agency is pants-on-head stupid for shipping to bumfuck nowhere.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

EvilPsych posted:

Dude we literally had Tremek come and single handedly save 14 from certain doom a lot of people here have been doing a whole lot of poo poo to keep this on the rails when there have been enormous clusterfucks of things out of our control

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 20, 2017

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Talked to Dave earlier about dropping a napa set, but he says to hold of until we know if this poo poo is going south or not.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

Talked to Dave earlier about dropping a napa set, but he says to hold of until we know if this poo poo is going south or not.

Exactly, don't think it is a good idea to arrange new shipments to Valentine "at the moment". But 14 is optimistic this will work out. I'd really like if DJdanno would weigh in and let us know outlook.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Agreed. DJDanno's absence from these recent developments is a bit of a worry.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TheNothingNew posted:

Second half of that got missed, I think. I see wreckers hauling semi cabs and full school busses around here with the front wheels up, is that an option somehow? Couldn't do it on the way to Valentine because the wheels were shot, but there are four new ones now if I recall.

Also seconding the southern route. Nice, flat and boring.
You can't have wheels of a non-registered vehicle on the ground.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Panaflex posted:

Agreed. DJDanno's absence from these recent developments is a bit of a worry.

Maybe he just hasn't been paying attention to the forums lately? Can anyone text him or email him or something?

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'd be shocked if Danno and his father haven't been talking. I just think it would help the situation all around if we knew everyone's perspective... Dan's dad, Dan's and of course we know Dave's and Sim's already.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Panaflex posted:

I'd be shocked if Danno and his father haven't been talking. I just think it would help the situation all around if we knew everyone's perspective... Dan's dad, Dan's and of course we know Dave's and Sim's already.

I'm under the impression that people are talking to him off-site. No reason to give him extra heartburn.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Online communities tend to do some pretty dumb poo poo / act like assholes at times. I don't blame him if he's intentionally keeping a low profile until this gets resolved.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Panaflex posted:

He posted in this thread this morning.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, I talked with him a bit this morning. Trying to work on smoothing things out for now. But, this kinda came out of the blue, as we had all been told our returning was ok.

The is not ever getting scrapped, that is not an option. We're trying to work on other possible extraction methods for Dave and the truck now.

If Dave can get his debit card, or a useful shipment of tools, we can at least work on getting it running and possibly moved off the property at least.

I can surmise Dad's perspective on this is "I said you could keep the truck on my land for a few weeks. It's been a year and now the guy you send out here to get it moving doesn't even have tools but he DOES have a camper that he can't live in OR move off my property?"

We've been following this saga forever and we all understand the tools not being there. We're actually surprised that they weren't replaced with spiders and shipped there anyway. But from the outside it looks like the internet just sent a dude to live on another dude's land for a while with no real plan for how to get him off of there. Cleaning up the area and getting out is probably the best solution if there's a place to set up camp nearby. We can work on finding the right tools and getting them there without making the situation worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Tricky Ed posted:

It looks like the internet just sent a dude to live on another dude's land for a while with no real plan for how to get him off of there.

In fairness that's a very accurate summary of what has transpired here. :munch:

• Locked thread