Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Panfilo posted:

It is really weird that he has so little to show for all that money. $327,000 he received total, and he still has a loving car payment? Is he leasing a Lexus or something?

I'm guessing he walked into a dealership and, while trying to both not laugh and to hide his enormous boner, the salesman explained to him how actually the lease option on this Chrysler Sebring is really BETTER for him than actually buying the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Uhh actually it's called a "Smart Buy" and at least one goon has decided it's a good idea

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I just had to google SmartBuy to see what it was, and it appears it combines the worst elements of leasing and vehicle ownership.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There's a really great smart buy thread here, but I'm strictly a phone poster these days so hopefully the post under this is someone linking it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

People pay for that streaming poo poo because they are in desperate need for attention and donating money gets you a call-out, your name on screen, or whatever.

Paying :tenbux: to post terrible opinions on a dead forum is looking pretty GWM now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There's a really great smart buy thread here, but I'm strictly a phone poster these days so hopefully the post under this is someone linking it.

Under but one!

here ya go sailor

I don't know which part is funnier: how he wanted to whip goons into a righteous fury to help him get the story in the media, or how it only took six minutes after his post for someone to look at his contract and realize he was a loving moron who didn't read what he was signing.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 20, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Panfilo posted:

I hope that Camgirl at least managed to spend the $9 a minute she earned sensibly.

she probably only got $2 or $3 out of that since the site would take half and her studio would take another half, give or take.

there was a great bbc article about it. boobs would basically only get you like 10 or 15 minutes max, and anything past that you had to be great at conversation. the studios would literally have conservation classes for their girls with professional therapists as the teachers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zo posted:

she probably only got $2 or $3 out of that since the site would take half and her studio would take another half, give or take.

there was a great bbc article about it. boobs would basically only get you like 10 or 15 minutes max, and anything past that you had to be great at conversation. the studios would literally have conservation classes for their girls with professional therapists as the teachers.
I'm imagining someone paying $10/minute to have a camgirl seriously lecture them on the importance of maintaining our coastal wetlands.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
what's important is fostering an emotional connection with the client and then pulling money down that link

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm sure everyone is aware, but just a reminder that we have a contest going: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825254

It started off hot and there hasn't been much activity, so if anyone has any historical BWM, please share.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Help! We spend a third of our income on miscellaneous expenses! How do we ever pay off all this debt!!!!!???"

Making over $100k and in so much debt

quote:

My SO and I make a combined a $105,000 a year. We live in a moderate col area and have a ten year old son.
Income: $105k total household After tax and health insurance income: $6200 monthly
Debt: - $38k student loans - $5000 car loan @ 9% interest (car worth $2k) - $6500 balance on Chase Slate card - $3800 balance on Chase Freedom card - $2000 balance on Capital One Card - $1500 balance on Capital One Card - $500 balancebon Credit One Card - $2400 balance on Discover It card - $800 balance on PayPal credit account - $5000 balance on Amex Blue card - is closed and in collections - $2000 balance on Amex PRG card - is closed and in collections - $2000 balance on Citi Card - is closed and in collections + Multiple items on collection (medical bills, etc)
Expenses (monthly): - Rent $1500 - Electric $80 average - Insurance $290 (two cars) - Car payment $200 - Phone $230 (3 lines) - Gas $100-125 - Groceries $400 - Eating out $200 - min payment on all cards $450 - Student loan payment $300 - Cable and internet $80 (looking to cancel soon) Total fixed expenses: $4000 (rounded up) - Miscellaneous expenses such as clothing, gifts, entertainment, costs associated with raising a child, take up the rest of our expenses. We don't save anything.
Our credit is crap (low 500s).
We'll never be able to pay off this debt. The more I think about it, the more hopeless I feel. We used the credit cards to get us through some tough times while I was in between jobs and we have been struggling to catch up. We have no money saved up and are barely paying the minimum on each card. Short of filling bankruptcy, what can I do now to start tackling this debt?
My job is steady and I will get an average of 7-9% raise each year plus a 2-4% bonus annually. My SO's income is steady but with smaller raises each year (2-3%). How will we ever make enough to clear all this debt?
Edit: added monthly expenses and after tax income

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Ashcans posted:

I'm imagining someone paying $10/minute to have a camgirl seriously lecture them on the importance of maintaining our coastal wetlands.

swipe :argh:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

quote:

After tax and health insurance income: $6200 monthly...
Total fixed expenses: $4000 (rounded up) - Miscellaneous expenses such as clothing, gifts, entertainment, costs associated with raising a child, take up the rest of our expenses...
How will we ever make enough to clear all this debt?

drilcandlestweet.jpg right here

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

El Mero Mero posted:

Had lunch with some acquaintances today and they mentioned they were bidding on an apartment unit from a foreclosure auction. It sounded like some frighteningly bad bwmism:

1) Mentioned that they got financing for it at 12% from some non bank lender because "most lenders won't lend to you for this because it's so risky"

2) Apparently you don't get any information about the unit you're buying in these auctions. They're basically incredibly expensive storage unit auctions and you might end up buying a place that still has tenants who don't want to leave.

3) They mentioned that they really couldn't afford it, but if they could flip it within 6 months they could come out on top.

I feel like this didn't get enough attention as great BWM. I would love to hear updates if you get them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just learned the circumstances of how my friend got her job. Apparently her predecessor, a 55 year old woman who was notorious for being so lazy that people in the department thought she was only part-time, was incensed that her neighbors' kids were getting that sweet, sweet government and charity cheese in the form of new shoes and jackets and occasionally food. So, she quit the job she barely did and, because it was a public institution and she elected to give up her pension, got a big lump sum to roll over into the retirement plan of her choice.

Instead, she drained it buying all sorts of dumb crap.

Also, it turns out that unemployment and welfare and charity aren't all that great! Now she has no savings and can't continue her previous lifestyle.

She's been desperately contacting the department asking for her old job back. Unfortunately for her, my friend is both competent and a hard worker and didn't give a big "gently caress-you" when she left the department, so nobody there is giving her the time of day.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I just learned the circumstances of how my friend got her job. Apparently her predecessor, a 55 year old woman who was notorious for being so lazy that people in the department thought she was only part-time, was incensed that her neighbors' kids were getting that sweet, sweet government and charity cheese in the form of new shoes and jackets and occasionally food. So, she quit the job she barely did and, because it was a public institution and she elected to give up her pension, got a big lump sum to roll over into the retirement plan of her choice.

Also, it turns out that unemployment and welfare and charity aren't all that great! Now she has no savings and can't continue her previous lifestyle.

She's been desperately contacting the department asking for her old job back. Unfortunately for her, my friend is both competent and a hard worker and didn't give a big "gently caress-you" when she left the department, so nobody there is giving her the time of day.

So wait she decided to quit her job because she was mad at those darn poor kids getting all the cool stuff and wanted in? :psyduck:

Folly
May 26, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

So wait she decided to quit her job because she was mad at those darn poor kids getting all the cool stuff and wanted in? :psyduck:

I guess it's a reasonable action if you sincerely bought into the premise.

This is the good stuff. I don't even feel bad laughing at this one.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

Somebody make this a TV show: "So You Think Living on Welfare is So Easy?"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Moneyball posted:

I'm sure everyone is aware, but just a reminder that we have a contest going: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825254

It started off hot and there hasn't been much activity, so if anyone has any historical BWM, please share.

bookmarking Leon's posts to win this contest 100 years from now

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I love how that goldmined car goon fell for every bullshit sales brushoff the guy gave him.

"Oh yeah, the records are in another building but I can get them and talk to you tomorrow."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My dad called me last night to ask what I knew about pinterest.

He's been on a low-carb and no sugar diet for two years and he just bought a $325 bread machine. One of my mom's friends apparently told him that he can make low-carb bread from pinterest with a breadmaker and he hasn't been able to find a recipe that tastes good.

Now, he's just buying low-carb tortillas and pita at the store and won't return the breadmaker because "I'll probably want it when I go back to bread."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Yes.

Oh gently caress I forgot the hilarious part:

This same woman was the mother of three kids. Even before she quit, she bought generic store-brand beefaroni for them and bought name-brand for herself, hiding it on the top shelf where they couldn't see it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

DarkHorse posted:

Yes.

Oh gently caress I forgot the hilarious part:

This same woman was the mother of three kids. Even before she quit, she bought generic store-brand beefaroni for them and bought name-brand for herself, hiding it on the top shelf where they couldn't see it.

I know the other stuff is more bad with money but hot drat this one is mean. It's supposed to be the other way around. Give your kids the better one and eat the cheap stuff yourself.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's been on a low-carb and no sugar diet for two years and he just bought a $325 bread machine. One of my mom's friends apparently told him that he can make low-carb bread from pinterest with a breadmaker and he hasn't been able to find a recipe that tastes good.

Now, he's just buying low-carb tortillas and pita at the store and won't return the breadmaker because "I'll probably want it when I go back to bread."
This is BWM but it's also such a dad thing to do.

Moneyball posted:

I know the other stuff is more bad with money but hot drat this one is mean. It's supposed to be the other way around. Give your kids the better one and eat the cheap stuff yourself.
How somebody treats their kids is the true character reveal.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tell him to return the bread machine. If he wants bread later, he can always buy another bread machine then, and possibly for cheaper. Alternatively, you don't need a bread machine just to make bread.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Panfilo posted:

Tell him to return the bread machine. If he wants bread later, he can always buy another bread machine then, and possibly for cheaper. Alternatively, you don't need a bread machine just to make bread.

You gotta call him and see if you can convince him. I tried, but apparently it's a "good one" and he wants to have it on hand later when he "goes back to bread."

He's not gonna go through the return process.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You gotta call him and see if you can convince him. I tried, but apparently it's a "good one" and he wants to have it on hand later when he "goes back to bread."

He's not gonna go through the return process.

Last christmas one of the things my mom got me just as a random side gift was a... lime juicer. A device specifically to juice limes.

I don't really ever eat / cook with limes, or use their juice.

"But it was a great deal and it makes juicing limes so easy!"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Panfilo posted:

Bread is super easy to bake without a huge clunky Machine cluttering up your counter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hoodwinker posted:

"Help! We spend a third of our income on miscellaneous expenses! How do we ever pay off all this debt!!!!!???"

Making over $100k and in so much debt

I'm the $5,000 9% note on a car worth $2,000.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Bread is super easy to bake without a huge clunky Machine cluttering up your counter.
I mean, it is literally one of the oldest foods.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Last christmas one of the things my mom got me just as a random side gift was a... lime juicer. A device specifically to juice limes.

I don't really ever eat / cook with limes, or use their juice.

"But it was a great deal and it makes juicing limes so easy!"

Okay but counterpoint, start using some limes and lime juice in your food.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Okay but counterpoint, start using some limes and lime juice in your food.
Counterpoint: you don't need a lime juicer ever even if you use limes and lime juice in your food.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The occasions where I have used limes I always forget I even have it yet somehow manage to extract sufficient amounts of juice with ease :iiam:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
When life throws limes at you, make a gimlet.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Noctone posted:

When life throws limes at you, make a gimlet.
Son of Glime.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Hoodwinker posted:

Counterpoint: you don't need a lime juicer ever even if you use limes and lime juice in your food.

I dunno, if I'm making a margarita I just cut up a lime and squeeze it by hand, however, if I'm making a bunch of margaritas for a party it's waaaay easier to just throw them in my juicer thing. I'm talking about one of these though. If we're talking about this that does seem kind of pointless.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hoodwinker posted:

Class up your regular rum & cokes by turning them into a Cuba Libre with nothing more than lime juice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elysium posted:

If we're talking about this that does seem kind of pointless.

I have one of those via a gift and it works better than I expected. Gets out more juice than by hand with less mess, gives less pulp than a reamer, easy to shove in a drawer or the top drawer of the dishwasher. TBH I reach for it more often than the one I have like your first example, unless I'm doing oranges.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Drunk Tomato posted:

Also those makers tend to have a blade in them, which means a nice big hole through the loaf. Because I know I love it when the jelly keeps spilling through the bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cast iron Dutch oven works great for making bread in an oven and has the benefit of not being useless for tasks besides making bread