Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

No slowdown whatsoever at ten months here.

My wife, who is a much heavier phone user than I am with about twice as many apps mentioned the same thing. She came from iOS and said unprompted "Wow, there's a new Pixel coming out and I'm used to the iPhone suddenly going so much slower as soon as the next one gets announced but this is running as smooth as it did new."

I do believe Google did some work with regards to specifically this, the degradation of performance over the lifespan of the device, in Oreo but I have no specifics nor idea where I read it. It might've been in Amadeo's piece but I'm not going to go looking for it now.

I've seen it on Pixels myself, even if all Pixel owners in this thread have somehow never had it happen to them. I'm not saying they slow to a crawl, my Note 4 was pretty snappy up until it's last day, but I'd be lying if I said it was exactly as snappy as it was on its first week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How do you distinguish between a Pixel with old age slowness and a Pixel with theres-a-poo poo-app-that-slows-down-even-new-phones.

Also, it's amazing to me that anyone has seen more than one Pixel in the wild.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thermopyle posted:

How do you distinguish between a Pixel with old age slowness and a Pixel with theres-a-poo poo-app-that-slows-down-even-new-phones.

I have one for work and one as my personal phone because my work doesn't reimburse and I didn't want to transfer my number over. Both of mine are great, and it's nice being able to shut the work one off when I want...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MisterBibs posted:

Thanks, folks, but evidently I just needed to hit the three-dot button next to the panel and edit it that way, just like I've done before and never seemed to remember.

I do remember wondering what the hell that panel of go-to options is called the last time I did this. Still don't know.

Quick toggles?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The 200 USD price difference between the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2 XL is actually pretty significant considering many of the internals are the same. The extra money basically gets you a bigger display, smaller bezels and ???. I guess it's possible the camera will see a big upgrade for the XL?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

The 200 USD price difference between the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2 XL is actually pretty significant considering many of the internals are the same. The extra money basically gets you a bigger display, smaller bezels and ???. I guess it's possible the camera will see a big upgrade for the XL?

Yes, probably camera better in some way, and also better battery. (But small Pixel ftw)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Exactly, you don't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Thanks, folks, but evidently I just needed to hit the three-dot button next to the panel and edit it that way, just like I've done before and never seemed to remember.

I do remember wondering what the hell that panel of go-to options is called the last time I did this. Still don't know.

It used to be called the Quick Settings Panel but now they are just notification shortcuts, panels, or tiles. The thing is, OEMs love to meddle with the notification pane and since the stock notification shade doesn't have a three dot menu I figure you're on one of those oddball configurations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RVProfootballer posted:

Yes, probably camera better in some way, and also better battery. (But small Pixel ftw)

I don’t understand how the top end phones (Galaxy, iPhone, Pixel) have gone up $200 inside a year.

Apple can charge what they like as they’re the clear market leaders, and can sell however many they can make.

Pixel has lovely sales compared to other android phones, not even in the top 5 by sales. So how can it justify increasing the price 20%? If they want to grow market share and have a successful phone this won’t help.

It’s not like they have a special-sauce SoC that’s competitive with apple, they use off the shelf snapdragons like everyone else.

Also, all the components in a phone cost under $300 total, there is no way swapping out one component like a camera can justify any material price change.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wooger posted:

I don’t understand how the top end phones (Galaxy, iPhone, Pixel) have gone up $200 inside a year.

Apple can charge what they like as they’re the clear market leaders, and can sell however many they can make.

Pixel has lovely sales compared to other android phones, not even in the top 5 by sales. So how can it justify increasing the price 20%? If they want to grow market share and have a successful phone this won’t help.

It’s not like they have a special-sauce SoC that’s competitive with apple, they use off the shelf snapdragons like everyone else.

Also, all the components in a phone cost under $300 total, there is no way swapping out one component like a camera can justify any material price change.

It's almost like they're raising the price just because they can!

Seriously though, I'm not sure if you've noticed but under capitalism there is no reason for a good's price to be related to the cost of materials+labor. Samsung made the Note 8 which is 99% identical to the S8+ and it costs 13% more. The Lexus ES and the Toyota Corolla are essentially the same vehicle despite a $10k difference in price for similarly equipped models. GM in the 80s would sell the exact same car across multiple brands at multiple price points with literally no differences at all except the grilles & taillamps. This is just how the world works.

As for the flagship phones, you can buy them or not, Google doesn't care. Google wins if you buy any Android phone. If you want to buy it from them, that's great, but if not they only care about your data so as long as you use a phone with the Play Store, they got what they came for. Why would they give the slightest gently caress about market share?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Thermopyle posted:

People keep referring to this as a thing but can anyone try to explain this superstitious "it get slower over time" thing to me in a way that isn't explained by parasitic apps.

A memory leak would be slow consistently every time the phone has been on "too long" and would likewise be fixed every time the phone is restarted. General slowness due to apps using resources greedily should be cured by a factory reset or software upgrade resulting in some settings refresh/reset.

Increased slowness over time without a direct, repairable explanation? Seems less likely. Are the electrons getting tired? Is the Gremlin in your phone bored and misrouting poo poo because he has gone all passive aggressive?

I can get how a new phone feels faster than an old one due to engineers focussing on UI responsiveness, but in my opinion a phone slows down over time in the same way any computer does and is therefore repairable in the same manner. Wipe, start fresh, watch the user rush to install as many items of malware/spyware as possible.

Car salesman should be using this tactic to sell you a new car. Old car full of garbage and the gas tank is getting low? Just buy a new car!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Rickets posted:

People keep referring to this as a thing but can anyone try to explain this superstitious "it get slower over time" thing to me in a way that isn't explained by parasitic apps.

A memory leak would be slow consistently every time the phone has been on "too long" and would likewise be fixed every time the phone is restarted. General slowness due to apps using resources greedily should be cured by a factory reset or software upgrade resulting in some settings refresh/reset.

Increased slowness over time without a direct, repairable explanation? Seems less likely. Are the electrons getting tired? Is the Gremlin in your phone bored and misrouting poo poo because he has gone all passive aggressive?

I can get how a new phone feels faster than an old one due to engineers focussing on UI responsiveness, but in my opinion a phone slows down over time in the same way any computer does and is therefore repairable in the same manner. Wipe, start fresh, watch the user rush to install as many items of malware/spyware as possible.

Car salesman should be using this tactic to sell you a new car. Old car full of garbage and the gas tank is getting low? Just buy a new car!

I think it's because every app you install will try to start up a background process so that if it gets a notification it can be brought to the foreground. The problem with this is it takes up more and more memory to run these background processes and it slows down the ones in the foreground.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Your :iiaca: is bad. Cars actually do lose horsepower as they age. Plus things like suspension bits getting soft and tires wearing out. They actually do get slower.

I can see a phone "getting slow" as apps and the OS evolve and require more resources. Of course, being Android, most people aren't going to get an OS update, so that won't be a factor!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LastInLine posted:

As for the flagship phones, you can buy them or not, Google doesn't care. Google wins if you buy any Android phone. If you want to buy it from them, that's great, but if not they only care about your data so as long as you use a phone with the Play Store, they got what they came for. Why would they give the slightest gently caress about market share?

I'm almost convinced the Pixel program exists only as a mindshare insurance card to whatever new feature Apple brings out in the future.

"Ohhhh see Android also has this X, Y, Z feature in the latest Pixel like this years iPhone, but we really don't give a gently caress if you buy it or a $100 phone one as long as people think Android is still relevant"

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Uthor posted:

Your :iiaca: is bad. Cars actually do lose horsepower as they age. Plus things like suspension bits getting soft and tires wearing out. They actually do get slower.

Seeing as my car joke was about a salesman selling you a new car in a very short period of time, in which your horsepower would obviously not decrease noticeably, it would appear you did not get the joke. I can explain it further, for you, if you'd like.

Also if you keep your phone for as long as it takes a car to lose a significant portion of its horsepower (let's say 10 years, I'm sure it's measurable at that point) then I can understand why you feel it is slow compared to a new one.

Car salesman do like to use improved mileage as a sales feature, as if there is any reality where you would save tens of thousands of dollars in gas by buying a new Ford, so you never know...

Rickets fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 20, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rickets posted:

I'm trying to find the source I read earlier but having no luck at all. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm now thinking it might've been a Google blog. It had a chart at the top of the article that featured prominently two vertical bars, maybe I think? It was specifically about addressing exactly this issue, about why Androids slow over time and what specifically was being done to address it. It would've been in the last two months or so? Am I crazy?

Meanwhile, yeah, obviously a wipe and starting over should get you most of the way back to where it was, minus whether the current OS software runs worse than the original OS software which in some cases could be a major difference. I have to agree with you, it doesn't seem like it should happen at all which is why now I really want to find that piece. It was the first time I'd ever read anything that wasn't just "Apps are lovely, man, I don't know what to tell you."

I will say from the day I bought my 2011 MacBook Air to the day it died in 2017, it never got slower so it is possible for things to not get worse over time without factory resetting. RIP little buddy. :(

Edit: I know I saw that article before I saw this dumb Lifehacker post that says nothing so that places it in early August. I also know I didn't see it reported in any of the Android blogs so I'm thinking it had to be in a fairly obscure place.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 20, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wooger posted:

The Pixel didn't.

The Pixel 2 is exactly the same price as it was last year and got a bump in base storage along with whatever improvements come with the 2nd gen.

The Pixel 2 XL is about $80 more than last year if the prices are accurate, but it comes with a more advanced design (minimal bezels). The display is probably driving the price increase there.

In other news HTC has halted trading for a "pending major announcement" so I would guess a Google acquisition is about to happen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where are you seeing the coloured power buttons?
The Droid-Life leak. The white XL has a colored button.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 20, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Android thread, I have a probably very stupid newbie question. I'm going to be moving jobs in the next few months and I wanna know if it's at all possible to use an android phone as a work computer these days.

What I mean is, can I plug in a USB-C dock, and then a big screen, keyboard and mouse into say a google pixel, and do my worky things? I do 99% of my work in a terminal or text editor and browser, all of which my ancient work provided droid phone already supports, so I know the software is there. I've always wanted a universal computing device I can just plug into an office desk and suddenly be a full pc and I wonder if that's at all workable yet on latest devices?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any non-huge non-poo poo USB-C battery packs yet? Ideally supporting USB PD in some sensible form so it'll charge the Pixel at a good speed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are talking about pocket sized, no. Really not much point though as most pocket sized battery packs max out at 1-2A anyways, so you would be fine with an A-C cable. I'm not sure a pack with so few cells would be able to dump out any higher than that, no matter the interface.

My suggestion for pocketability and power would be an Anker Astro E1 and a good A-C cable. It charges the Pixel fairly rapidly and is pretty cheap.

For a larger battery, I can't speak enough good praise about the Mophie USB-C XXL. It's pricy, but it works exceedingly well and has features no other USB-C pack currently has. It also can't accidentally drain your phone like the Anker designs do.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Since Google is buying HTC what other poo poo companies should they buy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

Toys R Us? Massively expand the Google retail presence, HTC plastic will look good if they position them on the shelf next to Playskool.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Is there any way of making a long press on the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel lock my phone? The Moto G5 I upgraded from had that functionality and I still keep trying to do it because I'm an idiot who can't break habits

Bryter fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 20, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That is the best feature from a usability standpoint and I will be very upset if I eventually have to move to a phone that doesn't have it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Truga posted:

Hey Android thread, I have a probably very stupid newbie question. I'm going to be moving jobs in the next few months and I wanna know if it's at all possible to use an android phone as a work computer these days.

What I mean is, can I plug in a USB-C dock, and then a big screen, keyboard and mouse into say a google pixel, and do my worky things? I do 99% of my work in a terminal or text editor and browser, all of which my ancient work provided droid phone already supports, so I know the software is there. I've always wanted a universal computing device I can just plug into an office desk and suddenly be a full pc and I wonder if that's at all workable yet on latest devices?

This thing is the closest thing to what you're asking, if you can get a Samsung Galaxy S8. Connect the power supply, monitor, mouse and keyboard to the dock, plonk the phone into the dock, and you're set. Unfortunately it's only for the latest Samsung phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rickets posted:

It's mostly been covered above, but that's all I've ever thought it was? (coupled with, at least in the past, some amount of memory usage problems because Android didn't use fstrim, but I think it does now. I'm like 50% confident I remember that there are other usage-over-time performance degradation characteristics of emmc and other flash memory types.)

But really, from my viewpoint you're asking, "Can anyone explain why massive objects attract other massive objects that isn't explained by gravity?"

Now, the real question is: What is Google doing with the Pixel that minimizes this effect? I haven't had a Pixel long enough to even confirm they're actually minimizing this effect (as if one person can confirm such a bias-prone and difficult-to-measure effect), but I can imagine several techniques enabled by having insight into their own binary drivers and other things they get by being the hardware designer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

Are there any non-huge non-poo poo USB-C battery packs yet? Ideally supporting USB PD in some sensible form so it'll charge the Pixel at a good speed.

The Tronsmart Presto seems like the smallest one that might be decentish.

I say "might be" because I haven't really looked in to whether it will blow up your Pixel or whatever, but I've had it in a wishlist for awhile with intentions of figuring out if it will burn down your house or not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

You can use a usb-c adapter on a pixel to connect a keyboard and a mouse (something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15249) however the Pixel specifically doesn't do video over USB-C:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/10/psa-pixel-pixel-xl-not-work-googles-usb-c-hdmi-dongle/

due to them specifically not supporting that spec. At this time, there's no way to physically connect a Pixel to a screen, you'd have to use Chromecast to mirror. There used to be a root miracast work around, but that's been patched out I believe.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2016/10/how-to-connect-your-google-pixel-to-your-tv/

I think that's really stupid, but there you go.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Droid-Life leak. The white XL has a colored button.

That two tone thing looks insanely, insanely stupid but I know it's moot because who's not slapping a chunky case on it the second you pop it out of the box

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personal opinion, don't get any USB-C battery pack that's not USB-C PD as the additional overhead necessary to support that standard is generally leading to more compliant devices.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Wasn't HTC successful as an OEM before they started making phones? I imagine Google having access to all that manufacturing and supply chain would be interesting.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Calaveron posted:

That two tone thing looks insanely, insanely stupid but I know it's moot because who's not slapping a chunky case on it the second you pop it out of the box

A lot of people. I've never put a phone in a case before.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don Lapre posted:

Equifax

That two tone phone with an orange button looks absolutely terrible

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I'm trying to find the source I read earlier but having no luck at all. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm now thinking it might've been a Google blog. It had a chart at the top of the article that featured prominently two vertical bars, maybe I think? It was specifically about addressing exactly this issue, about why Androids slow over time and what specifically was being done to address it. It would've been in the last two months or so? Am I crazy?
I remember it too. It's mentioned in the Ars review. For what it's worth my Pixel is as fast as it's ever been. I thought my 6P was great at the time but even at its very best it was a piece of poo poo compared to this phone. I'll be buying the 2XL day one so that one of my family members with a crappy phone can appreciate this one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Orange button phone looks great.

edit: "Great" is too strong a word. I feel approximately the same about it as I did when I saw the leaks on the Pixel 1.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 20, 2017

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Tunga posted:

I ordered this one two days ago because it was on sale for $12, it arrives tomorrow so I'll post if it's decent or not soon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4KHXM0/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think that's really stupid, but there you go.
ugh yeah, I'll just keep using my laptop for now. It's got another 2-3 years in it I think, maybe situation will be better by then. Thanks for the info!

Mikl posted:

This thing is the closest thing to what you're asking, if you can get a Samsung Galaxy S8. Connect the power supply, monitor, mouse and keyboard to the dock, plonk the phone into the dock, and you're set. Unfortunately it's only for the latest Samsung phone.

This looks real cool and exactly what I want, but I'm going to steer clear of proprietary docks for now. Once my laptop is too old or dies, I'll probably get on it if there's no better option yet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The bezels on the Pixel 2 are so large, even the leakers are afraid to show it from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I want a panda pixel 2 (not xl)