Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

It does bore me yeah. I've said all I'm ever gonna say about him, but if people feel more strongly who cares.

lol at you remembering my posting tho

e:

Wtf happened to the director. How did he go from the beauty of the first one to loving Extraordinary Gentlement?!?!

Tbf I remember your posting pretty easily with that avatar. It's a good one.

Gentleman was apparently such a poo poo show for him to direct (specifically Connery) he announced he was retiring from directing, but has apparently been looking for work and has had his name attached then detached to several projects. Including the Crow reboot lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

MacheteZombie posted:

Gentleman was apparently such a poo poo show for him to direct (specifically Connery) he announced he was retiring from directing, but has apparently been looking for work and has had his name attached then detached to several projects. Including the Crow reboot lolol

I like how LoXG made both Connery and the director quit movies. drat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Come on son: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2qVBv0yi0

Burkion posted:

Yeah isn't it crazy how people remember other people and their opinions and habits and poo poo?

That's just cray

Exactly.

MacheteZombie posted:

I wonder who wrote it. e: just looked him up, wow: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0732702/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr3

where do they get these people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

300 isn't very funny, although it has some okay memes.

I did not write anything about 'levels of funniness'.

People are never specific, for some reason. You need to be careful.

Let's be specific: Sucker Punch has a sequence where the protagonists act out a quasi-fascist Joss Whedon empowerment fantasy, in which they enter a videogame universe and slaughter dozens of robot drones. The women put on this act specifically in order to placate and distract a horrifically disgusting nerd caricature.

When the Joss Whedon nerd realizes that he is the actual bad guy - that, from the perspective of the women, the drones represent his sexism and they might be achieving a quantum of actual empowerment - he becomes enraged that his videogames are being taken away, and murders one of them.

Now, explain how this means Joss Whedon's sexism is actually good.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I did not write anything about 'levels of funniness'.

People are never specific, for some reason. You need to be careful.

Let's be specific: Sucker Punch has a sequence where the protagonists act out a quasi-fascist Joss Whedon empowerment fantasy, in which they enter a videogame universe and slaughter dozens of robot drones. The women put on this act specifically in order to placate and distract a horrifically disgusting nerd caricature.

When the Joss Whedon nerd realizes that he is the actual bad guy - that, from the perspective of the women, the drones represent his sexism and they might be achieving a quantum of actual empowerment - he becomes enraged that his videogames are being taken away, and murders one of them.

Now, explain how this means Joss Whedon's sexism is actually good.

Um, it specifically helped him bang Eliza Dushku?

Edit: That's a sardonic question mark by the way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When SS Troopers came out, many many people did not get it at all.

The DVD commentary by Verhoven (all of his commentaries are worth listening to) opens with the story of a review that says 'It seems to think war makes facists of us all, but they were probably to obsessed with special effects to think of that.'

The whole 'the really overt themes were there by accident is not a new thing, thankfully.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Confession time, here's what I've got: never seen Blade

Confession: I kind of liked Blade Trinity.

Also, yeah, Blade is really good. It's a bit too long and a little too exposition heavy, but that's easy to forgive, it was 1998, there was a lot less data on what audiences would be fine with and what they'd need explained. Like Megaman said, everything is in the first ten minutes, but we get exposition throughout.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just hope every goon that defends 300 as satire is also willing to put their lives down fighting for Sucker Punch
and boy are things gonna get interesting ITT if Zack ever makes that Ayn Rand movie he wants to do

Do you periodically black out? People here have written long screeds on Sucker Punch. It's a good movie to think and talk about.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

Confession: I kind of liked Blade Trinity.

:frogout:

Edit: There was a germ of a good idea in there, and if they had followed through on Del Toro's original idea (basically I Am Legend, except starring Blade) I think it could have been a good movie. But holy God, Goyer is such a terrible director, and I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse on-screen Dracula than Dominic Purcell, outside of maybe Richard Roxburgh in Van Helsing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you periodically black out? People here have written long screeds on Sucker Punch. It's a good movie to think and talk about.
jesus guys I'm sorry I'm not a regular consistent reader of the comic book movie thread, I was just making sure that was a hill the thread spartans were also willing to fight and die on

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

:frogout:

Edit: There was a germ of a good idea in there, and if they had followed through on Del Toro's original idea (basically I Am Legend, except starring Blade) I think it could have been a good movie. But holy God, Goyer is such a terrible director, and I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse on-screen Dracula than Dominic Purcell, outside of maybe Richard Roxburgh in Van Helsing.

Yeah, I'm aware that it is a bad movie. There's just enough good bits scattered throughout that I can throw it on in the background. Blade tearing his way effortlessly through hordes of yuppie vampires at the end was pretty cool, and Jessica Biel being on her iPod the whole time was hilarious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

euphronius posted:

What would be the best D.C. Universe movie to see?

Wonder Woman, easily. Every other DC Uni movie is hard to recommend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Wonder Woman, easily. Every other DC Uni movie is hard to recommend.

Waiting for it to be a rental.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Um, it specifically helped him bang Eliza Dushku?

Well, exactly: even an idiot can understand that Sucker Punch depicts a triad of imaginary, symbolic and real. And the imaginary fantasy sequences are blatantly ideological fantasies: you have the 'Strong Female Characters' cutting down hordes of faceless drones that stand for a generic totalitarianism.

These 'propaganda' sequences are the ones that obviously look like 300. But this is not fascist propaganda at all; Sucker Punch's women are creating liberal propaganda. They are multicultural time-travellers from 20XX, wielding present-day spec ops weaponry to fight the failed ideologies of the past. This is exactly Black Widow in the Avengers: inexplicably fighting Egyptian mummies using wire-fu, tasers and dual-wielded handguns.

Predicting his work on Wonder Woman, Snyder puts these propaganda heroes in a WWI setting weirdly mixed with WWII and Lord Of The Rings fantasy. The message of the propaganda is plainly that WWI was not the result of industrial capitalism, but simply caused by the evil Nazis. Let's get some strong liberal feminists to refight those Nazis, and we'll maintain world peace.

But again, as you point out, there are two more levels. Beneath the Buffy/Avengers fantasy level, we have the symbolic level - the level of everyday reality where 'Buffy' is actually the actress Sarah Michelle Gellar and 'Black Widow' is actually the actress Scarlett Johannson. On this level, the actresses have some formal freedom, get money, but are still working in a sexist industry - being pressured to gently caress director Joss Whedon and so-on.

Finally, beneath everything, you have 'the desert of the real' from The Matrix, where the capitalist exploitation is laid bare. The heroes 'put on the sunglasses' and are fully aware of the ghouls and their messages. "They Live, We Sleep", etc.

Sucker Punch is branded sexist because it is not a liberal feminist film. It is not Joss Whedon feminism; it is a left-wing feminist film.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Predicting his work on Wonder Woman, Snyder puts these propaganda heroes in a WWI setting weirdly mixed with WWII and Lord Of The Rings fantasy.

I'm sorry you wrote all that, but Snyder said that his work on Wonder Woman was limited to consulting on costumes and continuity issues related to Wonder Woman and that the credit was mostly perfunctory like Stan Lee's producing credits.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm sorry you wrote all that, but Snyder said that his work on Wonder Woman was limited to consulting on costumes and continuity issues related to Wonder Woman and that the credit was mostly perfunctory like Stan Lee's producing credits.

Nah, he definitely had a hand in the setting. Apparently Jenkins wanted it to be the Crimean war, and he pushed for WW1.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, he definitely had a hand in the setting. Apparently Jenkins wanted it to be the Crimean war, and he pushed for WW1.

Nah, it was actually the opposite. Snyder wanted Crimea.

quote:

Michelle MacLaren left Wonder Woman several months ago and the studio set out to find a suitable replacement. Patty Jenkins, director of Monster, has stepped in to helm the movie. Jenkins was briefly on Thor: The Dark World, but creative differences reared their head.

One of the fights with MacLaren was about time period - Zack Snyder wanted the movie to be set in the Crimean War, while MacLaren wanted WWI.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nah, it was actually the opposite. Snyder wanted Crimea.

That's an oversimplification.

“Really early on, before Patty came on the project, we put our toe in the water with two writers. They took completely different approaches on the material—one was the Crimean War and one was World War I, but a completely different World War I experience. We had quite a Writers Guild arbitration with a number of writers because we had a lot of writers, and then there were the preceding writers and the other incarnations of the development of Wonder Woman. But for our Wonder Woman we didn’t like the ultimate take on those scripts, even though they’re talented guys, and Zack [Snyder] and Allan Heinberg then collaborated on a story."
-Charles Roven

The version of WWI shown in the final film is borne of a collaboration between, and specifically credited to, Snyder and Allan Heinberg. Snyder may have 'pushed for' a Crimean war setting, but he ultimately worked on the film's WWI narrative.

Remember: you were claiming Snyder did no actual work.

But even if it weren't factually incorrect, that would not invalidate everything I just wrote about WWI, capitalism, and ideological critique.

[Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad both contain numerous Snyder references (e.g. The Watchmen smiley in the latter), and Snyder's own films feature a great deal of intertextuality. The propane bomb from Dawn Of The Dead reappears in a Sucker Punch propaganda sequence, and is then abstracted into a recurring image in both Man Of Steel and Dawn Of Justice.]

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But can SuperMechaGodzilla see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Steel isn't even the best black superhero of the 90s

we should move onto a topic we can all agree on...like zack snyder

Best black superhero was Blankman dude.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You are forgetting Black Ninja

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

lol

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Which of the DC/Marv/X/comic movies had directors commentaries worth listening to? I usually never check out those things unless it's a novelty like Spinal Tap.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The kids obviously have been brainwashed to believe that their jouissance has been taken from them and hidden in the cinnamon swirls.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Uh, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSFaU4cN-qI

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well, yeah: it's advertised to them.

Martman posted:

The kids obviously have been brainwashed to believe that their jouissance has been taken from them and hidden in the cinnamon swirls.

Objet petit a, actually.

"What is to you just an ordinary object, is for me the focus of my libidinal investment, and this shift is caused by some unfathomable x, a je ne sais quoi in the object which cannot ever be pinned down to any of its particular properties. Objet a is therefore close to the Kantian transcendental object, since it stands for the unknown x, the noumenal core of the object beyond appearances, for what is 'in you more than yourself.'"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Best black superhero was Blankman dude.

Finally this thread is starting to make sense.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZO0ijeDh43/?taken-by=damonlindelof

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

This post is cool for two reasons. 1) I like Damon Lindelof and am curious about his Watchmen, and 2) Dark_Tzitzimine is safe after that earthquake.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
we can agree to disagree and lobby for the movie we all really wanna to see, Blankman v Meteor Man

and wow I had no idea HBO was doing a Watchmen show. I guess that's cool. I'm not sure Lindelof's credits fill me with confidence but even bad HBO is usually better than most poo poo on TV so w/e

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is a pretty serious and dramatic Justice League trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

1:00 minute in, glad Zack Snyder is doing well.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BvS: Dawn of Buttstuff

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

[quote="“Punkin Spunkin”" post="“476574051”"]
and wow I had no idea HBO was doing a Watchmen show. I guess that’s cool. I’m not sure Lindelof’s credits fill me with confidence but even bad HBO is usually better than most poo poo on TV so w/e
[/quote]

Did you watch The Leftovers? I wouldn't give Damon all the credit but god drat did I love that final season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I didn't realize Lindelof was doing the Watchmen. Or I did and I forgot. Either way that's exciting, I love his poo poo.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I didn't realize Lindelof was doing the Watchmen. Or I did and I forgot. Either way that's exciting, I love his poo poo.

Isn't he the guy everyone gets mad at because he has trouble writing endings or something?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Violator posted:

Isn't he the guy everyone gets mad at because he has trouble writing endings or something?

No, he's really good at writing endings in my opinion. He just sometimes does the

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Violator posted:

Yeah thats his reputation at least.

I think more accurately his whole oeuvre has been about how there are mysteries in life that by definition can't be solved, or can't be solved to the satisfaction of people seeking the answers. Which admittedly can make for bad viewing if you are not interested in that poo poo.

LOST I think was him dipping his toes in the waters of this idea but because of studio pressure or maybe sheer hubris they had to give a bunch of lovely answers to things like "what's the deal with this island?? Oh it's magic/psuedo-science, who could have guessed!" Prometheus and The Leftovers are significantly better about exploring these themes without copping out.

In either case Watchmen is all about big payoffs, so while Lindelof might be able to mine some of the philosophical stuff with Jon, I don't think he'll have an opportunity to drop in something totally unexplained to annoy his detractors.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah thats his reputation at least.

I think more accurately his whole oeuvre has been about how there are mysteries in life that by definition can't be solved, or can't be solved to the satisfaction of people seeking the answers. Which admittedly can make for bad viewing if you are not interested in that poo poo.

LOST I think was him dipping his toes in the waters of this idea but because of studio pressure or maybe sheer hubris they had to give a bunch of lovely answers to things like "what's the deal with this island?? Oh it's magic/psuedo-science, who could have guessed!" Prometheus and The Leftovers are significantly better about exploring these themes without copping out.

In either case Watchmen is all about big payoffs, so while Lindelof might be able to mine some of the philosophical stuff with Jon, I don't think he'll have an opportunity to drop in something totally unexplained to annoy his detractors.

Drop in the squid ending with no build up to it. Boom.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Blade

Shageletic posted:

Wtf happened to the director. How did he go from the beauty of the first one to loving Extraordinary Gentlement?!?!

MacheteZombie posted:

porfiria posted:

I like how LoXG made both Connery and the director quit movies. drat.

I looked up the director and his first directing gig four years before Blade was something called Death Machine which looks goddamned insane.
(Video spoils the entire film)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjHfgf893Ks

Good luck finding an uncut version in English though. :(

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 20, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It takes a porno to put the good version of Bat{Woman/Girl) in it. :mad:

katie caine for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Serf posted:

Drop in the squid ending with no build up to it. Boom.

Hell yea

• Locked thread