Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You know what's cool? That the music controls on the watch still don't have star (like/dislike) controle if you're listening to an iTunes Radio station.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't abandoned Radio yet since they obviously don't give a poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I shudder to think how much money they're putting into Beats 1, which I've listened to about 10 times in the two years I've had AM, and Carpool Karaoke, which you couldn't pay me to watch.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Beats 1 is absolutely amazing. Some really awesome stations. Abstract Radio just did 2 killer shows.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was really surprised the Siri face wasn't forced to be included. I can see lots and lots of people upgrading and never knowing it exists.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Beats 1 is absolutely amazing. Some really awesome stations. Abstract Radio just did 2 killer shows.

Yeah some of the shows are really good. It kills me there's no explicit stream though. I mainly listen to the hip hop shows and you might as well just wait for the replays.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiiiiiiiim!!!!! :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You did update to iOS11, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You did update to iOS11, right?

Look at that cell signal indicator.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He did because he has the (better) old school cell signal bars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only thing I can think is that I was on the iOS 11 public beta track, but deleted the profile when I got the GM, but that shouldn't make a difference since it's the same build.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I had to reboot both my phone and my watch to get the update to appear. Have you tried that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Multiple times.

EDIT: Did it again and now it's there. Shame I don't have a charger at work.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 20, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I sit in an office all day so the charger at work is super nice to have. Especially since I started using that Autosleep app (which is really nice) so I’m no longer charging the watch overnight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't want to wear mine overnight, so I don't come close to running out of power during the day, so there's no reason for me to have a charger at work. :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

:lol: siri watchface showing me Apple stock price as the last card.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dexter6 posted:

I can't help you other than confirming that I had the same problem and also couldn't find a solution. I ended up turning off notifications on my phone and using another news app that worked as expected (correctly?)

Was hoping that this would be fixed with the new OS and it appears that you can customize the news alerts now where it wasn't an option before. Here's hoping it works properly now!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the deal with the siri watch face? I don't get what it's supposed to do aside from being able to tap for siri (and I already use hey siri so have no need for that). I don't get what the cards are showing? Like the other guy it wants it show me Apple's stock price, which I never asked for.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Verge posted:

While writing my review of the Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE capabilities, I experienced notable connectivity issues. The new Watch appeared to try to connect to unknown WiFi networks instead of connecting to cellular, when I was out and about without my phone. (The issues are laid out in much more detail in the review.)

Within the first couple days of experiencing this, Apple replaced my first review unit with a second one, but that one proved to be problematic, too.

Eventually, the company issued an official statement, acknowledging the issue. “We have discovered that when Apple Watch Series 3 joins unauthenticated Wi-Fi networks without connectivity, it may at times prevent the watch from using cellular,” an Apple spokesperson said in an emailed statement. “We are investigating a fix for a future software release.”

Unfortunately, we still don’t know when that software release is expected, or exactly how it will fix the issue of the Watch connecting to cellular networks when it’s supposed to.

Well Apple really hosed up the LTE connection, this basically makes it unusable in most major cities considering how common captive portal WiFi networks are, Time Warner blanketed every square inch of my neighborhood with them, even my local park has free WiFi with a captive portal.

How on earth did they miss this? Given how it looks identical to a Series 2 and functionally the same except it can also hand off on LTE in addition to WiFi I would have guessed that they deployed hundreds of these things without the red crown. Hell, just a sticker over the red crown or even with the red crown I don't think many people would notice or if they did think anything of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Flash Gordon Ramsay”" post="“476581994”"]
So what’s the deal with the siri watch face? I don’t get what it’s supposed to do aside from being able to tap for siri (and I already use hey siri so have no need for that). I don’t get what the cards are showing? Like the other guy it wants it show me Apple’s stock price, which I never asked for.
[/quote]

You can edit/choose which apps/cards show up. It should basically learn to show what you use most. So calendar events, timers, ETAs, weather. It’s basically a more streamlined modular face that “should” learn to show you what you need.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah some of the shows are really good. It kills me there's no explicit stream though. I mainly listen to the hip hop shows and you might as well just wait for the replays.
What do you mean by “no explicit stream”? Like an archived version of the daily shows?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

[quote="“Happy Noodle Boy”" post="“476582045”"]
You can edit/choose which apps/cards show up. It should basically learn to show what you use most. So calendar events, timers, ETAs, weather. It’s basically a more streamlined modular face that “should” learn to show you what you need.
[/quote]

I sure wish I could plug it into my outlook. My company will only connect Exchange to that and no longer mail.app. Making it only tell me when my kids soccer games and practices are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What do you mean by “no explicit stream”? Like an archived version of the daily shows?
Explicit meaning naughty language

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

Explicit meaning naughty language
That doesn’t make sense, though, because he said “wait for the replay” which is always censored.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That doesn’t make sense, though, because he said “wait for the replay” which is always censored.
Nope

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well raise my rent.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Where can you pick cards because mine showed me weather this morning, but I haven’t seen anything but “Breathe” the rest of the day.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what's the deal with the siri watch face? I don't get what it's supposed to do aside from being able to tap for siri (and I already use hey siri so have no need for that). I don't get what the cards are showing? Like the other guy it wants it show me Apple's stock price, which I never asked for.

That's the default stock for the Stocks complication. It's showing the one I have selected for that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I think we get that. It's more about never using stocks at all and siri thinking it's a worthwhile insight.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I spend a good 3-4 hours a day working from a treadmill desk where I walk anywhere between 5-10 miles depending on how mindless of a task I'm doing. I got a Fitbit Flex 2 a while ago which counted almost none of my treadmill steps as my wrist was typically stationary on my keyboard. I eventually picked up some super cheap house arrest anklet looking thing to use while I'm on my treadmill and now the Fitbit is pretty close to being in complete agreement with the stats my treadmill gives me. I'm getting the S3 Apple Watch on Friday, and really can't find many great solutions for solving this problem with the Apple Watch. It's going to be pretty annoying to walk 10 miles and have my Apple Watch register none of it while it pesters me to stand. Has anyone seen any clever solutions for this problem?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Wait, why do you not think your mileage will register at your treadmill desk?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“My wrist was typically stationary at the keyboard”.

Edit: for science! I just did a quarter mile on my treadmill while holding on to the crossbar and the workout app (unsurprisingly) logged a distance of 79 feet.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 20, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hmm. I regularly run on treadmills and the distance is acceptably accurate. Must be the stationary wrist thing. Not sure how you can fix that.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Agronox posted:

Wait, why do you not think your mileage will register at your treadmill desk?

Here's a terrible stock image, but it shows how you usually use one of these. You've got an arm rest that you rest put wrists on while typing otherwise it's real hard to type at any decent speed while you're walking quickly. Looking at how I wear a watch now, it's directly on the wrist rest I use, so there isn't much reason to think it wouldn't work exactly the same as a wrist-mounted Fitbit?

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Just wear the Apple watch on your ankle while you work.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
ankle fat so what

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
This doesn't help you, but Apple is working on integration with gym equipment right? Then you could just link the treadmill and you'd be good.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Agronox posted:

ankle fat so what

Just get the milanese loop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God I had forgotten about her. Thanks.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
nms please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Three Olives posted:

Just get the milanese loop.

I'm curious if you had this saved or searched for it. I tried to find it on the MacRumors forums a while ago and tried loving everything to find it including searching for "trotter" which I remember someone referring to it as.

• Locked thread