Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't worry it'll all make sense when Lowtax moves the site to whatever site he was chattering about being awesome most recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Back when your iPhone was most useful as 1. a phone and 2. an iPod, I think full screen album art made sense. I like it much better as a small icon now when there’s a bunch of other stuff going on

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I hate that you can't change the layout in the control center. I can only reach the music controls if the phone is in my right hand and just barely.

Also, and this is really dumb, whenever I press track forward or backwards it beeps in my Bluetooth headphones. It's such a tiny thing but it's so maddening.

And battery life on my 6S is hosed but that always seems to be the case for new OS versions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two more annoyances:

Updating to ios 11 resets your "do not stream music over LTE" option to on, and ios 11 REALLY wants you to enable 'do not disturb while driving'.

Every time I've driven so far, when I get out of my car there's a nag screen to turn it on. Going into settings there's no way to shut it off. :iiam:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Why'd they move auto-brightness from the Display menu, to another layer deep under Accessibility?

Also, I've been using iPhone for like 3 years now, but how do you set it back to auto-brightness after using the Control Center slider to change it without toggling it on and off?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

Two more annoyances:

Updating to ios 11 resets your "do not stream music over LTE" option to on, and ios 11 REALLY wants you to enable 'do not disturb while driving'.

Every time I've driven so far, when I get out of my car there's a nag screen to turn it on. Going into settings there's no way to shut it off. :iiam:

I get the nag on the subway. Its the only thing I'm annoyed with in ios11.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

... but Olivia Wilde was really good in Tron Legacy (I mean, she was good despite the movie being a bit weak, with an awesome soundtrack)

a bit weak? Lol, OK.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I have driven twice since updating to iOS 11 and the 'do not disturb while driving' thing only popped up once, and it was when I got out of my car after parking. Solid feature.

I'm just real mad about the lack of force touch app switching because that's all I ever used. Maybe the fake home buttons are better but it takes so long to double press a physical button when I could just push and swipe instead. Why would they remove this. I get people maybe were accidentally activating it and hated it but they could have at least left it in as an option that's disabled by default!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So can I use DND while Driving and still have Waze on? The description makes it sound like it'll keep my screen off.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

GigaPeon posted:

Why'd they move auto-brightness from the Display menu, to another layer deep under Accessibility?

Also, I've been using iPhone for like 3 years now, but how do you set it back to auto-brightness after using the Control Center slider to change it without toggling it on and off?

It's still set to auto brightness. What you're doing is training the software the level of brightness you like in that lighting scenario(dark room, bright sunny day, etc.) It will remember and automatically adjust.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

decypher posted:

It's still set to auto brightness. What you're doing is training the software the level of brightness you like in that lighting scenario(dark room, bright sunny day, etc.) It will remember and automatically adjust.

So it forgets all those settings when I toggle it off and on? How intuitive.

Also, Tron Legacy is a better movie than OG Tron. It's not a high bar. Notice how when Legacy came out, Disney took the original off Netflix (like you couldn't even request the disc) and didn't do any special rereleases or anything. It's cause they KNEW it was a bad movie.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

iOS 11 is quite buggy. What the hell were people reporting during the beta?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

My life isn't quite a melodramatic movie, so why should my phone be?

I'm really noticing the fade-ins and fade-outs are a little much in iOS 11, can't we go back to abrupt screen changes or do we have to tax that A10/A11 chip to the fullest now that it beats Snapdragons handily? Or toggle fades?

Also, I agree with others, those extra point bold headers have to go. Yeah, if I scroll they go away but that just makes it feel to me like a hacky old MacOS 8.5 app written in HyperCard.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 20, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The need for those headers is nonexistent. That is the biggest issue... but what’s even worse is how “placeholder” and amateur their design is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

I was playing around with the flower wallpapers and maybe you guys would like them as well. I've been using these on the lock screen with the official ones on the home screen. I didn't put a lot of time in so they're not super polished, but I could fix them up a little if you guys are interested.

Why are wallpapers square now?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why are wallpapers square now?

iPads and Plus phones have landscape home screens

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

All good here.

Anecdotes are fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

Oh, duh. Thanks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Reduced the amount of fades by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion and toggled it to OFF instead of ON, now I don't see as many fades.

You'd think that slows things down, but to me it doesn't?!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

All good here.

Anecdotes are fun.

Yeah. No issues. Everything is pretty snappy and working as expected. My mission critical app (NYT Crosswords) is working just fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did they slow the folder open animation :raise:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think my only complaint with iOS 11 is that the first time I turn on the torch there's a noticeable delay. But if I turn it off and on again afterwards it's instant. No idea why it'd pause, I have a 7+ after all.

Everything else is fine and good though.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

ZeeBoi posted:

The betas were significantly worse. Lock screen was completely unusable for a while. There would be a 1.5 second delay between tapping an icon and the app opening. And tons of other poo poo.

Final is still fairly buggy, but it's come a long way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

11 is kinda glitchy for me but I haven’t encountered any major problems, just UI bugs and the occasional stutter in Music or Mail.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

GigaPeon posted:

I used to do the whole shebang of turning auto brightness off, going to a dark room and turning the slider all the way down, then turning auto brightness back on to calibrate auto brightness.

In iOS 11 I just set the brightness to the lowest in a dark room and I’m good to go. It gets to the lowest in a completely dark room but also to full brightness in bright conditions. Works like a charm so far.
Of course you can set the brightness to whatever you feel comfortable in a giving lighting condition and it will go from there. Like maybe you want to burn your retinas and have the slider to half when you’re in a completely dark room. Then it should adjust from that base point I.e. never go below half on the brightness slider.
Or maybe you don’t like the brightness in a dimly lit room and want it a bit brighter then it should remember your brightness setting for these lighting conditions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the gm is way buggier than the last couple betas were for me, which is weird. I trust them to sort it out though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GigaPeon posted:

Also, Tron Legacy is a better movie than OG Tron. It's not a high bar. Notice how when Legacy came out, Disney took the original off Netflix (like you couldn't even request the disc) and didn't do any special rereleases or anything. It's cause they KNEW it was a bad movie.

Actually, it was that people didn't return the DVDs to Netflix and Netflix couldn't order more because Disney stopped making them. I'm one of the people with a Netflix Tron disc, though in my case it wasn't intentional. I lost it in my dorm room and didn't find it until I packed up in the spring. By that point I'd already paid them for the disc and just decided to keep it.

Edit: Speaking of Tron, we're all fools for using iPhones, if we used Android our phones could look like this:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 20, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

You can get a Tron DVD from Netflix now, and they sell a “Special Edition” on Amazon. Also Tron is like ten thousand times more fun and creative than Legacy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

not really

they're not landscape they're square

see, because iPad unlike iPhone is actually used quite a lot in landscape, the wallpaper has to look ok in landscape. but it also has to look ok in portrait. the easy solution - and it's why Insta was always square - is to just make it a high resolution square. that's why iPad wallpapers are square. and you want to oversample them (read: high resolution) because of the parallax effect, so not only do you have to zoom to fit in each orientation, but you need some edges to play with, too. high res square works best. so, they're high res squares.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I rewatched Legacy recently and decided to watch Tron first.

I couldn't finish Tron because of boredom.

(not saying Legacy was great or anything, but I certainly enjoyed it more than Tron)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tron's plodding pace is a product of its era.

Legacy isn't as good a movie but it's more fun to watch because it was made for a modern audience.

Plus the visuals are amazing. Tron looked great too, but Legacy is holy poo poo mode.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Are there any cool ARKit demos/apps/games to check out?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

I miss my goofy Retorika icons for Android (especially the Awful app frog) and of course the swipe down panel to quick switch wifi sources. :smith:

iphones are boring

gently caress me sideways, that Android screenshot didn't get enough love.
What the hell is going on with those icons? Why are some rounded squares, others just glyphs, and some are glyphs with backgrounds? Why are the folder icons so terrible and apparently not actually keeping anything inside of the folders? Why are the Calendar and Calculator icons so skinny and unlike any other icon? What's with the alignment on the battery widget, and why do you need that instead of just displaying the percentage in the status bar?
Lord above. iOS 11 has plenty of UI issues and may be boring, but at least it's not that nigh unreadable mess.

e: get off my lawn

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Whoever kept posting that Screen Recording doesn't work in landscape mode (i.e. it makes everything portrait and thus useless for a lot of games) was flat-out wrong. On my first attempt, just to see how it went, it recorded a landscape game just fine. No editing required afterwards. If it helps, I started the recording after already being in landscape--the Control Center was all wide and stupidly does not even fit within the width of the screen on a SE, first time I ever saw a scrollbar in Control Center.

Now I can post all my sick Taiko no Tatsujin full combos on social media.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GigaPeon posted:

Are there any cool ARKit demos/apps/games to check out?
MeasureKit is the ruler you've probably seen a bunch of videos of online. It's a little bit finicky for me but it might be better on a Plus with the dual camera for 3D room sensing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Plus the visuals are amazing. Tron looked great too, but Legacy is holy poo poo mode.
It sounded amazing in a real IMAX theater. That's about all I can say positive about it.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I kind of want to upgrade my 6S to an 8 and set it up as a new device. I know Apple is adding something to carry messages across devices in a few months, but is there an easy way to restore my current messages without doing a full restore?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

A long long time ago (I seriously can't remember when I first did this) I set my phone to show the numerical signal strength in dBm rather than have the bars / dots. After every upgrade, the phone kept that preference and things were fine.

I upgraded my phone to iOS 11, and aside from a bunch of other, small issues I'm having with the phone, I'm back to bars. Anybody out there know how to enable the numerical signal strength again?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Golashes posted:

I kind of want to upgrade my 6S to an 8 and set it up as a new device. I know Apple is adding something to carry messages across devices in a few months, but is there an easy way to restore my current messages without doing a full restore?

I just reset my phone for iOS 11 and restored an iCloud backup (that was the original plan; I accidentally just upgraded my previous 10.3.x install.) That option is already implemented in iOS 11, so if you have both your 6S and 8 on hand, you can do that transfer, as long as both devices are on iOS 11. Otherwise, iCloud backups save your messages and is probably the easiest way to restore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

sleepwalkers posted:

gently caress me sideways, that Android screenshot didn't get enough love.
What the hell is going on with those icons? Why are some rounded squares, others just glyphs, and some are glyphs with backgrounds? Why are the folder icons so terrible and apparently not actually keeping anything inside of the folders? Why are the Calendar and Calculator icons so skinny and unlike any other icon? What's with the alignment on the battery widget, and why do you need that instead of just displaying the percentage in the status bar?
Lord above. iOS 11 has plenty of UI issues and may be boring, but at least it's not that nigh unreadable mess.

e: get off my lawn
get off MY lawn! :corsair:

Nova launcher lets you customize every single aspect of folders and I liked that you could feature one of them instead of the mini-grid iOS poo poo......and the icon packs let you do other goofy poo poo.

However, regardless of how un-hip my screen was, the Android Awful App Frog is the best and tied the screen together, man.
...........this thing is boring

the calculator and battery apps own too! plus on a gigantic Nexus 6p you have real estate to spare

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 20, 2017