Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

fallenturtle posted:

I think you didn't understand my question.

No we did it's just that...

fallenturtle posted:

To me that argument doesn't hold water because I can't think of any life changing decisions that would change based on the odds of being raped (short of going home with the rapey looking guy/gal you would have normally avoided and she/he ends up being a awesome guy/gal and you marry him/her.)

This isn't an actual point. Just because you can't come up with any decisions you would make differently (regarding which, either you're not thinking very hard about this at all or you're being purposefully obtuse or disingenuous) doesn't mean that none exist, it means you're not a very creative thinker and you're not tuned into this poo poo. That's all.

And there's tons. I am a woman and while I myself don't experience that paralyzing fear, I know plenty of women who alter their daily activities or routines to avoid being alone in situations which could be dangerous, from where they are when, to what they wear, to who they surround themselves with and what they consume - because all of these things will be used to determine their "responsibility" should something bad happen to them. And even without that, regardless of whose fault the rape is considered socially, they just don't want it to happen, they don't want to have those wrenching internal dialogues about if they deserved it or not so they take proactive steps to stay out of harm's way.

fallenturtle posted:

(short of going home with the rapey looking guy/gal you would have normally avoided and she/he ends up being a awesome guy/gal and you marry him/her.)

Woof this is not great, your only example is a time when someone's fear of rape leaves the other person (you?) "shorted" an interaction that...you weren't entitled to anyway. I feel like you're broadcasting more here than you realize you are. Do you, uh, feel passed over often?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sHB2v5yl2E

David Pakman interviews that Google guy. I'm watching it right now, only a few minutes in, but he seems to be bragging that left-wing networks refused to invite him on their shows because he would make them look bad. :lol:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fallenturtle posted:

I think you didn't understand my question.

She's saying that she would have lived her life differently had she believed she had an equal chance of getting rapped as men do instead of a greater chance and therefore its wrong to make women feel like victims. To me that argument doesn't hold water because I can't think of any life changing decisions that would change based on the odds of being raped (short of going home with the rapey looking guy/gal you would have normally avoided and she/he ends up being a awesome guy/gal and you marry him/her.)

I remember in college one of my friends Katie(not real name) called me, her roommate got in late and was scared to get out of the car in the parking lot so Katie asked if I could go and walk her roommate to her dorm. This wasn't some weird set up and flirt thing either, she was legitimately afraid. I never knew if anything had happened at that campus, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now imagine the ramifications of that, existing in a world where even getting home late puts your life at a non-negligible risk of rape. How many jobs are some women not going to take because they have to walk to far from the parking lot to get to their apartment/dorm when they get home. How many networking events might they decline because of the time it gets out and they don't want to be alone downtown at night? How many women have pepper spray attached to their key chain vs how many men? How might that stress effect the choices you make in life?

Look, I can't speak for women, I am not one. But, I think it is fairly obvious that women are far more likely to be raped than men and this is a fact of life for most women. Point of fact, something like 90% of adult rape victims are female (according to this document from the US Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics, https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/saycrle.pdf) And if you don't believe that a increased fear of rape wouldn't greatly effect the way you live your life....well, than I don't know what to say.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 20, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, finished watching. Probably the highlight of that interview was the Google guy saying that managers at Google keep a "blacklist" of conservative employees that they share with managers of other large companies to prevent conservatives from being hired. :lol:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, finished watching. Probably the highlight of that interview was the Google guy saying that managers at Google keep a "blacklist" of conservative employees that they share with managers of other large companies to prevent conservatives from being hired. :lol:

https://twitter.com/jamesadamore/status/908016532835287040
Considering he doesn't seem to understand how Google works I can't imagine he was that great at his job. Maybe the problem here, James... is you.

Also his twitter bio: "Nerd centrist interested in open discussions and improving the world by fixing perverse incentive structures. Author of the pro-diversity #GoogleMemo." God what an insufferable prick.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

aware of dog posted:

Also his twitter bio: "Nerd centrist interested in open discussions and improving the world by fixing perverse incentive structures. Author of the pro-diversity #GoogleMemo." God what an insufferable prick.

wasn't his original username like, @firedfortruth or something? guy is basically just jerking off to himself at this point

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lovechop posted:

wasn't his original username like, @firedfortruth or something? guy is basically just jerking off to himself at this point

Yup. Also, his website, firedfortruth.com has a painting of a person in a guillotine as the header image :lol:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

aware of dog posted:

Considering he doesn't seem to understand how Google works I can't imagine he was that great at his job. Maybe the problem here, James... is you.

ahh yes, the new hot fallacy all the millenials are using: Appeal to Popular Search Engine Queries

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lovechop posted:

i recommend seeing this through to the end just to see the completely hosed up world view of a sociopath fall to pieces

Video game dudebros failing at basic discourse isn't a genre of comedy I thought I needed until I found these debates.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

Please, enlighten me.

Here is a really simple one. Having a greater chance of being raped means you're less likely to go out after dark by yourself, even on places like university campuses. There is a reason women hold "take back the night" campaigns to make it safer for them to walk around after dark.

Here is another simple one. Having a greater chance of being raped means you're more paranoid about drinking out of open containers at a bar or party, given that those containers can and have been spiked.

Here is another simple one. Having a greater chance of being raped means you sometimes need to physically remove yourself from mixed environments, and need separate accommodations like women-only train cars.

There are many others, but you need to apply some basic imagination here.

Note: fallenturtle may be JAQing off here and may be a parachute account

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 20, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

ahh yes, the new hot fallacy all the millenials are using: Appeal to Popular Search Engine Queries

Google search engine results are tailored to each user. He should know this better than anyone, meaning he's either lying or a lot dumber than we could ever imagine.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This isn't an actual point. Just because you can't come up with any decisions you would make differently (regarding which, either you're not thinking very hard about this at all or you're being purposefully obtuse or disingenuous) doesn't mean that none exist, it means you're not a very creative thinker and you're not tuned into this poo poo. That's all.
I discounted and therefore didn't consider day to day decisions that could add up to life changing decisions, and for that I apologize. I thought she was talking about large decisions like what college to go to, what car to buy, etc.

quote:

And there's tons. I am a woman and while I myself don't experience that paralyzing fear, I know plenty of women who alter their daily activities or routines to avoid being alone in situations which could be dangerous, from where they are when, to what they wear, to who they surround themselves with and what they consume - because all of these things will be used to determine their "responsibility" should something bad happen to them. And even without that, regardless of whose fault the rape is considered socially, they just don't want it to happen, they don't want to have those wrenching internal dialogues about if they deserved it or not so they take proactive steps to stay out of harm's way.

I know, and it sucks that this is the culture we live in and it needs to be changed. Do you believe, as Allison does, that if you were told that men and women had equals odds of being raped, that such decisions would be made less carefully?

quote:

Woof this is not great, your only example is a time when someone's fear of rape leaves the other person (you?) "shorted" an interaction that...you weren't entitled to anyway. I feel like you're broadcasting more here than you realize you are. Do you, uh, feel passed over often?

I was looking for examples or decisions that would be made differently and lead to positive life changes. I will change it to a different one.

No, I'm not broadcasting. I did feel passed over often in my single days (I've been in a relationship for almost a decade at this point) but that was more of an issue with being a timid and ignored (as opposed to actively hitting on women and being turned out).

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sHB2v5yl2E

David Pakman interviews that Google guy. I'm watching it right now, only a few minutes in, but he seems to be bragging that left-wing networks refused to invite him on their shows because he would make them look bad. :lol:

around 21:35: "I have more expertise in this than the people at Google doing the diversity programs". :psyduck:

I keep getting amazed at how much he has no idea how Google operates.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Madmarker posted:

I remember in college one of my friends Katie(not real name) called me, her roommate got in late and was scared to get out of the car in the parking lot so Katie asked if I could go and walk her roommate to her dorm. This wasn't some weird set up and flirt thing either, she was legitimately afraid. I never knew if anything had happened at that campus, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now imagine the ramifications of that, existing in a world where even getting home late puts your life at a non-negligible risk of rape. How many jobs are some women not going to take because they have to walk to far from the parking lot to get to their apartment/dorm when they get home. How many networking events might they decline because of the time it gets out and they don't want to be alone downtown at night? How many women have pepper spray attached to their key chain vs how many men? How might that stress effect the choices you make in life?

I hadn't considered not taking a job because of a fear of rape during the commute. I was myopic. Thank you.

quote:

Look, I can't speak for women, I am not one. But, I think it is fairly obvious that women are far more likely to be raped than men and this is a fact of life for most women. Point of fact, something like 90% of adult rape victims are female (according to this document from the US Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics, https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/saycrle.pdf) And if you don't believe that a increased fear of rape wouldn't greatly effect the way you live your life....well, than I don't know what to say.

Just to be clear, I know and accept the statistics are that women are more likely than men to get raped. It was Allison, the Honey Badger, who insisted it was an equal chance being men and women. I still disagree with her conclusion though, but maybe that's because I'm also a guy. It seems to me that if there was just as a great an odd of a guy being raped as a woman that the answer isn't that women can be less vigilant but that men should be just as vigilant (being her contention that its not that female rape is overreported but that male rape is underreported).

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Here is a really simple one. Having a greater chance of being raped means you're less likely to go out after dark by yourself, even on places like university campuses. There is a reason women hold "take back the night" campaigns to make it safer for them to walk around after dark.

Here is another simple one. Having a greater chance of being raped means you're more paranoid about drinking out of open containers at a bar or party, given that those containers can and have been spiked.

Here is another simple one. Having a greater chance of being raped means you sometimes need to physically remove yourself from mixed environments, and need separate accommodations like women-only train cars.

There are many others, but you need to apply some basic imagination here.

I'm cognizant of all these possible situations. As I said above, I discounted and therefore didn't consider these small decisions adding up to life changes and was myopically only thinking about larger decisions like, what college to go to.

quote:

Note: fallenturtle may be JAQing off here and may be a parachute account
*sigh* No.

Serious question: should I delete these posts?

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 20, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fallenturtle posted:

I discounted and therefore didn't consider day to day decisions that could add up to life changing decisions, and for that I apologize. I thought she was talking about large decisions like what college to go to, what car to buy, etc.

actually...

http://www.people.hbs.edu/mluca/CollegeScandals.pdf

Aramis posted:

around 21:35: "I have more expertise in this than the people at Google doing the diversity programs". :psyduck:

I keep getting amazed at how much he has no idea how Google operates.

the stubborn nerdy white guy that's never faced adversity before who is dying on the hill of his own elemental correctness at the expense of his career has an overinflated estimation of his own abilities, you say :thunk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

boner confessor posted:

the stubborn nerdy white guy that's never faced adversity before who is dying on the hill of his own elemental correctness at the expense of his career has an overinflated estimation of his own abilities, you say :thunk:

lol if you think this guy isn't still going to manage to score some cushy six figure job (or high five figure job that will turn into a six figure one within a few years).

For people like this, it is virtually impossible to fail life.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

I stand corrected... points for house Honey Badger Brigade.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

lol if you think this guy isn't still going to manage to score some cushy six figure job (or high five figure job that will turn into a six figure one within a few years).

For people like this, it is virtually impossible to fail life.

i dunno, he's demonstrated a willingness to create a huge public relations mess and dig in his heels if he disagrees with corporate policy

regardless of his skills, nobody wants to employ a potential saboteur who will throw a tantrum and call the news if they don't like what their bosses are doing. dude has demonstrated he is not a team player and absent that he's just another dime a dozen highly educated sexual harrasment lawsuit waiting to happen white guy computer toucher. he's on his fourteenth minute now and once people forget about him he'll have a long, painful job search ahead of him as all the doors he's been accustomed to opening for him all his life remain firmly closed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lightning Lord posted:

Adventure games, text and graphical, were a very popular genre in the 80s and 90s mostly focused on solving puzzles, experiencing a story and talking to characters that was usually non-violent. It basically launched gaming on the personal computer

And their direct descendants, the Visual Novel genre, is kind of re-surging among indie developers, especially Queer or other minority ones. Many of them play/expand on the format in ways that develop the games beyond 'A book with pictures'. There's tons of games out there without aggressive violence as the core gameplay hook, you just have to look a little deeper into the medium than a surface level gaze.

I recommend Christine Love's work (Digital: A Love story, Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel, and Lady Killer In A Bind) for fantastic games in that genre. Also check out We KNow The Devil and that studios upcoming game about Mecha pilots at war as a framing device for a story about 'the relationship we develop in conflict' HEAVEN WILL BE MINE.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fallenturtle posted:

Probably not. You did come off weirdly aggressive at first, but, now, it's clear you weren't arguing in bad faith.

boner confessor posted:

i dunno, he's demonstrated a willingness to create a huge public relations mess and dig in his heels if he disagrees with corporate policy

regardless of his skills, nobody wants to employ a potential saboteur who will throw a tantrum and call the news if they don't like what their bosses are doing. dude has demonstrated he is not a team player and absent that he's just another dime a dozen highly educated sexual harrasment lawsuit waiting to happen white guy computer toucher. he's on his fourteenth minute now and once people forget about him he'll have a long, painful job search ahead of him as all the doors he's been accustomed to opening for him all his life remain firmly closed

But that's discrimination, Johnny! :monocle:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

*sigh* No.

No, you shouldn't, so long as you're willing to listen and try to understand.

As many as 1 in 5 women are raped . As many as 1 in 4 experience sexual harassment (these statistics are a more complicated discussion, but suffice to say the numbers are quite high). Any woman who hasn't been raped or harassed may know someone who has. This modifies their behaviour in a variety of both subtle and overt ways that makes their experiences and fears fundamentally different from yours or mine. No, not all of them will be uniformly affected by this, or affected to the same degree, but a great many will carry those scars and fears for a long time. Applying some research and imagination will go a long way to breaking out of your own shell of experiences.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

aware of dog posted:

Wasn't sure if I should post something he tweeted earlier here, but since this is here I guess I will.

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/910547650407055360

It's absolutely amazing logic.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

BirdOfPlay posted:

Probably not. You did come off weirdly aggressive at first, but, now, it's clear you weren't arguing in bad faith.

Sorry, I was reacting to Who What Now who put me in a defensive mindset.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

No, you shouldn't, so long as you're willing to listen and try to understand.
I'm just paranoid of being probated. I'm always willing to listen and try to understand. Being that Kevin Logan didn't challenge her on the victim-hood leading to alternative life decisions did make me wonder if i was just missing something obvious.

quote:

As many as 1 in 5 women are raped . As many as 1 in 4 experience sexual harassment (these statistics are a more complicated discussion, but suffice to say the numbers are quite high). Any woman who hasn't been raped or harassed may know someone who has. This modifies their behavior in a variety of both subtle and overt ways that makes their experiences and fears fundamentally different from yours or mine. No, not all of them will be uniformly affected by this, or affected to the same degree, but a great many will carry those scars and fears for a long time. Applying some research and imagination will go a long way to breaking out of your own shell of experiences.
Right. I was failing to see the small brush stroke's influence on the big picture.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ChristopherRobin posted:

Wasn't sure if I should post something he tweeted earlier here, but since this is here I guess I will.

yeah i can't imagine this guy would have any difficulty finding a job as well compensated as google

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
this is what happens when someone who's kind of a dumbass is told repeatedly that they're incredibly smart. impressive to see it all unfold

also shaun's new vid is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FH1Jl62cY

best thumbnails on yt

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lovechop posted:

this is what happens when someone who's kind of a dumbass is told repeatedly that they're incredibly smart. impressive to see it all unfold

the dude was an academic wonder who developed his arrogance through his rapid climb up the educational ladder. this is just him headbutting the "real world" over and over to hilarious, self destructive effect

turns out once you've left schooling and you're holding down a job at a private company, the technical correctness of your opinions no longer outweighs the liability you present to your employers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ChristopherRobin posted:

"D&D terms"?

"troll"?

"race"?

..."fishmech"?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Discendo Vox posted:

"D&D terms"?

I'm assuming he means Grand Dragon and Grand Wizard. But even then I still have no idea what the gently caress he is talking about.

Edit: Ok, I know what's going on. THere are two other tweets before those.

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/910541338961108993

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/910542743645990914

Holy poo poo, this dude is a dumbass.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 20, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm assuming he means Grand Dragon and Grand Wizard. But even then I still have no idea what the gently caress he is talking about.

"Can't we all just admit Hitler's mustache was kind of sexy?"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

I'm just paranoid of being probated.

I don't think anyone is going to probate you so long as you're arguing in good faith. I think part of the problem is that we're all on a hair trigger because of the endless parade of douchebags on the internet JAQing off repeatedly about these issues. People routinely ask women/PoCs to justify their fears and experiences, and that can basically be exhausting and depressing (especially if you're not an activist).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Noted hero klansman...

fallenturtle posted:

"Can't we all just admit Hitler's mustache was kind of sexy?"

Hitler's ghost can eat my rear end, the toothbrush mustache was alright. :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BigRed0427 posted:

drat he's dumb.

Everyone knows Psychopomp is way cooler.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fallenturtle posted:

I'm just paranoid of being probated.

unless you're being a massive dumbass, obviously trolling, getting super nasty with personal attacks, or having an obvious meltdown you're not going to get probated in d&d for disagreeing with people or getting dogpiled. being willing to listen, back down, and apologize goes a long way around here and if it seems like there's a consensus hivemind that's quick to anger it's because many of us regulars have been discussing the same topics for years and so it's super tedious to have someone pop up and advocate a long discredited position (which isn't what you were doing itt but it's common enough for other people to do it)

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Grand wizard and grand dragon are not D&D terms. I mean, Goblin is, sure, but pretty sure that's it :colbert: dude can't even white nerd correctly. What a loser.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I don't think anyone is going to probate you so long as you're arguing in good faith. I think part of the problem is that we're all on a hair trigger because of the endless parade of douchebags on the internet JAQing off repeatedly about these issues. People routinely ask women/PoCs to justify their fears and experiences, and that can basically be exhausting and depressing (especially if you're not an activist).

I understand... I wasn't asking for justification, such fears and experiences are fully justified. I just didn't fully grok, from my position of privilege, the life altering ramifications from making everyday decisions that factor in the threat of rape.

boner confessor posted:

unless you're being a massive dumbass, obviously trolling, getting super nasty with personal attacks, or having an obvious meltdown you're not going to get probated in d&d for disagreeing with people or getting dogpiled. being willing to listen, back down, and apologize goes a long way around here and if it seems like there's a consensus hivemind that's quick to anger it's because many of us regulars have been discussing the same topics for years and so it's super tedious to have someone pop up and advocate a long discredited position (which isn't what you were doing itt but it's common enough for other people to do it)

I got probated last month for what I assume must fall under the "massive dumbass" category because I never really understood what I did wrong. Since the rules are basically "the Mods are always right" I didn't want to push it, but the result is that I'm paranoid I'm going to gently caress up again without realizing it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

The funniest thing about his take on the KKK titles is even the KKK thinks they are ridiculous. It is literally the goddamn point, to make them sound ridiculous so that white folk underestimate them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lovechop posted:

A sign of every good revolutionary.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

I understand... I wasn't asking for justification, such fears and experiences are fully justified. I just didn't fully grok, from my position of privilege, the life altering ramifications from making everyday decisions that factor in the threat of rape.

I got probated last month for what I assume must fall under the "massive dumbass" category because I never really understood what I did wrong. Since the rules are basically "the Mods are always right" I didn't want to push it, but the result is that I'm paranoid I'm going to gently caress up again without realizing it.

Pretty much everyone gets probated sometimes. It's a fact of life. I think Gyuorvich or whatever their name is, probated me for some petty reason. :p

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fallenturtle posted:

imo it's because you were trying the "just asking questions" bit trying to tease an explanation out of another poster as to why it's skeevy for a grown man to hit on a 13 year old in the context of why that shouldn't be reportable to youtube moderation

just asking "why?" with a contentious opinion like that is tedious posting, if you're going to go against the grain of a thread and get dogpiled it's better to fully substantiate your own opinion rather than demand someone else explain theirs to you, or just drop it

also getting probated is no big deal it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
..."grand wizard"'s a d&d term? I can't find it anywhere.

Cripes, if the guy wanted to try to defend it from that angle, cite Isle of the Ape!

• Locked thread