Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Earnestly posted:

Dude, I like slowbeef and I like his content. I don't even mind the baby on his streams, I think it's kind of endearing. If he had a patron, I would donate because I've been a fan for almost a decade. I just don't like the stream notifications. They render the whole thing unwatchable for me. and because of that I am taking my ball and going home thank you

Slowbeef has had a Patreon for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Earnestly posted:

If he had a patron, I would donate because I've been a fan for almost a decade.

He does

I'd link it but I'm not sure if linking to other people's Patreons is off limits too here, but he's slowbeef on Patreon too

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
"If you don't like it, don't watch it" is a dumb way to shut down criticism. It's definitely true to a point, i.e. don't needlessly poo poo continuously on something people may enjoy, but at the same time things should be allowed to be critiqued so people can improve, both the people being critiqued and the people who may want to incorporate the advice in their own projects.

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Some of these people do stream as their primary and often only income, so in those cases I don't mind them doing what they need to do in order to keep a roof over their head. Is it annoying and obtrusive? Absolutely! But I am willing to accept that this is how it is and even join in and subscribe because I don't enjoy spending my days being a negative clancy anymore.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mega64 posted:

"If you don't like it, don't watch it" is a dumb way to shut down criticism. It's definitely true to a point, i.e. don't needlessly poo poo continuously on something people may enjoy, but at the same time things should be allowed to be critiqued so people can improve, both the people being critiqued and the people who may want to incorporate the advice in their own projects.

It's also why television has devolved into reality tv programing; it's cheap to produce and if you don't like it there's bound to be something on the 2000 channels you pay for. :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
People get very upset at 1s long clips played at -3db, huh.

I don't remember what Slowbeef uses for his streams, I get the feeling it isn't THAT obtrusive because of that. I watch Pat from SBFP relatively often and his is just a chime with a message on the overlay of the stream. Maximillian Dood has some ACTUALLY obnoxious ones and I got to experience that on my search for decent DBFZ streams. Dude was getting bombed by donations and subs too so it was worse, but at least he turned sounds off for a while when it started becoming a real problem. Usually it's just a quick chime/voice clip and the streamer goes "thanks for the donation" and moves on, sometimes they have messages attached and I think it makes for good stream interaction, which is why I actually HATE speech-to-text, because it just incentivizes copypasta and noise spam.

Gandor posted:

Some of these people do stream as their primary and often only income, so in those cases I don't mind them doing what they need to do in order to keep a roof over their head. Is it annoying and obtrusive? Absolutely! But I am willing to accept that this is how it is and even join in and subscribe because I don't enjoy spending my days being a negative clancy anymore.

Streaming is just busking for the Internet age. You do your thing, you try to engage people and hope they throw some dollars your way. Sometimes you hit it big and become a legit performer.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I would donate a dollar if the incentive was to dunk the streamer in an active volcano

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dias posted:

Streaming is just busking for the Internet age. You do your thing, you try to engage people and hope they throw some dollars your way. Sometimes you hit it big and become a legit performer.

I would lose my poo poo and the entirety of my wallet if a steet busker had a text to voice box that let me spam @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ into the subway car/station.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Mega64 posted:

But in this case it's pretty valid. Those notifications are a source of revenue, which means they are going to stay up. I'd agree with the constructive criticism idea if there were suggestions on how to maybe tone down the notifications a little or use something less intrusive, but they aren't going to go away if they're making the streamer money regardless of what people think.

It isn't going away, so either offer a better idea that will make them more money or don't watch it if it makes them unwatchable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

notifications are nowhere near as bad as facecams, gently caress facecams forever

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some of the Patreon-funded channels I follow wait until the end of the video to acknowledge and thank their Patrons. End of a stream may not always work, but at least thanking new subscribers from the last stream at the start of the current stream would include that sense of involvement without distracting during the stream.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Quit gettin mad at videos of video games sheesh

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Mega64 posted:

I think there's a big gap between "The content is flawed in a way that can be improved thus to mutual benefit," which is critique, and "The very idea of asking for money for producing the content is 'fellating subscribers' and therefore anathema to the very idea of content production i.e. people should not do things if they have any desire to be directly paid for doing them by some portion of the people enjoying the content," which is a fundamental misunderstanding of what it is to be human and live in a capitalist society. I agree wholeheartedly that some of the streams I watch on VOD have incredibly annoying notifications for events, and that in addition to the obnoxious nature of the notifications themselves, the streamers tend to stop what they're doing to acknowledge them directly, slowing down the stream even further after the notification has ended. However, to suggest that the only answer is for people who need or even just want money should shut down their operations and, to coin a phrase, "get a real job" doesn't improve streaming or benefit anyone, not even the person who suggested it would be so.

I remind everyone of the mental exercise of picturing a world without advertising. As much as we try to ignore, avoid, or even eliminate advertising in our lives, consider the people who make the content alongside which advertising appears, and consider further where they would derive income if not for the paid advertisements. There would be no over-the-air radio or television, but a service where the fees alone would fund the creation of content - it wouldn't be enough just to have millions of people willing to watch the programs, because all that would matter would be the number of people willing to pay to watch them. (I think the BBC already functions this way.) Every website would require a paid subscription, in addition to the fees to get online in the first place, and any website that fails to recoup its operating costs would have to shut down. I'm sure many people reading this have some content that they love, but wouldn't be able to pay for if it didn't get money from advertising and had to charge users directly. Even non-ad-supported sites like Wikipedia rely on donations that would surely dry up if the people donating also had to donate to every other website they visited, however rarely, and the giant banners (or even bits of "content") asking for money on those websites tend to be just as jarring as the ads they replace.

In short, obnoxious content that makes money will always accompany enjoyable content that doesn't. If the only thing you can do about it is insult people for daring to make some money for doing something you clearly must want them to do, or you wouldn't be complaining about it, then perhaps you'd like to join the ranks of those who make unlimited free content for other people while making your money elsewhere, since that's the only valid model in your world. This isn't addressed at Mega64, who I don't think would make the argument I'm trying to squash, but anyone who can't get past the idea of paying for their entertainment by putting up with the necessary annoyances of the format.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

notifications are nowhere near as bad as facecams, gently caress facecams forever

I've seen a fair few streamers without facecams have people tell them to get off Twitch if they're not going to follow the accepted rules of Twitch streamer ~*culture*~

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Man, I'm here in 2017 and I have some BAD news to tell you, time-traveller from 2007.

Mega64 posted:

Some of the Patreon-funded channels I follow wait until the end of the video to acknowledge and thank their Patrons. End of a stream may not always work, but at least thanking new subscribers from the last stream at the start of the current stream would include that sense of involvement without distracting during the stream.

It depends a lot on the game, on your type of stream and all that noise. If you're stopping every five seconds to acknowledge notifications, that fuckin' sucks, but if you're playing a slower game you can take a minute off to catch up on donations every now and then.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Stream notifications are good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYIoo6m2dRg

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Let's spill some Patreon secrets. Share whatcha got.

I toss ARavingLoon 5bux a month and he has my Student Amazon Prime. That is as close to love that you can proclaim in a videogame-watcher to videogame-recorder-archiver non-relationship. The Discord has like 5-10 regulars and Loon does respond a bit in it. Feels like being in a secret wizard club if you hop in there.

But nothing gets talked about on stream. Durring the art. It is a decision. If you are the type that wants minimal intrusion, if you were on that side of the internet arguement, check him out. He is what you are looking for as an example of best case scenario.

But a part of me looks over at the superinteractive hollers at folks for stepping into chat style streamers... What's that like? Is it nice?

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 21, 2017

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
My gamer secret is to only give gifts to people i know in real life

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Notifications are mostly fine, facecams are fine when used right, like if you're playing a lot of horror stuff and you're not just mugging for the camera. That or if you're Rich Evans and Jack, in that case keep the camera on forever.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Earnestly posted:

Dude, I like slowbeef and I like his content. I don't even mind the baby on his streams, I think it's kind of endearing. If he had a patron, I would donate because I've been a fan for almost a decade. I just don't like the stream notifications. They render the whole thing unwatchable for me. and because of that I am taking my ball and going home thank you
It is absolutely A-OK to not like the notifications, it's just that as long as it makes streamers that extra cash you're gonna find very few streamers that you actually want to watch going forward.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It's weird how resistant some people are to people monetizing their content. Hell, even I have notifications on my stream and I don't even make money but before I stop playing the game to thank every follower or autohost I get I'd rather just have a notification do it for me. Which obviously doesn't mean I'm not thankful I just prefer not to have my stream taken over by it and that's why I have short little, soundless, notifications. It's how I prefer to do it. I watch plenty of streamers with more involved notifications, that give a quick verbal thanks for whatever it was too, and that's fine. It doesn't actually harm the stream, really.

The only thing I find annoying is when some morons make their notifications fill the entire screen, placed strategically to obstruct as much of the game as humanly possible and/or have the sounds way too loud.

Get Patreons, accept donations, let your audience engage without money too, and most importantly: have fun. Don't let some idiots on the internet tell you you're not allowed to make money with your dumdum pseudo-hobby and that you're not worth anything. Don't buy into this stupid trend of sarcastic "lol they should get a patreon lol" that's become common enough for me to notice. Just don't fill your entire screen with useless poo poo and we're golden in my book.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dias posted:

TieTuesday has a notification that plays for about 30 seconds, is basically a series of quacks that changes pitch every so often, and is played regularly enough that I either mute the stream, take off my headphones, or leave the stream.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TieTuesday has a notification that plays for about 30 seconds, is basically a series of quacks that changes pitch every so often, and is played regularly enough that I either mute the stream, take off my headphones, or leave the stream.

Oh the 50.00 and up donation one? I honestly start laughing when that one plays because it usually derails every train of thought.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh the 50.00 and up donation one? I honestly start laughing when that one plays because it usually derails every train of thought.

The one with the dog where the "song" speeds up and changes pitch, so maybe, yeah?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love the dog one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

I love the dog one.

The who?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Baba O'Riley.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The one with the dog where the "song" speeds up and changes pitch, so maybe, yeah?

Tie's notifications are good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

Tie's notifications are good.

I was trying to drag that on longer.

Tie's other notifications are fine :shrug:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
If you wanna play videogames for a living that might be a sign you don't want to grow the gently caress up. Streamers don't often have the same maturity as your average functioning adult.

Its like Peter Pan except the lost boys play Tekken all day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Putty posted:

If you wanna play videogames for a living that might be a sign you don't want to grow the gently caress up. Streamers don't often have the same maturity as your average functioning adult.

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Putty posted:

And how is this negatively affecting your life in any way? Stop being an rear end in a top hat and just let people enjoy things, you miserable gently caress.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Beware the sound of controller clacking on the open seas... That crocodile ate me gamecube controller and wants more!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's bad GBS bait.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Waffleman_ posted:

And how is this negatively affecting your life in any way? Stop being an rear end in a top hat and just let people enjoy things, you miserable gently caress.

It's cool and good to have an occupation you can actually bring up in conversation that doesn't make you look like a dropout.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Putty posted:

It's cool and good to have an occupation you can actually bring up in conversation that doesn't make you look like a dropout.

it's also cooler and gooder to make the same money someone does in a boring job by playing videogames all day

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I mean, okay, yeah, that's kind of insufferable. If it's a holy poo poo $100 alert it's better but sheesh.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

it's also cooler and gooder to make the same money someone does in a boring job by playing videogames all day

It's coolest and goodest to have a day job that you love. I think that's something we encourage nowadays.

Money spent on goods, services, and entertainment serve to improve those products so the money is going to a good place. Money donated to a streamer let's them buy more of those stupid gamer chairs and dare i say it? Dew.

Essentially throwing cash into an open fire.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Dias posted:

It's bad GBS bait.

Shoutouts to the epic post history burn btw I almost missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Putty posted:

It's coolest and goodest to have a day job that you love. I think that's something we encourage nowadays.

Money spent on goods, services, and entertainment serve to improve those products so the money is going to a good place. Money donated to a streamer let's them buy more of those stupid gamer chairs and dare i say it? Dew.

Essentially throwing cash into an open fire.

Streaming is entertainment and it can be a day job you love, encourage it!