Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Three Olives posted:

Just get the milanese loop.

I was about to say that. "Milanese Loop could probably fit around a fat ankle" but I dunno now... It's barely fitting that hamhock.

io_burn posted:

I tried to find it on the MacRumors forums a while ago and tried loving everything to find it including searching for "trotter"

:piss:

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

io_burn posted:

I'm curious if you had this saved or searched for it. I tried to find it on the MacRumors forums a while ago and tried loving everything to find it including searching for "trotter" which I remember someone referring to it as.

It was the first google image search result for Apple Watch Fat but only that image, I know there are more. I could have sworn I saved them but I don't feel like spending a bunch of time digging through my google drive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Just get the milanese loop.

I legit wretched

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Looks like this is all where it went down, found it from a reverse Google image search- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-big-wrist-people-try-apple-watch.1865725/page-2#post-21151014

What am I doing with my life.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

io_burn posted:

Looks like this is all where it went down, found it from a reverse Google image search- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-big-wrist-people-try-apple-watch.1865725/page-2#post-21151014

What am I doing with my life.

I don't know why they bothered going with 38mm with such a large wrist. 42mm watch & band would've almost certainly been more flattering.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

enojy posted:

I don't know why they bothered going with 38mm with such a large wrist. 42mm watch & band would've almost certainly been more flattering.

Because there were a number of posts where she mentioned that she needed the smaller watch for her "dainty" wrist.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
LTE versions of the watch can sometimes get stuck on WiFi networks that are open but then pop up a login screen once you connect (like Starbucks, hotel networks etc), which meant LTE won’t turn on. https://www.imore.com/how-your-apple-watch-connects-wi-fi-networks-when-away-your-iphone

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

io_burn posted:

I spend a good 3-4 hours a day working from a treadmill desk where I walk anywhere between 5-10 miles depending on how mindless of a task I'm doing. I got a Fitbit Flex 2 a while ago which counted almost none of my treadmill steps as my wrist was typically stationary on my keyboard. I eventually picked up some super cheap house arrest anklet looking thing to use while I'm on my treadmill and now the Fitbit is pretty close to being in complete agreement with the stats my treadmill gives me. I'm getting the S3 Apple Watch on Friday, and really can't find many great solutions for solving this problem with the Apple Watch. It's going to be pretty annoying to walk 10 miles and have my Apple Watch register none of it while it pesters me to stand. Has anyone seen any clever solutions for this problem?

So what you're saying is your work life is an IRL endless Runner while you play and rate iOS games?

You are living it!! ;)

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Yeah it's glamorous as gently caress lemme tell you.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

LTE versions of the watch can sometimes get stuck on WiFi networks that are open but then pop up a login screen once you connect (like Starbucks, hotel networks etc), which meant LTE won’t turn on. https://www.imore.com/how-your-apple-watch-connects-wi-fi-networks-when-away-your-iphone

Not just places like Starbucks and hotels, my entire neighborhood and even some surrounding neighborhoods are blanketed with WiFi hotspots that Time Warner put up all open with a login screen.

Good luck using your Apple Watch LTE to go for a run.

And that is just the WiFi hotspots that Spectrum owns that are hanging from utility poles and such, that's before you get to coffee places, stores, the park has free wifi that needs you to approve the TOS before they allow you on the internet.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The initial run of reviews of the S3 with LTE are pretty scathing.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there any reason to think the WiFi/LTE stuff won't be fixed immediately on launch if not soon after with a day zero Watch OS update?

The overreaction to this has been... interesting. It's like people are dying to find a chink in Apple's armor and a weird bug in the review units of the S3 Apple Watch is the perfect opportunity.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm guessing it's partially the Wifi issue, but also the lovely battery life, which is a huge bummer, honestly. I was debating getting an LTE version, but if it dies at 4 hours using GPS and just having LTE on, then no thanks.

It's pretty funny some reviewers are making a big deal about not having a signal on the ocean. Well no poo poo!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

io_burn posted:

Is there any reason to think the WiFi/LTE stuff won't be fixed immediately on launch if not soon after with a day zero Watch OS update?

The overreaction to this has been... interesting. It's like people are dying to find a chink in Apple's armor and a weird bug in the review units of the S3 Apple Watch is the perfect opportunity.

I have no idea what these issues are, nor if they are legit (as I am traveling home from (presently hot as gently caress airport) Chicago, but this is kinda what happens with every single phone right? Antennagate, bendgate, etc. Like, it may be legit, but it's definitely seems to be seized upon with a bit of schadenfreudistic enthusiasm.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

io_burn posted:

It's totally something to talk about considering that people (including myself!) have put in pre-orders for the watch, and the big feature of the device has issues. That's also why I suspect that's one of the reasons for the free three months of service deal going on with the carriers: Should issues like this happen at launch, at least there's a safety net of "well, I'm not paying for it yet" while they work out the bugs, instead of just returning the watch or canceling the service.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They've totally hosed up playing music during a workout using the watch. Music is INSANELY slow to load now. S2

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whoever was condoning knockoff Milanese loops on Amazon was right in the money. I got a black one for $11 shipped and it's very nice. Price is good enough that I'll have no problem replacing it in 6 months if it gets ugly.

Maybe the $199 Apple store version feels or looks better. But that price feels like highway robbery. Especially when it's more than half the cost of my S2.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They've totally hosed up playing music during a workout using the watch. Music is INSANELY slow to load now. S2

Yeah you were posting about this before but just had time to look myself. Is music on the watch fundamentally broken now? It only shows me my music library of music I have on the watch, not my whole music library which I, you know, pay for per month. What in the gently caress? Is there seriously no way to access my entire library on the watch? That’s a huge step backwards. huge. S2.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah you were posting about this before but just had time to look myself. Is music on the watch fundamentally broken now? It only shows me my music library of music I have on the watch, not my whole music library which I, you know, pay for per month. What in the gently caress? Is there seriously no way to access my entire library on the watch? That’s a huge step backwards. huge. S2.

You hard press on the music app to change the source back?

Just checkin'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

You hard press on the music app to change the source back?

Just checkin'

This is gone as of Os4

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

This is gone as of Os4

Yup what the heck, dude?! :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They hosed music up so so bad I can't believe it.
Trying to do a workout tonight with Music was a nightmare.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I assume this feature is just gone until they add the ability for LTE watches to play Apple Music music.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm guessing it's partially the Wifi issue, but also the lovely battery life, which is a huge bummer, honestly. I was debating getting an LTE version, but if it dies at 4 hours using GPS and just having LTE on, then no thanks.

It's pretty funny some reviewers are making a big deal about not having a signal on the ocean. Well no poo poo!

To be fair, their big reveal trailer for the S3 showed a girl getting a phone call while surfing...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wish the Siri face would show my anything. Default to the weather forecast, at least.

As it stands, most of today I’ve had a full screen card telling me to enjoy the day.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Maybe you should just ... enjoy the day?

Have you tried that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

io_burn posted:

You write reviews for a living, and you're complaining that people are reviewing review units.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Grassy Knowles posted:

You write reviews for a living, and you're complaining that people are reviewing review units.

I'm not talking about the reviewers as much as the larger internet peanut gallery who has taken this as an opportunity to be like "AH HA! I TOLD YOU APPLE IS poo poo! SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A GALAXY GEAR ALL ALONG DUMB FUCKS!"

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

enojy posted:

To be fair, their big reveal trailer for the S3 showed a girl getting a phone call while surfing...

Did they really? You would get told to leave or worse for taking a phone call on your watch in any lineup around here...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Taima”" post="“476596996”"]
Did they really? You would get told to leave or worse for taking a phone call on your watch in any lineup around here...
[/quote]

No, she was paddle-boarding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish I could

1) Get the outlook app working on my watch, rather than just having it spin on Loading...
2) Use the outlook calendar as a complication rather than the built in calendar. All I care about is my work calendar and it's all in outlook :\

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

They hosed music up so so bad I can't believe it.

What the gently caress is the point when my headphones can already PLAY, PAUSE, SKIP?

Even my airpods can play/pause/skip with ios 11 and tapping

So the watch is basically useless for picking your music while running over a regular pair of apple headphones?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My Siri watch face is wishing me "Good Morning" and that's the only card visible. It is 7:30pm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah hang on, how do I control my phone music now if the Music complication doesn't do that anymore? I'm so heckin' lost. I use that in the car all the time so I can skip/pause stuff without picking up my phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Grassy Knowles posted:

No, she was paddle-boarding.

No he's referring to the surfing chick in the watch "teaser" that opened the watch segment. And while it is the ocean, I would imagine you're so close to the coast when surfing, you're still "at the beach".

Out on "the ocean" is a bit different.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My siriface (in case anyone wants to know) has my flight info (as recent) and a reminder I have for today, a message to close more rings, and a breathe invitation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Yeah hang on, how do I control my phone music now if the Music complication doesn't do that anymore? I'm so heckin' lost. I use that in the car all the time so I can skip/pause stuff without picking up my phone.

You have to start the music from the phone. The Now Playing complication might still control it? I've no idea. They've made it so confusing. I think you can start anything you want from the phone and control it from the watch but if you want to move to something NOT stored on your watch you have to then go back to the phone and change it. It's so fuckin bad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Martytoof posted:

I wish I could

1) Get the outlook app working on my watch, rather than just having it spin on Loading...
2) Use the outlook calendar as a complication rather than the built in calendar. All I care about is my work calendar and it's all in outlook :\

You can add your exchange calendar to the stock calendar app and it'll all stay in sync with Outlook

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dissss posted:

You can add your exchange calendar to the stock calendar app and it'll all stay in sync with Outlook

Not if you company only allows outlook like mine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Drastic Actions”" post="“476593128”"]
It’s totally something to talk about considering that people (including myself!) have put in pre-orders for the watch, and the big feature of the device has issues. That’s also why I suspect that’s one of the reasons for the free three months of service deal going on with the carriers: Should issues like this happen at launch, at least there’s a safety net of “well, I’m not paying for it yet” while they work out the bugs, instead of just returning the watch or canceling the service.
[/quote]

The WiFi issue sounds like an issue that Apple can solve and will be solved pretty quickly. Honestly, it may not even matter, so far it looks like the number of people buying the cell service for the watch is going to be a smaller amount. I’m getting the same response as iPads : “eh I always have my phone.” I think the watch will sell well, but the service will be s tougher sell.

• Locked thread