Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[quote="“Magic Underwear”" post="“476593597”"]
I love this argument because it applies to anything without having to make a real argument. Take any unequivocal failure and compare it to an unequivocal success: you think Microsoft Bob is going to fail, wow, I bet they said the same thing about email and look at it now.
[/quote]

Sure. But on the flip side, you never have needed to use AR room scanning but it's also been relegated to a sort of gimmicky imprecise space. Now that it's a core engine, it could be quite useful. Who knows. I wouldn't mind checking Ikea furniture for a good fit in my kids' rooms. Etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pivo posted:

I wonder why Olivia Wilde isn't more popular, she seems like she's cool enough OUTSIDE of Hollywood that she doesn't need the approval of Hollywood ... she just does what she likes

She was really popular there for a while 🤔

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

I love this argument because it applies to anything without having to make a real argument. Take any unequivocal failure and compare it to an unequivocal success: you think Microsoft Bob is going to fail, wow, I bet they said the same thing about email and look at it now.

But AR isn't an unequivocal failure yet. Time will tell.

I'm just salty about people rejecting a thing because they can't see why it would be useful. You absolutely need people pushing boundaries and trying new stuff because you never know what will find a use.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

That wishful AR life...

I can't even wish about chaise lounges in airports, this is what happens when I open the app on my 6:

[Edit: you can't really tell in a screenshot but the top bubble is shaking back and forth uncontrollably]

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

I can't even wish about chaise lounges in airports, this is what happens when I open the app on my 6:

[Edit: you can't really tell in a screenshot but the top bubble is shaking back and forth uncontrollably]

AR Kit is not supported on the 6.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Dont hate.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is HEIF is as good or better than JPEG quality wise?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sock The Great posted:

AR Kit is not supported on the 6.

I shouldn't be able to install AR-required apps, Apple. :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lelandjs posted:

Fantastiskt is Danish for "loving poors."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The only correct home page setup.

Edit: Also acceptable.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

Fantastiskt is Danish for "loving poors."

I have an 8 on preorder.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
If you use social media you’re a mindless scrub. Free yourself.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Hmmmm is there any way to get rid of the giant text taking up screen space to tell me I'm looking at ALL INBOXES or MESSAGES? Seems kinda silly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Weird... "People" in Photos.app still hasn't populated after charging overnight, and that led me to realize that Memories haven't been generating since July of last year. Any ideas?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

[quote="“BGrifter”" post="“476595831”"]
Hmmmm is there any way to get rid of the giant text taking up screen space to tell me I’m looking at ALL INBOXES or MESSAGES? Seems kinda silly.
[/quote]

Downgrade to iOS 10.3 while it's still being signed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

[quote="“enojy”" post="“476595868”"]
Weird... “People” in Photos.app still hasn’t populated after charging overnight, and that led me to realize that Memories haven’t been generating since July of last year. Any ideas?
[/quote]

It's a poo poo broken feature.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoldfishStew posted:

If you use social media you’re a mindless scrub. Free yourself.

We don't all own Real Dolls to talk to to pass the time when we're lonely

[Edit: is the Awful app breaking quotes?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 20, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Hmmmm is there any way to get rid of the giant text taking up screen space to tell me I'm looking at ALL INBOXES or MESSAGES? Seems kinda silly.

Scroll down slightly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Weedle posted:

Scroll down slightly.

So basically I'm holding it wrong. Got it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BGrifter posted:

So basically I'm holding it wrong. Got it.

Uh, no, that’s not what I said. You asked how to hide that text, and that’s how you do it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PSA for anyone with an Apple Watch: WatchOS4 completely fucks up Music, I'd strongly advise not upgrading.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: is the Awful app breaking quotes?]

it's ios11.

disable "smart punctuation" in the keyboard settings.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
One thing I will never understand is Apple's obsession with SMART QUOTES

gently caress YOUR CURLY BULLSHIT

' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " ' " '

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

baram. posted:

it's ios11.

Thank you!!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

But AR isn't an unequivocal failure yet. Time will tell.

I'm just salty about people rejecting a thing because they can't see why it would be useful. You absolutely need people pushing boundaries and trying new stuff because you never know what will find a use.

I'm not saying its poo poo, I just legit want to know how "ARKIT is all new - Apple in 2017" is different to "we made this app to augment reality - bunch of dudes in 2010"
What does it actually do that is different, techwise, given Apples own demonstrations, particularly the skymap example, are all readily possible already?
It isn't supported on the 6, but my iPhone 4 had a pretty accurate skymap based on the accelerometer and compass.

Are they just really over-hyping what amounts to a system-supported API for achieving the same results?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

baram. posted:

it’s ios11.

disable “smart punctuation” in the keyboard settings.

Haha holy poo poo, I never would have guessed that because I didn't actually type the quotation marks that are getting corrected.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lelandjs posted:

I have an 8 on preorder.

Ikea doesn't know that! ;)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

baram. posted:

it's ios11.

Awful.app was updated to correct this. Look! L@@K

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

enojy posted:

Awful.app was updated to correct this. Look! L@@K

If it was then it didn't work for me, my quotes were getting messed up.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

The only correct home page setup.

Edit: Also acceptable.

When was the last time you updated your Instagram?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sock The Great posted:

lol

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am going to regret even looking at the new storage interface aren’t I?

On iOS 11, my iPad mini shows 5.8gb of “other” storage, all of it “System”
My iPad Pro doesn’t have an entry at all for “other”.
And my iPhone 5s has 10.4gb of “System” which is like half the phone.

I’ve spent a bunch of time trying to find out what Other might be and why it is taking up such different amounts of space. Read lots of people with the problem in the beta swapping folk tales about rebooting and deleting this or that and it working or not for other people. But no one seems to know what it is and Apple support docs don’t explain either.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Sock The Great posted:

You should look a little closer at those.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve spent a bunch of time trying to find out what Other might be and why it is taking up such different amounts of space. Read lots of people with the problem in the beta swapping folk tales about rebooting and deleting this or that and it working or not for other people. But no one seems to know what it is and Apple support docs don’t explain either.

"Other" is stuff in the file system that isn't specifically anything else. It's not part of Apple's ecosystem for Apple Music or whatever and you didn't load it through iTunes so it's not music. It's not applications because you didn't load it through the App Store. It's not Documents because it's not application data that the stuff you downloaded from the app store, stores in its app data. There are kinda some other weird things that you can do as an app developer, like store ephemeral data and I don't know how iOS counts it... Anyhow, everything ELSE in the file system that isn't part of any of THAT... is Other. And a lot of the time it's just the OS being weird.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

Other is system + nonsense cached stuff. On my 16g 6S I had to reset it to factory to reclaim most of that space.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm setting up my girlfriend's new iPhone 7 tomorrow. When her iPhone 5C was dying during the summer I performed a full backup onto her computer. I'll probably update the device to iOS 11 then do a factory reset to have everything nice and fresh.

If I restore that iPhone 5C backup, would it restore iOS 10 as well or would it stick with iOS 11?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm setting up my girlfriend's new iPhone 7 tomorrow. When her iPhone 5C was dying during the summer I performed a full backup onto her computer. I'll probably update the device to iOS 11 then do a factory reset to have everything nice and fresh.

If I restore that iPhone 5C backup, would it restore iOS 10 as well or would it stick with iOS 11?

iOS version doesn't change when you drop a backup on to a phone. It'll be whatever the iPhone 7 comes with.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

iOS version doesn't change when you drop a backup on to a phone. It'll be whatever the iPhone 7 comes with.

Lovely, thanks very much.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pivo posted:

"Other" is stuff in the file system that isn't specifically anything else. It's not part of Apple's ecosystem for Apple Music or whatever and you didn't load it through iTunes so it's not music. It's not applications because you didn't load it through the App Store. It's not Documents because it's not application data that the stuff you downloaded from the app store, stores in its app data. There are kinda some other weird things that you can do as an app developer, like store ephemeral data and I don't know how iOS counts it... Anyhow, everything ELSE in the file system that isn't part of any of THAT... is Other. And a lot of the time it's just the OS being weird.

My Pro doesn't seem to be showing the graph properly, Apps, Photos, Mail, Messages and Books are all showing the same sized bar which is clearly incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Three-Phase posted:

It's time for the same question Three Phase always asks on an integer iOS update:

"Does the Email app options still have the "don't load remote images" option?" :ohdear:

But seriously guys if someone could take a peek and verify that it would be awesome... :ohdear: