Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Baronjutter posted:

A butter face is short for "but her face" as in she looks good...but her face. It doesn't mean someone who's face looks like it's made of butter. I always thought it was just a way of saying someone had a fat ugly face.

Also known down here as a prawn (as in, cut the head off and eat the rest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The opposite of a "butter body."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It didn't hit me until a couple months ago that the name of Mel Brooks' character in Spaceballs, Skroob, is an anagram of "Brooks". I had just assumed it was a play on "screwball".

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

A butter face is short for "but her face" as in she looks good...but her face. It doesn't mean someone who's face looks like it's made of butter. I always thought it was just a way of saying someone had a fat ugly face.

Motherfucker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lidnsya posted:

Calvary and cavalry are not just different spellings of the same word.

Hmm...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calvary

e: I'm dumb and didn't notice the "not".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lord Hydronium posted:

It didn't hit me until a couple months ago that the name of Mel Brooks' character in Spaceballs, Skroob, is an anagram of "Brooks". I had just assumed it was a play on "screwball".

According to Brooks, it was the closest he could get to "Brooks" backwards while still having it sound like a name.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For some inexplicable reason, memories of those old weird Doom novels floated into my head today, and in a case of "now I know what this means", I just realized that those book's canon, the Doom enemies are literary critics.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

There's a beer from Draught Works called Scepter Head, which has a medusa faced woman with a normal body on the bottle. Same idea: 'cept her head.

E: I've got a pint glass

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Sep 14, 2017

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
They're called 'Black' people because they have dark skin in contrast to other people, not because they're actually black

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

They're called 'Black' people because they have dark skin in contrast to other people, not because they're actually black

:eyepoop:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/amydracula/status/871199899681009665

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

JESUS
FUKEN
CARIES

not it's not.

A loom is a thing you make cloth with

e: I MEAN GOSH DARN IT "fruit of the womb" ISN'T A SAYING OR ANYTHING DID YOU JUST POST THAT TO MAKE ME CROSS?

"Fruit of the Womb" is a saying and so is "Fruit of the Womb"

E: or lomb

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Sep 16, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
it's fruit fo the lombe beause that's where the balls are like twig & berriesand thie dick is the banna

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Hail Mary, Full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed are thou amongst women,
and blessed is the Fruit of thy Womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now, and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

e: Imma pray for all of ya to get a fuckin' clue.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ferrule posted:

Hail Mary, Full of grace
The Lord is with thee

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Amen.

when i was 10 i was severely constipated and convinced i was gonna die so i kep trepeating this praye rand the prayer of sorrwo (i forget) over and over while i was trying to poop. It worked :shobon:

jeryy tooton was clearly raised protastant, or nonreligiox. It's okay!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

sweeperbravo posted:

when i was 10 i was severely constipated and convinced i was gonna die so i kep trepeating this praye rand the prayer of sorrwo (i forget) over and over while i was trying to poop. It worked :shobon:

jeryy tooton was clearly raised protastant, or nonreligiox. It's okay!

Are you have a stroke? Did you strain too hard and burst an artery in your brain?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ferrule posted:

Hail Mary, Full of grace
The Lord is with thee

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Amen.

Pray for me to be able to spell "loom" after only 2 attempts

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Are you have a stroke? Did you strain too hard and burst an artery in your brain?

It's okay.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was looking at something in the fridge to see when it went out of date and it was Oct' 17 and I thought man "they should have made October the eight month" then I realised that the it's part of a sequence of months like that. September, October, November, December. I assume this is something everyone else realised when they were six. I googled it to make sure and I am correct and the reason their names don't match their number is because the Roman calendar has a weird history. In this case it used to start on Martius(March) named after Mars and later January and February were added to the start throwing everything off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the Roman calendar had a weird history, it's come up in this thread before:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'December' is absolutely the wrong name for the 12th month of the year, it translates to "10th month". Julius frickin' Caesar decided to gently caress around with the Roman calendar which originally only had 10 months but instead of inventing a new 11th and 12th month he added two extra months at the start of the year which meant that pretty much all of the other month names were wrong. Quintilis (5th month) and Sextilis (6th month) would have become the new 7th and 8th months except Caesar decided to rename them after himself and his buddy Augustus.

And that's why the calendar that most of the world uses today is dumb and wrong and all mixed up.

Besesoth posted:

Today you get to learn about Roman calendars!

The calendar already had 12 months when our boy Julius got to it. The ten-month calendar was the traditional Roman calendar dating back at least to the founding of Rome; it started with March (Mensis Martius) and ended with December (Mensis December); each month alternated 30 and 31 days, with about 50 days of intercalary days at the end of the year (between Saturnalia and the beginning of March). "Intercalary" means what you think it does; they didn't have a month associated with them and were just sort of there. Moreover, the old Roman calendar called for a year of 360 days. This was not particularly clever of them.

When the last of the Tarquins was overthrown and the Roman Republic began, the Romans decided that the Greeks had a pretty good idea with their lunar calendar, so they borrowed it. The Greek calendar had 29.5-day lunar months and so alternated between 29 and 30 days per month; the year was 368 days long and required intercalary days every four years to get things back to where they were supposed to be. The Romans didn't want to get rid of their old calendar entirely, though, so they sort of haphazardly slapped 31-day months into the calendar, added two new months in at the new beginning of the year called Mensis Ianuarius and Mensis Februarius, and had a 23-day intercalary month right after them to keep things nice and adjusted.

This was MORE clever of them than the previous calendar had been, but still not particularly clever. Intercalary days are a pain in the rear end.

Also, those two new months? Added around 500 BCE, more than 400 years before our boy Julius was born.

46 BCE rolled around and Julius noticed that the calendar, although it was more accurate than the old calendar, had still drifted about eighty days off course, with the end of the calendar year happening at the beginning of autumn. So he said, "look, gently caress the Tarquins, gently caress the Greeks, this is stupid, let's fix it." His proposal added the missing 80-odd days to 46 BCE (making it 445 days long), and then standardized the lengths of the months to what we know today: alternating 30 and 31 days, with pairs of 31s at the middle and end of the year, and a 28-day February with an extra leap day every fourth year to keep things on track.

Incidentally, he had nothing to do with renaming the months. That was all the Senate, and in fact happened after he died; Quintilis was renamed Iulius in that month 44 BCE, in honor of our boy's birthday, and Sextilis was renamed Augustus in 8 BCE because according to the Senate, many of the important events of Augustus's reign had occurred in that month.

(Then, 1600 years later, Pope Gregory XIII decided to account for the year being just a sliver shorter than 365.25 days, and we got the modern Gregorian calendar.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, Gaius Julius Caesar may have proposed the Julian calendar fixes but he almost certainly didn't invent them. Not to slander him, dude was doing plenty of other poo poo, but astronomer extraordinaire he was not.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, Gaius Julius Caesar may have proposed the Julian calendar fixes but he almost certainly didn't invent them. Not to slander him, dude was doing plenty of other poo poo, but astronomer extraordinaire he was not.

True enough!

Here's another Calendar Fun Fact: we don't know what "April" means. Our best guess is that it's related to the Greek "Aphrodite", maybe through Etruscan, but since Etruscan isn't just dead but extinct (we only know a few hundred words of Etruscan, and none of them are helpful), we can't be sure.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
"Conga" and "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" are, in fact, two separate songs by Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, and not the same song as I previously thought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Besesoth posted:

True enough!

Here's another Calendar Fun Fact: we don't know what "April" means. Our best guess is that it's related to the Greek "Aphrodite", maybe through Etruscan, but since Etruscan isn't just dead but extinct (we only know a few hundred words of Etruscan, and none of them are helpful), we can't be sure.

My birthday is in February.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll were not the same person.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mighty Moltres posted:

C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll were not the same person.

They probably were in the Marvel/DC comics crossover Amalgam Universe, if that makes you feel any better.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Not only is there an Ignore list, there is also a Buddy list on the SA user control panel.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

When I was a kid my dad saw me reading a Toxic Avengers comic and told me he'd seen the movie version the other night and that it was really gross and Toxie kept mutating throughout the movie until he turned into a giant cockroach and his girlfriend killed him with a shotgun.

Many years later I saw the Toxic Avengers movie and dad's plot summary proved incorrect. It only just occurred to me that he had caught David Cronenberg's The Fly on TV and mistaken it for the Toxic Avengers movie.

I still haven't figured out which movie featured a priest keeping a piece of an evil brain in a jar, which dad claimed to be the synopsis for The Exorcist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NAG posted:

I still haven't figured out which movie featured a priest keeping a piece of an evil brain in a jar, which dad claimed to be the synopsis for The Exorcist.

Me neither but I remember seeing it years ago.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NAG posted:

When I was a kid my dad saw me reading a Toxic Avengers comic and told me he'd seen the movie version the other night and that it was really gross and Toxie kept mutating throughout the movie until he turned into a giant cockroach and his girlfriend killed him with a shotgun.

Many years later I saw the Toxic Avengers movie and dad's plot summary proved incorrect. It only just occurred to me that he had caught David Cronenberg's The Fly on TV and mistaken it for the Toxic Avengers movie.

My dad is so bad about this kind of stuff, I am convinced he's doing it on purpose.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

NAG posted:

Replace "evil brain" with "blob" and you've got the 80's remake of The Blob.

Edit: Was it this guy?

Hispanic! At The Disco has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Sep 20, 2017

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Replace "evil brain" with "blob" and you've got the 80's remake of The Blob.

Edit: Was it this guy?

You know what? Maybe it was -- for some reason I remembered it being a brain but it was definitely a priest keeping X plot device in a jar. You may have cracked it.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

NAG posted:

a priest keeping X plot device in a jar
Sounds something like Prince of Darkness (if it was really big jar).

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

The store that I pass almost every day called "Hot ko-tyr" (ko=cow, tyr=bull) is a stupid play on Haute couture.
Until recently I never sounded out the words

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Inzombiac posted:

My dad is so bad about this kind of stuff, I am convinced he's doing it on purpose.

My dad has always done it with actor names, and I'm positive he does it on purpose too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

for 30+ years now my dad has been like "the programme says theres a pretty good movie on the telly tonight" and mom & us kids are all like "yeah? whats it called?" and hes like "i forgot"

tbf they are indeed pretty good, he doesnt recommend lovely movies. i guess the title just leaves his mind immediately when he's decided whether a movie is good or bad.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There's also The Man With Two Brains but maybe not what he was talking about

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

My dad has always done it with actor names, and I'm positive he does it on purpose too.

That's part of the job description of being a dad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Golden State Warriors are not from Colorado.

California is the Golden State, because of the Gold Rush, obviously. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Until that post, I legit thought the Warriors were from Oregon. No idea why.