Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
[quote="“TraderStav”" post="“476599562”"]
Not if you company only allows outlook like mine :(
[/quote]

Lol what? usually it's the opposite way around because of how Outlook handles your domain credentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You have to start the music from the phone. The Now Playing complication might still control it? I've no idea. They've made it so confusing. I think you can start anything you want from the phone and control it from the watch but if you want to move to something NOT stored on your watch you have to then go back to the phone and change it. It's so fuckin bad.
Now playing and the music* app still have pause, previous and next tracks. You can still initiate playing a song or playlist (only two I tried) from your phone by using Siri, not that I’m saying that’s a good solution.

* this is partially wrong, no controls on the music app here unless I’m playing music from the watch.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 21, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can other people try starting a running workout with music playing from their phone to wireless headphones?

This totally confused my Watch

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Can other people try starting a running workout with music playing from their phone to wireless headphones?

This totally confused my Watch
Worked fine. Started outdoor run, open goal with airpods paired with my phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dissss posted:

Lol what? usually it's the opposite way around because of how Outlook handles your domain credentials.

Don’t ask me, I’m not in IT. We moved fully to office 365 and they removed the ability to connect with Mail.app or other services.

We have, as a company, been moving to a more relaxed IT environment for personal devices though. There is even a personal employee WiFi network at all the locations for employees to connect their phones and iPads to. Pretty progressive for a Fortune 250ish company.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dissss posted:

Yeah, if it's not a legitimate Outlook client the company has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.

You have to start the music from the phone. The Now Playing complication might still control it? I've no idea. They've made it so confusing. I think you can start anything you want from the phone and control it from the watch but if you want to move to something NOT stored on your watch you have to then go back to the phone and change it. It's so fuckin bad.

Yeah I have no idea what is happening now. I have music playing on my phone and when I click the music complication I can't do anything to control it. I can't find the now playing complication in the list of poo poo I can add to my home screen, and it's not in my list of apps so I have no loving idea how to control my music now.

Is this what it feels like to be an old person using A GIZMO? :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When you start playing music on your iPhone, doesn’t your watch screen automatically change to Now Playing? Mine does.

As for the complication, it looks to me like it’s not an option for a corner, but is for one that spans the screen (e.g. bottom on the Utility face).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh it does start on the watch but if I'm using directions then I can't guarantee it'll be topmost when I want to access it.

Hmm. Okay I get it. I'm using the modular face and if I want to use Now Playing I have to choose between it and WUnderground. Apple 'ya done hosed me :mad:

What a loving dumpster fire.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The worst change was being able to choose the music source. What the gently caress was the reason for getting rid of this!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The worst change was being able to choose the music source. What the gently caress was the reason for getting rid of this!!

If you have the latest and great Apple Watch LTE, you don't need a source!!!!

Actually I have no idea what they're doing with the music app because as it stands... it's loving terrible. Going to laugh real loving hard if the full music app of the past is now an LTE model exclusive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I've ever uesd the Music app, so I don't really understand what the issue is. I can pick things on my Watch and it will play them?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here is the scenario:
You have your watch on and your phone connected. You're listening to music through wireless headphones. AirPods, beats, whatever.

In watchOS3, if you wanted to listen to music in your library but not synced to your watch, you could choose, from your watch, to browse the music in your phone library. You could then select this from the watch and have it play through your headphones.

As of OS4, there's no way to have the Watch look at the music library on your phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think I've ever uesd the Music app, so I don't really understand what the issue is. I can pick things on my Watch and it will play them?
You can, but apparently before OS4 you could also use it to choose music from your phone and have it start playing (on your phone).

To be honest, I’ve had my watch nearly two years and use it to control music all the time, but I didn’t know about that capability until you guys started talking about it the last couple of days.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When you start playing music on your iPhone, doesn’t your watch screen automatically change to Now Playing? Mine does.
Mine does this, but to my podcast app (Downcast), not Music. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that off since I'm listening to podcasts 80% of the time I'm walking around and it's annoying to never see my watch face. I could just remove that app from the watch, I guess.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Mine does this, but to my podcast app (Downcast), not Music. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that off since I'm listening to podcasts 80% of the time I'm walking around and it's annoying to never see my watch face. I could just remove that app from the watch, I guess.

What's worse is that it's not even showing the now playing part of Pocket Casts but the menu, so useless.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also my watch has been stuck syncing music to it from the phone (the default playlists it suggested) since yesterday. So that’s been neat.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That won't work; The Now Playing app on the watch universally intercepts any audio source, including web embedded videos and various other poo poo you'd never want to control via the watch. Oh, and it persists forever (not literally but... this new behavior sucks.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Long-force touch on the honeycomb lets you change it to an alphabetical list, if anyone else hadn’t found that yet.

I much prefer it to trying to remember which icon is the timer and which is the stopwatch.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eddiewalker posted:

Long-force touch on the honeycomb lets you change it to an alphabetical list, if anyone else hadn’t found that yet.

I much prefer it to trying to remember which icon is the timer and which is the stopwatch.

Thank loving god

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

General > Wake Screen > Auto-Launch Audio Apps

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Watch OS 4 is loving dope. Now Playing thing automatically being open when I'm listening to music + scrolling the wheel to change volume = worth it alone

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a way to disable the sound that plays when holding the side button to initiate an emergency SOS? I already have silent mode on for everything else and I feel like if I ever needed this feature, I’d want it to be quiet.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

dc3k posted:

Watch OS 4 is loving dope. Now Playing thing automatically being open when I'm listening to music + scrolling the wheel to change volume = worth it alone

You literally can’t play music that’s not synced to the watch

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I use Spotify on my phone and use my watch to sometimes skip tracks or pause. Will this break or stop working on OS4?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Yeast posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I use Spotify on my phone and use my watch to sometimes skip tracks or pause. Will this break or stop working on OS4?

Now Playing will be playing when you look at your watch. Great feature.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Siri watch face is neat! Today it's showing me some pictures from a couple years ago, pulled from the Memories tab in Photos. It's also cool to scroll up and have the weather. I'm curious how it'll change over time.

One thing that's kind of annoying is that timers don't synch between iPhone/iPad and watch. Like when I start a timer on my phone it won't automatically appear on the watch. It's even more annoying now that the timer can be set much easier as part of the new iOS Control Center.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

You literally can’t play music that’s not synced to the watch

I can still tell watch-Siri to do something like "play Coldplay paradise" and she'll launch it on the phone. I don't understand why they crippled the Music app like they did but at least there's ... one lovely workaround :(

The down side is that I'm not Dick Tracy and I hate talking into my loving watch in public.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to disable the sound that plays when holding the side button to initiate an emergency SOS? I already have silent mode on for everything else and I feel like if I ever needed this feature, I’d want it to be quiet.

No. Just wait until you accidentally activate it to find out why, nevermind that it calls emergency services so you’ll also hear the voice of the person on the other end when you activate it, negating the silence.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zwille posted:

The Siri watch face is neat!

First card it had for me this morning when I woke up was my good morning HomeKit scene to turn on the lights. That was kinda neat and an actual "oh hey I actually was going to do that" moment.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Been trying to update since yesterday, so I thought I would read up on os4 here. After a couple pages I realized you all are holding it wrong

quote:

watchOS 4 brings more intelligence and fitness features to Apple Watch including a new Siri watch face, personalized Activity coaching, new measurements in the Heart Rate app, and improvements to the Music experience

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If by "improvements", Apple means "cripple", then yes!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, okay, I get it now. This is neither an improvement or crippling since before, trying to browse my library would just go to a long spinner, and when finally loaded, was so slow as to be useless, which is why I never used the Music app on my Watch. Now there's just not much to browse. :shrug:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Whelp. Looks like I best not get an Apple Watch. Sounds like a poo poo show.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

Whelp. Looks like I best not get an Apple Watch. Sounds like a poo poo show.

Eh, ignore the meltdowns. People always freak out this time of year, and then Apple eventually fixes or tweaks the issues and it's all good. Especially stuff like the LTE Watch connections should get patched quickly (major feature not working).

Now, the debate on whether you need a cellular watch for $10 a month is going to go on for a while.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It seems like to me that they want the watch to become the new ipod and they're willing to take away features to push it into that aspect.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or just think of it as a greater separation of two overlapping apps.

Music is now meant to select, play, and control music on (or through with LTE) your watch.

Now Playing is a remote control for music playing from your phone. And your watch. Because something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, ignore the meltdowns. People always freak out this time of year, and then Apple eventually fixes or tweaks the issues and it's all good. Especially stuff like the LTE Watch connections should get patched quickly (major feature not working).

Now, the debate on whether you need a cellular watch for $10 a month is going to go on for a while.

Yeah, I mean, if your sole reason for an Apple Watch was to control the music your phone is playing from your wrist, then sure, it's not going to meet that, but that seems like a very niche reason for it. Everything else I've seen in Watch OS 4 so far has been an improvement. The dock is better, the alphabetical app list is MUCH better, the Siri face* so far seems useless, but maybe that will improve with use, and it's optional to use, anyway.

*When I woke up, it had the weather for the day, which is useful, the sunset time which is less so, a card saying good morning that takes me to my Homekit stuff to turn on lights, I guess, a News card, and that was it. It is now showing nothing but the sunset time, though I can scroll to see the current weather, which is useful, but not quite as useful as having a persistent complication (which I could add if I wanted, but I prefer my activity rings).

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The additions to the heart rate app are pretty comically useless, though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually wish the new way Now Playing automatically shows up wasn't so. I have my headphone controls for changing tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The additions to the heart rate app are pretty comically useless, though.

In what way? The old app didn't give you any history right? I thought that was too bare bones. I like that I can see the graph now.

• Locked thread