Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Good to know it's hard to go wrong with Conan! I like Howard's stories so I'll maybe pick up a few random Conan trades from the library and see if it's my thing.

Look for tower of the elephant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Reading through the 90's Black Panther by Christopher Priest right now and having the story framed by Ross is really annoying. It sort of works with the political espionage angle since you don't really know what T'Challa's thinking/planning, but it doesn't work in the sense that it's hard to get a connection with T'Challa. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had that complaint but I just had to get it off my chest

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is the very early Wonder Woman stuff strange enough to be interesting? Or is it mostly just checking out the weird and funny panels and skipping getting an omnibus of it?

Golden Age Wonder Woman is beautifully, wonderfully weird. It is so idiosyncratic and so heavily powered by the voices of its creators, Marston and Peter, that it has never successfully captured that voice again, and as such, has never been as good again imo.

While many people focus on the bondage motifs and other fetishy stuff (if there's not a fetish about someone changing clothes in a pool of milk, Moulton definitely makes it seem like there must be), the book is full of delightfully bizarre stuff like giant kangaroos that jump into space, purple healing rays, and a sorority marching band beating the poo poo out of Nazis. It also stars Etta Candy, the best sidekick of the Golden Age, who has not been written correctly since Marston's death (though Morrison and de Liz have come close).

One of my favorite issues is Wonder Woman #5, the first appearance of Doctor Psycho, which almost reads like if Mike Mignola decided to do a book with a feminist theme. It's definitely worth picking up the omnibus.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

Golden Age Wonder Woman is beautifully, wonderfully weird. It is so idiosyncratic and so heavily powered by the voices of its creators, Marston and Peter, that it has never successfully captured that voice again, and as such, has never been as good again imo.

While many people focus on the bondage motifs and other fetishy stuff (if there's not a fetish about someone changing clothes in a pool of milk, Moulton definitely makes it seem like there must be), the book is full of delightfully bizarre stuff like giant kangaroos that jump into space, purple healing rays, and a sorority marching band beating the poo poo out of Nazis. It also stars Etta Candy, the best sidekick of the Golden Age, who has not been written correctly since Marston's death (though Morrison and de Liz have come close).

One of my favorite issues is Wonder Woman #5, the first appearance of Doctor Psycho, which almost reads like if Mike Mignola decided to do a book with a feminist theme. It's definitely worth picking up the omnibus.

poo poo, that is exactly what I wanted to hear and what my wallet didn't want to hear!

While I'm here--are the original Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70s worth checking out?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

poo poo, that is exactly what I wanted to hear and what my wallet didn't want to hear!

While I'm here--are the original Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70s worth checking out?

Absolutely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I PMed you.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Every character in that storyline was terrible/great, but Jaxxon was extra special.

Don Wan Kihotay was also pretty special.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Yeah, I'm on board with that! Looks like a lot of fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like, did Marvel/Lucas ever sue the Bucky O'Hare guys? Because that seems like a pretty blatant rip-off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Like, did Marvel/Lucas ever sue the Bucky O'Hare guys? Because that seems like a pretty blatant rip-off.

Ehh, that character is seems like it's basically Bugs Bunny in a space suit (which probably already exists) so lawsuits would get complicated real fast.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The weirdest thing was that Larry Hama and Michael Golden were pitching Bucky O'Hare at DC (in a false-start for DC's attempt to do creator owned books) right around the time/shortly before Jaxxon showed up in the Star Wars comic, and it was discussed in contemporary fanzines and poo poo. It fell apart, Hama jumped ship to Marvel shortly after, and by the time things got sorted out and the Bucky O'Hare comic actually came out from Continuity Marvel had been instructed to stop adding goofy poo poo like Jaxxon to their Star Wars comics and the character hadn't been seen or mentioned in years.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

and the character hadn't been seen or mentioned in years.

Not so, true believers!

Outside of that, yeah, he's not around anymore. But we can all dream...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is a legitimately fascinating thing: I didn't know Hama created Bucky O'Hare, for one, and I'd always assumed the property had stemmed out of the TMNT phenomenon, instead of apparently predating both that AND the Star Wars thing. Plus I just looked up the cartoon's intro, and they sure made the villain look a lot like Andross from StarFox, which I'm fairly sure even the cartoon predates, let alone the comic.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

That is a legitimately fascinating thing: I didn't know Hama created Bucky O'Hare, for one, and I'd always assumed the property had stemmed out of the TMNT phenomenon, instead of apparently predating both that AND the Star Wars thing. Plus I just looked up the cartoon's intro, and they sure made the villain look a lot like Andross from StarFox, which I'm fairly sure even the cartoon predates, let alone the comic.
Yeah, I hadn't realized that for a long time either, until it cropped up in a Hama interview or something awhile back. Here's an interview from a few years back from a Bucky O'Hare fansite. If it were most old comics pros I'd question his recollection/division of credit (have you SEEN Steve Englehart's website?) but Hama has never appeared to be anything but honest, sometimes brutally so, in terms of telling stories about his career.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

quote:

If you could have written the theme song for the TV show, what would it have been like?

LH: I would have tried to get the Ramones to do it.

My word...

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Honestly, once Carmine Infantino takes over, the Star Wars series is pretty solid. I especially like Baron Tagge, who was blind with a super-vision visor before Geordi existed, and who's whole story is case study in hubris and why normal people shouldn't play with lightsabers.

But there are also gems like pre-RoTJ, polite Jaba the Hutt (who was just some guy they pulled out of the background of the cantina and they based his personality on the unused Jabba lines from the original film):

And the Chris Claremont story that was supposed to originally be a comic book John Carter of Mars story, but they didn't get the license, so they did it as a Star Wars story and had people draw Stormtrooper armor over the Tharks and added some dialog (yes, added dialog to a Chis Claremont story) about giant stormtroopers. At least Simonson was on art for that one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

(have you SEEN Steve Englehart's website?)
Is it just hundreds of pages of Mantis fanfic?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like Gareb Shamus is broke again

https://www.newsarama.com/36464-gareb-shamus-on-his-new-convention-business-ace-universe.html

https://www.newsarama.com/36460-gareb-shamus-launches-new-comic-con-biz-to-shake-up-the-industry.html

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Is it just hundreds of pages of Mantis fanfic?
There's a lot about Mantis (and philistine editors not understanding his grand vision for the character) but also even more about how IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, he deserves credit for the Nolan Batman movies, the Batman Animated Series, all of the Avengers movies, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, etc. etc. etc. If you REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, would comic books even exist without Steve Englehart? Experts say: No!

Source: Steve Englehart, steveenglehart.com

Honestly Englehart has a really impressive body of work and all, but this is like whatever that old chestnut from sports where you spend so much time trying to convince everyone an 8 is a 10, people think they're a 5. Steve Englehart truly believes he's a 14 out of 10.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

There's a lot about Mantis (and philistine editors not understanding his grand vision for the character) but also even more about how IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, he deserves credit for the Nolan Batman movies, the Batman Animated Series, all of the Avengers movies, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, etc. etc. etc. If you REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, would comic books even exist without Steve Englehart? Experts say: No!

Source: Steve Englehart, steveenglehart.com

Honestly Englehart has a really impressive body of work and all, but this is like whatever that old chestnut from sports where you spend so much time trying to convince everyone an 8 is a 10, people think they're a 5. Steve Englehart truly believes he's a 14 out of 10.

So Steve Englehart is the Triple H of comics?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaz-L posted:

So Steve Englehart is the Triple H of comics?

Aren't wrestling and comic books already the same thing?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FF#25

Somebody needed a copy editor.

This was a super good issue though so I forgive him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Readers gave Stan poo poo in the letters column over that for years.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

That issue is why Banner's full name is Robert Bruce Banner.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hi my name is Bob and I'm the hulk

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

It should be David Robert Bruce Banner.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TenCentFang posted:

It should be David Robert Bruce Banner.

david was fully made up by the tv show because they thought bruce was a gay name

seriously

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I already knew that. Unfortunate, but it's still iconic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why didn't the show use Robert, though?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Hah, that's great.

Have some random early Marvel panels

JIM #85

Jane Foster just loves men

Incredible Hulk #4

Mongu is awesome, I love this sequence.

FF #8

It takes eight issues, but when Kirby starts doing some Jack Cole poo poo with Mr. Fantastic, it's worth the wait. The lettering here is really good for Marvel in this era.

JIM #88

Loki beats Thor so that he can go on a pranking spree.

Incredible Hulk #6

This is so absurd. Also I wish Ditko did more Hulk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Old Hulk is incredibly weird because it feels like nobody really knew what they wanted that character to be so the status quo just changes constantly in increasingly insane ways for the first couple of years until they found something that stuck

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

Old Hulk is incredibly weird because it feels like nobody really knew what they wanted that character to be so the status quo just changes constantly in increasingly insane ways for the first couple of years until they found something that stuck

I was shocked at how much I liked old hulk. His series was great and his various random appearances are good too. I'm always happy to see him or Namor show up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hulk's probably one of my top 3 favorite Marvel characters and all that weird inconsistent changing at the start is, I feel, why the character works. You still see it today with Hulk changing wildly from writer to writer like nobody else does, and that's okay! Because Hulk changes. That's what that character is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like there was a rulebook for combining Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Frankenstein's Monster into a single character.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waid uses Hulk with Banner face in one of his Avengers issues if I'm remembering correctly.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Blockhouse posted:

david was fully made up by the tv show because they thought bruce was a gay name

seriously

Holy poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can anyone sum up the 'Diversity & Comics' drama? Every creator is suddenly after whoever this guy is https://twitter.com/DiversityAndCmx
but I haven't seen any of the instigating incidents.
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/910615855918063616
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/910703927464562688

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a quick look at his twitter timeline will show you he's a giant piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well the first nonpinned tweet on the timeline is about how Gender Dysphoria isn't real so I have a hunch about the line of issue here.

• Locked thread