Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubNat posted:

But that's just terrible. It would mean that you'd have half as much time for the cpu to update poo poo like physics ahead of the frame getting rendered. It's especially bad considering that a great optimization/rendering optimization you can do in VR is having instanced stereo rendering. Which wouldn't really be possible when you're only rendering a mono image twice as fast.

Why can't you do instanced stereo rendering on alternate frames? Render both and submit them serially instead of together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
No news about Solu yet? Great, let me bring some recent updates! (Since the last ones are from what past winter?)

Solu - A New Type of Compter Cloud with Wooden Finish!

CEO of Solu reveals why company failed:"I still believe in our vision" (only in Finnish thou)

So technically the company is in the verge of bankrupcy (surprise for none) althou they have managed to deliver the 50 developer versions (?) to those backers. According the CEO, they are hair thin of the goal and with extra 10-20k investment and they would definitely get this thing done. Somehow...I doubt. Sure, maybe the actually ready-to-ship-prototype could be developed with that money, but to produce it to all backers...nah, don't kid us you can make 500 thingies with the peanut money.

Personally I didn't invest, but it was such a big thing here when they succeeded to get the money, so I've been following along how things have developed. Too bad it's always the same story: too little updates and interaction after the initial hype. Oh well, not my loss!

As far as I have seen discussions about it, people really don't remember why it was so popular in the beginning. I suspect the wood, since...wood. :v:

Edit: drat typos!

Edit2: oh, there was actually English news about it!
Solu hoes bankrupt - "We were ahead of Google", claims CEO

simplyhorribul has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Sep 20, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh man, after all this time, I still can't stop laughing at the idea of abandoning icons and folders for circles.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

simplyhorribul posted:

I suspect the wood, since...wood. :v:

Everything back then was made of wood. You know the Stone Age? Well, that was the Wood Age.

It's just so classy and...70s.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
lol this is the first time I've seen this Solu thing. what the gently caress is going on. the whole page is Trump-esque word salad.

so it's a computer? where you zoom on in cells that have computer code in them? i don't get it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If they'd had even half of a quarter of anything, they'd have been acquired for pennies on the dollar, versus bankruptcy.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

lol this is the first time I've seen this Solu thing. what the gently caress is going on. the whole page is Trump-esque word salad.

so it's a computer? where you zoom on in cells that have computer code in them? i don't get it

it's like they decided to build something based off of a buzzwords slot machine

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Michaellaneous posted:

This is the most pretentious poo poo and makes me mad.

Just saying, but a word used to describe a specific object is called a noun.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jedit posted:

I think "describe" is pretty much adjective central. Nouns name or indicate objects.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Subjunctive posted:

I think "describe" is pretty much adjective central. Nouns name or indicate objects.

'A bripe pipe' is the adjective form. 'A Bripe' would be the noun. 'I yearn to bripe' could be a subjunctive verb form.

BRIPE

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Listen up you little punks, these beautiful geniuses are inventing an elegantly inconvenient way to drink bad coffee, they don't have time to worry about whether something is a noun or an adjective or a flippity-doo-dah, because god dammit, this is America, and we do business, not word talk!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kemikalkadet posted:

I yearn to bripe
mods

my username, or thread title, or really anything

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

mods

my username, or thread title, or really anything

Bripe Rules Everything Around Me

All Day I Dream About Bripe

Knights In Bripe's Service

Keep On Running, Bripe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm using the bripe in an entrepreneurship class as an example of a poo poo idea developed to solve a fake-rear end problem.

This thread has provided lots of useful material for that class.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hmmm, it does inductive charg... Oh, that doesn't seem very safe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

8one6 posted:

That's like the least worrying thing about it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Bripe - Bripier - Bripiest

This pipe is very bripe.

This pipe is the bripiest of all.

That's how adjectives work.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

Bripe - Bripier - Bripiest

This pipe is very bripe.

This pipe is the bripiest of all.

That's how adjectives work.

pretty sure the purpose of adjectives isn't to make me want to kill someone

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We have a bripe‐rear end president.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Elfgames posted:

pretty sure the purpose of adjectives isn't to make me want to kill someone

moist

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I drunk the moistest bripe.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That's not a broip. THIS is a broip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-sqiTfHI0

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stop trying to make bripe happen. It's not going to happen.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Briped in the butt by my own butt.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

A "shot" of coffee....

I don't know how to even begin to express how stupid this idea is.

I'm from a nation of outdoorsey folks, and I also know many people who spend lots of money on basic stuff for hiking, fishing and camping. Still, I don't think I know ANYONE at all who would even consider buying this product if they had seen it, and that includes the people who have a drawer in their home dedicated to sporks and two GPS devices so one will always have a fully charged battery. There have been many gadgets for brewing coffee in the woods, like instant coffee in bags or french press-ish devices like the "aeropress" but none of them can measure up to the simplicity and taste of a "svartkjel" (black kettle) with coarsely ground coffee boiled on a campfire or primus. You can even pack the coffee bag, matchbox and cup inside the kettle, and it would take just about as much room in your backpack as the stupid BRIPE, thermometer, barista coffee test tube, cooling rack and blue flame lighter. I understand that this product is for just having a small cup outside, but if I have time to prepare and pack the BURP I have time to spend five minutes brewing a pot of coffee and put it on a thermos to bring along. I find it incredibly strange that as many as 60 people worldwide think that what's missing from their outdoor experience is the ability to drink a lovely espresso shot through a straw. Not to mention that it would be a loving nightmare to clean.

It's coffee. Water and ground cooffee beans. How the gently caress do people keep on messing up such a simple concept?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DO NOT BE ALARMED HU-MANS I AM MERELY HARVESTING YOUR MOVEMENTS FOR TARGETED ADVERTISING

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

DO NOT BE ALARMED HU-MANS I AM MERELY HARVESTING YOUR MOVEMENTS FOR TARGETED ADVERTISING

I was gonna say, I've played enough Prey to know where this is going.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

You're honestly better off just moving your Alexa around with a series of pulleys and fishing line, I mean that's pretty much what they're doing in that video anyway.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Iron Crowned posted:

You're honestly better off just moving your Alexa around with a series of pulleys and fishing line, I mean that's pretty much what they're doing in that video anyway.

But how will I operate it from the beach? Are these pulleys wifi and bluetooth enabled?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpacePig posted:

But how will I operate it from the beach? Are these pulleys wifi and bluetooth enabled?

Listen, all you need is to fund me to my $250,000 goal on Indiegogo to get the full wifi, bluetooth, infrared, and Mobitex enabled pulleys for the beach.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tim, buddy, you gotta start using some sunscreen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kjetting posted:

A "shot" of coffee....

I don't know how to even begin to express how stupid this idea is.

I'm from a nation of outdoorsey folks, and I also know many people who spend lots of money on basic stuff for hiking, fishing and camping. Still, I don't think I know ANYONE at all who would even consider buying this product if they had seen it, and that includes the people who have a drawer in their home dedicated to sporks and two GPS devices so one will always have a fully charged battery. There have been many gadgets for brewing coffee in the woods, like instant coffee in bags or french press-ish devices like the "aeropress" but none of them can measure up to the simplicity and taste of a "svartkjel" (black kettle) with coarsely ground coffee boiled on a campfire or primus. You can even pack the coffee bag, matchbox and cup inside the kettle, and it would take just about as much room in your backpack as the stupid BRIPE, thermometer, barista coffee test tube, cooling rack and blue flame lighter. I understand that this product is for just having a small cup outside, but if I have time to prepare and pack the BURP I have time to spend five minutes brewing a pot of coffee and put it on a thermos to bring along. I find it incredibly strange that as many as 60 people worldwide think that what's missing from their outdoor experience is the ability to drink a lovely espresso shot through a straw. Not to mention that it would be a loving nightmare to clean.

It's coffee. Water and ground cooffee beans. How the gently caress do people keep on messing up such a simple concept?

My favourite part is that he says it takes only 3 minutes to boil the tiny little bit of coffee.

I can boil a litre of water in that time with my lightest, smallest campstove.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Jedit posted:

GodDAMNit howdid I miss this. It's absolutely hilarious that they put adjective in there instead of noun.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

8one6 posted:

Wait, why is that bad? Genuine curiosity.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

In 20 years hats are going to be back in style. Except they won't be hats, they'll be helmets to protect our heads from all the stupid poo poo flying around everywhere.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

kjetting posted:

There have been many gadgets for brewing coffee in the woods, like instant coffee in bags or french press-ish devices like the "aeropress"

There's even tiny, hand-pump espresso makers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSppIjPSxyc

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Guy Mann posted:

I'm starting to think you don't want to be assisted

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

CommonShore posted:

My favourite part is that he says it takes only 3 minutes to boil the tiny little bit of coffee.

I can boil a litre of water in that time with my lightest, smallest campstove.

And then you wouldn't have to wait for it to cool down so you can drink it through a straw either

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

There's even tiny, hand-pump espresso makers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSppIjPSxyc

...that probably makes a much better espresso than the tiny copper cup with a straw you hold a lighter to.

If you're really into the Italian style coffees you can even get yourself one of these puppies and put on your campstove/primus for optimal authenticity:
http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/moka-express-c-1_7_22.html

Or if you prefer drip coffee and would rather have brought your moccamaster along if you could, you can get one of these things:
https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper-White/dp/B000P4D5HG

...Still, I think nothing beats just putting a basic kettle with ground coffee and water on top of a flame:
https://www.eagleproducts.no/produkt/balkjele-1-5l/

It's kind of a golden rule in invention and product design to do research and see if
a) your product is actually filling a void by doing something that no other products already do or
b) your product does things better than the competition. In the case of making outdoors coffee that could mean making coffee faster, produce a better taste, take up less space in the bag, produce less waste, be easier to clean or simpler to use. Any of those.

There are already many different outdoors coffee makers before the Bripe, and well, it doesn't improve any aspect of the design from the other ones. Even in the jungle of silly hiking gadgets (this is a big business in my country) I would really have a hard time finding ANY outdoors coffee brewing solution that is objectively worse than the Bripe.

Sorry for sperging out so badly in these two posts, coffee and hiking are two of the things I take seriously.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kjetting posted:

It's kind of a golden rule in invention and product design to do research and see if
a) your product is actually filling a void by doing something that no other products already do or
b) your product does things better than the competition. In the case of making outdoors coffee that could mean making coffee faster, produce a better taste, take up less space in the bag, produce less waste, be easier to clean or simpler to use. Any of those.

You're right, that's all important.

Or you could just slap your idea onto Kickstarter, and if it succeeds, then obviously there was demand, and if it fails, you didn't lose anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Wait, why is that bad? Genuine curiosity.

It's not that inductive charging is bad, it's that the stand appears to instead be simple metal rings that the robot lands on. Best case scenario is that I'm wrong, it's not as dangerous as it looks, and you (or your kids) don't shock the crap out of yourself the first time you forget you shouldn't touch it.