Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm gonna need a sticker on the cover that guarantees no clones, alternate universe doppelgangers, psychic duplicates, magical manifestations, time-displaced incarnations, or some combination thereof

Besides the one we already have that is both B. and E. iirc
I mean, the way that Marvel works right now is that they could outright promise those things in bright neon blood-signed compacts broadcast across the world, and then end up doing it anyway, all the while claiming that they totally aren't doing it. v:v:v

Adult Jean's spirit has actually been haunting teen Jean over in her own book for a while so she's already kinda around, sort of. Again, as long as this resurrection comes about believably from the events of that pretty good book, I don't have any problems with it.

I really doubt anyone at the X-offices or wider Marvel offices have any long-term idea about what to do with the young X-Men. I can sort of envision a broad, vague direction at times, but then they'll just go and do stuff that throws that direction out of wack. Which is fine if it leads to decent narratives like it has for Bobby and Jean. But I really have no idea what their plan is for Hank and Warren.

Especially Hank. He's basically Dark Beast in all but name at this point, which leads me to think they would make his younger self more and more stalwart and principled in contrast to that...except that young Hank is also kind of a dumb turd right now, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

He had some pretty good moments in Peter David's short lived All New X-Factor.

One of the only times I've actually not minded Gambit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

One of the only times I've actually not minded Gambit.

It not you, it Gambit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It not you, it Gambit.

Completely agreed. It definitely Gambit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Firstborn posted:

I read some Gold today, and really wish Gambit was in more things. Is he any good in Astonishing? Any other recent appearances? Last thing I read about him was like the 2012 solo series.

Fake edit: Actually last thing I read was Deadpool v Gambit

X-23

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The first thing to sell me fully on Gambit as sleazy but lovable big brother.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is that the vol 2 series? 3? What issues should I look for?

\/\/ Thank you mon ami

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 15, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Firstborn posted:

Is that the vol 2 series? 3? What issues should I look for?

The one from 2010 and starting from issue 4

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

X-O posted:

No thanks. I'm very happy with the Cyclops and Wolverine we have now.

I'm happy with the Wolverine we have now too, but I'll admit I want to trade in Old Man Logan for Howlett from X-Treme X-Men. The world needs more of Logan and Hercules being a big ol' gay power couple. :3:

Firstborn posted:

I read some Gold today, and really wish Gambit was in more things. Is he any good in Astonishing? Any other recent appearances? Last thing I read about him was like the 2012 solo series.

Fake edit: Actually last thing I read was Deadpool v Gambit

X-Men '92 is peak Gambit, mon ami.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that's literally the only thing I thought Gambit was actually good, rather than just bareable.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Full disclosure: I have lived in New Orleans all my life, my first brush with X-Men was the 90's series, and my family name is LeBeau. When I saw the show the first time I had a real "MOM.... MOM COME SEE" moment. Also it was the 90's, so a cool trench coat and scruffy beard were ace. Not to mention his power was flashy and cool to see animated.

Since then I know he's been treated less than good, and as I get older I realize how one-note he is. I also get irrationally annoyed at how New Orleans/Louisiana is treated in media, especially his comic books. It's mostly nostalgia for me, I admit. I'm not a regular comic reader. I really like how certain artists draw him and certain writers write him and REALLY hate others.

Will check out X-Men '92!!

E: Can someone tell me why Old Man Logan is in things instead of Clint Eastwood Logan? How did that particular Logan story get to the point of saturation where that's the Wolverine in "every book except the bible"?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 15, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Firstborn posted:

E: Can someone tell me why Old Man Logan is in things instead of Clint Eastwood Logan? How did that particular Logan story get to the point of saturation where that's the Wolverine in "every book except the bible"?

It'st he story that (very loosely) inspired the last Wolverine movie, and it's an interesting take on the character, though one that (much like the O5) loses a lot of its novelty the longer he hangs around.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Eh, even when the luster wears off you still have a much more managable Logan than before. Healing factor isn't quite so ridiculous, not quite as much of an unstoppable killing machine you have to write around, frees up the Wolverine mantle for Laura.

I wouldn't mind if he stuck around.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cabbit posted:

Eh, even when the luster wears off you still have a much more managable Logan than before. Healing factor isn't quite so ridiculous, not quite as much of an unstoppable killing machine you have to write around, frees up the Wolverine mantle for Laura.

I wouldn't mind if he stuck around.

The problem is with him hanging around it kinda makes it hard for people (including Marvel in general) to see Laura as Wolverine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rumda posted:

The problem is with him hanging around it kinda makes it hard for people (including Marvel in general) to see Laura as Wolverine.

It's more that his hanging around is proof that they don't. Not only is she just filling in until they feel like bringing Logan back, but they also felt like they had to bring in an alternate Logan and another Kid Wolverine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Speaking of, wow Wolverine was so, so good this week. Taylor did an amazing job with the Guardians, and Jonathan can speak now! :aaa:

Yeah, the addition of speech means Jonathan is now in the top 3 of Marvel Wolverines. Sorry, Logan Classic!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sinteres posted:

If they want to use Legacy to get back to something closer to the classic conception of characters, a soft reboot for the X-Men line that uses the avatar of rebirth to bring back major characters like Cyclops and maybe Wolverine (though his healing factor could always just kick in anyway) would seem like a pretty reasonable way to do it.

Even as someone who finds some pleasure with the original X-men and the pre-Giant-Sized run, it's so far away from what the X-men actually were that I just hate the idea of trying to establish that as some sort of status quo. It was much more interesting to see the ways which the original X-men reacted to what the X-men would become and how it changed them, than who they actually were before that.

E: A few pages old but I want to write about this :

For me, pre-post-Morrison Beast definitely was a gently caress up at times, but not to the extent now where he is a punchline. He was just kind of emotionally undeveloped in X-Men and the Avengers, which caused him to gently caress up (he has emotions, he just deals with them by hiding from them).

Then he seems to pick up the concept of feelings in X-Factor, but uses them to be sad 24/7 (I guess you could say that about everyone in that comic where Cyclops is arguably the most cheerful). But his gently caress ups are relatively minor at that point. He cheers up once the X-Men get back together and this is arguably him at his most competent, and he seems to establish a firm morality that he sticks to, even as other X-Men falter.

In part, one of the reasons Dark Beast is so shocking is because he is Beast with no emotions and Apocalypse's ethics which in turn creates a really hosed up dude, very different from what we have seen prior.

When the timeline returns, at this point the Legacy Virus ramps up and he remains competent, but does start to at least test his ethical stances, but generally sticks with them. Then as earlier posts above cover well, after Legacy things get complicated under Morrison (which is good, his character needed this). And then he just kind of rather quickly transitions into the major gently caress up he is today. To the point where it's hard to remember him not being a gently caress up, to the point Dark Beast isn't even THAT shocking anymore (he's basically current Beast with a consistent motivations and rational actions in response to those motivations).

Rick fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 16, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My problem with Old Man Logan is that he's basically OG Wolverine, but Old. Aren't they essentially the same character with the same background, history and had the same experiences up to a certain point? Plus all it needs is a hack writer to de-age him and suddenly Laura's at risk of being shafted as the Wolverine.

It's why I prefer Howlett. Guy's got a completely different backstory where he lived in a homophobic AU, but still found love with Herc. And when the gods found out their love and cast them to hell, the two fought their way out of it. :black101:

Rick posted:

a good post

As a Beast fan, thanks for this. It's just depressing that Hank got so thoroughly mangled by bad writers to the way he is now. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old Man Logan murdered all his best friends.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, OML is fuuuuuucked up. I admit I stopped reading the solo during the last Ronin arc because that poo poo just bored me, but a big part of what I did read was him trying to deal with the PSTD and survivors guilt over what happened to him.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Aphrodite posted:

Old Man Logan murdered all his best friends.

Boy it must be awkward hanging out with them all again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

RandallODim posted:

Boy it must be awkward hanging out with them all again.
That was in fact the plot of the first arcs of the series Old Man Logan, yes. Lemire did a good job with the character and differentiating him from "a story where we color Wolverine's hair gray" and I don't generally like Ed Brisson but his arc is at least definitely an Old Man Logan story, not a Wolverine story.

Most/all of his appearances in team books might as well just be a hair color swap for Wolverine though, yeah.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Edge & Christian posted:

That was in fact the plot of the first arcs of the series Old Man Logan, yes. Lemire did a good job with the character and differentiating him from "a story where we color Wolverine's hair gray" and I don't generally like Ed Brisson but his arc is at least definitely an Old Man Logan story, not a Wolverine story.

Most/all of his appearances in team books might as well just be a hair color swap for Wolverine though, yeah.

Yeah, petty jibes aside I really should get around to reading the OML ongoing, but I need to know: does it feature Jubilee and if not why do comics wish to break my heart so?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sinteres posted:

It's more that his hanging around is proof that they don't. Not only is she just filling in until they feel like bringing Logan back, but they also felt like they had to bring in an alternate Logan and another Kid Wolverine.

Marvel missed a trick when they didn't have Albert show up after the Death of Wolverine. He could have been the Cyborg for the Death of Superman parallels.
Either him or the Wolverine created by nano machines from that Wolverine: The Best There Is mini series.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, petty jibes aside I really should get around to reading the OML ongoing, but I need to know: does it feature Jubilee and if not why do comics wish to break my heart so?
It does feature a Jubilee arc, but it has a fill-in artist that is a great deal more.. impressionistic than Sorrentino.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Question IRL posted:

Marvel missed a trick when they didn't have Albert show up after the Death of Wolverine. He could have been the Cyborg for the Death of Superman parallels.
Either him or the Wolverine created by nano machines from that Wolverine: The Best There Is mini series.

They could have had a scene where Elsie Dee blew up and he held the wreckage like Superman on the cover of Crisis 7.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

They could have had a scene where Elsie Dee blew up and he held the wreckage like Superman on the cover of Crisis 7.

I'm still amazed that it was only a few years ago that I recognized the pun with Elsie Dee

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Soonmot posted:

I'm still amazed that it was only a few years ago that I recognized the pun with Elsie Dee

I only realised it now.:(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

amigolupus posted:

My problem with Old Man Logan is that he's basically OG Wolverine, but Old. Aren't they essentially the same character with the same background, history and had the same experiences up to a certain point? Plus all it needs is a hack writer to de-age him and suddenly Laura's at risk of being shafted as the Wolverine.

It's why I prefer Howlett. Guy's got a completely different backstory where he lived in a homophobic AU, but still found love with Herc. And when the gods found out their love and cast them to hell, the two fought their way out of it. :black101:

As a Beast fan, thanks for this. It's just depressing that Hank got so thoroughly mangled by bad writers to the way he is now. :(

I agree that it's depressing. Especially since I felt like they finally figured Beast out in the late 90s and then it just went off the rails. At this point he needs to disappear for a few years to reset.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What horrible thing happened to you to make you a Beast fan?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If your only experience with Beast is from the 90s cartoon i could understand why he'd be a favorite.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Or a lot of his comic appearances also.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Old Hank is good as long as he's paired with Wonder Man. Otherwise he's useless. I like Young Hank though as of now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well you guys seem like the ones to ask about this. I don't follow comics anymore except to sometimes read a friends copy of Old Man Logan. Although I did read the post-death thing where Mystique was trying to get his preserved corpse before Mr. Sinister or something. I'm just wondering where his body is nowadays? Does anyone mention it? Is it sitting in some library at the X-mansion?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davebo posted:

Well you guys seem like the ones to ask about this. I don't follow comics anymore except to sometimes read a friends copy of Old Man Logan. Although I did read the post-death thing where Mystique was trying to get his preserved corpse before Mr. Sinister or something. I'm just wondering where his body is nowadays? Does anyone mention it? Is it sitting in some library at the X-mansion?

I like to think Deadpool keeps it in his spare bedroom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure Wolverine's body is in possession of The Avengers or one of the X-Men groups. I distinctly remember that being addressed in one of the earlier issues of Old Man Logan that Captain America was in. I might be making this up, though I can almost swear it happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I'm pretty sure Wolverine's body is in possession of The Avengers or one of the X-Men groups. I distinctly remember that being addressed in one of the earlier issues of Old Man Logan that Captain America was in. I might be making this up, though I can almost swear it happened.

Steve took OML to see it very early in the ongoing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Isn't it entirely encased in adamantium?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

Isn't it entirely encased in adamantium?

Well, supposedly his body is in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If only they had 6 mutants who could enhance and supercharge other mutant's powers.