Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Breetai posted:

Could you elaborate on this?

A page later, but Einstein did not like quantum physics at all, he argued for years with Niels Bohr over it. Admittedly, the whole thing probably pushed our understanding of quantum mechanics further than if he hadn't been a poo poo about it, but he went to his grave adamantly believing that quantum physics was just a fantasy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr%E2%80%93Einstein_debates posted:

Einstein's refusal to accept the revolution as complete reflected his desire to see developed a model for the underlying causes from which these apparent random statistical methods resulted. He did not reject the idea that positions in space-time could never be completely known but did not want to allow the uncertainty principle to necessitate a seemingly random, non-deterministic mechanism by which the laws of physics operated. Einstein himself was a statistical thinker but disagreed that no more needed to be discovered and clarified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWKN53DOMy4

a :nms: compilation of youtube works by literal children depicting their obsession with a video game skeleton

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Second Life is AUG: The Game and I always enjoy watching these videos featuring Esteban Winsmore.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

so is batman eating the banana some kind of religious symbolism or something

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Door Frame posted:

A page later, but Einstein did not like quantum physics at all, he argued for years with Niels Bohr over it. Admittedly, the whole thing probably pushed our understanding of quantum mechanics further than if he hadn't been a poo poo about it, but he went to his grave adamantly believing that quantum physics was just a fantasy

To be fair quantum physics is some crazy poo poo.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slugnoid posted:

It's clearly trying to ape Lunch Atop a Skyscraper with copied and pasted art, so that was likely just the first picture they found of Batman in that pose

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Dreadwroth posted:

To be fair quantum physics is some crazy poo poo.

That quote that always comes up: "God does not play dice with the universe" was regarding quantum mechanics.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

An incredible post

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

https://youtu.be/Y4yBvvGi_2A

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

A dump of content my fiancée sent me:

This made me laugh like crazy and I also love this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugnoid posted:

Homophilia isn't a religion FYI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ha, so... this guy literally is describing, in a way, evolution.

:bravo:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Homophilia isn't a religion FYI.

depends how you practice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ha, so... this guy literally is describing, in a way, evolution.

:bravo:

Specifically, genetic engineering: bananas in their modern form exist because humans selectively bred them to be sweet, seedless, and easy to peel. Modern bananas are actually completely incapable of reproduction without human intervention because of breeding out such important traits! That's why there's such a fear of a disease totally wiping out bananas again like they did the Gros Michel.

It's fun to pull out for people who are paranoid about GMOs and call them "frankenfoods", when we've been doing genetic engineering on food to make it more convenient for thousands of years.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

zoux posted:

Mate that's the flash. Another big part of DD's character is that he's blind.

wikipedia posted:

Due to the character's sensitive sense of touch, Daredevil can read by passing his fingers over the letters on a page though laminated pages prevent him from reading the ink.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
or jesus was just like "hey daredevil i can cure the blind, wait you don't want that? well WHOOPS TOO LATE"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chitoryu12 posted:

It's fun to pull out for people who are paranoid about GMOs and call them "frankenfoods", when we've been doing genetic engineering on food to make it more convenient for thousands of years.

Not to mention that it's pretty terrible to argue against GMOs and better food propagation when you're not the one starving.

That's some 'ugly' right there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

chitoryu12 posted:

Occasionally you'll get one who'll still insist somehow that the GMOs are completely different than any of the genetic engineering we've done before.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

M_Sinistrari posted:

Occasionally you'll get one who'll still insist somehow that the GMOs are completely different than any of the genetic engineering we've done before.

That's always the first thing people say when I bring it up and I can never figure out how to argue with it without just calling them an idiot to their face.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ruby Red grapefruits, the only grapefruit that people recognize, were made with a literal nuclear gene gun. How is that less scary than something nebulous like "gene editing" or CRISPR?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Door Frame posted:

Ruby Red grapefruits, the only grapefruit that people recognize, were made with a literal nuclear gene gun. How is that less scary than something nebulous like "gene editing" or CRISPR?

It happened in the past before politicians demonized science.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Don't really care about GMOs but there's something vaguely off about mixing radically different species DNA as opposed to selective breeding of traits.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Don't really care about GMOs but there's something vaguely off about mixing radically different species DNA as opposed to selective breeding of traits.

What's the negative consequence?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

A lot of really lovely speculative fiction about GMOs

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

chitoryu12 posted:

Skyscraper-sized sentient tomatoes.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Catpain Slack posted:

Skyscraper-sized sentient tomatoes.

Tomatoes: Killer, Attack of The

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

There's little real consequences, but unfortunately the science of GMO's are often conflated with the politics of the companies that developed them

Most of the people will complain about EULA's being pushed on farmers for seed use, the secrecy behind the production, or the extremely aggressive lobbying efforts instead of actual dangerous outcomes of consuming GMO's. Speaking to my sister and her yoga friends, they want GMO labels because they hate the idea of supporting Monsanto and DuPont, not because they are afraid of frankenfood

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Door Frame posted:

Speaking to my sister and her yoga friends, they want GMO labels because they hate the idea of supporting Monsanto and DuPont, not because they are afraid of frankenfood

They're the minority. Most people who want GMO labels want them because they're scared.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

some rear end in a top hat like Norman Borlaug might contribute to world peace by dramatically increasing the food supply

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWKN53DOMy4

a :nms: compilation of youtube works by literal children depicting their obsession with a video game skeleton

Why can't I stop laughing at this sequence

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My MIL is one of those "GMOs are the devil, here's a list of foods you can eat to cure your cancer" types

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

PCOS Bill posted:

My MIL is one of those "GMOs are the devil, here's a list of foods you can eat to cure your cancer" types

My brother's ex-FIL kept an enema bag in the shower and pumped carrot juice up his rear end every morning to ward off cancer. Somehow, he's still alive 10 years later but I can't convince myself it was the enema routine.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His butthole probably has fantastic eyesight though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It works for alcohol and caffeine, so superfpod vitamins must also get absorbed faster!

Did he have a super sedentary lifestyle and a family history of colon cancer? I can't wrap my mind around this concept at all

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwZlXWu2uU

You want some cringe?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Door Frame posted:

It works for alcohol and caffeine, so superfpod vitamins must also get absorbed faster!

Did he have a super sedentary lifestyle and a family history of colon cancer? I can't wrap my mind around this concept at all

No, he had an active job and was a fairly fit guy. I think it was mostly due to his wife who is batshit crazy and all about alternative medicine. Not sure about his family history.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

chitoryu12 posted:

None, but making blatantly disingenuous statements like "gene editing is the same as selective breeding" only helps support the anti-GMO mindset.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Solice Kirsk posted:

His brown eye probably has fantastic eyesight though.

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

:catstare:

It must be this guy's full time job, being awful enough to actually STAND OUT as one of the worst posters on TV Tropes.

• Locked thread