Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tokyo in Secret World is some of the best CRPGin' in a modern setting you can get. It's well worth playing through the missions and main story at least once in my opinion. You can totally ignore the MMO aspects of the game and once you finish the main plot call it done and stop. All the dungeon and raid content in the relaunch also now has a storymode that is laughably easy compared to the versions those chasing MMO gear progression run so you can see all that story stuff too.

The original had a big fat * on Tokyo in that the story is good but it came wrapped in perhaps the worst progression mechanic I have ever seen. That lovely mechanic is gone in the relaunch and never coming back. Anyone who says to play TSW over SWL might be insane from filth contamination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Late to Eldritch chat, but n'thing support for it as an excellent Lovecraft experience (and with none of the gross racism). I'm a roguelike/lite fan but in this game decisions and inventory management matter. I've botched runs at the 11th hour with full health and good weapons/tools because I did something stupid, causing me to ragequit, only to fire up the game later because the challenge was so compelling. Since it's randomly generated what you have to work with is also random and can greatly change the experience from run to run.

There's a Halloween challenge level that allows to you to "stock up" on stuff before the regular levels for an easier run but can be just as deadly; there's also a Mountains of Madness challenge that requires you descend 10 levels (regular game is only 3 levels a world) to collect what you need and ascend again to escape.

Oh, and monster shopkeepers in dapper hats.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has there been any news about that new Call of Cthulhu game recently?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Space Skeleton posted:

Tokyo in Secret World is some of the best CRPGin' in a modern setting you can get. It's well worth playing through the missions and main story at least once in my opinion. You can totally ignore the MMO aspects of the game and once you finish the main plot call it done and stop. All the dungeon and raid content in the relaunch also now has a storymode that is laughably easy compared to the versions those chasing MMO gear progression run so you can see all that story stuff too.

The original had a big fat * on Tokyo in that the story is good but it came wrapped in perhaps the worst progression mechanic I have ever seen. That lovely mechanic is gone in the relaunch and never coming back. Anyone who says to play TSW over SWL might be insane from filth contamination.

I bought TSW but never played it. Do I have anything in SWL as a result or should I just go ahead and play TSW?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skyscraper posted:

I bought TSW but never played it. Do I have anything in SWL as a result or should I just go ahead and play TSW?

It's too late to link accounts so just jump right in

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Len posted:

It's too late to link accounts so just jump right in

well poo poo
thanks

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Skyscraper posted:

Steam? If so then your key entitles you to all the class skills and outfits once you hit Agartha. Though I don't know if that was part of the time-limited stuff.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 21, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kokoro Wish posted:

Steam? If so then your key entitles you to all the class skills and outfits once you hit Agartha. Though I don't know if that waspart of the time-limited stuff.

Aw, cool, thanks! It is Steam.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hey, it's the horror thread, so I can say, I'm just finishing up playing Dying Light, but even then I'm not close to done because I still have to do The Bozak Horde and The Following. Both look cool, and I've enjoyed all the crazy sidequests in the main story but holy poo poo do they take a crazy amount of time, and grinding for agility took even longer. Also whenever I finish a quarantine zone, it isn't marked off, so I have no idea which ones I've done / haven't done to get the achievement. I don't have to say that it's really fun, the verdict is in on that, but I should mention that Fake John Carpenter did a great job with the soundtrack.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Skyscraper posted:

Hey, it's the horror thread, so I can say, I'm just finishing up playing Dying Light, but even then I'm not close to done because I still have to do The Bozak Horde and The Following. Both look cool, and I've enjoyed all the crazy sidequests in the main story but holy poo poo do they take a crazy amount of time, and grinding for agility took even longer. Also whenever I finish a quarantine zone, it isn't marked off, so I have no idea which ones I've done / haven't done to get the achievement. I don't have to say that it's really fun, the verdict is in on that, but I should mention that Fake John Carpenter did a great job with the soundtrack.

Just so you know Bozak Horde is a challenge thing balanced for multiple players so unless you find it really fun don't bother aiming for completion there just go straight to the Following. There's also no real reason to grind for exp since you share everything across the main game and the expansion.

Dying Light is a pretty neat game even though the combat and plot are both pretty garbage, having to sneak or run through the night while looking for stuff is really tense, at least until you get really overpowered.
I just finished a replay but did the following before the main game and honestly it played better than doing it the right way since stuff was actually threatening but on the flip-side the crossbow breaks the main game.

Hel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hel posted:

Just so you know Bozak Horde is a challenge thing balanced for multiple players so unless you find it really fun don't bother aiming for completion there just go straight to the Following. There's also no real reason to grind for exp since you share everything across the main game and the expansion.

Dying Light is a pretty neat game even though the combat and plot are both pretty garbage, having to sneak or run through the night while looking for stuff is really tense, at least until you get really overpowered.
I just finished a replay but did the following before the main game and honestly it played better than doing it the right way since stuff was actually threatening but on the flip-side the crossbow breaks the main game.

Good advice! That'll save me some time. I'm never sure if I should run the DLC with the game, which is more of something I've already had a whole ton of, or put it off, which just means I never play it. I haven't played The Evil Within's DLC despite people saying it's awesome, and I know I got to get to that before TEW 2 comes out.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

I haven't played The Evil Within's DLC despite people saying it's awesome,

Awesome is a strong word.

I'd say it's way more focused than the main game, with that focus being heavily on stealth and evasion rather than combat. If you enjoy that then you will enjoy the two Kidman DLCs. You can safely skip them if you don't.

The executioner DLC is just an action heavy fun romp that has no story.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Vakal posted:

The executioner DLC is just an action heavy fun romp that has no story.
Yeah that's the one people here have been recommending.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was disappointed to find that the DLC fills in all the plot holes. Without it you don't know what Mobius is, why Ruvik wants Leslie, or why STEM is important. Not that plot is important in this dumb game but the last couple chapters are weirdly paced and characters keep dancing around this knowledge you don't have a chance of learning.

"Sebastian... if you knew about Leslie... *SUDDEN INTERRUPTION*"

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

why STEM is important

FOR OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE, AL-AZAD

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FYI, Outlast 1 and the DLC are free on Humble Bundle for the next two days.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Consortium: The Tower will release soon in Early Access. It might seem unrelated to this thread, but if you dug deep into the previous game, there's some meta-existential fuckery afoot throughout the series, and we should be getting a better idea of what's up in The Tower.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Probably well-trod ground but if we're talking bad endings I really hated what they did with Outlast 2. I mean really Outlast 2 in general is an idiotic edgefest but it just ends feeling like nothing mattered. It isn't even a case of "the protagonist failed but there was a message or idea behind the story you just saw," it just feels like the anemic ending of a story whose only purpose was to present shocking imagery without substance.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Are you thinking about the radio spikes or something else?

theres that, how everything outside the ship acts, but also part of whats supposed to make the characters feel more 'trapped' is that the ship is at a standstill because the engines turned off, like traveling thru space is like sailing the ocean. but also the engines actually ARENT off... because you use them to defeat the bad guy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Glukeose posted:

Probably well-trod ground but if we're talking bad endings I really hated what they did with Outlast 2. I mean really Outlast 2 in general is an idiotic edgefest but it just ends feeling like nothing mattered. It isn't even a case of "the protagonist failed but there was a message or idea behind the story you just saw," it just feels like the anemic ending of a story whose only purpose was to present shocking imagery without substance.

:agreed: This is the company that started a Kickstarter for adult diapers because Outlast 2 was going to be that loving scary. And free is a good price for Outlast 1.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
In Outlast 2 you literally fall into a pit full of dead children within the first 20 minutes of gameplay. Where do you really go from there?

But yeah, the school sections alone guarantee I never play through the game ever again. What a terrible design decision.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Out of the pit, hopefully!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

One day the creative director of Red Barrels will be revealed as a necrophiliac and no one is even going to question it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

Consortium: The Tower will release soon in Early Access. It might seem unrelated to this thread, but if you dug deep into the previous game, there's some meta-existential fuckery afoot throughout the series, and we should be getting a better idea of what's up in The Tower.

Excited for this. Consortium felt like a better execution of Omikron: better adventure elements, better dialog, the mystery was fun, and it's about 3 hours or so. The sequel looks like Die Hard: The Videogame and as long as they keep the mystery up I'll be happy.

Mind swapping in sci-fi is so woefully under explored and video games are basically the perfect medium for this experience. Last game that truly stood out was Contact.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay, tell me about Consortium.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Consortium is the best :dance: I had planned to do a screenshot LP of it at one point, but I don't think I can do it justice. It's really something that should be experienced first hand.

And yeah Consortium definitely dips from cheery on the surface to horror, especially when you encounter John Wilconson :whitewater:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

Okay, tell me about Consortium.

The premise of the game is inspired by Warren Spector's musing on the "one city block" game in that you're in a self contained area and all the named characters go about their business while you're getting dragged along a central narrative. It's not as non-linear as it sounds on paper, the game doesn't move forward until you hit certain flags, but it does do an excellent job of faking it. There's about a dozen characters, all fully voiced and scripted, and it has a pretty fun organic dialog system that feels like the proper execution from what Alpha Protocol was trying to do. It's not horror but there is some existential cyberpunk stuff going on. From the very beginning the premise is you (the player) are part of some interdimensional mind link video game putting you in the body of Team America: World Police. Naturally you experience the memories of your host, the NPCs address you as your avatar and get freaked out when you act weird, and you're working for an obviously fascist global mercenary troupe that does some shady poo poo in the background.

In short it's an adventure detective game set in a single location. It's rough around the edges but one of the few games that really takes advantage of the interactivity of the medium. Like on my second play I see the traitor basically leave the scene of the crime, follow them, run into their routine when I first met them in the first game, and then they get nervous because they weren't expecting I'd talk to them so soon. It's great seeing all of this poo poo that happened when I wasn't looking play out.

Did you play Human Revolution? If so do you remember entering the hub level after the intro and they try to rush you onto your first mission but there's a ton of poo poo going on. Yet if you explore the hostages get murdered. That's like the entirety of this game. Well, except it doesn't feel like you failed from the first 5 minutes.

e: Pathologic HD is $2.50 on Steam.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 22, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
In Consortium you can play through the whole game breaking the 4th wall and it's great watching people react to it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Spoiling some minor Consortium chat because even the tiniest things are the best

I legit can't tell if Keiran earnestly asking you about the game and how it works is my favourite reaction, or Knight 15's deadpan "Oh boy." when her special agent tells the leader of the Consortium that he's a time traveler from another dimension :allears: It's such an honest reaction and it makes me laugh every time Consortium is the best and I can't wait for The Tower.

Another horror moment I just remembered because I missed it like the first five times I played through, If you talk to Pawn 1 on the bridge after you get the CMC, he goes on a tirade about how you loving suck, and when you ask about Bishop 6's past, important parts of his dialogue are static'd out, and in the subtitles it shows up as 21212121 over and over. Afterwards your only dialogue option is something like "You mUsT Not kNOw aBouT thE AgenT's pAst", and if you pick it, everyone reacts as if you said the line in King's voice :stonk:

I really hope The Tower makes the series more popular, Consortium is an absolute treasure :saddowns:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Danaru posted:

Spoiling some minor Consortium chat because even the tiniest things are the best

I legit can't tell if Keiran earnestly asking you about the game and how it works is my favourite reaction, or Knight 15's deadpan "Oh boy." when her special agent tells the leader of the Consortium that he's a time traveler from another dimension :allears: It's such an honest reaction and it makes me laugh every time Consortium is the best and I can't wait for The Tower.

Another horror moment I just remembered because I missed it like the first five times I played through, If you talk to Pawn 1 on the bridge after you get the CMC, he goes on a tirade about how you loving suck, and when you ask about Bishop 6's past, important parts of his dialogue are static'd out, and in the subtitles it shows up as 21212121 over and over. Afterwards your only dialogue option is something like "You mUsT Not kNOw aBouT thE AgenT's pAst", and if you pick it, everyone reacts as if you said the line in King's voice :stonk:

I really hope The Tower makes the series more popular, Consortium is an absolute treasure :saddowns:

There's a lot of neat things like that if you try to go off-script. Your first playthrough will be mostly by the book, but on repeat playthroughs you'll be able to use your foreknowledge to do things differently. It's like some kind of weird Groundhog Day-esque sci-fi game.

The first game also comes with a .pdf that explains the ARG game that came before it. Highly recommended reading, since it explains a lot about the stuff that's going on.

Here's something you might not have tried: as you were disconnecting right at the end, did you turn around?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Just finished Oxenfree and Night In The Woods. Oxenfree was pretty good, but NITW was awesome. The music was fantastic, but I didn't really expect anything less from Alec Holowca who made the Aquaria soundtrack.

This is probably one of my favorite pieces from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZlHxcklOc4

This plays during the second dream sequence where you find little house type things an ghostly music player characters appear in each of them. As you do, the music pieces come together and the end result is just :love:

Does anyone have any suggestions for similar experiences to Oxenfree and NITW?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Life is Strange if you love adolescent drama with a tinge of the supernatural and great soundtracks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man I really need to play Consortium again. I like that idea of a self-contained, replayable world, but at the time I just found the game's length a little too long for that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cancel all horror games, nobody's topping this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/697800/One_Night_Youre_Crazy/

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Outlast is free on the Humble Store rn for those that don't have it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I'm glad for all the people talking about Consortium here, I kickstartered it because I mistook their marketing it as an actual literal remake of System Shock. I had never heard that there was an original Consortium, this sounds great.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

exquisite tea posted:

Life is Strange if you love adolescent drama with a tinge of the supernatural and great soundtracks.

Also dialogue that’s so hella cringe.com that it loops right back around to amazeballs, beeotch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mysterious frankie posted:

Also dialogue that’s so hella cringe.com that it loops right back around to amazeballs, beeotch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Go gently caress your selfie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vakal posted:

In Outlast 2 you literally fall into a pit full of dead children within the first 20 minutes of gameplay. Where do you really go from there?

Rape, obviously.