Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Alloran posted:

So. Started on GLA tonight, and thought I'd level my armoursmithing a bit to try and forge some low level HQ gear. I seem to have made a grave mistake and opened a giant can of crafting worms everywhere. I don't suppose there's a good answer, but at what level should I be able to reliably craft low level HQ gear?

Everyone else is giving you very sensible advice on keeping your sanity.

If you've no interest in that, the number you're looking for is "Five", until you hit level 50, at which point the number is "Three". These are both rough guesses but it kind of holds. Cross class skills make a difference, of course: you're able to reliable HQ a lot more stuff a lot more easily with Byregot's Blessing and Hasty Touch and Manipulation than without. Still, at low level (sub-30) crafts, five levels up is a reasonable spot to look at, assuming proper gear.

All that being said, yeah, crafting is a giant rabbit hole can of worms and pain and gil vanishing into air. If you enjoy all that, great. If not, by all means don't feel obligated to do it. Crafting in FF14 is a bit like bondage in bed: if you're into it you'll enjoy it a whole bunch and not see any issues, but if you don't it's just going to make you miserable instead of letting you have fun with what you're really there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Coughing Hobo posted:

When we eventually go to the moon you'll get more FF4 references than you bargained for.

I'm hoping the moon is an entire expansion and we get Lunarians as a playable race and they have sick beards.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

TheHeadSage posted:

I'm a loving unicorn, and proud of it.

Hell yeah, that coat owns, Elezen own, cravats own, Elezen wearing that coat that's covered in cravats own. Kinda wish I had gone Duskwright but I gave myself enough headaches trying to color coordinate stuff on my oddly-colored Xaela.

edit: also, I should swap the glasses for a monocle for maximum class.

ImpAtom posted:

Hell, the FFIV raid might be the next Omega patch for all we know.

Considering what Omega says after you beat up Exdeath, specifically that bit about the death of a comrade that seems a bit odd. I'd assume that they're going to throw in guys like Kefka, Sephiroth, and maybe Zephirin if they want to go self-referential, that killed members of your party or people close to it. That, or Haurchefant Raid: beat him on Super Savage at the minimum iLvl and he comes back to life!

I'd probably sell my car to buy a clear if they did that. :smith:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 21, 2017

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Hell yeah, that coat owns, Elezen own, cravats own, Elezen wearing that coat that's covered in cravats own. Kinda wish I had gone Duskwright but I gave myself enough headaches trying to color coordinate stuff on my oddly-colored Xaela.

Considering what Omega says after you beat up Exdeath, specifically that bit about the death of a comrade that seems a bit odd. I'd assume that they're going to throw in guys like Kefka, Sephiroth, and maybe Zephirin if they want to go self-referential, that killed members of your party or people close to it. That, or Haurchefant Raid: beat him on Super Savage at the minimum iLvl and he comes back to life!

I'd probably sell my car to buy a clear if they did that. :smith:

Omega spoilers I'm relatively certain the death of a comrade bit was merely foreshadowing Omega's attempt to murder Biggs and Wedge.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I really don't like the new 4.1 armor sets :( I can't put my finger on why not though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Trasson posted:

All that being said, yeah, crafting is a giant rabbit hole can of worms and pain and gil vanishing into air. If you enjoy all that, great. If not, by all means don't feel obligated to do it. Crafting in FF14 is a bit like bondage in bed: if you're into it you'll enjoy it a whole bunch and not see any issues, but if you don't it's just going to make you miserable instead of letting you have fun with what you're really there for.

I will probably wind up doing at least a little of everything, but I don't pressure myself to do it, or to keep everything leveled. It's more like "I'm up at 2am and I feel like mining. Let me review the guide and see where I should go at this level." And maybe the next night I'll feel like grinding culinarian or some such thing for a while. I have so little time to play games that no matter what I won't be spending more than an hour doing pretty much anything so it never gets too bad.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Leofish posted:

I'm hoping the moon is an entire expansion and we get Lunarians as a playable race and they have sick beards.

I went to the moon in one MMORPG (EQ), I don't want to go to the moon again.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I really don't like the new 4.1 armor sets :( I can't put my finger on why not though.

It's another contest winner that just wasn't very good compared to the runner-ups.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

It's another contest winner that just wasn't very good compared to the runner-ups.

Oohhh the one that won out against the Wakka looking set? Aww.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oohhh the one that won out against the Wakka looking set? Aww.

No, that's the current creation set. The set that's getting added is from the healer contest.

So of course we're ending up with something that looks like crafter gear.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I don't care about the rest but I want those tights and hope they dye well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's healer gear so it's going to be white and you get to change the trim on it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's some ugly armor. They should probably stop using ultra-anime inspired trash and focus more on the insanity of Amano-designed stuff. Better yet, do something completely different. Set a new paradigm for people to copy for the next decade, just like you used to Square!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If it's dungeon or 24-man stuff you won't be able to dye it anyways.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
I actually like most of the new gear, it looks a bit like the Nomad stuff but nicer. :unsmith: Did they announce that it was going to be dyeable though? The only dungeon gear I can remember that allows dyeing was the stuff from Sirensong. They usually recycle it in dyeable form for a craftable set, but that can take years sometimes: the i120 stuff from World of Darkness's dyeable equivalent is the i320 crafted stuff from 4.05.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Omega spoilers I'm relatively certain the death of a comrade bit was merely foreshadowing Omega's attempt to murder Biggs and Wedge.

Can you tell that I kind of forgot about the quests after beating Deltascape 4.0?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Is there a link that shows off the new gear?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Is there a link that shows off the new gear?

They put up a preview site for 4.1, it's right here. If you're at work or something and the site's blocked out, here's a picture of the new gear.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They look like they're about to ask for my railway ticket

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

They look like they're about to ask for my railway ticket

Doomtrain boss confirmed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

is that an entire goddamn loaf of hokkaido creampan

I'm a day late, but please tell me about creampan

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The Electronaut posted:

I went to the moon in one MMORPG (EQ), I don't want to go to the moon again.

I was promised a moon patch, and then NCSoft murdered the game. =E

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
no relic in 4.1?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

They put up a preview site for 4.1, it's right here. If you're at work or something and the site's blocked out, here's a picture of the new gear.

Unironically hype for these dot hack knock off clothes. Finally get to cosplay as Kite.

White il do you think these will be? 325? they can't be better than creation gear, because raid gear is usually the same il as upgraded NEWEST TOME gear.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

no relic in 4.1?
Probably 4.15

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Holyshoot posted:

no relic in 4.1?

Wouldn't that be under "Side Story Quests"?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I know nothing about the Final Fantasy series other than it's never truly final and I once saw a picture of a comically fat chocobo.

So... can I have a fat chocobo in this game?

EDIT: Oh, man I forgot about that CG FF movie. Spirits something or other? That was pretty cool. No idea how it relates to this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I know nothing about the Final Fantasy series other than it's never truly final and I once saw a picture of a comically fat chocobo.

EDIT: Oh, man I forgot about that CG FF movie. Spirits something or other? That was pretty cool. No idea how it relates to this game.

You can. You need to buy the Collector's Edition content for ARR ($20 for a bunch of stuff on Mogstation, $40 gets you HW and SB stuff too) and you get your own Fatcobo as part of that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Probably 4.15

Isn't the relic directly connected to diadem v3? It would be weird to drop something so large in a .05 patch but I guess it's not impossible

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Dick Trauma posted:

Fat Chocobo is from the ARR Collector's Edition, so you'll have to give Squeenix some money to get it sadly.

Also, thanks Reddit.

Looking forward to wearing the entire tank set and going all :ramsay: on people. Is calling the healer an idiot sandwich frowned upon by GMs?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You can. You need to buy the Collector's Edition content for ARR ($20 for a bunch of stuff on Mogstation, $40 gets you HW and SB stuff too) and you get your own Fatcobo as part of that.

I want the grimmest, darkest dude riding that drat thing. :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I want the grimmest, darkest dude riding that drat thing. :3:

I see you already understand high level FFXIV gameplay.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes with a (fat) but. There are three fat chocobos but one is from promotional stuff with like amazon, the second is from buying the ARR Collector's edition, and the last is for getting 3000 commendations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fat Chocobos get even better in Heavensward.

Minor spoilers on that on I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Worth noting that the Amazon special Original Fat Chocobo mount is no longer available and after three and a half years of daily play I'm still about 40 comms short of the Parade (Fat) Chocobo. So if you want one now I recommend shelling out for the ARR collector's edition upgrade.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Fat Chocobos get even better in Heavensward.

Minor spoilers on that on I guess.

Holy poo poo is it chasing a slice of cake? :kimchi:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo is it chasing a slice of cake? :kimchi:

Yes. The gysahl wasn't enough to provide lift.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Thanks for the image. I'm blind cos i don't see it on the site anywhere.

edit: ugh, there are invisible side-scrolling arrows that's dumb

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

So the dungeon is the 3000 year old ruins under the lake in front of Ala Mhigo, and the dungeon gear is Cossack chic. And the premise of the Ivalice raid is a bit odd. A theatrical production that the WoL gets really into, or an FFTA-like story that literally pulls you in?

24 man BARD MODE :allears:

However being the Prima Vista and the title of the arc being Return to Ivalice it wouldn't surprise me if the WoL gets roped into the biggest con those kooky thieves can think of: stealing a city from Garlemald under the auspices of being a play.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I beat Final Fantasy Tactics today and think i played the wrong game to get all the Ivalice callbacks even though Ramus and Delita are right there on the poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm a day late, but please tell me about creampan

Surprisingly, the Japanese fuckin' love toast, especially as a breakfast item (the Kyoto region is as known for its bakeries as its tea). Milk bread / cream pan is a white bread that's made with 'tangzhong' (a roux of just water and cooked flour) like a Chinese bao, which gives it a an extremely fine crumb and soft, fluffy texture. Heavy enrichment with dairy and sugar in the dough gives it a wonderfully rich, sweet taste. Challah would be the closest western analogy I have, but challah's enrichment comes from egg.

It's kind of notable because high-quality regular-rear end soft white bread is really hard to find in the US; our artisanal bakers have moved on to rustic breads made with unrefined grain. If you can find Hokkaido milk bread or its less-sweet cousin shokupan at an asian market or something, it's definitely worth a try. You can make it yourself with a recipe from the internet, but the dough is insanely high-hydration, so it'll be something of a pain in the rear end to work with if you don't bake a lot.