Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Edit: Nevermind, already covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

canepazzo posted:

500 minerals for a colony ship :aaa: Is that just machine races or across the board?

Across the board. Starting mineral incomes were raised.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Machine empires are fun. Early mineral crunch from needing to build pops yes, but I can already see how servitors will be mid-game terrors. If you're next to one you should probably try to kill it straight away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Machine empires are fun. Early mineral crunch from needing to build pops yes, but I can already see how servitors will be mid-game terrors. If you're next to one you should probably try to kill it straight away.

Or surrender for some sweet mandatory pampering.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Conquered a primitive planet but have no option to build an Administrative Array (Planetary Administration for machines). What am I missing? I have one of my own pops there now, and in process of assimilating the primitives.

Ignore - deployment post first (=ship shelter), which I thought was the power plant.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Wiz, Mune, I'm an idiot. The only thing that skill level influences is blocker clear time, which does seem to work just fine. I must have just gotten confused with the tile blocker skill popping up. Sorry to have wasted your time with those. :cripes:

The thing about polytechnic is real at least though!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Or surrender for some sweet mandatory pampering.

To paraphrase Nietzsche, only the Blorg would want to be happy.

Designing robots is oddly satisfying, as unlike organics you can immediately plonk them down on relevant resources. Wiz - would it be possible to re-engineer existing robot pops from the colony screen? I can only do entire planets right now, which ruins things for my OCD.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Component rebalancing is interesting.

Example corvettes, tier1 vs tier2 missiles, same utility slots (3x power plant II, 1x armor I, 1x deflector I):

Tier 1: cost 129, damage 7.15, +17 excess power
Tier 2: cost 130, damage 8.10, +10 excess power

Speaking of ship design: the sound bug in the designer is still there :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there a way to restrict techs based on empire type? I want to make a custom tech tree for machine empires and lock them out of the regular tree entirely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So has anyone found out what the new scale of bonuses for skill levels are? Were exp requirements lowered at all or do leaders just go past 5 now with the same exp requirements as before?

I'm curious how good it would be to have a level 10 Ruler and whatnot :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Distributed computing, the Machine Empire tradition swap for colonization fever, doesn't give unity. I assume the Hive Mind swap doesn't work either. (Unless colonization fever got completely broken.)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there a way to restrict techs based on empire type? I want to make a custom tech tree for machine empires and lock them out of the regular tree entirely.

Just adjust the tech weights. The extant script should be fairly self-explanatory... I mean, relatively speaking.

Staltran posted:

Distributed computing, the Machine Empire tradition swap for colonization fever, doesn't give unity. I assume the Hive Mind swap doesn't work either. (Unless colonization fever got completely broken.)

This has been fixed internally.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Bah, tried to bum-rush my equally-sized neighbour with twelve corvettes and the cruiser you get from completing the religious cult event chain. They came at me with twenty-one corvettes - I guess they must have gone over their naval capacity to do it, since they had pretty much the same size empire as me. Both sides had nuclear missiles, but my ships had shields, upgraded sensors and upgraded engines. Theirs were bog standard but they'd filled every empty slot with armour. I had a slight edge in military power.

Result: Crushing victory for them with only six of their corvettes lost. I'm thinking that cruiser might be a bit of a waste of space, early shields might be worse than early armour, and I need to go over my naval capacity or lure the enemy to a station or something next time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Quick question for Driven Assimilators: the cyborgs they create cannot have population controls toggled off, right?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Gort posted:

Bah, tried to bum-rush my equally-sized neighbour with twelve corvettes and the cruiser you get from completing the religious cult event chain. They came at me with twenty-one corvettes - I guess they must have gone over their naval capacity to do it, since they had pretty much the same size empire as me. Both sides had nuclear missiles, but my ships had shields, upgraded sensors and upgraded engines. Theirs were bog standard but they'd filled every empty slot with armour. I had a slight edge in military power.

Result: Crushing victory for them with only six of their corvettes lost. I'm thinking that cruiser might be a bit of a waste of space, early shields might be worse than early armour, and I need to go over my naval capacity or lure the enemy to a station or something next time.

If an AI has a player neighbor they will build up their fleet as high as they can get it regardless of what their cap is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This expansion :allears:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The tradition rebalancing is interesting. Most of the "must haves" from Utopia have been nerfed or entirely redesigned, which I find myself not minding that much. Feels like there isn't the One True Path through early traditions anymore and I can choose whatever the hell I want.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

For an update that's supposed to be cutting the number of inhabitable worlds, is anyone else getting a fuckton of inhabitable worlds?

This is the second game I started since SD dropped - only 10 or so years in, and that list doesn't even include the one I'm colonizing right now. Nearly all of them are close to my starting arctic biome (not that that matters for machines, but...). First game was the same deal, tons of cold but inhabitable systems.

And yeah, checked the game setup, I'm on the default 1x number of habitable worlds. Pretty much on default everything for a medium galaxy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

All of the new music is incredibly good :catstare:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I'm fanatic xenophobe / spiritualist with the fanatic purifiers civic. I have the mind over matter ascendant perk, I assume that means I am set on the psionic path and can freely switch from spiritualist to militarist and still be able to do the psionic ascension?? How do I go about switching from fanatic xenophobe/spiritualist to fanatic xenophobe/militarist?

Ethic shifting to militarist makes me xenophobe / spiritualist / militarist. That's fine and dandy as it invalidates the fanatic purifier civic allowing me to get a curator insight bonus again, but how can I get reach fanatic xenophobe / militarist? If I shift to xenophobe again couldn't it be either militarist or spiritualist? What decides which is my lesser ethic?

I'm pretty sure whichever governing ethic has the least support among your pops gets dropped. So you'll want to make sure that you have more militarists than spiritualists.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wolfechu posted:

For an update that's supposed to be cutting the number of inhabitable worlds, is anyone else getting a fuckton of inhabitable worlds?

This is the second game I started since SD dropped - only 10 or so years in, and that list doesn't even include the one I'm colonizing right now. Nearly all of them are close to my starting arctic biome (not that that matters for machines, but...). First game was the same deal, tons of cold but inhabitable systems.

And yeah, checked the game setup, I'm on the default 1x number of habitable worlds. Pretty much on default everything for a medium galaxy.

That sounds about right for the patch changes. There should be fewer habitable worlds overall, but you can colonize most or all of them.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Quick feedback/request: possible to have Empire Ethics in a column in the Contacts tab?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

That sounds about right for the patch changes. There should be fewer habitable worlds overall, but you can colonize most or all of them.

Yeah, I mean it's not beyond expectations yet it just seemed a high number of worlds nearby on both games. Will play this out a bit, see how it goes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

From Reddit:

:laffo:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh man, I've been trapped in terrible grad. school for weeks now and had no idea that the expansion was released today! I'm very excited, I've missed the past few patches and a few expansions and am very eager to dive into the game as it exists now. Ethics and everything else is brand new to me, and hopefully, will make for an engaging few hours once I get the chance to play!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've been playing as a Rogue Servitor robot race - basically some organics built some robots to work for them, and now the robots run everything.

I'm turning into Crazy Robot Mother. Verbatim thoughts of mine while playing:

I gotta get Sirius Prime ready before the humans arrive!

Oh god, I have to put some robots here or the humans will breed all over it

-----

First contact:

"Hello Skynet. Your bio-trophies are willing participants, are they not? Please say they are willing"

Gort fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kaffo posted:

Am I the only one who likes wormholes and find placing the generators a fun strategic mini game?

Since the interesting thing about stations is they can push and pull ships in their radius, so if you do it right, you can get a really smart network setup around the galaxy

As for chasing fleets, I'll admit it's difficult, but it's just about the only downside, even then you've just gotta play smart and micro your fleet. Sure you won't be able to catch them in transit, but sit on a generator within range of their target, charge the drive as they are warping in and you can drop on their head with no cool down on the other side

also super duper excited for 1.8, this is gonna be dope

You are definitely not. Wormholes are obviously superior to warp travel (with the exception of your ability to explore the whole galaxy early but that doesn't really matter now that PSC isn't the single best tradition in the game), and I think they're still better than hyperlanes, just because of the flexibility and speed all that range gives you. Sure you're not going to be able to chase down every tiny hyperlane fleet, but that doesn't matter, just go take planets.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Anybody else having issues creating vassals now? I know it was moved from the demographics tab but I can't seem to find it anywhere, apparently it was moved to individual planets but I can't see a button

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

Play a non-robotic nation to do a good comparison. You're not getting a good 1:1 because you can colonize everything as a Robotic, and thus you see everything.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

nessin posted:

Play a non-robotic nation to do a good comparison. You're not getting a good 1:1 because you can colonize everything as a Robotic, and thus you see everything.

True, and I will have a mess around with that tonight. Even then, it seemed to weighted heavily to artic/tundra worlds. Did actually find a savannah and arid world before leaving for work, so it may just be a statistical illusion.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xemloth posted:

Anybody else having issues creating vassals now? I know it was moved from the demographics tab but I can't seem to find it anywhere, apparently it was moved to individual planets but I can't see a button

It's under the governor portrait. If you're not seeing it there you're probably running an outdated mod.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

nessin posted:

Also, the change just affects *chance* of habitable worlds. You can still luck out and get a lot of worlds where you spawn. Like, theoretically you could have a habitable world in nearly every single system on 0.25x setting, it's just absurdly, absurdly unlikely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah the habitable worlds are definitely far rarer.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Man, immortal leaders, 100% habitability, no need for food, and multiple skill cap raises. Machine empires are the best. A little OP, even.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Man, immortal leaders, 100% habitability, no need for food, and multiple skill cap raises. Machine empires are the best. A little OP, even.
How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?

I am looking forward to giving it a shot when I get off of work. Have shelved Stellaris for the last couple months, but this update looks great. The universe needs to be cleansed of filthy meatbags.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Wiz posted:

Also, the change just affects *chance* of habitable worlds. You can still luck out and get a lot of worlds where you spawn. Like, theoretically you could have a habitable world in nearly every single system on 0.25x setting, it's just absurdly, absurdly unlikely.

I suspect I'm just getting lucky, then. Even with machines not worrying about habitability, I'm spoiled for choice in that game. Not that I'm complaining, a leg up before I destroy all life is helpful.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I made a thing

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is my egalitarian icon still blurry after several updates?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

I made a thing

I'll be using this thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Am I crazy or is that neat mantis shrimp portrait gone?

• Locked thread