Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah I primarily use it to see if I'm going ham on the A/C or if there's a mechanical issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, weren't you just ragging on me, not even a page ago, for purchasing a Jeep?

I mean, I get it, they're not especially great vehicles, but drat, that's an astonishing lack of self awareness.

No, for purchasing a piece of poo poo with a Jeep badge.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PCOS Bill posted:

So, a Jeep then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or just check tire pressure.

Thanks for the link to Zombie Dice, they look cool.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

So, a Jeep then?

No, there are good Jeeps and bad Jeeps. He chose poorly

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I love my Jeep and I'm glad you got a car that you're excited about, OSU_Matthew!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coffee And Pie posted:

To continue my 'time traveler from the 80s' streak, I wanted a cool hoodie, so I got one on eBay.

"This summer, watch as Dan and Dave battle it out in Barcelona for the title of World's Greatest Athlete"

PCOS Bill posted:

Just curious, legitimately, what is it in particular that quantifies the distinction? I mean, I understand that it has a CVT and an inline four, so it's not as powerful relatively speaking, and the longevity of the early CVTs is not well established, but extra power is not necessarily something I really ever need, and the trade-off is higher mpg, honestly even slightly better than my Nissan Altima, so I'm actually pretty happy with the powertrain combination.

I one hundred percent understand that there are much better vehicles out there. But I was able to buy this for what the dealer had offered, which was not even half the price of comparable vehicles which had three times the mileage.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was able to buy this for what the dealer had offered, which was not even half the price of comparable vehicles which had three times the mileage.

If that didn't tell you something...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PCOS Bill posted:

If that didn't tell you something...

That dealers are the scum of the earth when it comes to taking advantage of the elderly?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

null_pointer posted:

Oh, for thread content, I'm a SAXX boxer brief convert. So. Freaking. Comfortable. And if you buy some of the more garish colors off of Amazon, it's "only" about $20 per pair.

I bought a pair of SAXX. Very comfy, although the waistband is comically large.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I guess a big mpg change could tip you off to adeveloping mechanical issue, but for whatever reason every car in I've owned the check engine light pops on if I fart too loudly and then a $15 code reader lets me know what happened.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The only pair of SAXX I have I got off whiskey militia for like $5, but that site got merged into their other deal site steep and cheap. Here's a link to a SAXX search if anyone wants it.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=saxx&s=u

Edit: as is usually the case with these kind of sites the best deals are on the really abnormal sizes they're just trying to dump, but I figure if anyone is in the market for really sexy XXL underwear it's goons.

Double Edit: Oh! I bought this:

davebo has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Sep 21, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

davebo posted:

The only pair of SAXX I have I got off whiskey militia for like $5, but that site got merged into their other deal site steep and cheap. Here's a link to a SAXX search if anyone wants it.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=saxx&s=u

Edit: as is usually the case with these kind of sites the best deals are on the really abnormal sizes they're just trying to dump, but I figure if anyone is in the market for really sexy XXL underwear it's goons.

Double Edit: Oh! I bought this:

Back around 1980 when I was in full X-Men comic book mode I was at the comic book shop and had that one in my hand but thought "Naww... Wolverine looks so dumb here."

What did it cost you?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

Back around 1980 when I was in full X-Men comic book mode I was at the comic book shop and had that one in my hand but thought "Naww... Wolverine looks so dumb here."

What did it cost you?

$650 and it's not even in great condition. It looks decent enough but the price is blacked out, the pages are browning at the bottom and the "Marvel Value Stamp" inside was cut out then restored back into it. This whole comic grading system that popped up around 2000 has really thrown me for a loop because I didn't know a thing about it until recently. Now I've had to learn all the different categories and I'm really unsure what this will get graded as. The guy who sold it to me was the original owner and he's interested to know what it gets once I get it graded, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting the subscription and paying the cost just to grade one comic, and the only other ones I have from the 80s/90s are only worth about $100.

I recently found an old Wizard magazine at my parents house from December '92 and it listed this as being worth like $250 I think. I see ones on ebay with a bunch of signatures go for $20k+, and the writer just died a couple weeks ago.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

beefnoodle posted:

I bought a pair of SAXX. Very comfy, although the waistband is comically large.

If you have big balls, Obviously is probably the best sack underwear I have ever used. It is the only one that manages to keep the boys up and out so they don't get squished between the thighs when sitting down which is the bane of anyone who has big balls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Did you just post a shoehorn in the PYF purchases thread? Taking life to the extreme, I see.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

1redflag posted:

Did you just post a shoehorn in the PYF purchases thread? Taking life to the extreme, I see.

You just lack imagination

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Base is not flared, that's a no go.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mudguard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

king of the bongo posted:

If you have big balls, Obviously is probably the best sack underwear I have ever used. It is the only one that manages to keep the boys up and out so they don't get squished between the thighs when sitting down which is the bane of anyone who has big balls.

Please tell us how big your balls are

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

king of the bongo posted:

Please don't tell us any more about how big your balls are.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Post pics of your balls.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Post pics of your balls.

Wasn't this already some goon's gimmick?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

RCarr posted:

Please tell us how big your balls are

big enough to play like bongos

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Obviously's parade your package in front of you like a hood ornament. I can wear them with jeans but they absolutely don't work with flat front slacks/dress pants.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, weren't you just ragging on me, not even a page ago, for purchasing a Jeep?

I mean, I get it, they're not especially great vehicles, but drat, that's an astonishing lack of self awareness.

What I saw a poster in AI say was essentially "It's a shame that people buy the Liberty, patriot or Compass because they associate them with the older Jeeps (but they're worse.)" I work with a lady who has one of them and I kind of want to mention it to her but I also kind of don't, as I'd be impugning her taste, the taste of her husband who I really like, etc.

By way of comparison, check out this funny quote explaining why your Altima was (probably) also not a great car, through no fault of your own:

an oddly awful oud posted:

Nissans are marketed almost exclusively to subprime car buyers and are utter crap next to all their competition. They're the FCA of Japanese brands: dreary, shoddy plastic garbage with obsolescent engines, hateful transmissions, and suspension and chassis engineering that feels like every bushing is made of soft-serve. Altimas and Maximas are driven exclusively by people who can't afford a lovely BMW, but still want to weave through traffic and change lanes without signaling. If you're driving down a strip mall and suddenly feel a profound lash of depression, it's probably because there's a Nissan dealer nearby. They tried to build a front-wheel-drive LeMans car, missed the first three races, and managed to run exactly one (1) race with it before giving up. They turned the Pathfinder into a crossover to complement their crossover designed specifically for retirees (the Murano). Sitting in a Versa causes cancer and makes dogs commit suicide. Carlos Ghosn fired a superlaser and a million 300ZX TTs, R32 GT-Rs, and Sentra SE-Rs suddenly cried out and were then silenced, and now you can pay $1900 to put some Star Wars badges on your Rogue which helpfully comes with a helmet because they assume you're either a retard or ashamed to be driving it and want to hide your face. They looked at what happened to Mitsubishi since the 1990s and said "yes, I'll have some of that".

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had an Altima as a rental once and I wondered if I did something to offend the rental agent who assigned it to me. The next rental I got was a Patriot from the same company/agent, and I knew I must have been a dick to them in the past.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I'd prefer PCOS Bill just be probated indefinitely, but if the only cosmic kharma is him getting really lovely rental cars forever then I guess that's some small justice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

I knew I must have been a dick to them in the past.

To be fair you can probably count on one hand the number of people you've interacted with in some fashion and haven't been a dick to.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

To be fair you can probably count on one hand the number of people you've interacted with in some fashion and haven't been a dick to.

I interact with a lot of people, I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least three hands.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

EDIT: gently caress it. Not gonna feed the troll.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just put in an order for three 40lb pails of kitty litter on Amazon.

I was going to get 5-6 but the limit was 3 :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

davebo posted:

$650 and it's not even in great condition.

Eeeyow. It was probably a buck or so when I decided not to buy it. I sold all my comics around 1994 when I was out of money, and got robbed by the shop. Wish I could get a do over on that one.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oddhair posted:

What I saw a poster in AI say was essentially "It's a shame that people buy the Liberty, patriot or Compass because they associate them with the older Jeeps (but they're worse.)" I work with a lady who has one of them and I kind of want to mention it to her but I also kind of don't, as I'd be impugning her taste, the taste of her husband who I really like, etc.

By way of comparison, check out this funny quote explaining why your Altima was (probably) also not a great car, through no fault of your own:

I understand that Nissan isn't on the same engineering and build quality level as Honda, but I just have to say that it's been a pretty drat good car to me. My Altima is up to 230,000 miles, and in the four years since I've owned it, I haven't had to put any major maintenance in besides new tires, headlight bulbs, a coolant flush, and regular oil changes. For an eight hundred dollar car with a salvage title, that's pretty drat liberating.

I mean, really, for all the poo poo posting on specific cars, I'd just like to know why, because without anything to point to other than broad generalisations, it's pretty meaningless other than a hollow feeling of dick waving superiority I guess.

Like, is the transmission a bad design? Is there some horrible defect that'll cause the airbags to prematurely deploy? (Besides that being basically every car on the road because everyone bought the same drat parts from the same drat supply chain)

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'd just love to know that hey, in sixty thousand miles the CVTs tend to eat the belts on X model X year. Or that Dodge uses factory OEM zip ties.

E: Even if the older Jeeps are somehow quantifiably better, I'm still not exactly eager to drive something that is liable to drive the steering column through my chest on the first fender bender. Plus, you know, things like catalytic converters are nice, not to having to choke on noxious fumes in traffic

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Sep 22, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: Even if the older Jeeps are somehow quantifiably better, I'm still not exactly eager to drive something that is liable to drive the steering column through my chest on the first fender bender. Plus, you know, things like catalytic converters are nice, not to having to choke on noxious fumes in traffic

what are you even talking about now

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

"And what do you have there??"

"Baba Ganoush!"

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'd just love to know that hey, in sixty thousand miles the CVTs tend to eat the belts on X model X year. Or that Dodge uses factory OEM zip ties.

I've been working on Jeeps for 10 years so I'll speak up. The Patriots get a lot of poo poo about "not real jeeps" because they have an inline 4cyl co-developed by Hyundai and Mitsubishi that is paired to a CVT which isn't great for heavy off roading, but that probably isn't what you got it for anyway. The early Patriots also had really lovely interior but at one point were redesigned to have a much better one. It was Jeeps push to have more fuel efficient and inexpensive rigs which some of the crabby older guys don't like. I personally don't see a ton of problems with them other than they love to eat wheel bearings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zahi posted:

I've been working on Jeeps for 10 years so I'll speak up. The Patriots get a lot of poo poo about "not real jeeps" because they have an inline 4cyl co-developed by Hyundai and Mitsubishi that is paired to a CVT which isn't great for heavy off roading, but that probably isn't what you got it for anyway. The early Patriots also had really lovely interior but at one point were redesigned to have a much better one. It was Jeeps push to have more fuel efficient and inexpensive rigs which some of the crabby older guys don't like. I personally don't see a ton of problems with them other than they love to eat wheel bearings.

Since you know cars, how easy is it to replace a rear axle myself? And could a bent axle cause wheel bearings to wear out quickly? My alignment is hosed and the shop said they can't fix it because the rear axle has a crack but they wanted like $1400 for a new one + labor. My left rear tire makes a loud clanking sound when I hit a bump or apply brakes.