Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Samsung doesn't do their own chip design and qualcom has no incentive to create better chips so it wont change until one of those two things change.

are the exynos chips straight arm designs? i thought they were at least a bit different rather than just cut and paste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

honestly to me the amazing part isnt that apple is killing it on making their soc its that samsung has literally entire stack under their chaebol and have for almost a decade and still cant do better than qualcomm

not that samsung is a trustworthy partner to google but still given their resources how are they this bad?

i wish we had a poster like the management but for samsung because as bad as the internal dynamics at microsoft are they must be a trillion times funnier at samsung

there's definitely someone who worked for samsung in the past, and from the few hints he's posted....yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

are the exynos chips straight arm designs? i thought they were at least a bit different rather than just cut and paste?

according to their website, it's a custom core design.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/Exynos/Solution/MobileProcessor/Exynos_9_Series_8895.html

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

as endless mike says they *call* them custom designs, but i don't think there has been any evidence they have ever achieved anything except making them a little bit worse on some metrics

qualcomm meanwhile has a pretty hit-or-miss recorrd on cpu design, but they do still own the market when it comes to integrating functioning modem hardware on a die, afaik there is no real competition there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Samsung's cores are basically "optimized" arm cores. they take the stock ARM designs and tweak them a little. they've never been a player in the ISA development process like apple, Qualcomm, AMD, and Nvidia have been, which is something you would expect from someone doing their own microarchitecure.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also from anything I've heard working at Samsung is awful but you can't say anything about it because of Korean pride.

I've an engineer from Samsung Semiconductor ask me to relay messages to Samsung Display because they literally can't communicate internally.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
speaking of nvidia did they make any phones yet?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

nvidia can't make a chip that doesn't melt through the customer's hand and tunnel through the earth's crust if used without active cooling. they've given up on making mobile chips.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the tesla model s is the only tegra device with a body large enough to dissipate the heat properly and it does include a cellular modem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

also from anything I've heard working at Samsung is awful but you can't say anything about it because of Korean pride.

I've an engineer from Samsung Semiconductor ask me to relay messages to Samsung Display because they literally can't communicate internally.

the thing about chaebols is that they're not operated like the same company.

in Japan this is literal - like two companies with Mitsubishi in their name maybe completely unrelated now but Korea has somehow managed to have the worst of all worlds

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LastInLine posted:

it turns out designing processors is hard and qualcomm isnt v. good at it

imo this is pretty far down the list of bad things about buying an Android. and even on this point, let's say their designs aren't the best, sure, but device manufacturers and Google are the ones putting the rest of it all together. and they've chosen (so far) not to the best job optimizing things (e.g. for battery life)

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 22, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo this is pretty far down the list of bad things about buying an Android. and even on this point, let's say their designs aren't the best, sure, but device manufacturers and Google are the ones putting the rest of it all together. and they've chosen (so far) not to the best job optimizing things (e.g. for battery life)

id put poor optimization below literally stops working permanently in my hierarchy of android sins but i cant tell you how to feel

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the anecdotes I have heard from people who worked with Samsung are pretty consistent. They're infamous for just hanging up a conference call if things aren't going their way for a moment.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

id put poor optimization below literally stops working permanently in my hierarchy of android sins but i cant tell you how to feel

that's what i said, it's far down the list, below stuff like security failures, bricky build quality, literal explosions

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
I wish that "Restrict background data" actually worked, and that it didn't create a permanent notification that disables the setting when you touch it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it's kinda :effort: but you can go into each app's entry in the "app info" settings pane and toggle off the "background data" switch. that's what it's called in 8.0 so it might be different on older versions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rickets posted:

I'd like to take a minute to pimp the almost unheard of Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus.

The Tab 3 Plus was forgotten by Lenovo minutes after its birth (as is customary for any Lenovo product, they're too busy making the next thing to worry about the one from 30 seconds ago), but you should not forget about it. It's out there, it's for sale (in a few rare places), and it's loving great.

Quick specs for those who aren't familiar: http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_yoga_tab_3_plus-8311.php
Snapdragon 652
3GB RAM
10.1" 2560x1600
Front facing stereo speakers (4 of them, actually)
32GB Storage w/MicroSD
9300 MaH battery
USB C

The specs say it only goes up to Android 6, and officially it does, but anyone buying a Lenovo product should not be looking for official support. Unofficial support for this tablet is young but strong - there is no official forum over on XDA for this (yet) but some enterprising individuals have unlocked the bootloader, rooted (TWRP, root, unlock bootloader: https://forum.xda-developers.com/thinkpad-tablet/general/beta-twrp-root-disable-encryption-yoga-t3538017), and ported LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1, if you don't know - https://forum.xda-developers.com/thinkpad-tablet/development/unofficial-lineageos-14-1-lenovo-yoga-t3561457) to it. This tablet sorta sucks with the stock OS on it but it is a killer thing once you've gone all the way and customized it.

The tablet is quick as poo poo, the screen is beautiful, the battery lasts forever and the weird battery spine gives you a comfortable handle to hold it with. Bluetooth under LineageOS works very well and pairs to my PS3 controller, other game controller, and various bluetooth audio devices without any issues, lag, or skipping. This one was a big deal for me as many devices have issues with bluetooth and I like to be able to game on my tablet. The built in stand works great for propping this thing up to watch video/play games.

I paid $389 CAD for this from NewEgg (https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834332568 - currently out of stock), I may have overpaid but I haven't seen it anywhere else for cheaper (I think B&H stocks them, and you can buy right from Lenovo). I don't know how long these will be around but I highly recommend this if you're looking for something for media consumption in the $400 CAD ($300 USD) range. Good luck finding a case, I use a 10" iPad slip case.
ipad money for no support, mid-range specs, and hard to find. sounds great!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah you can buy a 128gb new ipad for that money

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

who is playing games so much on their android that they pair a loving controller to it? for $400 just buy a ps4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

who is playing games so much on their android that they pair a loving controller to it? for $400 just buy a ps4

you post in the android thread and know perfectly well that emulators are about as common a use case as anime for phones, never mind tablets

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

i mean not even who, but what the gently caress you are playing. most of the games worth their salt, relative to generic android shite, are played with maximum two fingers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

never forget

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bill gates just switched to anroid

i'm not sure what to think about this development

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

huh an old out-of-touch nerd using android

shocker

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can someone tell me the story about the android phone that sent all your personal info to china

i just caught up on the thread and heard it mentioned

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

can someone tell me the story about the android phone that sent all your personal info to china

a bunch of companies who make really cheap poor-phones have spyware on their devices which send your data to somewhere in china

in other news, water is wet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

there's not much story there. with the possible exception of motorola-branded lenovos, every chinese phone manufacturer has been caught sending all their data to china.

but hey at least you can save $100 versus buying a good phone!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Midjack posted:

he literally so bitter at apple that he's spiting himself by using a terrible phone. this is a guy who forbade his kids from having an iPod and tried to stop his wife from using an iPhone but she told him to piss off.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

he literally so bitter at apple that he's spiting himself by using a terrible phone. this is a guy who forbade his kids from having an iPod and tried to stop his wife from using an iPhone but she told him to piss off.

i still don't understand how MS managed to have some actual success with the xbox brand. it's like the single new consumer product/line of theirs in decades that they didn't mismanage into oblivion

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
does MS even let the xbox team work on Surface?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still don't understand how MS managed to have some actual success with the xbox brand. it's like the single new consumer product/line of theirs in decades that they didn't mismanage into oblivion

when you say success, do you mean not counting all of the billions they poured into generations of Xbox that lost money, RROD replacements, HD-DVD, Kinect, and the whole Xbox to control your media center debacle?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

weren't mismanaging is a better way of putting it since the xbone has been a disaster of a product from the day it was announced. most of the success with the xbox came from back in the time when they were still making some good decisions and not putting most of their effort into trying and failing to play catch-up with apple and google.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah yeah. maybe i should have said "the only brand they actually tried to make better and didn't give up on after 2 years"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

its more that nintendo gave up and then sony fell flat on their face

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah yeah. maybe i should have said "the only brand they actually tried to make better and didn't give up on after 2 years"
Other consumer brands: Bing and Surface.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I like my surface pro when it detects my type cover

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

you post in the android thread and know perfectly well that emulators are about as common a use case as anime for phones, never mind tablets

i honestly forgot about emulators lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

they bought game studios and told them to make xbox games. an underpowered tv-computer with directx and exclusive titles is pretty hard to gently caress up when you have unlimited money

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
if they want similar success with phones they just have to buy at&t and tell them to only allow microsoft phones on the network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

if they want similar success with phones they just have to buy at&t and tell them to only allow microsoft phones on the network

they could just wire google ther at&t acquisition money that way i think