Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm having trouble with Mark Waid standing up for women because of what a piece of poo poo he has been to several women himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zachack posted:

OK but does Tynion have a voice that will actually achieve a meaningful end? Waid's response is closer to what needs to happen: actual ramifications with potentially lasting outcomes. If bleeding cool is doing articles about the guy that aren't massively negative or come with instructions on how to target that person's livelihood/day to day happiness, then creators could blacklist Bleeding Cool.

how famous do you have to be before you are allowed to express your opinions about something that is personally affecting you

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I'm having trouble with Mark Waid standing up for women because of what a piece of poo poo he has been to several women himself.

What's the story there?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zachack posted:

OK but does Tynion have a voice that will actually achieve a meaningful end? Waid's response is closer to what needs to happen: actual ramifications with potentially lasting outcomes. If bleeding cool is doing articles about the guy that aren't massively negative or come with instructions on how to target that person's livelihood/day to day happiness, then creators could blacklist Bleeding Cool.

So you're saying don't bother calling out harassment unless you're going to beat up the harasser at a con

Personally I'd rather creators put it on blast and make people aware and hopefully be part of a movement to quash these guys than do nothing at all but then again as a trans woman in the comics twitter sphere I've actually had to deal with these people so maybe i just have a stake in the game while y'all can sit on the sidelines and not have to worry :shrug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Social media is toxic and I don't understand why creators do anything there but feed links to their crap. For the vast majority of them, it's not worth it. Find a space that's moderated and use social media to drive others to that space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

What's the story there?

Well after his bad breakup with his ex he had less than nice things to say about women in general. And he had a few moments of being a con creep around clearly too young girls. The one I was present for was at a signing in Muncie, Indiana where he was just a monstrous rear end in a top hat to a woman who asked for advice on breaking into the industry.

I believe he initially defended the JL8 dude but quietly backed away from that.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Personally I'd rather creators put it on blast and make people aware and hopefully be part of a movement to quash these guys than do nothing at all but then again as a trans woman in the comics twitter sphere I've actually had to deal with these people so maybe i just have a stake in the game while y'all can sit on the sidelines and not have to worry :shrug:

Geek trans solidarity high five, dawg.

Rhyno posted:

Well after his bad breakup with his ex he had less than nice things to say about women in general. And he had a few moments of being a con creep around clearly too young girls. The one I was present for was at a signing in Muncie, Indiana where he was just a monstrous rear end in a top hat to a woman who asked for advice on breaking into the industry.

I believe he initially defended the JL8 dude but quietly backed away from that.

Yeesh, that's upsetting. Hopefully he's gotten better?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

site posted:

So you're saying don't bother calling out harassment unless you're going to beat up the harasser at a con

Why are call outs and limited physical violence the only options you can come up with? Charlottesville was interesting because that's the first time I can think of where aggressive doxxing of the Nazis was deployed and it appears to be super effective because bruises heal but economic damage tends to last. Family members of the protesters started getting dragged in, you think that doesn't have real lasting effects on curtailing some assholes? Name and shame so badly that they can't even buy coffee at their local Starbucks.

The news cycle is ridiculously fast and today's story is tomorrow's barely read chryon. Opinions and awareness just aren't enough any more. Demand more of Tynion. Don't let voices that carry water just slosh their bucket around, make them put out the fire. Push for Alonso to have Marvel boycott events in the area where that guy lives, or at least just use their corporate weight and networking to curtail access to YouTube and Twitter for those people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

Yeesh, that's upsetting. Hopefully he's gotten better?

I dunno. I saw him clearly hitting on teenaged girls at C2E2. I joked with my friends "Ha ha! That creep looks like Mark Waid. Oh poo poo, that is Mark Waid." He used to be pretty tight with Chuck Dixon who was well known for how much he disliked women in the industry, maybe he was the influence there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even if Mark Waid is a creep who doesn't respect women, actively trying to destroy women is probably still a step too far for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Even if Mark Waid is a creep who doesn't respect women, actively trying to destroy women is probably still a step too far for him.

True. It was just kind of hard for my brain to parse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't let the good be the enemy of the barely passable. Or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zachack posted:

Why are call outs and limited physical violence the only options you can come up with? Charlottesville was interesting because that's the first time I can think of where aggressive doxxing of the Nazis was deployed and it appears to be super effective because bruises heal but economic damage tends to last. Family members of the protesters started getting dragged in, you think that doesn't have real lasting effects on curtailing some assholes? Name and shame so badly that they can't even buy coffee at their local Starbucks.

The news cycle is ridiculously fast and today's story is tomorrow's barely read chryon. Opinions and awareness just aren't enough any more. Demand more of Tynion. Don't let voices that carry water just slosh their bucket around, make them put out the fire. Push for Alonso to have Marvel boycott events in the area where that guy lives, or at least just use their corporate weight and networking to curtail access to YouTube and Twitter for those people.

I never said those were the only options. You implied that tynion wasn't doing anything meaningful and what waid was implying he would do was how to go about it so that's your fault.

Twitter did get d&c's name and the reason waid was able to post it was because other creators had found it and have been circulating it to publicly shame him in his personal and professional life but i guess since you don't know what you're talking about and just want to prove a point that wouldn't matter to you

And alonso has been taken to task for literal years for Marvel's lack of diversity representation, lack of cover for when their meager bench of non cis white men get harassed, and poo poo like the time the sales rep said people not wanting diverse books are responsible for their sales dropping, but yeah you go get em tiger

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aphrodite posted:

It looks like it's because of this? Others in the industry adding similar sentiments and support.

I hope Mark Waid finds this dude and roasts the life out of him.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Axel Alonso is a brick wall about these things, if not outright closer than the other side than anything. I can't wait till he's gone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TenCentFang posted:

Axel Alonso is a brick wall about these things, if not outright closer than the other side than anything. I can't wait till he's gone.

Same with his buddy in cahoots tom brevoort

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/jonnywaistcoat/status/825521837828403200

I don't know who this is* but someone linked it in Discord earlier and it seems appropriate.

Remember what Cap says**: Always Punch a Nazi

*: So if he's a milkshake duck don't blame me.
**: Maybe not that one...

site posted:

Same with his buddy in cahoots tom brevoort

Brevoort actually did share Waid's post.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Aphrodite posted:

https://twitter.com/jonnywaistcoat/status/825521837828403200

I don't know who this is* but someone linked it in Discord earlier and it seems appropriate.

Remember what Cap says**: Always Punch a Nazi

*: So if he's a milkshake duck don't blame me.
**: Maybe not that one...

That looks like Richard Spencer, the leader of the alt-right (*cough* neo-nazi *cough*).

He got punched during the Inauguration of Trump when he began harassing a black women. A man in a face mask punched him and it became a meme.

Then, he got punched by a female protester when he began to harass a women at later march.

Then, he got beaten and arrested by the police at Charollettesville when he yelled and threatened cops for not attacking the counter-protesters.

There may have been more incidents.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

I hope he knows comedy comes in threes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zoro posted:

That looks like Richard Spencer, the leader of the alt-right (*cough* neo-nazi *cough*).

That's Spencer in the video yeah, I mean the guy tweeting it out. I didn't review his feed or anything.

It's from January so we got Seattle nazi getting knocked the gently caress out to complete the set.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

He also rt'd every single post by Spencer about how important secret empire was but actually fascism should be discussed rationally and Nazis shouldn't get punched and critics are all whiney assholes for not liking the book, and defended waid when he included a non consensual sexism encounter between vision and Wanda in avengers, and all lovely stuff waid put in champions like having Amadeus say gee as an Asian American internment camps actually aren't all that bad

And there was that moment when he was all about make mine milkshake but then when his trans creators got a mass harassment campaign waged against them by the same people two days later he didn't have poo poo to say (nor did the cis white women editors who were the impetus for #mmm either for that matter)

So forgive me if I am unwilling to give him the benefit of the doubt

site fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 21, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

He also rt'd every single post by Spencer about how important secret empire

For a second I thought you were referring to the aforementioned Richard Spencer and was really confused, if only because I didn't think they'd admit to being on the Red Skull's side.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sure if you gave Richard Spencer a copy of secret empire he would love it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone named Richard is actually the same person and thus a Nazi.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Are you saying Cosmo's favorite Nova, Dick Rider, is a Nazi?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

Are you saying Cosmo's favorite Nova, Dick Rider, is a Nazi?

I said EVERYONE

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Well one thing is without dispute is that everyone named Richard is a dick.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I said EVERYONE

Pretty sure there's a recent Nightwing comic that backs this theory up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Time for me to leave SA, owned by known Nazi, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Time for me to leave SA, owned by known Nazi, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

You're being funny but his wife made an infamous post saying it's cool to debate things like why those blacks are actually bad, got caught posting on a forum whose entire purpose is to doxx people, the majority of which are trans, and had a meltdown when a black woman was made a mod, so...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a really funny Richard Simmons "sweatin' to the Nazis" joke in here somewhere.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

had a meltdown when a black woman was made a mod, so...

Like, just because she was black? What?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My only surviving grandparent is named Richard and he was in the Navy and he is definitely not a nazi :colbert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TenCentFang posted:

she's one of the "troublemakers"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TenCentFang posted:

Yeah the long and short of it was Nazism was reaching peak levels last fall in d&d. There was a thread made by poc in qcs asking for more enforcement and that's when lowtaxs wife made the bad thread saying debating how black people are inferior is okay as long as they're polite. People got super mad, a lot of mods quit over it.

So admin FactsAreUseless appointed koalasmarch mod of d&d to calm things down but lowtax had a meltdown over it calling it appeasing the sjw cucks and demodded her from d&d, then created a subforum specifically for poc to post in cuz he doesn't want them infecting d&d proper or whatever, and made her mod of that

site fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 21, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Yeah the long and short of it was Nazism was reaching peak levels last fall in d&d. There was a thread made by poc in qcs asking for more enforcement and that's when lowtaxs wife made the bad thread saying debating how black people are inferior is okay as long as they're polite. People got super mad, a lot of mods quit over it.

So admin FactsAreUseless appointed koalasmarch mod of d&d to calm things down but lowtax had a meltdown over it calling it appeasing the sjw cucks and demodded her from d&d, then created a subforum specifically for poc to post in cuz he doesn't want them infecting d&d proper or whatever, and made her mod of that

he also demodded a bunch of people who disagreed with him or he thought "didn't let people speak their mind" in their forums

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also FYAD and new GBS exist.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

gently caress, man. What the gently caress?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TenCentFang posted:

gently caress, man. What the gently caress?

Welcome to somethingawful where at least half the userbase hates your existence and they're protected by management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Also FYAD and new GBS exist.

I miss Helldump.

• Locked thread