Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

America deserved 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
IT was OK and avoided a very very bad chapter, and I say that as a fan of the book.

Still see lego instead.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Should I know what this is, other than "mediocre at best"?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Peter Rabbit is a character who appeared in several children's books written in the early part of the 20th century.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

World Famous W posted:

IT was OK and avoided a very very bad chapter, and I say that as a fan of the book.

Still see lego instead.

So does it have the elementary schooler getting raped by her dad or all the elementary schoolers loving her in a big pile cause those are like twooo different chapters

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pick posted:

So does it have the elementary schooler getting raped by her dad or all the elementary schoolers loving her in a big pile cause those are like twooo different chapters
The former is in about as much as the book (I don't remember it being overly explicit, just cringy in the book). The latter cut completely thankfully.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

World Famous W posted:

The former is in about as much as the book (I don't remember it being overly explicit, just cringy in the book). The latter cut completely thankfully.

Yeah, gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of that book. There's an argument to be made about portraying despicable acts in literature, however stephen king is genre fiction

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

World Famous W posted:

Still see lego instead.

Didn't realize you were talking about It at first, and thought you were talking about Peter Rabbit instead. I was wondering what hosed up thing could be in a children's book.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 22, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Didn't realize you were talking about It at first, and thought you were talking about Peter the Rabbit at first. I was wondering what hosed up thing could be in a children's book.

To be fair Peter Rabbit does get into some poo poo with Mr MacGregor, who would definitely kill him if he ever got caught.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dogsicle posted:

To be fair Peter Rabbit does get into some poo poo with Mr MacGregor, who would definitely kill him if he ever got caught.

Well it was illegal in Britain at the time.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Oh yes, they float, Peter."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

There's an argument to be made about portraying despicable acts in literature, however stephen king is genre fiction

Man, you'd think if anyone would be sympathetic to the idea of relaxing arbitrary genre distinctions it would be the people in the thread dedicated to childless adults discussing childrens films at length.

Anyways, IT is very good but it has already broken just about every box office record related to R-rated films and horror movies out there so if nothing else I'd say Ninjago needs your money more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That was just a joyful prod at the person who wrote a dumb book :kiddo:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Guy Mann posted:

Man, you'd think if anyone would be sympathetic to the idea of relaxing arbitrary genre distinctions it would be the people in the thread dedicated to childless adults discussing childrens films at length.

Listen, self-reflection ain't easy. That's why everybody's a hypocrite.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, it's Sony. Explains everything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not like this. :smith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I see Sony is bouncing back after the Emoji movie

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Should I know what this is, other than "mediocre at best"?

Peter Rabbit is a famous series of illustrated children's books by Beatrix Potter. Cute rabbits in clothing, beautiful drawings, very popular.

http://kinderbooks.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/97807232691062.jpg

That trailer is bad.

quote:

In 1938, shortly after the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Walt Disney became interested in making an animated film based on The Tale of Peter Rabbit. However, Beatrix Potter refused to give the rights to Disney because of marketing issues.[30]

lol

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 22, 2017

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I have very, very vague recollections of listening to some Peter Rabbit tapes when I was a small child in the mid-90s and I definitely don't remember him throwing any wild house parties

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's already a recent CGI Peter Rabbit series (that my two-year-old loves), which is pretty mediocre and has modernised some of the characters in dumb ways (Squirrel Nutkin being a hyperactive flying-helmet-and-goggles-wearing twat, for instance), but most of them are fairly close to the Potter originals and the animation style at least pays lip service to the look of her artwork.

This looks godawful, though. And Peter reminds me of this loving nightmare that traumatised me as a child:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Butt Detective posted:

I have very, very vague recollections of listening to some Peter Rabbit tapes when I was a small child in the mid-90s and I definitely don't remember him throwing any wild house parties

I'm not sure there's any actual story content in those Peter Rabbit books. I'm pretty sure they're all just filled with pictures of a rabbit in a blue shirt eating carrots. I bet most pages are blank. No one remembers Peter Rabbit. He exists as vague recollection.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The extent of the story I remember is him raiding a nearby farm for veggies, chowing down, getting caught, making a close escape that costs him his blue shirt, then getting mocked by all the other rabbits for being a naked rabbit, as if rabbits aren't usually naked (I mean, to be fair I guess they aren't in that universe). That's where the story ends. The moral is obviously "eating somebody else's food turns you into a nudist."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The market for this is entirely people 30+ who vaguely recall that Peter Rabbit was a book they knew about as a kid, and therefore it's probably better than modern commercialized garbage so I'll let my kids watch it.

It's pretty clever, really.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Didn't people cringe super bad at the awful horrible gross disgusting Paddington Bear move trailers and I think the consensus was that the movie ended up being pretty dece

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm happy to hear James Corden's voice in a movie again. That man is a dreamboat...

...except he's losing some points for this one.

Couldn't he just wait for Zootopia 2?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/unlikely-source-confirmed-disney-making-zootopia-sequel-153056.html

I'm gonna call this plausible because this is exactly how we learned about Ralph Breaks the Internet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm happy to hear James Corden's voice in a movie again. That man is a dreamboat...

...except he's losing some points for this one.

Couldn't he just wait for Zootopia 2?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/unlikely-source-confirmed-disney-making-zootopia-sequel-153056.html

I'm gonna call this plausible because this is exactly how we learned about Ralph Breaks the Internet.

I am pretty sure the movie that made a billion dollars for Disney getting a sequel is pretty much a given at this point.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sometimes I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they just cut the trailer to be "modern" to appeal to kids. But no. There was a shot of Peter Rabbit making it rain with lettuce leaves.

And not to sound like an edgy, grimdark loving idiot, but if they include an uncomfortable scene of the farmer catching and killing one of the other rabbits eating out of his garden I would actually be onboard. It'll be the Watership Down of this generation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I don't know anything about Peter Rabbit, is it based off of some beloved children's thing because that trailer was just kind of like "cute and whatever" and pretty inoffensive but the replies here are acting like it's the Emoji Movie

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So I don't know anything about Peter Rabbit, is it based off of some beloved children's thing because that trailer was just kind of like "cute and whatever" and pretty inoffensive but the replies here are acting like it's the Emoji Movie

Peter Rabbit is kind of the mascot character for all the Beatrix Potter animal stories, which are extremely beloved and well known in the UK and Australia. I have a ceramic peter rabbit on my shelf that my mum made for me when I was a child, and i saw a BBC adaptation of Peter rabbit on TV just yesterday. All the many many cartoon adaptations have had a similar folksy fairy tale tone which is not at all present in this trailer. Basically think of it like seeing a trailer for a new take on Winnie the Pooh and instead of the character you are familiar with winnie is yelling "radical" while doing sick skateboard tricks and vaping honey.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

It's based on the most 1902 british quaint children's story you can possibly imagine and the trailer is not quaint, british or olde timey.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Peter Rabbit made his first appearance in 1902 in The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Peter disobeys his mother's orders and sneaks into Mr. McGregor's garden, eating as many vegetables as he can before Mr. McGregor spots him and chases him about. Peter manages to escape, but not before losing his jacket and shoes, which Mr. McGregor uses to dress a scarecrow. Peter returns home weary and ill and is put to bed with a dose of chamomile tea.

In The Tale of Benjamin Bunny, first published in 1904, Peter's cousin Benjamin Bunny brings him back to Mr. McGregor's garden and they retrieve the clothes Peter lost in The Tale of Peter Rabbit. But after they gather onions to give to Peter's mother, they are captured by Mr. McGregor's cat. Benjamin's father arrives and rescues them, but also reprimands Peter and Benjamin for going into the garden by whipping them with a switch. In this tale, Peter displays some trepidation about returning to the garden.

In The Tale of The Flopsy Bunnies, first published in 1909, Peter has a small role and appears only briefly. He is grown up and his sister Flopsy is now married to his cousin Benjamin Bunny. The two are the parents of six little Flopsy Bunnies. Peter and his mother keep a nursery garden[a] and the bunnies come by asking him for spare cabbage.

In The Tale of Mr. Tod, first published in 1912, Benjamin and Flopsy's children are kidnapped by notorious badger Tommy Brock. Peter helps Benjamin chase after Brock, who hides out in the house of the fox, Mr. Tod. Mr. Tod finds Brock sleeping in his bed and as the two get into a scuffle, Peter and Benjamin rescue the children.

Peter makes cameo appearances in two other tales. In The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, first published in 1905, Peter and Benjamin are customers of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog washerwoman. The two rabbits are depicted in one illustration peeping from the forest foliage. In The Tale of Ginger and Pickles, first published in 1909, Peter and other characters from Potter's previous stories make cameo appearances in the artwork, patronising the shop of Ginger and Pickles.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I for some reason remember a tale of Peter Rabbit where McGregor killed Peter at the end. I'm not sure if this actually happened but....

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Peter Rabbit made his first appearance in 1902 in The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Peter disobeys his mother's orders and sneaks into Mr. McGregor's garden, eating as many vegetables as he can before Mr. McGregor spots him and chases him about. Peter manages to escape, but not before losing his jacket and shoes, which Mr. McGregor uses to dress a scarecrow. Peter returns home weary and ill and is put to bed with a dose of chamomile tea.

In The Tale of Benjamin Bunny, first published in 1904, Peter's cousin Benjamin Bunny brings him back to Mr. McGregor's garden and they retrieve the clothes Peter lost in The Tale of Peter Rabbit. But after they gather onions to give to Peter's mother, they are captured by Mr. McGregor's cat. Benjamin's father arrives and rescues them, but also reprimands Peter and Benjamin for going into the garden by whipping them with a switch. In this tale, Peter displays some trepidation about returning to the garden.

In The Tale of The Flopsy Bunnies, first published in 1909, Peter has a small role and appears only briefly. He is grown up and his sister Flopsy is now married to his cousin Benjamin Bunny. The two are the parents of six little Flopsy Bunnies. Peter and his mother keep a nursery garden[a] and the bunnies come by asking him for spare cabbage.

In The Tale of Mr. Tod, first published in 1912, Benjamin and Flopsy's children are kidnapped by notorious badger Tommy Brock. Peter helps Benjamin chase after Brock, who hides out in the house of the fox, Mr. Tod. Mr. Tod finds Brock sleeping in his bed and as the two get into a scuffle, Peter and Benjamin rescue the children.

Peter makes cameo appearances in two other tales. In The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, first published in 1905, Peter and Benjamin are customers of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a hedgehog washerwoman. The two rabbits are depicted in one illustration peeping from the forest foliage. In The Tale of Ginger and Pickles, first published in 1909, Peter and other characters from Potter's previous stories make cameo appearances in the artwork, patronising the shop of Ginger and Pickles.

This is the most British thing I've read today. I like it.

...his sister Flopsy is now married to his cousin Benjamin Bunny...

If this happens in the movie, it'd be for comedic effect and it'd be some stereotypical redneck wedding played off because lol the Southern US. It'd be the jewel of poo poo in the already awful movie.

My friends already want to see it...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They must be so mad that Kangaroo Jack beat them to the punch of using Rapper's Delight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThermoPhysical posted:

I for some reason remember a tale of Peter Rabbit where McGregor killed Peter at the end.

McGregor kills, and devours, Peter Rabbit's father.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are there any tales where the rear end in a top hat animal character gets their comeuppance from the human they harass and steal from?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are there any tales where the rear end in a top hat animal character gets their comeuppance from the human they harass and steal from?

There are a very small handful of Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny cartoons where Elmer arguably gets the better of him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that Siri gets a cast credit in LEGO Batman. That's cute.

Though it will always be weird that Ralph Fiennes is in the movie yet does not reprise Voldemort.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Though it will always be weird that Ralph Fiennes is in the movie yet does not reprise Voldemort.

It's probably some really silly contractual thing, like they have the rights to Voldemort as a character from the books but not Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort's likeness which is an entirely separate thing.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I see SONY is continuing the trend of CGI live action movies, perhaps Peter Rabbit will make McGregor fall in love with someone in modern day New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's probably some really silly contractual thing, like they have the rights to Voldemort as a character from the books but not Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort's likeness which is an entirely separate thing.

But they're both Warner Bros., so it shouldn't be an issue. The more likely reason is they just wanted some starpower.