Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

because everyone knows the genes for penis size come from the woman...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

because everyone knows the genes for penis size come from the woman...?

:q:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pick posted:

your children's safety apparently demands less attention than preventing shoplifters from taking a $3 cami at forever21

I know your schtick, but how are you getting that out of what I said? If someone tries to leave through and unmonitored exit an alarm goes off. This is the staff's subtle hint that something has gone wrong and they should probably do something about it in less than 60 minutes.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

The worst.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My (27M) Gf (27F) is on her second backpacking trip with her ex and others. (1.5 years)

quote:

Hello all.

Last year she had been on a similar trip where she spent a few days alone with him on the trail, I could not attend the trip, nor was I in a position to enjoy the trip at the time. I had my reservations, but she had my full trust and I didn't question her. She also reiterated that he was seeing someone, and we had been dating for a few months at this point .
When she returned, she failed to disclose to me that he made a move on her until a few months later, when it seemingly slipped out in casual conversation. She also mentioned at that time that he broke up with his girlfriend right before the start of the trip. She had also spent days with him and his family as they live on the other coast, including him. He knew she was in a relationship, and we went after it anyways. And they continued to share a tent for the remainder of the backpacking trip. She continued to reinforce nothing happened. Okay, I'll take your word, she hadn't done anything to violate my trust up to this point, and people make mistakes.

Fast forward to now. She's currently on another trip in a similar situation, and I'm not feeling awesome about this. I've been losing sleep, and in general not responding well.
  • There was no mention of including me on the trip, and when she finally asked if I wanted to go after several months of talking openly about the trip, she said "well, it's not my trip".
  • She was planning to spend a few days alone with her ex, in order to wait for others to arrive due to scheduling. Another female friend ending up making it for that portion to my relief.
  • The ex has done nothing to gain my trust as he lives on the other coast, and I feel like she doesn't care.
  • I don't feel like she did anything to gain my trust back either.
  • I feel like I'm missing out on important moments in her life (not by my choice), and not once has she said I wish you here. She says she misses me and etc, but I feel like I'm more of a convenience than anything else.
  • I feel like with big trips, significant others should be a given, and I'm feeling pretty hardcore lovely that her ex gets to share this with her, and I dont. I've always included her on my trips, and to make it a point that she belongs on the trip just as much as I do.
Please tell me I'm thinking rationally about this. I've been cheated on before, but it's a risk in any relationship that I'll take my chances on. But the past 2 weeks of my hardcore downtrodden and aloof behavior is making it worse, without these feelings being validated. I'm typically chipper and an awesome person to be around, and that's weighing on me more in addition to it all.

tl;dr I'm unsure about my girlfriends loyalty after her breaking my trust.

How should I address this upon her return?

Are significant others a given on these types of trips?

Can trust ever be restored?

Am I overthinking this?

I'm afraid you're just her man in this particular port, my dude. :sadwave:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My (27M) Gf (27F) is on her second backpacking trip with her ex and others. (1.5 years)

I'm afraid you're just her man in this particular port, my dude. :sadwave:

Yeah, he's just the side-dick. She's still doing the ex.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Motronic posted:

I know your schtick, but how are you getting that out of what I said? If someone tries to leave through and unmonitored exit an alarm goes off. This is the staff's subtle hint that something has gone wrong and they should probably do something about it in less than 60 minutes.

Wait, you think literally every door in a school has an alarm attached?

They might have a couple designated fire doors with alarms, might. 90% of the doors won't have alarms of any kind in the best-case scenario.

The subtle hint that the staff should do something is the missing body in the room they are supposed to be teaching and interacting with. If you're actually doing your job, you'll notice right away if someone who was there isn't there anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Me (31F) with acquaintance (72M) is it appropriate to go to his funeral?Non-Romantic
submitted 1 day ago by Audioabuelito24

I've been taking the same train to work for 6 years. There was an older Hispanic man I always saw on my route to work, he speaks nearly no English, and my Spanish is awful but for whatever reason we began saying hi to each other.
Because I was always on my way to work I never really got to know him too well. But 5 days a week for 6 years he would try his best English and I would do my best Spanish and we'd say hi, how are you, talk about the weather or recent holiday etc.
Obviously we weren't super close and I didn't even know his name until recently. But he always got my day off to a good start and I always missed him on the days he wasn't there. One time it was very hot and I collapsed coming out of the station and he bought me a water and called me a cab. I will really miss our morning greetings.
Well he wasn't around for 2 weeks, which is the longest he's ever been gone so I went inside the coffee shop he's always in front of and asked about him and they told me he passed away. Apparently he had been very sick and just passed over the weekend. They're holding his funeral tomorrow and I think I'd like to go.
None of his friends and family are going to know who the gently caress I am, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate. I don't want to be a distraction on their day of remembrance. I also worry because the service is in a Spanish language church in the Hispanic neighborhood and It's very likely someone will speak English, but I worry I won't be able to explain who I am and what this old man meant to me.
I guess I selfishly want to say goodbye too, but I would also love to be able to tell them what a kind and sweet man he was to me so if anyone knows a relatively good translation site I could use, I though if I go I'd maybe bring a card?
I guess I just want to know if any of this is okay or if I'm intruding?
Tl;dr - acquaintance passed away, none of his friends and family know me, is it appropriate to go to the funeral or is it intruding?

I'm a [24F] with Asperger's and I struggle with the idea that I don't perform in relationships as well as others. My [28M] boyfriend of two months brought up some feedback last night. I'm wondering if it's related.Non-Romantic
5 points 3 comments submitted 12 days ago by gaspstruggleflail to r/relationships

Note on title: Relationships as in friendships

This all started last night, when I was heading back to my boyfriend's place with him. He's been encouraging me to share my feelings more recently, so I told him about how I felt earlier at a class pub night.

One of my classmates who makes me nervous showed up. He and I did a big group project together last Fall. I was going through therapy and really struggling with my program, I had difficulty grasping the material and applying it. I showed up to all group meetings, but I felt pretty useless. I was very embarrassed about my struggles, so I had never shared them with the group. I felt like seeing my old group members reminded me of my failures, so I avoided all of them as much as possible in the Winter semester. If they didn't address me, I'd avoid acknowledging them.

My classmate and I spoke briefly, and he told me he didn't want to stay unless anyone he knew was there. He started texting another member of the Fall group. I saw his phone screen as he did it, the person's name showed up under recent. This upset me, and kind of poisoned my night.

I told my boyfriend I felt really ashamed about this, and it made me reflect on the fact that my peers have developed and maintained close relationships and I haven't. I would say I have quite a few friends - people who respond positively to my plan suggestions, invite me to things of their own, share things with me, and even text me first sometimes. I don't have this relationship with anyone in my program. I barely saw the people I felt closest to in the Winter semester all summer. They are essentially acquaintances.

At his place, my boyfriend told me a few things that bothered him. I talk about my exes too much, I don't really ask him questions about the things he brings up to make him feel listened to and often directly change the subject when he talks about his interests. I think there may have been something else, but it's escaping me.

If you have any advice or suggestions I'd appreciate that.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 22, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

im the white mold crock pot

So I've made beef stew in a crock pot before, and I've taking the ceramic part out and put it in the fridge with the leftovers, and when I take it out the next day it's got white bits that look kind of like that from, I'm guessing, the fat.

That's what that is. I'm choosing to believe so hard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I (M19) antisocial think i found a girlfriend (F19) although she is not as successful as i hoped

Background: Were both achitecture students . We go to this lebanese university where its a different system that what you guys are used to. Its like you stay with the same people for 5 years of architecture.. the classes are fixed. This is the second year. So i have another 4 years of uni with her. Im also antisocial (i think i have aspergers), shes also antisocial. And we both feel very comfortable around each other. THE PROBLEM: and this is going to sound wierd. Just please dont misjudge. Im one of the top student in the class (like in the top 2 or 3) and im always willing to progress, god created me as a smart weird human. I want keep on getting better. She is a bit of a procrastinator. She does things slowly and she doesnt have much will to just begin something. I kindof get her. Cause if im reading ( studying ) i cant really focus and i keep daydreaming. Not productive at all. So i kindof sympathise with her. But i really want to 'love' and i need someone that can help my wierd antisocial-self Love. I know another girl (who is fun, sexy and very social) although we both are different . I like metal shes into arabic stuff. And shes into series. Im more of a person that does weird stuff and have a weird different mindset. But i feel like i have to work on myself and learn some things so i can make her look at me in a boyfriend way (the other girl). I rejected her last year because i felt like poo poo and had too much problems, on top of my aspergers thing. I couldnt look people in the eye last year, i was feeling like poo poo. (I still do :) just better ) so what do you guys think

Edit: she is one of the last 10 people in a class of 50... so yeah

Edit 2: she is not my girlfriend. We only went to the mall once. I just feel like it can work with her easily

tl;dr should i take my chances with a social sexy interesting and fun women or just i go down for a calm accepting relationship with an uninteresting procrastinator that totally gets me but has poo poo will (important to note that i feel like we can work on ourselves on the social side together) / or should o go with both. Befriend the first for a year than the second after her

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

I (M19) antisocial think i found a girlfriend (F19) although she is not as successful as i hoped

Background: Were both achitecture students . We go to this lebanese university where its a different system that what you guys are used to. Its like you stay with the same people for 5 years of architecture.. the classes are fixed. This is the second year. So i have another 4 years of uni with her. Im also antisocial (i think i have aspergers), shes also antisocial. And we both feel very comfortable around each other. THE PROBLEM: and this is going to sound wierd. Just please dont misjudge. Im one of the top student in the class (like in the top 2 or 3) and im always willing to progress, god created me as a smart weird human. I want keep on getting better. She is a bit of a procrastinator. She does things slowly and she doesnt have much will to just begin something. I kindof get her. Cause if im reading ( studying ) i cant really focus and i keep daydreaming. Not productive at all. So i kindof sympathise with her. But i really want to 'love' and i need someone that can help my wierd antisocial-self Love. I know another girl (who is fun, sexy and very social) although we both are different . I like metal shes into arabic stuff. And shes into series. Im more of a person that does weird stuff and have a weird different mindset. But i feel like i have to work on myself and learn some things so i can make her look at me in a boyfriend way (the other girl). I rejected her last year because i felt like poo poo and had too much problems, on top of my aspergers thing. I couldnt look people in the eye last year, i was feeling like poo poo. (I still do :) just better ) so what do you guys think

Edit: she is one of the last 10 people in a class of 50... so yeah

Edit 2: she is not my girlfriend. We only went to the mall once. I just feel like it can work with her easily

tl;dr should i take my chances with a social sexy interesting and fun women or just i go down for a calm accepting relationship with an uninteresting procrastinator that totally gets me but has poo poo will (important to note that i feel like we can work on ourselves on the social side together) / or should o go with both. Befriend the first for a year than the second after her

Print this out and show it to both of them, then ask what they think. All your problems should resolve themselves! :ocelot:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pick posted:

Me (31F) with acquaintance (72M) is it appropriate to go to his funeral?Non-Romantic

Of course it is. His family will be touched to see you and how much your talks with him meant to you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Print this out and show it to both of them, then ask what they think. All your problems should resolve themselves! :ocelot:

this problem has already solved itself, he just doesn't know it yet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Proteus Jones posted:

Of course it is. His family will be touched to see you and how much your talks with him meant to you.

And if the coffee shop knew the details, its probably not being held as a family-only affair.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was with my GF for 3 years before she broke up with me. She said she wasnt sure for a long time (like 2 years). I made her graph how she felt, and it went from being in love, peaking at 'maybe marry?' in the first year, with lots and lots of ups and downs, then after the first year it zig zagged down to 'deep friendship love'.

She has a friend who lives in a different country. They have been friends for a few years before we met. She has made sex-RP stories with him in the past, and used to love him and want to be with him. When we were first dating she told me he was going to visit a girl (i forget where, but he had to travel) and she acted upset about it because 'he would never travel for me'. She has always considered him a really good friend, one of her closest friends. I do not believe they did any sex-rp'ing or sending of naked pictures or anything while we were dating, but almost immediately after we broke up she was talking to him about rebounds; and they started sex-rp'ing again (about 2 weeks after we broke up. I actually found out because she was doing it while we were in the last month of living together and I heard her typing in the other room and asked her what she was doing, and she told me). During the last year of our relationship she would always be checking her phone, and I noticed her texting him a lot. They would sometimes have skype dates to watch shows together while we were dating. I was okay with them being friends, and having skype dates to spend time together since he lives in a different country.. but I dont know if any of this constitutes emotional infidelity?

I am a mess and cant really take care of myself. I just have a bad feeling about this. I dont want to think she was emotionally unfaithful to me, but I really dont know.

After we broke up, they set a date for her to finally go see him in his country. She has told me 'we'll have sex probably, but I dont think it would work out between us / were not compatible'.

TL;DR: What constitutes emotional infidelity?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pick posted:

I was with my GF for 3 years before she broke up with me. She said she wasnt sure for a long time (like 2 years). I made her graph how she felt, and it went from being in love, peaking at 'maybe marry?' in the first year, with lots and lots of ups and downs, then after the first year it zig zagged down to 'deep friendship love'.

She has a friend who lives in a different country. They have been friends for a few years before we met. She has made sex-RP stories with him in the past, and used to love him and want to be with him. When we were first dating she told me he was going to visit a girl (i forget where, but he had to travel) and she acted upset about it because 'he would never travel for me'. She has always considered him a really good friend, one of her closest friends. I do not believe they did any sex-rp'ing or sending of naked pictures or anything while we were dating, but almost immediately after we broke up she was talking to him about rebounds; and they started sex-rp'ing again (about 2 weeks after we broke up. I actually found out because she was doing it while we were in the last month of living together and I heard her typing in the other room and asked her what she was doing, and she told me). During the last year of our relationship she would always be checking her phone, and I noticed her texting him a lot. They would sometimes have skype dates to watch shows together while we were dating. I was okay with them being friends, and having skype dates to spend time together since he lives in a different country.. but I dont know if any of this constitutes emotional infidelity?

I am a mess and cant really take care of myself. I just have a bad feeling about this. I dont want to think she was emotionally unfaithful to me, but I really dont know.

After we broke up, they set a date for her to finally go see him in his country. She has told me 'we'll have sex probably, but I dont think it would work out between us / were not compatible'.

TL;DR: What constitutes emotional infidelity?

Jesus dude. Who the gently caress cares? YOU BROKE UP

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Jesus dude. Who the gently caress cares? YOU BROKE UP

i think what he's trying to figure out is if he was being cheated on during the relationship, which seems like something you'd want to know for closure if nothing else

he's definitely more than a little far into "I still matter to her!" territory, he should :sever: but let's not kid ourselves he's going to keep up this pathetic poo poo for way longer than he should

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have just entered my very first relationship this summer with a friend of mine (we'll call her Tiffany), it came as a shock due to the fact that a girl wanted and chased after me and unfortunately due to the timing (My grandmother who I was very close with died unexpectedly, and we made our relationship official the week we buried her). I met Tiffany during my sophomore year at college on a school project; she was very kind and talkative and always made an extra effort to be around me. After a couple of months I started to suspect that she had a crush on me so I asked her in February point blank and she denied it, she was in a relationship with another guy (we'll call him Derrick) which recently had ending and only saw me as a friend. I pretty much left it alone until June when we both went to a dance as friends, her brother dropped her and me off separately and when Tiffany was gone her brother told me she was totally into me and that I shouldn't give up. Towards the end of June I messaged Tiffany and told her my feelings which she was shocked and was a little disappointed that I didn't say anything earlier, that if I had I said something she might have tried dating me. I told her that at the time I knew she was interested in Derrick and I was trying to respect her relationship and give her space but if she felt confident about dating I'd give it my best, unfortunately Tiffany couldn't give a definitive answer and we left it off the table.

A few weeks later in July Tiffany messaged me out of the blue asking if I had still had feelings for her, when I said yes it turned into an all night sexting session which while I enjoyed it I was left pretty confused about her wants and intentions. It got crazier the next day after Tiffany said she regretted starting the whole thing, she didn't know what she wanted and couldn't make a decision; she told me she was scared of dating me because if we broke up she would be destroyed, but didn't want to see me with anyone else and if she did that would destroy her as well. I told Tiffany I was getting frustrated with her indecisiveness and that she needed to make a decision, I told her I would be there for her whether as a friend or as a boyfriend but if she was going to stay in limbo that I couldn't be her friend because any friendly action I made she might take as a sign of something else and I didn't want to lead her on or make her feel manipulated. After a day Tiffany decided to try dating together and we became a couple.

Going into it I knew that Tiffany was a bit on the insecure side and was okay with it, but I honestly didn't know how bad the insecurities were. When we tried making out for the first time Tiffany had a panic attack because she said my lips and body type reminded her of Derrick, I tried to get her to calm down and promised her I would take it easy with the PDA until she was more comfortable. Tiffany felt insecure in comparison to my friends; she's the youngest at 18/19 when the majority of my friends are in their early 20s to early 30s in long term relationships or engaged and that she felt like a little kid who doesn't belong in my life despite me saying otherwise. Tiffany would continuing compare herself to my best friend and would constantly say that my best friend (who's a woman) is more important and meant more to me than she was despite me saying and trying to stop orherwise. When we had an argument and I told her that she was being difficult to talk to Tiffany completely shut down and walked away, and after following her to understand why she told me that was the same comment Derrick made and was the reason why he broke up with her. Just to get her to calm down and to talk I apologized even though I did stand by what I said. I was being patient and understanding because I know relationships aren't always pretty and it takes hard work, I was fine with the baggage coming in because unlike me Tiffany had some dating experience which was mainly negative, and I knew that coming in.

Things came to ahead when I was making a wedding joke about a friend of mine struggling to find appropriate foot wear, Tiffany out of nowhere said that she could never marry me because I'm indecisive about having kids and my health issues. I've said in conversations that I'm unsure about having kids due to the fact that I have Aspergers Syndrome and my fear of raising a kid with full on Autism that would never have the ability to grow and be independent of themselves. With my health issues I got diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about three years ago as well as an enlarged heart, I was told that unless I made major changes to my diet and lifestyle I wouldn't live to see past my 40s. I told Tiffany about my stance about having kids and that while I'm undecided now I could change my mind after I've established myself in my career by my early 30s. With the health I mentioned how I l've lost 50 pounds this year alone and over 100 pounds since my diagnosis, I still talk about them because they're apart of my life as well as I use it as motivation to continue my success and to enjoy every day that I'm alive. Tiffany told me that it was unfair of me to not have a decision about being a father because since she was 13 she's known that she wants at least 3 kids and wants to start having them by her mid 20s. I was pissed because it felt as though she's already condemning the relationship and with these comments as well as the insecurity that I felt I was being pushed away. This let to me mostly ignoring Tiffany the next day but unfortunately that created another argument in where she was upset that I didn't tell her my plans or schedule for the day, I told her I was busy and just didn't have the time though admittedly I just wanted a day off from dealing with Tiffany's insecurities.

When we met up at work the next day Tiffany broke up with me because it was too much and wanted space, and that she could never 100% see me as her boyfriend. I told her I'd still be there for her but and she just left, I was just stunned. My understanding is that a relationship works by the couple bettering each other and workimg out their issues and Tiffany just decided to leave at the earliest sign of trouble in paradise. I srarted to feel pretty guilty about not responding to her and for being selfish about wanting one day to be alone. I'm not going to beg her and plead for Tiffany to come back because I have enough self respect in myself to not to even though it's exactly what I want to do, plus I still have to see her at work for at least the next two weeks so it's going to be very awkward. I'm just blindsided by this and don't know what to do.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

jesus i regret reading any of that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:murder:

My(M30) girlfriend(F28) of 6 years cheated on me right before Christmas while I was away and shopping for an engagement ring. Still whirling.

quote:

We had talked about marriage a bunch and from what I could tell we were madly in love. Wonderful relationship for years. Great and frequent sex (till the last few weeks). Lots of laughs and fun. It was kinda crazy how well we seemed to mesh. We had barely ever even been in a fight. We live in NY, where her family lives, but my family is in Oregon. I went home for Christmas to see my parents and sister while she stayed with her family.

About three weeks before I left I noticed some erratic behavior from her and I felt something was wrong, but I just attributed it to her stressful office/tech job. But one night during this time she didn't come home without even a text or phone call (which she has NEVER done before) and I stayed up all night crying thinking she was dead or in jail... but she just showed up in the morning all smiles and said she slept outside in the freezing cold... WHAT?! I let it go cause I knew she was cheating (she obviously terrible at lying) and I just wanted her to admit it herself... She denied any wrongdoing. I decided to let her figure it out and tell me when she was ready.

Also the day before I left I caught her texting with someone at 3 am and when I asked to see the phone she refused and deleted all of her messages saying her phone was just broken. The next night I am about to get on the plane home. I pull out my phone and check the find my iphone app (which we both have and have used before) and she has driven from the airport to drop me off to a house I have never been to before 15 miles away from our apartment. I take a deep breath and get on the plane.

So I'm back in Oregon and I'm willing to forgive her if she'll fess up, but she repeatedly tells me nothing is going on. Cheating I can strangely deal with... poo poo happens (although I have never done it) But lying on the other hand I can not deal with.

I had planned to go shopping for engagement rings that day with my mother and decided to go through the motions as I didn't want to tell my parents yet what was happening. After that we go back to my parents house and just before bed I call my girlfriend. I accuse her of cheating (not mentioning find my iphone) and she denies it saying she loves me more than anything and would never do or say anything to betray my trust and she wants to be with me forever. Then she says she isn't feeling well and wants to go to sleep. I say OK as long as she doesn't have anything else she wants to tell me and she truly does love me. She gets mad at me for badgering her about this ridiculous cheating accusation, says yes to all the trust and love questions, and proceeds to go to "bed".

I open the find my iphone app and watch her drive the 15 miles away to the same house as before at 2 am. I call her repeatedly and she doesn't answer. I cry all night long.

The next morning I tell my parents. It's Christmas eve... eve. We all cry together and they ask me to call her and see if we can work it out.

I call her and tell her about the Iphone finder. She tries to make an excuse saying it must be a glitch. She still wont confess. She says she would never do that. But finally I get it out of her and she says yes she did have sex with someone she works with and yes it's been going on for a month all the while making up a bunch of stupid lies to make her look slightly better. But the weird part is she shows no remorse. She doesn't cry or anything. She just says a monotone "sorry" a bunch of times and then silence. She says she has to go to work and will call me later that night. I get upset and I tell her that I'm going to tell her family... that's when she cries. Begs me to not tell her mother. I agree not to.

Later that night after a full day of wanting to kill myself, she calls. We talk and nothing is resolved aside from her telling me she won't see the dude again. After some thinking, I tell her to move out of our apartment so when I get back from Christmas I don't have to deal with her untilI figure things out myself. She says OK.

Aside from a random text here ant there I haven't seen her since before we broke up when she dropped me off at the airport. It's been 7 months. I didn't even get to say goodbye to her face. It ended over the phone 3,000 miles apart after 6 years.

Here is the next problem. She had no job for years and I paid for most everything. We had an agreement (verbal, not signed) that when she got money she'd pay me back. We kept a spread sheet over the 6 years of all the money I spent, and all the money she gave me to pay it off. It worked out pretty good chipping away at the payment... but in the end it was just shy of $20,000 she owed and now she refuses to pay any more of it saying that I hurt her by leaving her... ok... She also wont return my calls. I have been insanely polite and loving to her still and given her a lot of time to work this out. But still nothing. I want the money back and I want this nightmare over. I don't really want to kill myself anymore, so don't worry... but what do I do to get this back and be happy again? Why did she do this? This sucks.

TL;DR; Girlfriend of 6 years cheated on me and lied, won't repay money she owes me, and won't return my calls. What do I do to get over it and get my money back?

Thank you everyone for reading.

Love Ben

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

jesus i regret reading any of that

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Haifisch posted:

My(M30) girlfriend(F28) of 6 years cheated on me right before Christmas while I was away and shopping for an engagement ring. Still whirling.

I'm sad now

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Haifisch posted:

i definitely would have told her mom lol

also, dude needs to get a lawyer. unjust enrichment is a thing

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol that he thinks he'll ever see that money. What a weirdo. A spreadsheet? Lmao

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol that he thinks he'll ever see that money. What a weirdo. A spreadsheet? Lmao

yes he is clearly the bad person in this story, thank you for that insightful hot take

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If there's a spreadsheet there might be something written (informal but still written) regarding their agreement, and he can at least try to get his money back. I choose to hope. Poor guy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I (27F) badly hurt my new boyfriend (34M). He doesn't seem upset about it but I can't stop feeling guilty.

He should :sever: and :therapy:. I don't think he's ready for a relationship and if they just keep at it she is eventually going to get conditioned into being the abusive partner he thinks he deserves, and that she's afraid she might become.

Jesus this lady is a loving monster. Leave him before you destroy him more you maniac.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If I'm paying tens of thousands of dollars to support someone you bet I'm keeping a spreadsheet.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

Tell her family. What do you have to lose?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Admiral Ray posted:

Jesus this lady is a loving monster. Leave him before you destroy him more you maniac.

I think people in the comments have made her realize that trying to love-bomb him for it is just going to feed into an abusive pattern. :geno:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dienes posted:

They might have a couple designated fire doors with alarms, might. 90% of the doors won't have alarms of any kind in the best-case scenario.

The subtle hint that the staff should do something is the missing body in the room they are supposed to be teaching and interacting with. If you're actually doing your job, you'll notice right away if someone who was there isn't there anymore.

Uh. In my high school all the doors to the outside had fire alarms attached except for the designated entrances and exists that were monitored. You couldn't just leave the building in the middle of the day if you were skipping a class.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PetraCore posted:

Uh. In my high school all the doors to the outside had fire alarms attached except for the designated entrances and exists that were monitored. You couldn't just leave the building in the middle of the day if you were skipping a class.

In my high school we had one gate with a guard, but he would sometimes be doing rounds and not quite lock it properly, and there were other parts of the fence you could climb through. Lots of skipping had to do with us having gap hours when some of us did some finals a year or two early, or we'd walk to city-wide classes in other schools rather than wait for the bus that was late and not pleasant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dienes posted:

I don't "think" anything in particular about anyplace I don't know. I'm describing what is typical and customary where I live and used to work in this business. Many other places I've been appear to be largely similar if they are in a city or suburb. Much looser in other places where one would presume this is a lot less "necessary."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I have never been in a school with alarms on the doors and my anecdotal evidence is more valid than all of yours

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah I mean and you could just straight up walk out the front door if you gave no fucks, but the reason for the fire alarms and the other outside doors being locked on the outside (except for the front door) was more to keep randos from wandering in than to keep high schoolers from leaving. You could always get out, you'd just set off fire alarms if someone with keys didn't insert them as you opened the door or whatever.

Did you know some grown-rear end men with high-school aged girlfriends want to sneak into the school and have sex there during the school day? I do, since a loser tried that in another local school a while back but immediately got caught and arrested despite his underage girlfriend's protestations that it was totally her idea, officer!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Geez I understand the enjoying the thrill of maybe getting caught but not when it means you also go to pedophile prison. It'd be weird for even two teachers to have sex in the school itself!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Geez I understand the enjoying the thrill of maybe getting caught but not when it means you also go to pedophile prison. It'd be weird for even two teachers to have sex in the school itself!!!

MEN ARE STUPID AND LOVE TO RAPE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
sigh, hashtag, #notallmen

JUST A BUNCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Have you met teachers? I'd be surprised if any school building older then a few years hasn't been christened by some teachers working on their extra curricular activities.