Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

SPLITS

In football news McGovern has been ruled out, rip us if we pick Otten or Milera to replace him

I thought Milera looked promising when I've seen him play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Apolis posted:

Sure, but he's not going to play McGovern's role.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Sorry, phone posting. Meant to say, disappointed Essendon hasn't come out with an unequivocal vote yes statement.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Apolis posted:

He kicks nice, but he's a lightweight who puts on no pressure at all and vanishes when the going is tough, and McGovern puts on a stack of forward pressure, the most of all our tall forwards. Likewise Otten can't pressure for poo poo either, the spirit is willing but the body isn't.

I think Troy Menzel is best suited to the role, I hope he's the one that comes in.

e: gently caress, they brought in Otten

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Prelim final tommorow boiz with the coin flip cats involved

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

e: gently caress, they brought in Otten

:getin:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thepokey posted:

Sorry, phone posting. Meant to say, disappointed Essendon hasn't come out with an unequivocal vote yes statement.

Was hoping that was the case, which is why I didnt launch a spray.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Was hoping that was the case, which is why I didnt launch a spray.

Phone posting is the worst when it literally can change the entire meaning of your post with one word (or absence thereof :( )

On the topic, I had to school someone today at the place I volunteer. Am also incredibly annoyed that even in an amazing, supportive and hands down best work/organisation I've been involved in that these things still creep in. Had someone annoyed that the finals series was "ruined" by the AFL "getting involved in politics". When I pointed out that it wasn't even politics then the goal posts shifted and it was "well they shouldn't get involved in social justice issues". I brought up the beginnings of ANZAC day and the importance highlighting racism can be done through sport (think Nicky Winmar). These things are apparently "different". this person is apparently voting yes but the AFL are "doing their best to change my mind" apparently.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Spedman posted:

Welcome to the left, loving splitter

Pretty much. One of the greatest failings of left wingers is the incessant infighting over who is more socially conscious etc..

Funnily enough, Eddie Maguire had good points this morning and supporting the AFL in having their say in the issue.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol, gently caress Carlton and the AFL

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thepokey posted:

Apparently this is happening soon

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snoremac posted:

Can't wait for Sam Newman's hot take.

Football identity Sam Newman has slammed the AFL following the organisation's controversial decision to change its logo to 'Yes' in support of same-sex marriage.

Newman told a cheering Footy Show audience that the AFL were "obsequious, fawning, sycophantic political whores" that had "no right to get involved in political messages".

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Imagine being in the audience for the footy show in 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sounds like Eddie was good though

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

Sounds like Eddie was good though

He was

"Eddie"' posted:

A fired-up Eddie McGuire, long-serving Collingwood Football Club president and media personality, strongly defended the AFL and lashed out at "gutless" politicians for burdening Australia with the postal survey process.

"The reason the AFL and the football clubs have become a bit more of a lightning rod for social issues is because we've got such gutless politicians who cannot make a decision," he told Triple M radio on Thursday.

"We shouldn't be having this plebiscite. The federal government should have made a decision - that's what they're getting paid for. We have politicians who stand for nothing other than the next election, that's why people turn to the AFL."

Mr McGuire, a supporter of same-sex marriage, said trusted institutions such as the Catholic church and others "have let us down so badly that people in the community turn to their football clubs now for direction".

The AFL would have been "kicked from here to eternity" and branded "liars or cowards by omission" if it hadn't acted on its long-standing support for marriage equality, he said.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Whoa, that's like, nice work Eddie.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I just hope tonight's final is another blowout by half-time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I agree with a thing Eddie McGuire said and did.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Also on the "corporations/clubs being wishy washy weak arses who refuse to take a stand either way" thing: That's the way it has always been. Unless it's a hot button personal issue with the CEO, these people are terrified of the kind of organized boycotts that groups on both sides threaten on these kinds of issues, and they don't want even one less bigoted arsehole giving them money. So they sit on the fence.

Still, better than in America with Chick Fil A and their homophobia and closing on Sundays, and I forget which burger chain has Bible verses on it's wrappers or something like that.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I feel like such an idiot for genuinely believing the "Sam Newman is actually a decent guy who just plays a character for the camera" line for so long. gently caress him.

I'm really scared the Crows might lose tonight :ohdear: Prove me wrong boys!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
ABC news radio just told me freo also put out a Hawthorn/Carlton style fence sitting statement.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Apparently this is happening soon

Yep you're right, Essendon just officially backed the yes vote.

Most of the comments are positive but still a few morons there. There are so many arguments I hate but one of the dumbest is "just get back to playing footy!" As if somehow the entire league/club is at a stand still and this is some huge disruption. People doing an awful job at hiding their prejudice.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

thepokey posted:

Most of the comments are positive but still a few morons there. There are so many arguments I hate but one of the dumbest is "just get back to playing footy!" As if somehow the entire league/club is at a stand still and this is some huge disruption. People doing an awful job at hiding their prejudice.

My favourite is "keep politics out of sport!!!!" like footy exists inside a cultural vacuum or something?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

On a "glass half full" spin of positivity here:

At least no footballers/clubs have come out as actively promoting the NO vote.

(Sam Newman doesn't count.)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eddie has always been good (except he made those v. dumb comments during the whole Goodes thing)

also

Chairchucker posted:

IMO there must surely come a time when we as a society come together as one and agree that we don't care what Sam thinks about anything ever again.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cmndstab posted:

I feel like such an idiot for genuinely believing the "Sam Newman is actually a decent guy who just plays a character for the camera" line for so long. gently caress him.

I'm afraid to ask what tipped the line for you considering he did black face poo poo years and years ago

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

cmndstab posted:

'political ideology - full time troll' is a lucrative business these days

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

He's honestly a 2GB radio shock jock dumped on the TV.

I mean, what does half the poo poo he rants about have to do with football? gently caress all, but the people who say keep politics out of football eat it up with a spoon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

I'm really scared the Crows might lose tonight :ohdear:

Same

cmndstab posted:

Prove me wrong boys!

Same

BrigadierSensible posted:

I agree with a thing Eddie McGuire said and did.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Same

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Let's get positive in here! CROWS GONNA ROMP IT HOME MOTHER FUCKERRRRRRRRRRS

Or the game will be decided when Selwood attempts to duck into a free in front of the Crows goal and gets called HTB instead :getin:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I want the Crows to win because gently caress seeing the Cats in another GF anytime soon (also it'd be great for the whole Danger story if the Crows went on to win a flag without him). Crows v either winner of the other prelim gives us teams that haven't won a flag for ages (ever if you are GWS). Crows v Tigers would be great.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've got some contingency bandwagons still available in case Crows don't get up. In order, GWS then Geelong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

For those here advocating Crows based positivity, think on this.

If they win tonight, there is a strong possibility thatthey will either lose the GF to a fake made up team with 2 1/2 supporters, or they will lose the GF to Richmond, and thus trigger the end of civilization as we know it.

Do you want to be responsible for that? Eh? Do ya?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

For those here advocating Crows based positivity, think on this.

If they win tonight, there is a strong possibility thatthey will either lose the GF to a fake made up team with 2 1/2 supporters, or they will lose the GF to Richmond, and thus trigger the end of civilization as we know it.

Do you want to be responsible for that? Eh? Do ya?

I wouldn't say strong possibility. We've already whooped GWS this finals series, for example, and Richmond could Richmond in the GF

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
But if we lose we open the door for Geelong to get their assed kicked by Richmond again in the GF. I think we have a responsibility to Australia to close the door on that possibility.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We cannot allow a Richmond GF.

Crows are the best bet on stopping that if GWS fail tomorrow.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah I think Geelong will be cooked (despite them looking a million dollars last week).

I don't mind GWS myself but they can wait another year, I feel. Adelaide vs Richmond is the GF I want.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Or the game will be decided when Selwood attempts to duck into a free in front of the Crows goal and gets called HTB instead :getin:

why do you think a midfielder ducking for a free kick in front of goal in a final at adelaide would get called play on?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah I think Geelong will be cooked (despite them looking a million dollars last week).

I don't mind GWS myself but they can wait another year, I feel. Adelaide vs Richmond is the GF I want.

Can't risk it, GWS this year or we call the whole thing off.

Richmond V Carlton Round 1 opening game of the season, Richmond home game next year. It'll be insufferable.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

drunkill posted:

We cannot allow a Richmond GF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am extremely tense

• Locked thread