Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
As much as I love Jimbo, I think FW has been way better without him. One of the episodes last week (I've forgotten which one) was an absolute classic too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I missed her surname but that Jackie woman in FW was good

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I have not listened to the episode but the show notes says it is this person https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley .

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/909857049542086657

Lmao @ Baz's Chair

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

julian assflange posted:

I missed her surname but that Jackie woman in FW was good

Jacqui Oatley, the person a lot of people shat themselves about when she started doing commentary on MOTD a few years ago because she had the gall to have a woman's voice. She was great, hope she's going to be a regular.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair I think it was a little jarring at first hearing female commentary given we were subconsciously conditioned to expect Male commentary, it didn’t help her that in general MOTD commentary is annoying (to me personally) because it’s done after the fact and falsely acting surprised about what just transpired having Just hinted at it. It’s not ‘organic’ I suppose.

Oatley was really good though, preferred her to Kelly Cates.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

To be fair I think it was a little jarring at first hearing female commentary given we were subconsciously conditioned to expect Male commentary, it didn’t help her that in general MOTD commentary is annoying (to me personally) because it’s done after the fact and falsely acting surprised about what just transpired having Just hinted at it. It’s not ‘organic’ I suppose.

Is that really the case? Never knew that.

What annoys be about it (though is fairly unavoidable) is where they show something happen like a yellow card or someone coming off the bench and you know it's going to be followed by a second yellow or the sub scoring. That's the nature of highlights, though.

In the little I've listened to the Totally Football one, Cates has been hit and miss. Seemed nervous at first then was ok but not great. She's a good presenter, but I'm not sure if she's a good pundit or if she even has any experience of it at all? I've only ever seen her as a presenter before.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 21, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly didn't realise she was Kenny Daglish's daughter, I'm probably the only one.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is incorrect. MOTD commentary are done live and they send the commentator to the match to commentate it live. There may be times they do it after the fact if there were audio issue or something like that.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

psyer posted:

This is incorrect. MOTD commentary are done live and they send the commentator to the match to commentate it live. There may be times they do it after the fact if there were audio issue or something like that.

they used to do them after the game sometimes but not for the past 20 years or so. It's also quite obvious they are done live. Therefore it's a pretty big fail on the part of op

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That Dutch woman on today's FW was good

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

RideTheSpiral posted:

they used to do them after the game sometimes but not for the past 20 years or so. It's also quite obvious they are done live. Therefore it's a pretty big fail on the part of op

I haven’t watched MOTD in years anyway so will accept if I’m wrong but if they are done live then those commentators must make a fortune sports betting because they always seem to intimate what will transpire in the match before it actually does.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also, Harry Kane is my favourite Gangs Of The EPL character

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

julian assflange posted:

That Dutch woman on today's FW was good

I also liked Barry's "worst game of football" story.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd say some older journos have loads of stories like that but it sounded horrible

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

algebra testes posted:

I also liked Barry's "worst game of football" story.

Can you remember at what point in the episode it was?

I gave up after about 20 minutes this week because I want to hear them be funny and talk about football. Instead I got renowned social commentators Max and Barry pontificating about sexism and racism. Would never have happened under Jimbo's watch :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lot 49 posted:

I gave up after about 20 minutes this week because I want to hear them be funny and talk about football. Instead I got renowned social commentators Max and Barry pontificating about sexism and racism. Would never have happened under Jimbo's watch :(

1:00 hour on the dot gets you that, and the widely re-posted Roy Keane story.

edit: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/19/crystal-palace-bolton-wanderers-championship

That's Barry's report and it's a really good read!

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 22, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

julian assflange posted:

Also, Harry Kane is my favourite Gangs Of The EPL character

What about phil jones?

Yes please!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

What about phil jones?

Yes please!

I'm a big fan of Marcus Rashford's American accent.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lot 49 posted:

Can't even be sexist and racist in football anymore

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

algebra testes posted:

1:00 hour on the dot gets you that, and the widely re-posted Roy Keane story.

edit: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jan/19/crystal-palace-bolton-wanderers-championship

That's Barry's report and it's a really good read!

Thank you kindly.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

RideTheSpiral posted:

Can't even be sexist and racist in football anymore

Circular discussion is just always boring as gently caress to listen to.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Joey Barton Keegan thing on the Ramble was good, I came to the Ramble late admittedly but think it has improved slightly after a bit of a dip last season.

Has Mince gone to a daft update schedule again?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bape Culture posted:

What about phil jones?

Yes please!

Jonjo Shelvey was brilliant as well

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

julian assflange posted:

Jonjo Shelvey was brilliant as well

He looks a bit eastern European to me.

I'm going to their next live show in October so I'm going to get drunk and yell at them to make more actual podcasts

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jealous

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I guess they won't come to Ireland to do a show after Bobs Dara Ó Briain impression

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dublin podcast festival is on and all

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Joey Barton Keegan thing on the Ramble was good, I came to the Ramble late admittedly but think it has improved slightly after a bit of a dip last season.

Yeah the Ramble has been better this season. I think since they've launched On The Continent they can focus more tightly on the Prem which they're all interested in - Pete and Jim clearly had almost no interest in Serie A and the like so it was just Marcus and Luke blathering on. Replacing the opening question with Going for Glol has definitely helped too

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AthleticoMince/status/911310193471950854

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
They broke the episode and had to get someone to fix it
https://twitter.com/AthleticoMince/status/912275402420310016

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Am I misremembering due to the irregular updates or has Bob let Andy take over the Mark Lawrenson stuff? I know Andy always did the voice but thought it was Bob who did the stories.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Max Rushden's Guardian Article about how they record football weekly was one thing, but Barry and Jonathan Wilson making GBS threads on the article on twitter is just the best.

https://twitter.com/ev_bartlett/status/912647091318591495

https://twitter.com/jonawils/status/912696699591774208

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Football weekly has been pretty good in the last few episodes you guys were right. That american statto bloke was interesting.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hope peter Beardsley is okay lmao

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

They dont let him heat his chicken wrap up in the bus station anymore.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I've finally listened to a couple episodes of Totally Football, and I can't put my finger on why, but it just seems like a boring version of the old Football Weekly. Doesn't seem like Jimbo's heart is in it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bape Culture posted:

You are a right Boots McFoolish

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

blue footed boobie posted:

I've finally listened to a couple episodes of Totally Football, and I can't put my finger on why, but it just seems like a boring version of the old Football Weekly. Doesn't seem like Jimbo's heart is in it.

It seems like both shows have shifted consciously in opposite directions. FW towards more humor, off topic talk, everyman takes on events while FW is trying to be more serious. Though I think even FW is handling the serious chat better as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I still haven't listened to post-Jimbo FW because I'm a loyal Jimbo fan, but I guess I'll give it a whirl. Totally Football doesn't seem to be doing it for me, and you can only listen to the Ramble so much before it gets grating.