Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Hell yeah, that coat owns, Elezen own, cravats own, Elezen wearing that coat that's covered in cravats own. Kinda wish I had gone Duskwright but I gave myself enough headaches trying to color coordinate stuff on my oddly-colored Xaela.

edit: also, I should swap the glasses for a monocle for maximum class.

I was rocking the monocle for a time, but can't find a screenshot with it in it, but yes it was classy as gently caress. I've now got the tribal savage look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I finally hit max level and finished the Stormblood MSQ's and I have some thoughts

Is it just me or is Hien kind of an enormous piece of poo poo? The dude basically co-opts the Xeala's Nadaam thing, and more or less manipulates the weakest tribe to use their own people to fight his war. I mean he's probably not deliberately manipulating them but he's still taking advantage of a group that doesn't have the heart to refuse him

I did find it sort of humorous that Zenos opted for harnessing the power of a primal. Like dude you literally call me the eikon-slayer and you turn around and turn yourself into another eikon :psyduck:

The emperor seems much more rational than I initially expected him to be at the end, but I don't see how Ala Mhigo and Doma rebelling as they did doesn't automatically lead to them bringing the full weight of the Empire down upon everyone's heads. I'm guess by the time that happens they'll have an entire legion of those Resonant for everyone to contend with as well

I vastly preferred Heavensward story, but I don't know if it's because I managed to go through it all in one go instead of waiting for content patches, me being a Dragoon thus making the whole story feel a lot more personal to me, or a combination thereof.

EDIT: I can wait for AF3 to be dyeable but why doesn't it have a working visor like all of the other Dragoon helmets :negative:

Bolow fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 22, 2017

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bolow posted:

Is it just me or is Hien kind of an enormous piece of poo poo? The dude basically co-opts the Xeala's Nadaam thing, and more or less manipulates the weakest tribe to use their own people to fight his war. I mean he's probably not deliberately manipulating them but he's still taking advantage of a group that doesn't have the heart to refuse him

Keep in mind that this was something the Mol wanted, because a) they had to participate no matter what and would have lost without him, and b) their weird future sense told them it was a good idea. Hien needed the help and they knew how to get it for him; and even beyond that, opening up favorable relations between the Steppe tribes and Doma is a good move for everyone, because it allows them to support each other moving forward. Who's to say whether the relationship lasts very long, of course, but it's good for now.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Re: the emperor/empire, given how much this game liked to borrow from FF VI, I expect some sort of truce and agreement to treat Ala Mhigo as a neutral country of sorts. This will promptly be followed by both sides trying to interfere in the nearly inevitable civil war to follow. Fordola breaking out of jail and kicking the Emperor off of a floating continent is optional.

Alternately, they borrow another FF VI element and :gas: Doma (there's a level 61 quest line about some bioweapons they developed), but I still doubt they go that derivative, plus it would rightly piss a lot of players off.

I do agree with you on Heavensward though. Stormblood suffered a bit from being split between two largely separate areas, casts, and plots, and Zenos isn't as good a villain as Nidhogg was. Plus, the narrative power creep is insane unless you buy into the WoL is a primal theory, then it makes perfect sense.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They already razed Doma once, its Ala Mhigo's turn now

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

:sigh:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Don't kick moms dude. MMO rule #1

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Potato Jones posted:

To further examine the carb-on-carb concept, this is probably not just a loaf of bread, but honey toast. They hollow out a hunk of bread, cube the breadguts, toast them, add sugar and return them to the crust. Top it with ice cream or fruit or whatever and generously drizzle honey for a sweet and absurd {Demon Brick}.

this is correct, as the cafe was on the floor above a restaurant called the Honey Toast Cafe, but also it was cubed

im gonna be at tokyo game show and trying to participate in the feast so if i see any cool things abour ff14 ill post em

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Don't kick moms dude. MMO rule #1

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Well, we have the answer to the question "Is Haquer a dick" now :v:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

You MONSTER

All moms are welcome in DGKK! We loves moms!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol, owned that person's mom.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The dark and gritty Western take on Dad of Light.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bolow posted:

The emperor seems much more rational than I initially expected him to be at the end, but I don't see how Ala Mhigo and Doma rebelling as they did doesn't automatically lead to them bringing the full weight of the Empire down upon everyone's heads. I'm guess by the time that happens they'll have an entire legion of those Resonant for everyone to contend with as well

I suspect that the story of 4.x is going to reveal that the Garlean Empire is not nearly as healthy as it lets on, especially since their crown prince and WoL-equivalent basically suicided out of boredom.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

I suspect that the story of 4.x is going to reveal that the Garlean Empire is not nearly as healthy as it lets on, especially since their crown prince and WoL-equivalent basically suicided out of boredom.

Seeing as the Emperor only just become the Emperor recently, it wouldn't surprise me if he's busy quashing threats to his powerbase, after all, he wasn't the original successor, and now that his heir is dead, more enemies will be popping out of the woodwork. It would explain why the empire doesn't give a poo poo about Doma and Ala Mhigo right now, because they are too busy dealing with internal issues

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Good god The Lochs loving suck without flying

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bolow posted:

I vastly preferred Heavensward story, but I don't know if it's because I managed to go through it all in one go instead of waiting for content patches, me being a Dragoon thus making the whole story feel a lot more personal to me, or a combination thereof.

It's a little unfair to compare Stormblood to Heavensward plus at least 3 patches, but base HW is still drastically better than SB was on nearly all fronts related to plot. Not just plot but also world building and lore as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

It's a little unfair to compare Stormblood to Heavensward plus at least 3 patches, but base HW is still drastically better than SB was on nearly all fronts related to plot. Not just plot but also world building and lore as well.

I've chewed on it a lot, and I think the ultimate problem is with how the story's divided up. Heavensward's story has its arc broken up into three main chunks: forming the party and ascending to the Churning Mists; finding a way to defeat Nidhogg; and then the ramifications after. In Stormblood, Ala Mhigo's set up with the barest minimum of exposition, and you're sent off to Othard so fast it sets your hat spinning. The whole Doma bit takes up an absolutely huge amount of the story and leveling experience, to the point where Ala Mhigo almost feels vestigial. The whole business at the Sun Throne should've been chopped down to a cutscene or two, and I almost feel like Lakshmi should've been cut from the story and debuted at a later date in order to give more room for the main Ala Mhigo scenario to breath. Put in another Ala Mhigan town in its place and show that Lyse has the chops to be a leader in some way: she organizes the defenses or rallies everyone heroically, in stark contrast to the start of the story in Ala Ghana.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
another advantage of asian-style breads--the tangzhong method seems to grant them some resistance to staling. this loaf has been sitting above my fridge for a week, at which point any normal bread would be breadcrumb material at best, and this slice of toast i'm eating right now is still pretty drat good. i grew up in an asian household so it wasn't until college that i realized how quickly most breads went stale.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yes, i'm eating toast for dinner, i hosed up with groceries this week, my life isn't normally this sad i swear

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

What's a good weapon for this? Note: I am only level 60 and in 3.1 MSQ

Also..maaaaybe better boots?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

I've chewed on it a lot, and I think the ultimate problem is with how the story's divided up. Heavensward's story has its arc broken up into three main chunks: forming the party and ascending to the Churning Mists; finding a way to defeat Nidhogg; and then the ramifications after. In Stormblood, Ala Mhigo's set up with the barest minimum of exposition, and you're sent off to Othard so fast it sets your hat spinning. The whole Doma bit takes up an absolutely huge amount of the story and leveling experience, to the point where Ala Mhigo almost feels vestigial. The whole business at the Sun Throne should've been chopped down to a cutscene or two, and I almost feel like Lakshmi should've been cut from the story and debuted at a later date in order to give more room for the main Ala Mhigo scenario to breath. Put in another Ala Mhigan town in its place and show that Lyse has the chops to be a leader in some way: she organizes the defenses or rallies everyone heroically, in stark contrast to the start of the story in Ala Ghana.

I agree that the split nature of the story is a significant part of it's downfall. We would have been better off if this expansion focused entirely on Doma or Ala Mihgo. Or at least, saved the return to Ala Mihgo to use as patch content. But they probably wouldn't be able to kick out whole new zones as part of a patch so I get why they didn't do that.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Reiterpallasch posted:

yes, i'm eating toast for dinner, i hosed up with groceries this week, my life isn't normally this sad i swear

Pfft, you wouldn't need to be ashamed if it was. This is the Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood thread you're talking to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

I agree that the split nature of the story is a significant part of it's downfall. We would have been better off if this expansion focused entirely on Doma or Ala Mihgo. Or at least, saved the return to Ala Mihgo to use as patch content. But they probably wouldn't be able to kick out whole new zones as part of a patch so I get why they didn't do that.

I don't think having a story split between two geographically/culturally separate locales is inherently bad, but it takes a lot of skill to balance the two. What I think the story should have had was:
  • More time spent at the start in Ala Mhigo to credibly establish how difficult taking it back is going to be.
  • Include a B plot that takes place back in Ala Mhigo during the Othard section via cutscenes. Maybe Fordola's getting up to something, or M'Naago is stumbling onto some big-time secret, or Raubahn is getting frustrated at his inability to crack the Garlean defenses. All you really have to do is remind the player that the country exists and there's still a war going on.
  • Cut the cruft in Othard and condense the story so that there's more time for the lead up to Ala Mhigo proper and the final boss.
In general, it smells to me like a case of the development team being enamored with Othard and giving it a huge amount of focus and polish and then running out of development time for the latter half of Ala Mhigo. It's not a terrible story, but the third half of Heavensward holds up better under scrutiny compared to Stormblood.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

You could have just said you wanted toast for dinner. There's no shame in that. Sometimes you just want some goddamn toast right now.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Zaekkor posted:

I guess it depends on what aesthetic you're going for? I've been using...

the Augmented Hailstorm Rapier (hilt dyed gold) since Level 60; you get it from the level 60 RDM quest and can improve it in Idyllshire to unlock dyeing. That's just because I really like the magic crystal look that it has, though, and even I'll admit it doesn't necessarily go great with an all-red outfit. I think some of the mid-level vendor ones look decent if you're going for something a bit more normal-looking, and most weapons look really nice with metallic dyes if you have :10bux: to spend on the MB.

Also, if you want high boots that fit nicely, the Expeditioner's Thighboots on the market board are a nice slim fit, they might be what you're looking for. You get a really beautiful pair of boots at level 70, but that doesn't help you look stylish right now, does it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

God damnit. Do I try to rush through Final Fantasy Tactics before this patch comes out? I love FFXIV but every raid is a reference to a game I never played.

Nop

Quit FFXIV for a bit and take your time to savour Final Fantasy Tactics as it's a better game than this one.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nop

Quit FFXIV for a bit and take your time to savour Final Fantasy Tactics as it's a better game than this one.

It's definitely a great idea. Feel free to PM me for advice, or just ask the general FF thread.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

It's ok friend. I went to bed for dinner last night

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't feel partically better playing the PS1 game over War of the Lions :(

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zaekkor posted:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Zaekkor posted:

Sabotender rapier.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Vermain posted:

I just finished MSQ this week. I definitely felt the hat spin. I say this as someone who pushed through HW in one big bite (signed up at SB release), I felt that HW was the stronger story and one that I felt more involved with. I was happy to see Estinien again.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
A big problem is that the SB characters are weak. Lyse is a blue-eyed idealist who gets everything handed to her who (so far) gets no character development beyond "people die when they are killed". People like Hien a lot but he's not much better, he plays super humble with his own people but at the same time, again, gets everything handed to him. At least he has to compromise a little bit so it's not as bad as Lyse, but it's not much better. Then you get an utterly bland character like Yugiri who's basically just less important Lyse and who could've had their role filled by one of the other characters if it wasn't the token asia expansion and all the asia characters have to be front and center.

The party itself is also weak, because it's basically just a bunch of shallow characters that agree on everything. There's no back and forth in the vein of Ysayle and Estinien, there's no tension of what are people going to do when we reach the destination. I think they should've kept Omega a bigger part of the MSQ and made Nero a part of the active party. Hell, none of the party even seem to want to de-escalate the situation to keep Eorzea from open war with the Empire. That would've made a great foil for Lyse who wants to think her hands clean but at the same time is all-in taking advantage of Ilberd's plot to force Eorzea to liberate Ala Mhigo.

Finally considering how big a deal trying to liberate a country from a far superior force is, they way poo poo just works out is really juvenile. Hopefully in the patches to come there's a big emphasis on an imperial counter attack, with lots of ground lost.

edit: wasn't sure if some of this poo poo still counts as a spoiler so I just spoilered the whole thing :effort:

Hra Mormo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 22, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I liked the Stormblood story more than the Heavensward story. v:shobon:v

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Hra Mormo posted:

Hell, none of the party even seem to want to de-escalate the situation to keep Eorzea from open war with the Empire. That would've made a great foil for Lyse

there kind of was this until he was unceremoniously iced a few hours into the plot

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mordiceius posted:

I liked the Stormblood story more than the Heavensward story. v:shobon:v

Me too. A lot of people like the road trip part of HW, but I thought it dragged on. Good first and third act though.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

Finally considering how big a deal trying to liberate a country from a far superior force is, they way poo poo just works out is really juvenile. Hopefully in the patches to come there's a big emphasis on an imperial counter attack, with lots of ground lost.

I suspect the empire will launch the counter attack on Doma, and we'll see Ala Mhigo descend into a rather nasty civil war because Lyse will discover that while passion, idealism and fighting skills will help liberate your nation, they are going to do gently caress all when the population decides that now is the time to work out some old grievances and resume the original conflict that the empire interrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wacky Delly posted:

Me too. A lot of people like the road trip part of HW, but I thought it dragged on. Good first and third act though.

A lot of the Othard part of SB dragged on too, but with less interesting character interactions. Alisae can't carry that cast by herself.