Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

thank god you're here to glance at ciphers for 30 seconds and declare them backdoor free

That's not what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hackbunny posted:

and aes rounds are now cpu instructions. so?

So you were asking why there were two new ciphers being proposed. Apparently that was their reasoning.. As far as asking if we actually _need_ to replace AES, that's a valid question.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is it dumb for a big-ish company handling sensitive information to have company wifi secured with WEP in tyool 2017?
I'm not acomputer toucher at all, but I heard that WEP is basically a joke, in security terms.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Should take about 15 minutes to break, tops, with minimal googling and a Linux install

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

communism bitch posted:

Is it dumb for a big-ish company handling sensitive information to have company wifi secured with WEP in tyool 2017?
I'm not acomputer toucher at all, but I heard that WEP is basically a joke, in security terms.
it was dumb in 2007 so yes

more ccleaner info, looks like talos and avast are trying to have a competition on detailing the c2 server: https://blog.avast.com/avast-threat-labs-analysis-of-ccleaner-incident

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I know this is a vague follow-up but if somebody hreaks into the wifi what's the reasonable worst they could do? Cause if it's just boosting free wifi i don't think anybody would care.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i guess it depends on if they dmz stuff or not

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

communism bitch posted:

I know this is a vague follow-up but if somebody hreaks into the wifi what's the reasonable worst they could do? Cause if it's just boosting free wifi i don't think anybody would care.

Can your company computer, when connected to the wifi, access any internal company services?

If so, what authentication do those services use?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/experian-site-can-give-anyone-your-credit-freeze-pin/

im ded

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I took a cursory glance at those ciphers and it's not immediately obvious to me where that backdoor could reside.
Yeah no poo poo sherlock

communism bitch posted:

It's trivial to break into. Like, plug an appliance anywhere with coverage and start sucking interesting traffic within minutes trivial.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 22, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
aircrack-ng will let you log into wep networks in like 10 seconds these days, it's literally the same as open

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah no poo poo sherlock

You say that but with dual_ec it was pretty clear from the outset where they could have implemented the secret parameters to backdoor the rng. With these algorithms it would suggest some new cryptanalysis method to attack these ciphers.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Did anyone here implement the malicious hsdir thing for tor hidden service discovery? I'd appreciate any info you might have, does it still work etc?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truga posted:

aircrack-ng will let you log into wep networks in like 10 seconds these days, it's literally the same as open

i miss being able to crack networks with aircrack because it would display a bunch of cool changing numbers as it did it and was very "what hacking should look like according to TV" :sigh:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vOv posted:

had to look this one up, glad i did

just finished an undergrad bio course not long ago; i'd signed up for it as an easy a because i like to think i'm good at biology, but the TA ended up to be some seriously scholarly postgrad who wanted me to work to my full potential or something

so yeah all that poo poo's burned into my skull now and i'm probably half of sci-hub's english search terms in 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it was dumb in 2007 so yes

more ccleaner info, looks like talos and avast are trying to have a competition on detailing the c2 server: https://blog.avast.com/avast-threat-labs-analysis-of-ccleaner-incident
after having time to read this more thoroughly there's some pretty good engineering involved, it's very clear that the (at least) 3 stage payload is providing an effective barrier to analysis. stage 1's c2 going public let them know it and the stage 2 payload were compromised, giving time to lockdown stage 2's c2. even if they get the address for stage 2's c2 at this point they're unlikely to get anything of value, only real hope is a machine with a stage 3 payload was isolated and imaged before a self-destruct went off, but with them grabbing the guid per-machine payloads are pretty likely at that end so there's just the known listed of affected machines to work with atm

nothing innovative in the design or infrastructure, but it's a good look at how seasoned attackers are handling this at the c2 level practically and not from an optimistic design document. plenty of mistakes there as well that had effective mitigations

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

CCleaner advanced persistent threat (APT)

yay i called it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also am i misremembering or did "advanced persistent threat" used to mean "a state-level actor with tons of resources and the ability to attack around the clock in a lot of fancy ways" rather than "a thing that uses two or more steps"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

also am i misremembering or did "advanced persistent threat" used to mean "a state-level actor with tons of resources and the ability to attack around the clock in a lot of fancy ways" rather than "a thing that uses two or more steps"
generally advanced persistent threat is used by marketing to mean "attacker we don't understand with a lot of patience, time, resources and organisation", it does have some use in distinguishing active groups that run long-term campaigns but that's not really valuable to the public domain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

generally advanced persistent threat is used by marketing to mean "attacker we don't understand with a lot of patience, time, resources and organisation", it does have some use in distinguishing active groups that run long-term campaigns but that's not really valuable to the public domain

yeah i realize it's always been a worthless marketing term, but i distinctly remember it used to refer to like, the actor themselves rather than the attack

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't remember this being posted, but it's so good and you guys should watch it.
This guy is insanely good at what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ

Edit*

Enjoy this really cool thing he made as well:
https://github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Apt use to mean low and slow attacker. The logica breach is a good example of someone who was advanced (knew more about the infrastructure than the people running it) and persistent (he was kicked out multiple times and kept coming back and getting in and took his time).

Then marketing people found out about the term and now it means "an attack" because the term is so watered down. Also it helped give CSOs an out cause you can't stop someone who's advanced AND persistent!

If anyone is interested the derby streams are up:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=derbyconstreams

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apt is like a "we didnt know" on cso speech bingo card now

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Is MacKeeper now an actual company? I could've swore 5 years ago they were bloatware crap that always side installed itself with things from sourceforge.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

b0red posted:

Is MacKeeper now an actual company? I could've swore 5 years ago they were bloatware crap that always side installed itself with things from sourceforge.

afaik they're a bloatware company that employs a bunch of security professionals to give their crap a veneer of respectability.

their security professionals are actually pretty good.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Apt use to mean low and slow attacker. The logica breach is a good example of someone who was advanced (knew more about the infrastructure than the people running it) and persistent (he was kicked out multiple times and kept coming back and getting in and took his time).

let's be completely clear

"APT" used to mean china or russia

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

let's be completely clear

"APT" used to mean china or russia

It implied state actor (cia, mossad, >emotion < bear, whatever we call the Chinese team) but only because they can train people and they have the time and patience.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

afaik they're a bloatware company that employs a bunch of security professionals to give their crap a veneer of respectability.

their security professionals are actually pretty good.

makes sense. actually a pretty solid plan to get your companies name out of the mud. or ya know, make a decent product.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i've just come to the stark, terrifying realization that the contractor our customer hired and that we're working with, that's supposed to be setting up thousands of networked cash register systems, doesn't know what an SSL server certificate is. they wanted to send it to me so i could "install it in the app," and when I told them very politely that that's not how that works, they asked for a writeup on how to install an SSL certificate

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

i've just come to the stark, terrifying realization that the contractor our customer hired and that we're working with, that's supposed to be setting up thousands of networked cash register systems, doesn't know what an SSL server certificate is. they wanted to send it to me so i could "install it in the app," and when I told them very politely that that's not how that works, they asked for a writeup on how to install an SSL certificate

they might be thinking of a client cert which does need to be present on and configured with each client, or a server cert that has to be pre-loaded on each client because it's not verifiable against root certs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they might be thinking of a client cert which does need to be present on and configured with each client, or a server cert that has to be pre-loaded on each client because it's not verifiable against root certs

they don't know what either of those things are, and they only know about this certificate because of my previous "what is an SSL certificate and why do you need one" writeup two weeks ago which i thought was more for them to use to convince the purchasing department but it turns out i guess they just didn't know what they are :psyduck:

e: actually thinking about it in my writeup i explained all this and they said it was "very informative" so i don't know what the hell is going on

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 22, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
having worked with point of sale vendors i can assure you they know sweet gently caress all about security

the fact that there aren’t more high profile breaches of retail chains like target is purely because of the laziness of criminals

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the mistake was putting "advanced" in something that meant something, of course marketing people wet themselves at the prospects of using the term everywhere

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

having worked with point of sale vendors i can assure you they know sweet gently caress all about security

the fact that there aren’t more high profile breaches of retail chains like target is purely because of the laziness of criminals

in fairness this is the first time they've actually had to set up this kind of server (previously they just followed a list of instructions to set up the PoS software and its separate server, as far as I can tell) so it's a bit understandable that they wouldn't know server-y things.

in unfairness these machines handle lots of money maybe you should hire someone who knows this stuff

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why would anyone who knows stuff want to do that job?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this was a good talk but that dood looks like cypher from the matrix

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

thebigcow posted:

Why would anyone who knows stuff want to do that job?

the cloud pos companies like shopify know better

cloud pos companies killing the mom and pop pos companies with a dozen clients is awesome

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

the thing about the target hack is target had the tools in place to detect it, detected it, and then ignored it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

yoloer420 posted:

Did anyone here implement the malicious hsdir thing for tor hidden service discovery? I'd appreciate any info you might have, does it still work etc?

read this https://donncha.is/2013/05/trawling-tor-hidden-services/

it still works in the current stable version of tor

prop224 fixes the problem and initial support for this is included in 0.3.2.1-alpha, released earlier this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ratbert90 posted:

I don't remember this being posted, but it's so good and you guys should watch it.
This guy is insanely good at what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ

Edit*

Enjoy this really cool thing he made as well:
https://github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter

so does that 66 jmp instruction pretty much exist as a sandbox escape in all intel 64 bit hardware? if it can fool an emulated vm that easily then i cant see it being caught by sandboxes unless they start flagging any software with that opcode as potentially malicious.

or maybe im just overthinking this and you are all going to correct me

• Locked thread