Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Do the AI ever forfeit? An AI empire with around 8 systems was defeated in a single turn somehow (presumably by some other AI empire). Everything about them vanished from the game, every system and every pop just gone...

e: Talking about ES2, here is the population chart on the score screen:

That AI empire just collapsed?

Xik fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I was very curious about disappearing empires, too. In my first successful game, the Horatio disappeared while still holding several systems as I beat down their doors, while the goddamn religious space jerks just refused to die until I rooted them out of what seemed like every orphan system in the game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I really wish ES would do the full game recap sort of thing, let you watch over time as empires colonize planets and then invade each other and so on. I always enjoyed that recap map on old civ games.

Generic Octopus posted:

They basically are, the science cost to research the victory techs are huge compared to everything else.

I mean, they sort of are, but my point is that since they're on the same tier, you're making a choice between investing in them and investing in something else on that tier. If the science win researches were all on tier 6, and you had to put X amount of research into tier 5 stuff before they became accessible, then you would have an actual reason to use some of those tier 5 techs. As it stands, researching any tier 5 tech means you're making a decision between empire improvement and winning the game. That's a weird choice to put in your game.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Flipswitch posted:

Just downloaded the EL artbook and it's fantastic, thinking of taking it to a printers and getting a book copy made, because gently caress reading PDFs.
Oh wow, I hadn't seen this before. That looks lovely. It also contains information about the factions and everything?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean, they sort of are, but my point is that since they're on the same tier, you're making a choice between investing in them and investing in something else on that tier. If the science win researches were all on tier 6, and you had to put X amount of research into tier 5 stuff before they became accessible, then you would have an actual reason to use some of those tier 5 techs. As it stands, researching any tier 5 tech means you're making a decision between empire improvement and winning the game. That's a weird choice to put in your game.

By the time you've completed the research necessary to win the Science victory, you (or someone else) probably could have (or has) won via another victory condition, meaning instead of wasting turns on the "winning" techs, you could be putting that towards tech that's actually useful til you meet another win condition. Winning via Science right now is pretty slow.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Baron von der Loon posted:

Oh wow, I hadn't seen this before. That looks lovely. It also contains information about the factions and everything?
Yup, a bunch of different concept designs and fluff blurbs. I'll take some pictures once I get it printed!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Generic Octopus posted:

By the time you've completed the research necessary to win the Science victory, you (or someone else) probably could have (or has) won via another victory condition, meaning instead of wasting turns on the "winning" techs, you could be putting that towards tech that's actually useful til you meet another win condition. Winning via Science right now is pretty slow.

Well yeah, I agree, the whole thing needs to be rebalanced. But part of that rebalance, I'd argue, should be moving the winning techs to their own tier, adjusting the costs to make sense, and possibly also shaving a tiny percent off of everything else in the whole tech tree to make going from turn one to a science victory take about as long as any of the other victory conditions. Or just remove the idea of a science win entirely, since there are few scenarios where you're going to have the economy to support a science win that couldn't just pump out a monument win dozens of turns earlier. I guess maybe if you got really screwed on strategic resource placement?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

At least those top tier science techs now give nice benefits, in es1 all they did was reduce the cost of the actual "win the game" tech.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well random ai spawns me necrophages two regions to my south and I'm playing roving clans. Gg?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Go take a walk Northwards?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

Go take a walk Northwards?
I'm at the very top of the map. :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Flipswitch posted:

Well random ai spawns me necrophages two regions to my south and I'm playing roving clans. Gg?

Tech for exorbitant amounts of money and try to send a 4 strength army of silic privateers at their non-capital city asap?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah personally I'd just send the Necrophages occasional presents of luxuries to keep them relatively benign until I found a good spot to evacuate my capital to. The bugs don't understand the value of a good partnership.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I ended up redoing as Broken Lords and got the Necrophages again but three regions north this time.

I've just kicked them back into one city and whenever they venture out I stomp em. It's all desert area too so they're starving for food (unless the ai cheats) and I'm rolling in dust.

I want an endless legend board game so much

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone missed it, ES2 got a patch on Steam:

quote:

[1.0.54] Patch Notes

[FIXES]
Fixed an issue where weapons did not shoot in few cases, notably missiles
Fixed an issue where some ships didn't display animations anymore
Fixed the display of flak particles when squadrons are getting shot at
Fixed a case where saving caused errors. An error message is now displayed with details in case this happens
Fixed infinite turn on outpost actions in a very rare case

[AI]
Fixed an issue where the AI was not answering battle in some specific conditions
Fixed an issue on Cravers quest mission "Of Our Own Brood - Part 1" where the fleet spawned wouldn't move, preventing completion

Also, this issue I mentioned in a previous post:

Xik posted:

Do the AI ever forfeit? An AI empire with around 8 systems was defeated in a single turn somehow (presumably by some other AI empire). Everything about them vanished from the game, every system and every pop just gone...

e: Talking about ES2, here is the population chart on the score screen:

That AI empire just collapsed?

Appears to be acknowledged and they've noted that they are working on it:

quote:

NOTE: The fix for empires suddenly crumbling through major bailiff issues is still undergoing testing, and will be available in an upcoming update.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hope they get around to wringing some of the stupid out of the ES2 AI some time soon. I had an AI refuse a peace diplomacy offer and then immediately offer me the same deal back, in the same turn. :psyduck:

Also, it's mostly just a polish issue, but I don't like the way the voice dialogue always implies you're the one refusing a deal whenever the AI is actually the one doing it. Looking and sounding good is usually the one place you can always rely on this studio to excel, so that failure kind of sticks out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BobTheJanitor posted:

Hope they get around to wringing some of the stupid out of the ES2 AI some time soon. I had an AI refuse a peace diplomacy offer and then immediately offer me the same deal back, in the same turn. :psyduck:

Maybe they dismissed the notification by accident instead of opening it, we all do it why not AI :v:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah... How the AI calculates whether it will accept a deal or not seems to be completely puzzling. If an AI offers you a peace deal with X amount of dust, then counter offer or minimize and go to the diplomacy screen and input the exact same deal, they will seemingly refuse every time.

I've literally never been able to negotiate, it's seems to be a "take it or leave it" on their offers. Sometimes it's insulting amounts of dust, so I'm just like, "gently caress it, I'll just burn your empire to the ground then"...

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The game one-upped that last night. I had the Cravers declare war on my alliance and then before I had even clicked that message off the screen they had offered a truce along with like 40k dust and some manpower. I uhh... what?

Ended up winning by accident shortly after that when I colonized one more planet I had vined up and it turned out that was the last one needed for a domination victory. :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Endless Legend Classic Edition is currently in the Humble RPG Bundle for Beat the Average.

Classic just is the base game and the soundtrack.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I can definitely buy Endless Legend on Steam still, but the Humble Bundle lists it as "unavailable in my region". There are two equally hilarious possible reasons for this:

1) Since Endless Legend is published by Sega now, and Sega is an assbrick about Taiwan most of the time, Humble Bundle just blanket assumes that Endless Legend is unavailable here.

2) Sega can't make Endless Legend unavailable here on steam, where it was already available and already purchased by people like me, but can do so for all future iterations of places selling EL.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Looks like they are being super dicks about it and the keys they gave humble are region locked. Really not cool, not sure they would have done this pre-Sega.

Checks your PM's though. :)

e: Oh, I'm an idiot, you've already got it. I was wondering why your AV was so familiar (probably the old EL thread.....)

Xik fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 11, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Xik posted:

Looks like they are being super dicks about it and the keys they gave humble are region locked. Really not cool, not sure they would have done this pre-Sega.

Checks your PM's though. :)

e: Oh, I'm an idiot, you've already got it. I was wondering why your AV was so familiar (probably the old EL thread.....)

Yeah thanks for the effort, dude. I even have all the DLC :-P. I was going to recommend some friends hop on the bundle, but obviously not now. At least they listed TW and CN as separate. Small victories.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Deleter posted:

Okay, I found it. I'll paraphrase what I've got since I don't know if anyone wants to read my rambling bullshit.

So this is entirely dependent on if/how the game implements migration in any way, but the Sowers Affinity would be that every time they complete a building on a star system or terraform a planet, that star system becomes Attractive, which will lure non-native populations to travel to your worlds. The timing of the buff can be reset and kept perpetually up if you get enough industry, and the strength of that buff can be increased through techs. There might also be some options for kicking out unwanted populations.

A Sower population never grows, provides food if no improvements are in the build queue, and provides industry when something is. There can only ever be one per system, and building a colony ship spawns a new Sower pop instead of consuming the pop. This is essentially a planet-bound Vodyani Ark. Sower pops are ecologists primarily, with some religious and industrialist leanings.

Starting party is, of course, Ecologists.

A Sower turning up is a galactic event. It lands in a system and begins to convert it to a paradise for the Endless. It doesn't communicate, and it doesn't seem to care if people move in. It just works and works and works. The Empire's dispossed and political enemies flee to these planets to seek a new life and encounter a wonder-land of dust-powered post-scarcity bordering on sheer magic. When the enforcers turn up to extradite these traitors, the Sower blossoms into a host of ships like dandelion seeds, obliterates the incoming danger, and reforms to continue the work.

I imagine they'll have some kind of immigration-to-attractive-worlds system eventually; it'd fit perfectly with a lot of their current systems.
But yeah, the idea of a faction of paradise worlds inhabited by those fleeing from war and tyranny is too good to pass up-- although this being an Endless game, the devs would probably add some odd quirk or other, as they don't seem to like unambiguously Good factions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I had a very similar idea for the Sowers, where they had no population at all (since they're essentially sentient infrastructure). Other pops could settle on their worlds (from quests and assimilated minor factions, etc), but they'd get a much larger fraction of their FIDSI from their buildings than other factions.

Incidentally, migration is already sort of simulated through population growth. It's possible to grow in a population that doesn't currently have any on that planet (usually your primary species), and that represents migration. Losing population also represents emigration, which is why it shows a picture of a spaceport instead of a starving person. It would definitely make sense for the Sowers to have large bonuses to immigration somehow though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Interesting. When a pop "leaves," do they actually reappear on some other planet, or is that pop just gone (presumably scattered among many other planets)?

I've just tried (and failed) my first Riftborn game. I like having fast ships, a big collection of different species and lots of influence to throw around which, as it turns out, is not a great fit for the Riftborn....

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

I've just tried (and failed) my first Riftborn game. I like having fast ships, a big collection of different species and lots of influence to throw around which, as it turns out, is not a great fit for the Riftborn....

Play Empire or Sophons

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Interesting. When a pop "leaves," do they actually reappear on some other planet, or is that pop just gone (presumably scattered among many other planets)?

They can migrate, represented by a civilian shuttle making its way to the destination planet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Cease to Hope posted:

Play Empire or Sophons

Trees also get a lot of benefits from multiple races

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What determines which big parties the smaller political parties will support?

Since Empire citizens give an equal amount of support to industrialists during a science event, is it ever possible for scientists to gain power?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

If you assimilate more non-Empire citizens you might be able to.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
In addition to getting lots of non-UE citizens you can either: convert your UE citizens to Mezari, who support science, by advancing your faction quest far enough or use the most expensive election action to support the scientist party. If it works anything like the republic version of that action, which costs Dust instead of influence, 10% support is all you need to win the election. You could also convert your government to a dictatorship and just choose to make the scientists your leading party, but that's not a good idea if your goal is to win the game.

Edit: I realized right after posting this that that the answer to which party gets the losing parties' support is probably in the XML. It looks like the losers divide their support among the two (or three in the case of democracy) parties with the most representatives according to a list. Each party has an opposed party, a left party, a right party and two others. I'm not sure whether right or left is the higher priority, but assuming that it's right: a losing party will support its right party if that party is one of the winners, then its left party, then divide its support among the other two (supporting one only one of the two if only that one was one of the winning parties). A party will never support its opposed party.

This might not be exactly what happens, since it's all conjecture based on the XML and my in-game experience, but it's probably close to the process used. If you want to see which parties are left and right of each other, you can check out Public/Simulation/PoliticsDefinitions.xml in your game folder. The opposed parties are the natural Militarist/Pacifist, Industrialist/Ecologist, Scientist/Religious pairings.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 19, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You don't have to go to an cml, there is a screen that does it. It's in the population section, where you find out the benefits of 5/10/20/50 pop for a species. A graph there shows what the pop type supports in general and has icons that list where the votes go for each party when the party loses

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

HundredBears posted:

convert your UE citizens to Mezari,

huh-wut?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The UE plotline lets you swap your faction focus later on.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

To o bad I'm in the UE plotline where I need three Scientist laws, which is apparently impossible.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Switch your government to Democracy (you need Xeno-Anthropology), you'll get another policy slot. For the UE that's generally more useful since you always have piles of influence. Getting the scientists into power is pretty much impossible in the UE but getting them on a three party senate is not an impossible task.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Switch your government to Democracy (you need Xeno-Anthropology), you'll get another policy slot. For the UE that's generally more useful since you always have piles of influence.

I'll never win a scientist election though.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
You only need to come in third to get a slot in a Democracy. Build scouts and science improvements and it's doable (as long as you're not at war).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
He does need to win an election, otherwise he'll have to wait forever to get the political experience to have three scientist laws to run. It'll be much easier just unlock the one- and two-influence/population scientist laws, plus the mandatory scientist law from having it as the leading party. The solution is the other option that I mentioned, election actions. The "Intimidate Citizens" election action takes a fair amount of influence (it's wise to check the cost on the senate screen well in advance of the election to save up enough, also note that getting more colonies will increase the cost) but is very effective. If the scientist party has never been the second party in power, it will likely take two elections to unlock all the necessary laws; if it has been in power, one could be enough. Switching government to a republic and using the "Strong-arm Lobbying" action is also an option. This course has the advantage of making it possible to hold two elections in a row (one after the five turns of anarchy from switching governments, then another at the next turn divisible by twenty) and of switching to the strongest type of government, but does take a substantial amount of dust.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 20, 2017