Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

If you just ignore the smoke and mirrors, they can actually be pretty fun.

They took out the puzzles from adventure games and replaced them with QTEs. Sure, some of them have really good writing, but they're objectively worse as games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Listen, I ain't sayin' I wouldn't prefer a good ol' pointy click. I'm just sayin' sometimes it's fun to just sit back and occasionally press buttons.

Basically, Strong Bad season 2 when?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What they need is to develop their own IPs so they can actually make the choices matter and not be tied to someone else's continuity

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

What they need is to develop their own IPs so they can actually make the choices matter and not be tied to someone else's continuity

They had free rein for the Walking Dead sequels (short of deciding to cure the zombie plague) and those are the worst offenders of lack of choice.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

They had free rein for the Walking Dead sequels (short of deciding to cure the zombie plague) and those are the worst offenders of lack of choice.

Was this actually specified, or are you assuming that Kirkman would have poo poo his pants if they tried? I mean he probably would

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Was this actually specified, or are you assuming that Kirkman would have poo poo his pants if they tried? I mean he probably would

I'm just saying that they were told to do whatever as long as it didn't directly contradict the comics. Since the games largely use characters and locations the comics don't cover, that gives them a lot of leeway.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying that they were told to do whatever as long as it didn't directly contradict the comics.

Oh, so that's why the games are bad, then. Being good would violate that. :smuggo:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

They used to, but the lovely Choices Matter interactive movies sell about 300 times better.

Oh, I know. I am a huge Sam & Max fan and loved the telltale series of games. I am so sad they never make games like that anymore. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Retro Futurist posted:

Making choices matter require creating a lot of content to handle all the branching paths. There's a reason games that sell themselves on the range of choices still end up railroading the player for the most part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

Oh, I know. I am a huge Sam & Max fan and loved the telltale series of games. I am so sad they never make games like that anymore. :(

Let me tell you, buying the Jurassic Park game expecting a fun point and click adventure featuring characters from the movie or book and instead getting a riveting series of QTEs starring Some Assholes was among the most disappointing experiences in my entire life.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Let me tell you, buying the Jurassic Park game expecting a fun point and click adventure featuring characters from the movie or book and instead getting a riveting series of QTEs starring Some Assholes was among the most disappointing experiences in my entire life.

With no exageration, same. Seriously, I've never been so dissapointed in a game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interestingly, I wonder if they'd have gotten the same venom if they'd released Jurassic Park AFTER TWD season 1.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Gaz-L posted:

Interestingly, I wonder if they'd have gotten the same venom if they'd released Jurassic Park AFTER TWD season 1.

They did release it after.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

They did release it after.

No.

Jurassic Park The Game Wikipedia Page posted:

Release
November 15, 2011

The Walking Dead Season One Wikipedia Page posted:

Episode 1
April 24, 2012

The Jurassic Park game might not have been received so poorly if people knew ahead of time it wasn't going to be a real adventure game, but it still would've been an incredibly boring and poorly-written game. It's easily the worst game Telltale's made, and I'm including those janky-rear end Bone games. I doubt it's a coincidence that the game was built episodically but released as a full game instead. They knew it'd have awful word of mouth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've always seen JP as the prototype for TWD and thus, their current style. It's so different than even their BTTF game which came out around the same time, and has a lot of similar elements to TWD S1.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Oh. Huh. Well. Could have sworn. My mistake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The lesson here is that most people really hate puzzles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a reason that if you take even 30 seconds to solve one in an Uncharted game, then Nate/Chloe will just start telling you the answer.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Gaz-L posted:

I've always seen JP as the prototype for TWD and thus, their current style. It's so different than even their BTTF game which came out around the same time, and has a lot of similar elements to TWD S1.

BTTF was a good game. I like it a lot more than their later stuff. Sam and Max still king.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, I liked BTTF a ton and it kind of fits into that Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis slot for me where I'll happily consider it canon. AJ Locascio's MJF impression is scary good at times as well. Like, he sounds more like Fox than Fox himself does at points.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Making choices matter require creating a lot of content to handle all the branching paths. There's a reason games that sell themselves on the range of choices still end up railroading the player for the most part.

This sentence basically sums up Until Dawn.

Although I admit the game does a good job of tricking people on their first playthrough, which I guess is what matters most.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Realistically? It's what ALL story-telling games do, even when a sandbox is theoretically provided. Let's say you're running a D&D campaign and have it in your head that the players will go to village A and meet the town elder who will give some exposition, but they decide to go to the brothel in town B. You'd likely just have the madam give the same info as the elder and boom, you've railroaded the players, but because they'll never replay your module, they don't notice and have fun.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Every Telltale game has terrible writing, so I'm not sure exactly what the appeal is besides being part of [Insert Franchise].

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Waffleman_ posted:

Meanwhile, Combofiend gets to have his pet Spencer in the game because he says so.

I was watching cutscenes from the game the other day and all I could wonder was, how the hell did that guy make the cut? But really, the majority of the Capcom side is super dated, have they seriously not created any new characters since the last game came out? And why can't we get regular Mega Man in games anymore?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There haven't really been any big new IPs from Capcom since then, yeah.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JT Smiley posted:

I was watching cutscenes from the game the other day and all I could wonder was, how the hell did that guy make the cut? But really, the majority of the Capcom side is super dated, have they seriously not created any new characters since the last game came out? And why can't we get regular Mega Man in games anymore?

You could also say the same thing about the Marvel side. I think the "youngest" character there is from 1988.

Edit: I suppose Winter Soldier is arguable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JT Smiley posted:

There's a pretty big problem in games right now where the production cost of a big mainstream game has skyrocketed. As a result, a lot of big publishers, including Capcom, are leaning hard on whatever popular franchises they might have, because brand-new intellectual properties tend to be either DOA or not as successful as they would have to be to justify the investment. Most of the company's output for the last six years has been re-releases and sequels. They also went out of their way to put the most "iconic" looks for each character into MVC:I, which is why the game features RE5 Chris and DMC3 Dante.

Mega Man has a problem that, as far as anyone from outside the company can tell, has to do with internal politics. His creator left Capcom under acrimonious circumstances.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capcom also hasn't made a good successful game in a long time so they can't afford to do anything new. Like literally can't afford.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What about the Resident Evil game with the boat level

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the most recent successful franchise they have is Dead Rising. Is Frank West in that game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think the most recent successful franchise they have is Dead Rising. Is Frank West in that game?

The most successful franchises Capcom has are Monster Hunter, Street Fighter and Resident Evil. Even with SF and Re not performing as well as they'd have liked they still performed very very well. Dead Rising isn't even close.

The highest selling game they've ever released not with one of those franchises is DMC4, though after that is DR2 before you go back to the RE and SF bloat.

Edit:
Also RE7, according to Capcom's own numbers, is the 11th best-selling game they've ever had so...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You'll pry Ace Attorney from my cold dead hands.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No I mean like, that were recently created and became successful franchises. Street Fighter is 30 goddamn years old.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

No I mean like, that were recently created and became successful franchises. Street Fighter is 30 goddamn years old.

Asura's Wrath will always be a success in my heart. :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Dead Rising is a decade old now, I'm not even sure that qualifes as recently created.

Regardless in that case the answer would still be Monster Hunter, it's only two years older than DR. Their three best-seller 'recent' (as in PS2-era or early 360 era) franchises are MH, DMC and DR. After that it's all semi-forgotten stuff like Onimusha, Lost Planet and Dino Crisis.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 22, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They should put a Dragon's Dogma character in MvC. It should randomize the class every time you select it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lightning Lord posted:

They should put a Dragon's Dogma character in MvC. It should randomize the class every time you select it.

And the assist whoever they talked to most in the cinematics?

(I've not played much MvC nor played Dragon's Dogma)

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lightning Lord posted:

Nah, that'd be bad. I mean, fighting games are all about learning the character. A random element is just gonna frustrate players since the whole shitck is about learning the character. Being able to switch classes mid-fight would be awesome, though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zoro posted:

Nah, that'd be bad. I mean, fighting games are all about learning the character. A random element is just gonna frustrate players since the whole shitck is about learning the character.

I know. That's why I want it. :getin:

Also, bring back Doom. In fact, make every character Doom. :chaostrump:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Drogma's winning quotes are all Pawn Dialogue.