Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

Why do people keep forgetting that there's already an american Akira re-make and it ruled?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

i remember when a bunch of nerds got mad about this song because 1) They don't know the difference between sampling and stealing, and 2) They don't know that the Daft Punk song was also made using sampling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wyoming posted:

3. The skeleton is also buff.

Sorry, this isn't the Brigador movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

i remember when a bunch of nerds got mad about this song because 1) They don't know the difference between sampling and stealing, and 2) They don't know that the Daft Punk song was also made using sampling.

I had no idea but I really like this song.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Skeletor is actually more a buff wizard with a skull for a head.

The 2002 remake series was pretty good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Daft Punk actually financed an album of all the songs they sampled in Discovery (called Discovered, appropriately enough) so it's not like they tried to hide the fact that they used samples so heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

All three songs are great.

Also, nerds getting angry at rap songs for sampling reveals such a huge ignorance about rap music that it almost borders on racism.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Skwirl posted:

Also, nerds getting angry at rap songs for sampling reveals such a huge ignorance about rap music that it almost borders on racism.

It's definitely racism. The same people thought Kid Rock was a loving genius for putting together "Werewolves of London" with "Sweet Home Alabama" a few years ago.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's definitely racism. The same people thought Kid Rock was a loving genius for putting together "Werewolves of London" with "Sweet Home Alabama" a few years ago.

That song still makes me seethe with rage today.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feldegast42 posted:

:same:

I always get excited about Werewolves of London only to be enraged every drat time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sweet Werewolves of London
Roll drat tide
Watched the teeth, hair as they grew

Sweet Werewolves of London
Silver bullets will stop you

In Birmingham(the one in England)
A man got bit by something new
Now wolfsbane does not bother me
Do you turn at the full moon? Now tell the truth

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Skwirl posted:

To reaffirm Pope Corky, it's definitely racism.

Anytime a white person accuses black artists of musical theft is really rich.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Feldegast42 posted:

Jeez chill out brah

You should try some different things
And smoke some funny things

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone used the Deep Rising theme and the song wasn't very good.

I don't like most music though and I would've rather listened to the Deep Rising score.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I love when people act like gangsta rap is still a thing and that hip hop is all vapid thuggery about booty, bitches, and bling when most modern hip hop stars are dudes with rainbow dreadlocks talking about their feelings and video games.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

I love when people act like gangsta rap is still a thing and that hip hop is all vapid thuggery about booty, bitches, and bling when most modern hip hop stars are dudes with rainbow dreadlocks talking about their feelings and video games.

People like Chris Brown still exist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

I miss gangta rap :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gangsta rap isn't a thing anymore? But I loved the ridiculous over the top lifestyles those guys lead with all the bling!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
maybe i'm showing my ignorance of music here, but isn't trap music the "new" gangsta rap?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

maybe i'm showing my ignorance of music here, but isn't trap music the "new" gangsta rap?

It was a sad day a couple weeks ago when I realized that I no longer "got" rap music, and have officially become an old

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It was a sad day a couple weeks ago when I realized that I no longer "got" rap music, and have officially become an old

I gave up on labels/genres for music so long ago and just roll with "this sounds good, lyrics are cool, beat is good, etc.". Music changes so fast especially in this era of internet creativity where we have subgenres of music centered around simpson's loops.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I gave up on labels/genres for music so long ago and just roll with "this sounds good, lyrics are cool, beat is good, etc.". Music changes so fast especially in this era of internet creativity where we have subgenres of music centered around simpson's loops.

Don't mid me, I'm just being a cranky old man because they don't make good old songs like "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" anymore :bahgawd:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't mid me, I'm just being a cranky old man because they don't make good old songs like "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" anymore :bahgawd:

Haha I totally get it man, was sharing with you my own sense of getting old. "I don't get all these youngins new labels for thangs!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

Nowadays it's all about the playlists generated by your subscription service.

"What kind of music do you listen to, Lobok?"
"Oh, well a few minutes ago I was listening to..."
*checks music app*
"...uh, Electronic Autumn Reflections..."

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C52MXbkhepQ

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lobok posted:

Nowadays it's all about the playlists generated by your subscription service.

"What kind of music do you listen to, Lobok?"
"Oh, well a few minutes ago I was listening to..."
*checks music app*
"...uh, Electronic Autumn Reflections..."

I can't stand those auto-generated playlists so I've been listening to the same music for like 4-5 years now.

Okay a bit of a lie, I've picked up a few movie soundtracks since then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hate being asked what I'm listening to because I never have a straight answer to give.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hate being asked what I'm listening to because I never have a straight answer to give.

"Barbie Girl - Aqua, Aquarium (1997) Universal Records"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Detective No. 27 posted:

This popped up in a playlist for me the other week and I was what even is music

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't stand those auto-generated playlists so I've been listening to the same music for like 4-5 years now.

Okay a bit of a lie, I've picked up a few movie soundtracks since then.

I can never be sure how tailored those playlists are to the user or if there are just so many endless tranches of similar styles and artists that there are several that HAVE to match you at some point.

Some of them I see may as well just be bluntly called "Never Leave Your Comfort Zone Ever" for strangely accurate they are.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This popped up in a playlist for me the other week and I was what even is music

I like that song, it kinda reminds me of Aphex Twin's ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n][Σj∈C[i]Fji[n − 1] + Fexti[n−1]]

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spotify recommendations for Icelandic music are pretty funny because they seem to put it all into one category regardless of genre. Like listen to some gloomy post-punk and it will recommend a crooner from the 50s or a sleazy electro-rock group that only does songs about cocaine or a mega kvlt black metal band or Björk or all of the above because it's all Icelandic.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 22, 2017

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Brb,sampling black Metal Bjork

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The history of Hip Hop is very interesting, more people should read up about it.

What grinds my gears is the people complaining about how it's all just glorification of thugs, money, drugs, bitches and hoes. That type of glorification was created by corporate america and ties directly into racism. It's by design that mainstream rap is vilified by the establishment, where important Hip Hop has been stuck as "underground" music.

It's almost as if the corporations controlling radio stations have a reason for playing the most "gangsta" music that is condemned by white suburbanites.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's the reason for this jackass at the gas station blasting it. poo poo he's playing definitely isn't going on the radio

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fried Watermelon posted:

The history of Hip Hop is very interesting, more people should read up about it.

What grinds my gears is the people complaining about how it's all just glorification of thugs, money, drugs, bitches and hoes. That type of glorification was created by corporate america and ties directly into racism. It's by design that mainstream rap is vilified by the establishment, where important Hip Hop has been stuck as "underground" music.

It's almost as if the corporations controlling radio stations have a reason for playing the most "gangsta" music that is condemned by white suburbanites.

I remember some article claiming that the music industry collaborated with private prisons to create gangsta rap. The idea was that music glorifying crime would increase crime and fill those prisons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I remember some article claiming that the music industry collaborated with private prisons to create gangsta rap. The idea was that music glorifying crime would increase crime and fill those prisons.

The most hilarious part of that conspiracy theory is the idea that rates of incarceration are in any way related to crime rates.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's extra funny because at least half of every rock and roll song from the 80s is glorifying drugs, women, and money. And it's 100% of dogs if you just look at glam rock.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dogs rule

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In mid October they're replaying Princess Bride on 2 days for the 30th anniversary. Fuckin love that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't remember movie releases being so slow and dull last year. The amount of movies and trailers feel like they've slowed to a trickle. In a year I'll probably say the same thing though.

• Locked thread