Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/reckless/status/911279108046376961

wtf does this mean

e;

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I don't have a DV tv, but not switching to 24Hz mode and the sending HDR for SDR content made me think very hard about not buying one. I going to hope that Apple gets their poo poo together and gives us the option to allow for switching if we want it. (LOLOLOL)

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
What happens when you make the pretentious annoying hardware design guy ALSO the pretentious annoying interface design guy is you get the decision to favor menu fluidity over actual content fidelity. :thumbsup:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Ultimately, just manually switching to 24Hz isn't going to be a deal breaker on my end since we don't watch movies regularly, but the SDR->HDR thing is probably going to be annoying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero One posted:

YouTube is a third party app so it's up to Google to add support.

I'm hoping Vudu adds support soon (and cuts their prices).

YouTube encodes 4K content in VP9, which Apple doesn't and likely won't ever support. Google would have to re-encode everything to h.265 if they wanted hardware support. Speaking as someone who has negotiated re-encoding with YouTube before, it's exceedingly unlikely.

They could do it in software, of course. I don't know what the performance would be like for their streams and scrubbing and so forth. Anyone know what the YouTube 4K bit rates are?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I think he means that you either get HDR10 10 60hz, or Dolby Vision at 30hz (since that's what the LG OLEDs support), but because the Apple TV can't switch modes automatically, you have to go to the settings and pick it yourself. The content can't change the mode.

I'm going to slightly disagree with him, in that I don't think Dolby Vision is insanely better than HDR10, but it is weird that Apple just won't allow the TV to switch modes and forces all content to be in one of the HDR modes. Very silly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
People have been banging on the drum for 24hz output and it hasn't happened yet (even though that's an output mode I really want). They could run the GUI at 60Hz and switch to 24Hz for content, but that would result in a screen blank and people don't like that, apparently.

The real solution is 120Hz but you're not getting 4K panels near that for a long time.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 22, 2017

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

People have been banging on the drum for 24hz output and it hasn't happened yet (even though that's an output mode I really want). They could ruin the GUI at 60Hz and switch to 24Hz for content, but that would result in a screen blank and people don't like that, apparently.

Less "People", more "Apple".

Subjunctive posted:

YouTube encodes 4K content in VP9, which Apple doesn't and likely won't ever support. Google would have to re-encode everything to h.265 if they wanted hardware support. Speaking as someone who has negotiated re-encoding with YouTube before, it's exceedingly unlikely.

This also affects Safari on macOS and iOS as well. For iOS, whatever, but for macOS, it's annoying having to switch out to Chrome if you want to watch something in high res on YouTube.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

People have been banging on the drum for 24hz output and it hasn't happened yet (even though that's an output mode I really want). They could ruin the GUI at 60Hz and switch to 24Hz for content, but that would result in a screen blank and people don't like that, apparently.

The real solution is 120Hz but you're not getting 4K panels near that for a long time.

ATV4k will do 24Hz, but only at user selection assuming your TV supports it. This is based on people actually having access to the option in display settings. That said, those same people are reporting it's only for 4k display and the option doesn't appear if you set the resolution at 1080p.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 22, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's an upgrade given that 3:2 from 60hz to 24hz is never as good a way of doing things, and that's what the 4th gen is locked to.

I have a 2015 LG OLED so my lack of Dolby Vision means this 'issue' is of no concern to me either, so things looking good so far.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

shoplifter posted:

ATV4k will do 24Hz, but only at user selection assuming your TV supports it. This is based on people actually having access to the option in display settings. That said, those same people are reporting it's only for 4k display and the option doesn't appear if you set the resolution at 1080p.

That's good, since the 4th gen doesn't support it at all. But having to manually switch it stinks. I would accept screen blanking for better looking video, apple! :argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did it even come out today? No store around here seem to even got it, with them still selling the old Apple TV for the same price.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I think Best Buy was the only store that might have actually gotten it, but all the ones around me don't have any yet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine just got delivered. It looks exactly like the 4th gen. Wahoo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I picked one up at a Store today (64GB), and cancelled my delivery order for two weeks out. They had a pile of 32s, but only a few 64s left.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Mine just got delivered. It looks exactly like the 4th gen. Wahoo.

It has holes in the bottom.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thrilled by Apple's decision to require all packages be signed, which means UPS will probably fail after three attempts and send it back. Morons.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wicka posted:

Thrilled by Apple's decision to require all packages be signed, which means UPS will probably fail after three attempts and send it back. Morons.

They let you pre-sign it so you can leave it at the door or with someone though. It's on the order page.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wicka posted:

My watch is in the pipe being sent via FedEx Express. It defaulted to "no sig required" when I ordered.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

They let you pre-sign it so you can leave it at the door or with someone though. It's on the order page.

You have to print off a loving form and tape it to your door. I am out of the country. Wouldn't have even placed the order if I had known about this, it didn't say anything on the app. Was hoping to have it waiting for me when I got home, but I guess shipping things is too hard.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The most valuable thing to me right now would be a hands on "review" from an ATV4 user talking about what their non4K experience with the ATV4K is. Features? Snappiness? Etc...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tell UPS to leave it at a UPS Store and pick it up at your leisure.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Tell UPS to leave it at a UPS Store and pick it up at your leisure.

I wasn't even told this was going to be the case until the day before it was delivered. And it's retarded for me to drive out of my way to the lone UPS Store in my area, at which I'd have to pay to park, when there are companies that excel at taking packages to my place of residence and leaving it there. This isn't difficult in the slightest. Apple is loving up hard, for no reason. No one else I've ever ordered from does this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They've been doing it for years, so I'm not sure how you didn't know it would be the case.

Anyway, set it to 24hz and lordy the menu is choppy af. I'm gonna send some feedback that I would like automatic switching.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

wicka posted:

I wasn't even told this was going to be the case until the day before it was delivered. And it's retarded for me to drive out of my way to the lone UPS Store in my area, at which I'd have to pay to park, when there are companies that excel at taking packages to my place of residence and leaving it there. This isn't difficult in the slightest. Apple is loving up hard, for no reason. No one else I've ever ordered from does this.
Apple specifically tells you a signature will be required and also allows you to presign for it via the shipper. Sorry you can't read.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

They've been doing it for years, so I'm not sure how you didn't know it would be the case.

Anyway, set it to 24hz and lordy the menu is choppy af. I'm gonna send some feedback that I would like automatic switching.

I've never ordered online from them before, and apparently I never will again, until they learn how to operate a store properly. The fact that they've been doing it for years doesn't mean it's any less indefensible.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Bill Barber”" post="“476668119”"]
Apple specifically tells you a signature will be required and also allows you to presign for it via the shipper. Sorry you can’t read.
[/quote]

Incorrect. Said nothing on the app at all.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Just because they're shipping it in a way that's different from what you're used to doesn't mean they're wrong, you should really give it some time and see if you get used to it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wrap it up, we’re done here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Feenix posted:

The most valuable thing to me right now would be a hands on "review" from an ATV4 user talking about what their non4K experience with the ATV4K is. Features? Snappiness? Etc...

I don't have a 4K tv. In the 3 minutes I spent on it, it's the exact same thing as the 4th gen. I got it because I needed a second and I'm sure I'll get a 4K tv sometime in the future.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wrap it up, we’re done here.

It says a lot about these Apple threads that you think anything of that very sad attempt at a burn. The point still stands that Apple ships things in a very dumb way, and that's independent of the fact that people are using disasteresque terminology to complain about bold text.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol. Lighten up, Francis.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I don't have a 4K tv. In the 3 minutes I spent on it, it's the exact same thing as the 4th gen. I got it because I needed a second and I'm sure I'll get a 4K tv sometime in the future.

Then I will get one but not rush about it.

Wicka: the point is at this point you're just mad for the sake of being mad. Sorry it's slightly inconvenient and you didn't pay close attention. It is what it is. Move on.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I'm fine with mine so far, it actually made me redeem some digital codes I had lying around now that I'm getting more 4k copies.

Feels nice and snappy, but if you already have an ATV4 and not a 4k tv, it's not worth the upgrade. If you don't already have a modern ATV, get this one regardless of whether you have a 4k tv or not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Then I will get one but not rush about it.

Wicka: the point is at this point you're just mad for the sake of being mad. Sorry it's slightly inconvenient and you didn't pay close attention. It is what it is. Move on.

The point is that there's nothing to pay attention to. It literally does not tell you anything about this when you purchase from the app. Move on. It's a poo poo decision and a poor business practice, stop defending it.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Hot drat do the aerial screensavers look amazing in 4K

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wicka posted:

The point is that there's nothing to pay attention to. It literally does not tell you anything about this when you purchase from the app. Move on. It's a poo poo decision and a poor business practice, stop defending it.

I'm not defending anything. I'm saying you've run your indignant dissatisfaction into the ground here. Move on. If you're pissed at Apple, fine. Don't support them. But poo poo is what it is. You planting your flag on this just seems overblown.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Requiring a signature for expensive devices so they don't get left on my porch to get stolen is totally cool with me. Maybe don't order highly desirable poo poo while you're out of the country? :shrug:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm not defending anything. I'm saying you've run your indignant dissatisfaction into the ground here. Move on. If you're pissed at Apple, fine. Don't support them. But poo poo is what it is. You planting your flag on this just seems overblown.

I guess what I'm saying is this: don't get things shipped to your home from the Apple Store because they don't know how to deliver them. I think that's a fair warning for those who might expect the Apple Store to operate in the same way as literally every other store.

Requiring a signature for expensive devices so they don't get left on my porch to get stolen is totally cool with me. Maybe don't order highly desirable poo poo while you're out of the country? :shrug:

Listen: if you WANT them to require a signature, you should be able to choose that. I should be able to choose not to, without plastering a sign on my door that lets the world know an Apple package is going to be left there. That's insane.

And gently caress, what is the difference to me between a package being stolen vs it not being delivered at all? In both cases I don't get the loving product I paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jesus loving christ, are you still raging about this?