Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hackbunny posted:

the discussion was iirc about the many frustratingly similar but incompatible re syntaxes, and it's 100% true: sed has one, grep another, javascript, icu etc. someone proposed, in the usual hyperbolic yospos style, pcre as "the" standard. the word "pcre" triggered you and the rest is history

ah, right right, i rather leapt from the ml module system for composing regex syntax/semantics implementations into the suggestion that pcre was the default. the default *syntax* i agree with entirely, but then neither re2, nor anything else really in the conversation since, is stupid enough to deviate from perl syntax, so i was a bit thrown by the conversation doubling back to syntax composition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the (oca)ml module system is loving great and anyone who disagrees doesn't understand or appreciate its power

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

gonadic io posted:

counterpoint: if you want to search for .*.*.*.*.* then do that on your own cpu.

software should be running on the user's CPU

servers are for storing data

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 21, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

leper khan posted:

pretty sure email doesn’t need a . after the @

it also doesn't need a @

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ICU is the standard regular expression syntax because ICU is a standard

sort of

enough

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the (oca)ml module system is loving great and anyone who disagrees doesn't understand or appreciate its power

me i don't. but then i don't really have any idea as to what makes a good or bad module system

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eschaton posted:

it also doesn't need a @

this is one of those 'it doesnt matter a library will handle validation' things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly regexes tend to be pretty natural where a human can broadly describe the format. "this field should always start with xyz and then follows the number which we need to extract, terminated by a comma, except when..." i.e. often stuff that is either just slightly denormalized data fields, or stuff that has been formatted with humans in mind but now need to be reversed a bit, like log files and textual file formats. email addresses are the product of a bunch of specifications which don't encode well at all. let the mailer figure it out.

also ml modules are neato but one is basically out there with haskell type classes at that point, so practical relevance falls under the haskell curse

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haskell typeclasses are mainstream now. haven't you heard about rust?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

eschaton posted:

it also doesn't need a @

Seriously? Since when?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doom Mathematic posted:

Seriously? Since when?

since the beginning

iirc, in some early email systems they used an ! instead of an @

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Huh. No specification for email address syntax I've ever seen has been structured like that, the "@" in the middle was always the most obvious unchangeable feature, but I guess I never went back far enough. Do any of those still work?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably not, this was back in arpanet times

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check this: In the above path, the local email address of the user who sent the email (Greg Guthrie) was "ihux!grg"
https://www.livinginternet.com/e/ew_addr.htm

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

haskell typeclasses are mainstream now. haven't you heard about rust?

last i remember rust didnt have full typeclasses. is this a new development?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are rust traits even a subset of typeclasses? i thought they're just a different approach.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
idk about rust (not part of the evangelism strikeforce) but type classes aren't magic, the haskell compiler is just passing a dictionary around for you. if you're willing to do that yourself, you can implement them pretty simply, even in a language that technically "doesn't have typeclasses" like ocaml: http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/typeclass.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i havent actually looked at rust in a while but from what i remember rust traits are pretty much just haskell typeclasses with different syntax. by "full typeclasses" i assume you mean that in rust you can't implement something like monads by using a rust trait? because if that's what you mean it's not because rust traits themselves are lacking, it's because the rust type system doesn't support higher kinded types.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JewKiller 3000 posted:

idk about rust (not part of the evangelism strikeforce) but type classes aren't magic, the haskell compiler is just passing a dictionary around for you. if you're willing to do that yourself, you can implement them pretty simply, even in a language that technically "doesn't have typeclasses" like ocaml: http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/typeclass.html

see also: http://www.haskellforall.com/2012/05/scrap-your-type-classes.html

this article gets thrown around quite a bit in the haskell community and it's basically just talking about a way you could do "typeclasses" by just using the normal data structures already built in to haskell

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
c# may be getting typeclasses as early as c# 8

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

redleader posted:

c# may be getting typeclasses as early as c# 8

how does pl thread feel about c# and possibly .net core?

c# seems nice but also like There's A Lot Going On.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

C# is a great language with a dumpster fire of a standard library.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

how is this grammatical or pronounceable ever

in english ofc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

in english ofc

an exclamation point?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

in english ofc

a bang (something no YOSPOSter will ever know about, so I get the confusion)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

a witch posted:

Wrong!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sinestro posted:

a bang (something no YOSPOSter will ever know about, so I get the confusion)

yea bangs are one thing but i said "an ___" so its gotta start w a vowel yo

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 23, 2017

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

which of the six built in json decoders did you settle on?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

a witch posted:

c# is an ok language with a dumpster fire of a standard library. though it did invent async/await which is now an essential feature in any language that sees serious use in the 2010s.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats wrong w/ the c# std lib?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shaggar posted:

whats wrong w/ the c# std lib?

you like it

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

fart simpson posted:

i havent actually looked at rust in a while but from what i remember rust traits are pretty much just haskell typeclasses with different syntax. by "full typeclasses" i assume you mean that in rust you can't implement something like monads by using a rust trait? because if that's what you mean it's not because rust traits themselves are lacking, it's because the rust type system doesn't support higher kinded types.
rust's actually getting some basic HKTness soon. traits still aren't typeclasses, though; traits are always "single-parameter" in haskell terms, and the constraints rust allows differ from the ones Haskell does in various ways. not entirely sure how generic traits fit into the picture off the top of my head, either.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

a witch posted:

which of the six built in json decoders did you settle on?

programming is all about tradeoffs. right tool for the job. you can't anticipate your users' every future need. we asked that team to add just one little method we needed for our entire product but they refused! fuckers! so we wrote our own

realtalk the obvious correct decision is the one that encodes dates in the most insane way possible, ideally in a way that minimizes interoperability. congrats JavaScriptSerializer you win the prize

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
c# is real good

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

raminasi posted:

c# is real good

it is. it's getting pretty complicated with all the new syntax sugar, though.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

c# is good and would be even better if they weren't loving up .net core/standard/dnx (are these the same thing? who can tell) so badly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

Seriously? Since when?

if you're sending mail from one local user to another there's no need for anything more than a username

and as someone else pointed out there was also bang path addressing, common with UUCP back in the day

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Plus the user part can be a quoted string containing an @ so naively just scanning for an @ doesn't guarantee it's a valid email address.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Edit: I might be in the wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
c# is decent but yeah they've badly damaged the platform with the nonsensical overlapping versioning systems for the platform, runtime, libraries, compiler, rest of the toolchain and the ide

also failing to give any support to f# outside of research is disappointing