Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The writer of that game was taking the piss when you keep running into Simon's estranged family again and again across an entire galaxy.

gently caress that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tired Moritz posted:

i forgot what was the point of the factory minigame. I think it was to unlock more weapons?

You basically crafted a bunch of random poo poo. A couple costumes and weapons and other stuff. Like high-grade healing items and poo poo IIRC? Maybe some Insectron stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did someone say battle themes that get really, really, really, really, really, really, really old really fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHJJY8GhMY

persona psp has a soundtrack that's pretty good but also ruined if you play the game for more than two hours

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's a good bit in Star Ocean 4 and it's when you cause the Roswell Incident and then blow up the earth afterwards

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

Anything gets tiring when you hear it 10 times an hour for a day or three.

Supporting evidence: Retail.

I worked in a Target around the time of the first Spiderman movie and have finally managed to forget its big theme song. That thing was playing constantly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Your main battle theme shouldn't have lyrics.

That way you can slide the lyrical version in on more dramatic fights or when the player is in a tight spot. Basically every development team in the world should look at MGR forward Platinum games and learn how music should be used.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your main battle theme shouldn't have lyrics.

That way you can slide the lyrical version in on more dramatic fights or when the player is in a tight spot. Basically every development team in the world should look at MGR forward Platinum games and learn how music should be used.

No no no you have it backwards. Instrumental versions of lyrical songs should be used for big dramatic fights, especially if the lyrical song is the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBuWNO1mxcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvA4qlDJ6CE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
be like ar tonelico and have it kick in towards the end of the song so for every battle you're just listening to something a bit quiet and then on longer fights it ramps up into a guy rapping about dutchland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD3epbc9bsc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHM-7qMiDs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every battle song should have lyrics

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

most battles don't deserve their own music

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'll take the Xenoblade Chronicles X approach of having lyrics on the normal battle theme, but the dramatic battles are distinguished by being anime butt rock even harder.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ar tonelico has good music and i hope they make a new one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The real issue with regular battle themes isn't that you'll be hearing them over and over, it's that you'll be hearing their first thirty seconds over and over, because there's very few JRPG mobs that last much longer than that.

P3 and FFX grated on me because I couldn't take those drumbeats in X or ooooohhhhh baby baby baby baby YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH

otoh P5's was pretty great because the chorus was precisely timed to kick in just as you killed everyone at once like 75% of the time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM3Kf4L7gnY

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Late game Berseria spoilers: This “Oh no, I killed Oscar!!!” stuff rings extreeeeemely hollow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

Late game Berseria spoilers: This “Oh no, I killed Oscar!!!” stuff rings extreeeeemely hollow.

She basically just did to Theresa exactly what Artorias did to her, and completely by accident.

Velvet talks a lot of poo poo but she's not as brutal as she makes herself out to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

its not that oscar is some pure being its that velvet's realizing that she's kind of a shithead. her entire point was refusing to accept a world built on the sacrifice of her brother and then, wait, she's been stopping that world by sacrificing other people.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Is Tales of Legendia worth playing?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The only good thing about it is the music, and like one and a half characters.

The music though is admittedly pretty goddamn loving amazing.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 23, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tales of Legendia makes me physically ill to play so I'll say no

Just don't play any of the Tales games that have a limpdicked Indignation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it has some really great writing in places and amazing music but the great writing is executed and paced in a really bizarre way and the gameplay and graphics are total garbage

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

My controversial opinion is that the best parts about Rogue Galaxy are all the parts you're doing anything but playing Rogue Galaxy. Those being the factory and insectron.

I thought the factory was a pretty dang fun little puzzle game.

What up, Factory Buddy? :hfive:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

chumbler posted:

I'll take the Xenoblade Chronicles X approach of having lyrics on the normal battle theme, but the dramatic battles are distinguished by being anime butt rock even harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeb7StJlRc

Nothing gets the ol' OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo WHERE IS IT senses tingling like the intro to the Tyrant battle music

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

the wild arms writer is incredibly good at weird twists

oh...hm......our guns are made of half tissue/robot dragon skeletons. Oh yeah by the way dragons are sentient gundams and humans used to live on a big floating city called philadelphia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

oh...hm......our guns are made of half tissue/robot dragon skeletons. Oh yeah by the way dragons are sentient gundams and humans used to live on a big floating city called philadelphia

it rules

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Wait should I play Wild Arms? I heard 1 was difficult to get into and 2's translation was a no go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait should I play Wild Arms? I heard 1 was difficult to get into and 2's translation was a no go.

3 is good. really long, but really good.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

3 became a lot cooler to play in chapter 3. you can suddenly go most anywhere and you have a collection of goals but you don't have to accomplish most of them in a specific order, npcs in towns give you weird clues for finding things. it's a treasure hunt basically..the world map radar system feels like it actually has a point now too. it would be cool to play a whole game like this

Endorph posted:

it rules

its the casual way all these things are brought up in this and wild arms 2 that gets me. like clive doesn't even care. oh yeah...our guns are half-organic....did you not know that, virginia?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

play 2 anyway it's good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

wild arms 2 is the closest jrpgs have gotten to a fever dream

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Wild arms have the hardest puzzle and clues in my childhood that made me gave up playing it for a long time. That's pre-gamefaqs era.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

wild arms 2 is the closest jrpgs have gotten to a fever dream

sometimes i wonder if it even made sense in japanese or if the translation is, like, the best they possibly could have done under the circumstances

Nyaa posted:

Wild arms have the hardest puzzle and clues in my childhood that made me gave up playing it for a long time. That's pre-gamefaqs era.

that's because wild arms's puzzles haven't always been translated correctly

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

2 is really good. i think the bad translation helps it. like corn says its like a fever dream...ive never had another rpg experience like it.

1 is good as well. it's not really difficult to get into. I think as a kid I had some trouble figuring out what to do in the beginning but that was it.

quote:

1 did this to me. its the puzzle with the chests/bookshelves. i think that's what made me discover gamefaqs eventually

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Hey now, Xenosaga's... one battle theme was pretty all right.

they saved all their resources for the final boss theme

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

1 did this to me. its the puzzle with the chests/bookshelves. i think that's what made me discover gamefaqs eventually

holy poo poo this is the first thing i thought of

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wild arms 2 is written the exact same way as the other wild arms games, as well as the anime the wild arms writer has written. The dude has a very eccentric writing style with lots of weird speech patterns, bizarre emphasis on certain words, and a really off-kilter sense of humor, but it's not nonsense or anything, it's actually pretty good writing that has a nice flow to it, it just comes across very characterful. So it's easy to imagine why unskilled PSX era translators would get handed that and turn it into nonsense, compared to the more stock writing of, say, FF7, where translators of similar skill just made a bunch of errors and mistakes but still came out with something at least recognizable as attempts at coherent thought.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

im glad the bad wild arms 2 translations exists because there's some real gold in there; but im sad that it's the only version that exists since the plot seemed like it was legit interesting from what i could understand of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wild arms man is a good writer. proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibu_aoDrgTk