Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it's perfectly reasonable in the 21st century to assume that an email matches .+@.+\.+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

redleader posted:

it's perfectly reasonable in the 21st century to assume that an email matches .+@.+\.+

lol i dont think any emails match that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

lol i dont think any emails match that

maybe? have i got my regex wrong? some letters, then an @, then letters, then . , then more letters?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

redleader posted:

maybe? have i got my regex wrong? some letters, then an @, then letters, then . , then more letters?

a string your regex will reject: "dongs@butts.com"

a string your regex will accept: " @ ....."

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

You forgot a non-literal . after the literal .

Otherwise I feel that's really close enough

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

a string your regex will reject: "dongs@butts.com"

a string your regex will accept: " @ ....."

oooooh whoops, lol. these things suck

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Vanadium posted:

You forgot a non-literal . after the literal .

Otherwise I feel that's really close enough

yeah i'm definitely not arguing in favor of doing something more complicated

i'd stick with "is there an @ in it? ok validate it by emailing it a confirmation link". now you don't need regular expressions.

nobody uses ! any more and local addresses without an @ only apply in very specific cases where you're not validating an general-purpose email address to begin with. but there are going to be cases where there's no . in the domain such as the aforementioned "nerd@google"

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Everyone saying c# is bad should own up to what terrible language and platform they prefer.

The .net core/standard stuff is impenetrable, but the language is great and so is the stdlib, especially considering its age.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

havelock posted:

Everyone saying c# is bad should own up to what terrible language and platform they prefer.

The .net core/standard stuff is impenetrable, but the language is great and so is the stdlib, especially considering its age.

JAVA BICTH

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speaking of which

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/pressrelease/java-se-9-and-ee-8-092117.html

JAVA 9 MOTHERFUKCERS!!!!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
oh good, time to take another brief look at getting any of our code to work with it before sadly shaking our heads and underlining the bit in the documentation that says only java 8 is supported

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also reactjs and some other fb js projects just went mit licensed :toot:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:geno: this is as excited i get about anything

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a witch posted:

C# is a great language with a dumpster fire of a standard library.

you misspelled build system

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you misspelled package manager

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild and nuget are so loving bad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
microsoft hosed up .net when they decided to open source it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they hosed it up when they decided to do .net core and didn't create a working build + package system. they're the biggest problems with the current state of .net

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
they hosed up by not having maven

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they should have used the litterrall pom and then just made a native runtime + plugins for it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Soricidus posted:

but there are going to be cases where there's no . in the domain such as the aforementioned "nerd@google"

good, gently caress people who use turdy tld-only email addresses

I'm 100% ok with refusing to allow them to create an account

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Maven, more like Maybe, as in maybe it will let you build what you need

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I have a different opinion"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

they hosed it up when they decided to do .net core and didn't create a working build + package system. they're the biggest problems with the current state of .net

i still don't understand why they didn't just work on fixing mono.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Soricidus posted:

but there are going to be cases where there's no . in the domain such as the aforementioned "nerd@google"

do people really do this

gmail won't even let me send an email to a TLD

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Arcsech posted:

imagine opening the inbox of test@test

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Oh goody, now recruiters can update all their job reqs so that people in java 8 jobs can't find work

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Arcsech posted:

i wanted an @aws but 1) there's a much better plan for it than nerd cred and 2) it would break on half the internet

wish we gave people @a2z.com addresses tho

FamDav fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 23, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it's prohibited apparently? https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2013-08-30-en

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

oh cool that makes life easier then

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jony neuemonic posted:

indirectly, they did. from what I've heard, mono 5.x (which was released after and with a lot of code contributions from lolnetcore) is a lot more stable than 4.x

and mono now has a webassembly compiler in alpha, which is way more interesting to me than any mild refactoring of aspnet and entity framework

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

also paket solves practically every problem that nuget has. always use it for anything non-trivial.

i don't know of any tool that similarly fixes the horror of msbuild though. there are a few interesting projects but none are close to production ready. best you can do is keep your msbuild project files as small and simple as possible (admittedly here the netcore guys actually did well, by making the new project files actually manageable) and offload anything beyond basic compilation to your language-agnostic tools of choice.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arcsech posted:

i get my

gonadic+company@gmail.com

rejected far more than i would expect. let alone gonadic.io+company@gmail.com

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

cause it would be way too hard. there are too many win32 based assumptions in .net framework, and thus mono, that separating out the pure .net stuff makes sense.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

also paket solves practically every problem that nuget has. always use it for anything non-trivial.

what makes paket better than nuget?

more generally, what makes one package manager better than another? what makes a good package manager better than a bad one?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

redleader posted:

what makes paket better than nuget?

for starters, if you add some packages to your project, then share that project with other people, when those people build the project they will always get the exact same package versions you used. this is not guaranteed with nuget

second, if you install a big package that has a lot of other dependencies, paket will keep separate track of the package you actually wanted and the ones that that package merely brought in, for the purpose of updating etc. (nuget actually fixed this with nuget 3, not sure if it survived the death of project.json though)

other benefits: the files are human readable, it can reference direct source files, it can temporarily override dependencies with local versions for testing purposes, it can create conditional references based on the framework you're targeting, it can create load scripts which are super useful for quick testing, it can easily manage packages for a whole solution at once while keeping separate references for each project

so as for your question "what makes a good package manager", it basically boils down to two things:

- don't do unexpected stuff
- don't waste the user's time
- (optional) let the user reference more things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
two features make a good package manager:

* define a project's build process using inert data instead of providing a turing-complete languge that waltzes with its os environment while making GBS threads a trail of side-effects in its wake
* when i check out a snapshot of my project from source control, and it cites a particular set of transitive dependencies at that point in time, i loving expect a bit-identical copy of each of those exact transitive dependencies to be provided. because, you know, reproducible builds are generally considered to be a good idea.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
lolmfao if you aren't using java/maven

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

indirectly, they did. from what I've heard, mono 5.x (which was released after and with a lot of code contributions from lolnetcore) is a lot more stable than 4.x

and mono now has a webassembly compiler in alpha, which is way more interesting to me than any mild refactoring of aspnet and entity framework

Shaggar posted:

cause it would be way too hard. there are too many win32 based assumptions in .net framework, and thus mono, that separating out the pure .net stuff makes sense.

fair enough. it's a shame to see them essentially start over but i probably shouldn't make "fix mono" sound like a trivial thing.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

* define a project's build process using inert data instead of providing a turing-complete languge that waltzes with its os environment while making GBS threads a trail of side-effects in its wake
only managers believe that this is possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jony neuemonic posted:

fair enough. it's a shame to see them essentially start over but i probably shouldn't make "fix mono" sound like a trivial thing.

well it's Microsoft, there's either five competing internally produced products of varied viability or it's not worth doing