Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Gazpacho posted:

only managers believe that this is possible

wrap the code in plugins, specify the build with inert data

instead of mixing the two and hating life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i expect that the still-useful parts of mono that haven't been implemented in core yet will be migrated over with some effort and adaptation and mono will be phased out over another 5 years or something

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

pokeyman posted:

wrap the code in plugins, specify the build with inert data

instead of mixing the two and hating life

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

NihilCredo posted:

for starters, if you add some packages to your project, then share that project with other people, when those people build the project they will always get the exact same package versions you used. this is not guaranteed with nuget

:eyepop:

Sapozhnik posted:

two features make a good package manager:

thanks for the responses. i don't really have to deal with this sort of thing often because we rarely bring in external libraries, and check the artifacts into source control (!)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

redleader posted:

thanks for the responses. i don't really have to deal with this sort of thing often because we rarely bring in external libraries, and check the artifacts into source control (!)

:smith:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wrote a new blog post about something fun i discovered today

http://blog.mecheye.net/2017/10/urg/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

wrote a new blog post about something fun i discovered today

http://blog.mecheye.net/2017/10/urg/

super interesting, thanks

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

redleader posted:

:eyepop:

for all the poo poo this approach gets, there are still much worse things you could be doing.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you asked software engineers some of their “least hated” things, you’ll likely hear both UTF-8 and TCP. TCP, despite being 35 years old, is rock-solid, stable infrastructure that we take for granted today; it’s hard to sometimes realize that TCP was man-made, given how well it’s served us.
TCP is at best super inefficient and wildly inappropriate for nearly everything we do with it, even ignoring all the weird dark corners. networked software would be in a much better place if something like SCTP had taken off.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah, i sort of touched on it, but it's hilarious how many things either misinterpret "tcp packet" as "datagram" or try to rebuild datagram transport on top of tcp. tcp is actually the wrong idea, implemented super well. i don't know how well sctp works -- we don't have 40 years of using it in practice -- but i think most people want actual unlimited-size datagram transfer.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also that first paragraph was plagarized from tef http://programmingisterrible.com/post/69710734780/the-trouble-with-tcp-its-good-but-were-stuck

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so the thing is that, while i generally agree about people actually wanting an unrestricted datagram protocol, there is so so much from tcp that you would need to reimplement

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just use websockets op

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

so the thing is that, while i generally agree about people actually wanting an unrestricted datagram protocol, there is so so much from tcp that you would need to reimplement

i said tcp is a bad idea well-executed. i don't care if you reuse / reimplement 90% of tcp's good execution, something that's datagram-based is still a better idea.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

TCP is pretty drat good if only because it has prevented multiple generations of developers from writing custom packet deduplication, reordering, and retransmission mechanism in every other app around. I'll gladly take the possible slowdown of a few acks over a sliding window to 15 iterations of "reliable data transfer" libraries in JS for the browser. I find the tradeoff worthwhile even if you look at SCTP and you have to go "oh yeah that's nicer"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
sctp is so good and it'll never be mainstream :smith:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hackbunny posted:

backwards compatibility is a hell of a drug

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i feel like for everything we use theres something better in some sense but not mainstream

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

i feel like for everything we use theres something better in some sense but not mainstream

see: opus vs. mp3; FLAC vs. wav

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What's the better-but-not-mainstream alternative to PDFs?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Electron

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you're scanning data, djvu is pretty light compared to PDF, but PDF does so much overall that making a less popular alternative has to fail at some aspects by virtue of not being able to make it do as many things.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

rjmccall posted:

yeah this is why i still use TCP when i need reliable delivery even though i could theoretically build something more appropriate on top of UDP; it would just be such a huge yak shave.

MononcQc posted:

TCP is pretty drat good if only because it has prevented multiple generations of developers from writing custom packet deduplication, reordering, and retransmission mechanism in every other app around. I'll gladly take the possible slowdown of a few acks over a sliding window to 15 iterations of "reliable data transfer" libraries in JS for the browser. I find the tradeoff worthwhile even if you look at SCTP and you have to go "oh yeah that's nicer"
it's not "TCP vs UDP," it's "TCP vs a reliable, optionally-ordered datagram protocol (such as SCTP)". obviously everyone and their dog reinventing any complex protocol isn't going to be a good time, but that wouldn't be necessary.

i think QUIC still gives us some hope for the future, if nothing else than because google can and will solve the chicken and egg adoption problem by brute force. it's not usually presented as a datagram protocol but it supports multiplexed streams, and there is not really any difference between a multiplexed stream protocol with and an arbitrary-size datagram protocol. unfortunately the team responsible seems to be incapable of publishing it in a reusable form, but if it gets standardized that'll be moot soon enough.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Didn't Google still have issues with SCTP on researching it?

TCP is an easy win as pretty much all $1+ NICs can accelerate it, UDP you are processing everything in software.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im only finding some kinda javacript framework??

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

hackbunny posted:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Powaqoatse posted:

im only finding some kinda javacript framework??

just implement a postscript to javascript transpiler. done.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
lte and the like is built on SCTP so its not exactly unused

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

VikingofRock posted:

joke answer: xps

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
the main problem with SCTP is that microsoft can't be bothered to implement it and consumer NATs don't understand it, so it can't realistically be deployed to networks outside your control. i've also seen suggestions that commercial networking gear handles it worse than UDP for some reason; no first hand experience though. if IPv6 adoption accelerates and microsoft decides to stop making things worse there might be change, but building something new on top of UDP, i.e. QUIC, is more realistic.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

i said tcp is a bad idea well-executed. i don't care if you reuse / reimplement 90% of tcp's good execution, something that's datagram-based is still a better idea.

ironically, tcp is a bad idea reasonably executed

well, mostly ok

tcp as we know it went through many iterations

tcp3 is where it split into tcp/ip which was a good idea at the time, but also ip fragmentaton exists so

then there was tcp-reno et al being developed after congestion collapse

then i guess all the syn-cookie problems, and the back and forward between stateless and stateful firewalls happened too

and now bufferbloat

and now we have a fossiled network of shitboxes at the last mile, great

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

quote:

It’s incredible to think that 35 years of rock-solid protocol has had such an amazing mistake baked into it.

it's incredible to think that a protocol wth 35 years of work is rock-solid

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
tcp is fine.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

HTML.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

and now bufferbloat
CoDel helps, and Google's BBR promises to be interesting since it doesn't wait for packet loss to detect congestion, but rather estimates it from the in-flight data:

(from slides)

but hey, plenty more problems anyway.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ralith posted:

if [...] microsoft decides to stop making things worse

:rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MononcQc posted:

i did work on game netcode for a bit once. making a game netcode begins by picking up udp and reimplementing all the poo poo you need from tcp, because tcp inevitably has that one extra thing in it you don't need for your game to run, and it prevents netcode from working smoothly. if you want to see what the world would look like in the alternate reality you describe, you only need to take a look into the hellscape of game netcode, there's 2-3 sane implementations that work decently well and then there's 3 billion variants of just really loving awful.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

it's incredible to think that a protocol wth 35 years of work is rock-solid

the target audience of my post is hacker news posters and people on /r/programming. unlike anything those people have ever done, tcp does what it says on the tin.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what was that block/tower/stacking game that had people change the coalescing duration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

the target audience of my post is hacker news posters and people on /r/programming. unlike anything those people have ever done, tcp does what it says on the tin.

fair