Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I dunno about leaning QUITE this hard into the negative press but, hey, maybe it'll work.

Reminds me of Tom Lehrer putting quotes from negative reviews on the back cover of one of his albums, including my personal favourite: "Mr. Lehrer's muse is not fettered by such inhibiting factors as taste."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really hate this recent push to turn film criticism into baseball sabermetrics where a bunch of arbitrary poll numbers combined with a secret proprietary formula that just happens to reinforce the status quo is a 100% objective and factual measurement of a movie's quality, so I fully support them pushing back against it.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/here-are-the-only-19-movies-to-ever-receive-an-f-cinemascore.html posted:

What these movies have in common is that they take on the cloak of a genre and then refuse to give the audience what they expect from that genre, a feat that Mother! — which was marketed largely as a horror movie — perpetrates gleefully. If CinemaScore’s list of Fs has a major lesson, it’s that audiences do not like to be fooled in this way. (Trey Edward Shults’s It Comes at Night and Robert Eggers’s The Witch are recent examples of this phenomenon as well; both received very positive reviews and then D and C- CinemaScores, respectively, when they turned out to defy the horror genre’s parameters.)

It’s also an observation reinforced by the current state of the film industry, in which the most successful movies tend to be the most easily understood, based on preexisting property, and part of ongoing franchises and narratives. While it’s surprising that Paramount made Mother! at all, it’s hardly shocking that viewers received it like they did.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

I dunno about leaning QUITE this hard into the negative press but, hey, maybe it'll work.

Erk. I loved the movie, but using the half-beaten face like that makes it look kind of like "come watch a woman get the poo poo kicked out of her" is the message. Which admittedly is what some people who hated it took out of it.

The "this movie is revolting! ;p" style poster seems more of a schlock horror thing too, but I can understand the urge to spin the negative attention into ticketsales.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't get people who thought the VVitch was nothing like the trailer. I went to see it because of the trailer expecting exactly what I got.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

I really hate this recent push to turn film criticism into baseball sabermetrics where a bunch of arbitrary poll numbers combined with a secret proprietary formula that just happens to reinforce the status quo is a 100% objective and factual measurement of a movie's quality, so I fully support them pushing back against it.

I wanna punch whoever wrote that article.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

I wanna punch whoever wrote that article.

quote:

The Box becomes increasingly complicated and outré as it goes on, culminating in a fable of moralism
Hmm yes that is why The Box got terrible reviews, not because it tried to take a mediocre Twilight Zone episode and stretch it out to a full-length movie by adding on a bunch of backstory.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I wanna get this blown up and put it on my wall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has anyone explained why Mother got a wide release? It just seems like a very odd choice to receive that much of a wide screening.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has anyone explained why Mother got a wide release? It just seems like a very odd choice to receive that much of a wide screening.
I'm assuming Darren Aronofsky had the clout to get it made after Black Swan, much the same way Colin Trevorrow was able to get the hilarious clusterfuck megaflop Book of Henry made after he made Jurassic World.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Getting it made is one thing, the question is more why it was put into wide release instead of targeting smaller art house crowds who would be more likely to "get it".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Paramount needs a hit, man. That's literally all it was - they looked at the facts: director who made previous psychological thriller that made several hundred million dollars and won the lead an Oscar decides to make another psychological thriller type movie (at least it seemed that way to them) with the biggest actress in America at the moment. With that to go off of, they decided to take a swing at it being a breakout hit and released it wide.

And then it didn't blow up the way they wanted as Darren went more Requiem For A Dream and less Black Swan with it and of course the general audience recoiled.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but did they not like look at a rough cut or something

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

If you watched a rough cut of Black Swan you also wouldn't have expected that to make $300+ million. A movie featuring a woman masturbating, an ecstasy sequence, lesbian sex, a woman turning into a swan, someone being stabbed with a mirror shard, all shot on grainy-rear end 16mm and about ballet?

Sometimes you just look at a thing and go "I don't get it, but maybe that's why it'll work" and in Paramount's case any and every exec would be thinking that since the only thing they could get a good return on was Transformers stuff and that has a huge gross share with Hasbro and Bay at this point. They're at the point where rolling the dice and hoping for the best is their best play.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Getting it made is one thing, the question is more why it was put into wide release instead of targeting smaller art house crowds who would be more likely to "get it".

Mother! really isn't a subtle movie at all, I think most viewers with half a lobe are going to "get it" and walk away pretty clear on the themes and allusions Aronofsky shoves down your throat, especially in the last 30min of the film. I think the harder question to answer is why did they try to market it as a horror film?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Marketing is a black art that no one truly understands.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Erk. I loved the movie, but using the half-beaten face like that makes it look kind of like "come watch a woman get the poo poo kicked out of her" is the message.

Plus there has already been a controversy concerning a poster depicting violence against jennifer lawrence so you would think they would be extra careful. Also the two character painting posters for mother! are so good that I hate them primarily advertising with the boring close up of j.law with slight cracks poster so much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think it helped that the movie deviates so wildly from the original source material.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Marketing is a black art that no one truly understands.

The only thing you have to successfully market is yourself.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Some more Thor 3 stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is a really fun idea, but it feels like they didn't go all the way with it by just having Thor on it. Having both Thor and Hulk on it would make it more authentic to an actual fight poster.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
How many of SLJ's characters are distinguished primarily by hat choice?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did The Guardian give it two stars? Haha

That's... kinda brilliant.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Love that beam of light that branches off from the torch and curves so as to illuminate both of the stars eyes without obeying the properties of light or making any real aesthetic sense either.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Moon Atari posted:

Love that beam of light that branches off from the torch and curves so as to illuminate both of the stars eyes without obeying the properties of light or making any real aesthetic sense either.

It's horrible, and somehow makes the poster look cross-eyed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The cinema trailers for Mother! are equally terrible, literally saying :siren: EVERYONE REMEMBERS WHERE THEY WERE WHEN THEY SAW....MOTHER! :siren: (book your tickets in the foyer now!)

It's just awful.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Palpek posted:

Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku!

:golfclap:

That reminds me. I need to re-up my Hulu account so I can catch that last season they just did.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Proteus Jones posted:

That reminds me. I need to re-up my Hulu account so I can catch that last season they just did.

Watch the first three episodes and pretend it was just a little miniseries/movie. The season manages to hold it down a little longer after that, but the back half is just awful.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Darthemed posted:

so this is the kingsman villains prequel

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Proteus Jones posted:

Let me know if it's good because the idea just sounds awful. "Hey remember that really cool cartoon you used to like? It's back, and this time it has blood and loving!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first three episodes are a work of art. It actually makes the most of its increased rating and it doesn't feel really edgy about it. Its real failing is the script of the latter half, chief problem being a really unfortunate romantic plot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Samurai Jack has blood and loving now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No loving. Just blood. And had, it was a 10 episode season that ended earlier this year.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

COOL CORN posted:

Samurai Jack has blood and loving now?

It got a revival season on Adult Swim earlier this year and it let them be TV-MA. The increased violence was actually used really well (a lot of the story is about how waging a futile war for so long has turned him into a ragged and empty person a la Mad Max and him dealing with actually killing someone after so long slaughtering nothing but robots and monsters), everything involving the creepy romance​ between Jack and what is effectively a brainwashed child who is obsessed with him is awful even before you consider the fact that her design has popped up in almost every other Genndy Tartakovsky show so he obviously is into it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

It got a revival season on Adult Swim earlier this year and it let them be TV-MA. The increased violence was actually used really well (a lot of the story is about how waging a futile war for so long has turned him into a ragged and empty person a la Mad Max and him dealing with actually killing someone after so long slaughtering nothing but robots and monsters), everything involving the creepy romance​ between Jack and what is effectively a brainwashed child who is obsessed with him is awful even before you consider the fact that her design has popped up in almost every other Genndy Tartakovsky show so he obviously is into it.

I'm just finishing up the season now, and yeah the romance feels shoehorned in, but she's a child? They never give her age, just a training montage as she grows.

I mean 50 years have passed and Jack stopped aging after he went to the future. If she's supposed to be a kid, yeah that's creepy, but it never crossed my mind.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Darthemed posted:

The theater near my college played the trailer for this in front of almost every movie from 2005-06 or so. Practically had the whole thing memorized by the time the movie came out (not that I ever saw it).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She's supposed to be 18 I think, but they show that because of only being raised to kill Jack, she has the emotional maturity of a child.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

New Samurai Jack was mostly great, except for how they wrapped up the ending. Last two episodes the pace really picks up, as if they were suddenly told they'd only get 10 episodes instead of a promised 13. The ending felt like a giant gently caress you to all the fans too, I hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jigsaw wants your blood (to be donated to the blood bank).