Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Nah for the middle of the case you're turning knobs , pushing syringes already screwed into ports and charting. Gloveless activity.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Oh gently caress me. I do loving anesthesia for a living and I just realized new iPhone X won’t work with a surgical mask for Face ID garbage. I should just get the drat 8+.

Oh no, you can't use your face to unlock your crosswords and sudoku at work! ]

Only ever had one egregious experience on the other side of things with someone so entranced by their phone that it took multiple people to get their attention, but that was a CRNA, not an anesthesiologist.

Edit: poo poo, for some reason I thought this was Fuzz, not Bum the Sad

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
[quote="“the truth”" post="“476692227”"]
Oh no, you can’t use your face to unlock your crosswords and sudoku at work! ]

Only ever had one egregious experience on the other side of things with someone so entranced by their phone that it took multiple people to get their attention, but that was a CRNA, not an anesthesiologist.

[/quote]
You're lucky. If it was an anesthesiologist he probably wouldn't have even been in the room.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm not going to lie - even with the dumb notch i probably would have gotten the X if it had Touch ID on the back but gently caress having to use face id as the only form of getting into the phone other than a passcode (what is this, 2008?). I didn't even think about having your face obscured for work or because or religion. I really wish they just out all of the other upgrades into the 8/+ but now they have two dumb phones with problems. One being that it didn't get all of the updated features and the other than it has a stupid notch that covers part of the screen and that you can't reliably get into your phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You can reliably get into the phone. Just saying.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I posted that link about masks not working from an iPad. It is is amusing to me that autocorrect knew how to spell Craig's last name. I don't think I've ever spelt it before and typing on this keyboard, I am reluctant to even make the attempt. One of the benefits of being on the leadership team of one of the biggest phone makers in the world is you get your name hardcoded in the dictionary I guess.

I wonder how far down the org chart that particular privilege extends.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't remember, were people moaning about how awful touchid would be and how many problems it would have before it came out?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I recall it being 50/50. There were some laughs over people figuring out what body parts you could touchid with too. Some people were "woah cool!" and others were "ughhh security concerns!!!"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

withak posted:

I can't remember, were people moaning about how awful touchid would be and how many problems it would have before it came out?

TouchID was an all new thing, so there was a lot more unknowns (mostly re: security) though people were wowed by the demo.

Facial recognition, however the underlying tech works, is widely ignored as an option on the phones that currently support it because holding your phone so it can see your face is janky and awkward, meaning people use pins most times instead.
Facial recognition is a known-entity and its bad, so fewer people are interested or excited in seeing it in person.

Sony must have a patent on side-button fingerprint scanners or something, because that would have been a no-brainer.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Khablam posted:

TouchID was an all new thing, so there was a lot more unknowns (mostly re: security) though people were wowed by the demo.

Facial recognition, however the underlying tech works, is widely ignored as an option on the phones that currently support it because holding your phone so it can see your face is janky and awkward, meaning people use pins most times instead.
Facial recognition is a known-entity and its bad, so fewer people are interested or excited in seeing it in person.

Sony must have a patent on side-button fingerprint scanners or something, because that would have been a no-brainer.

Yeah that's the thing I miss most about my Sony, it was the smartest and most intuitive place anyone has put the fingerprint scanner and it amazes me that nobody else does it. It's perfect to use with either hand and works brilliantly.

Looking forward to facial ID, I don't really care about this for the security, I just like new features :)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I heard that the only reason they didn't do Touch ID on the back of the iPhone X was because they couldn't make it work. The thing is that when Touch ID came out, people were used to putting in passcodes and if it didn't work then whatever. I don't remember anywhere near the level of scrutiny when it came out that face id is getting now because we are all used to opening our phones super quick and super easy and now they want us to point it at our faces or "just use your passcode as a backup!" and I need to open my phone sometimes without looking at it which means not entering a passcode.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sorry for the double post but on another topic, how many of you guys have tried wireless charging? It seemed like a neat gimmick but I just same day ordered a third party quick charger and being able to get half my battery back in half an hour is way too good to ever be loving with some wireless charging pad that is even slower than standard charging. I am concerned about battery life in the long run since I read easy reports of battery life being shortened by quick charging but that was not even with an iPhone and I forget where it was. I will have to do some research but as long as I am not damaging the life of the battery further down the line then I am quick charging all the way except for overnight when it doesn't matter. Which equally doesn't matter if it is on a wireless charging pad overnight.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

Something might be wrong with your charging case. Mine charges plenty fast even plugged into my monitor's USB hub.

That's very possible. But the probability of Apple being a dick about these loving lightning cables is not insignificant.

Otherwise the charging case is the tits. I leave one AirPod in my left ear at work and occasionally need to give it a power bump, but I've only had a low battery warning once. It's a real nice setup.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It's funny, before I had a phone with Touch ID, entering a passcode a hundred times a day didn't bother me at all, but now if I have to do it even once I'm like UUUUUGGGHHHHHHH.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I backed up and erased my phone then got to do the cool new thing of bringing it near my ios11 iPad and restoring from the backup but now my phone keeps rejecting my password.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If anyone wants to save a few bucks on Apple Music, Amazon is currently selling $100 iTunes cards for $85. You can get a year-long Apple Music sub for $99. $7/mo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

GoldfishStew posted:

I backed up and erased my phone then got to do the cool new thing of bringing it near my ios11 iPad and restoring from the backup but now my phone keeps rejecting my password.

I noticed that my iphone backup password was a really old itunes password, took me a couple tries, was in full panic for a second. When you set that password it never updates with your itunes/apple ID password. Just FYI in case you're a dumb like me :downs:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I mean like after it has been restored and just trying to unlock it from the lock screen. Unless on that screen it's actually been asking me for a password different than my iPhone pass?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Weedle posted:

It's funny, before I had a phone with Touch ID, entering a passcode a hundred times a day didn't bother me at all, but now if I have to do it even once I'm like UUUUUGGGHHHHHHH.

I had a Lumia 950 that had iris recognition and the passcode. I mean it was nice to not to have to enter the passcode but sometimes you did and no big deal. But its expectations. With touchID its rad but when you're in a hurry or your finger is damp then it doesn't work and what's frustrating is it doesn't immediately give you the pin option. After a bit we'll all be used to the new Apple future. :wom:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

GoldfishStew posted:

I mean like after it has been restored and just trying to unlock it from the lock screen. Unless on that screen it's actually been asking me for a password different than my iPhone pass?

nvm I misunderstood

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Do you need an Apple TV for screen mirroring or can I get an app on my Samsung smart tv to do it? Or Plex or something like that?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Are there details on the new restore ability that's phone to phone? Like what gets pulled across and the like? Is it something you'd be able to do in the Store before turning in an old phone under AUP?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It transfers everything, as far as I could tell, except your Touch ID prints and I had to do the “Siri training” thing again later. I didn’t time it but remember thinking “drat that was fast”. Seemed like I didn’t have to re-download apps, either, but I wasn’t paying attention.

Wait, I had to sign back in to my gmail account, and I didn’t look at my photos for about half a day so not sure about those.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 24, 2017

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Khablam posted:

Sony ships phones in the US with the sensor disabled for reasons.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are the one day prime Apple Leather cases on amazon likely to be legit?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

teacup posted:

Do you need an Apple TV for screen mirroring or can I get an app on my Samsung smart tv to do it? Or Plex or something like that?

Apple TV

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’m still having trouble downloading any apps on my phone. 90% of the time the icon will just spin without anything happening, and then revert back to “get” after three minutes or so. I’m in talks with Apple support over twitter, but this is seriously starting to piss me off.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

[quote="“ulvir”" post="“476707513”"]
I’m still having trouble downloading any apps on my phone. 90% of the time the icon will just spin without anything happening, and then revert back to “get” after three minutes or so. I’m in talks with Apple support over twitter, but this is seriously starting to piss me off.
[/quote]

When that happened to me I had to log back in to iTunes and iCloud on my PC then it worked.

Is there a way to turn off the beep when changing songs? I'm using amazon music and a BT headset. Every song change is preceded by a beep. This skits started with iOS 11.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It transfers everything, as far as I could tell, except your Touch ID prints and I had to do the “Siri training” thing again later. I didn’t time it but remember thinking “drat that was fast”. Seemed like I didn’t have to re-download apps, either, but I wasn’t paying attention.

Wait, I had to sign back in to my gmail account, and I didn’t look at my photos for about half a day so not sure about those.

Found this MacRumors article that talks about the iOS 11 Automatic Setup feature. Also an Apple knowledge base article which says:

quote:

Automatic Setup signs you in to iCloud, Keychain, iTunes, App Store, iMessage, and FaceTime with your Apple ID
Automatic Setup restores device settings including language, region, network, keyboard preferences, places you frequently visit, how you talk to Siri, home and health data

So probably still want to do a normal backup restore, but it gets you out the door with something useful more quickly. Probably especially useful for Wi-Fi iPads where you would need to use public Wi-Fi or enter a Wi-Fi password in order to get the iCloud Keychain synced with all the other Wi-Fi passwords, where an iPhone or cellular iPad could sync that via cellular.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

When that happened to me I had to log back in to iTunes and iCloud on my PC then it worked.

Would I have to log out on both my MacBook air and desktop PC?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got that wireless charger from amazon that was linked up thread.

Wireless charging is pretty awesome.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

ulvir posted:

Would I have to log out on both my MacBook air and desktop PC?

Not sure. Try both 🤷‍♂️

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I got this wireless charger from amazon. So far so good.

yootech usb c connector Qi charger

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Here we go, I just got my 8+ set up and am in the process of transferring everything from my old Moto X 2nd gen, all that fun stuff.

As someone who hasn't used iOS in years and has never owned an iPhone, is there a way to set cellular data limits? I found that very helpful with Android, in case I started streaming audio and didn't realize I wasn't connected to wifi,etc.

Also,what was the non-garbage password manager that was recommended somewhere in the last 5-50 pages? I wasn't able to find it after a few minutes of quick searching.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If anyone wants to save a few bucks on Apple Music, Amazon is currently selling $100 iTunes cards for $85. You can get a year-long Apple Music sub for $99. $7/mo.

Sweet, thanks. Been trying to avoid turning on family sharing for just two people to save money on Apple Music and this is even cheaper.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

The Science Goy posted:

Here we go, I just got my 8+ set up and am in the process of transferring everything from my old Moto X 2nd gen, all that fun stuff.

As someone who hasn't used iOS in years and has never owned an iPhone, is there a way to set cellular data limits? I found that very helpful with Android, in case I started streaming audio and didn't realize I wasn't connected to wifi,etc.

Also,what was the non-garbage password manager that was recommended somewhere in the last 5-50 pages? I wasn't able to find it after a few minutes of quick searching.

Yep, if you go to Settings->Cellular you can get pretty granular about what apps are allowed to use cellular data.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Science Goy posted:

1Password works well on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac. There is no Linux client.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Why not just use the Apple password system unless the iPhone is your only Apple product?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Why not just use the Apple password system unless the iPhone is your only Apple product?

Because I use Windows as well and password managers are about a million times better than iCloud Keychain. 1Password can store credit cards, identities, encrypted notes, generate strong passwords for you, the library is easy to navigate (Keychain Access is a pile of crap), and does iCloud Keychain even work in 3rd party apps with a login screen on macOS (that don't have keychain integration)?

It's nice to sync WiFi passwords across my Apple devices but I can't see it being a viable solution for most people vs. a good password manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I went with a 128GB 7+ in the end, and coming from years and years of Android, so far I absolutely love it.