Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I rewatched Guardians 2 last night. I forgot how much Ego's planet resembled the Land of Oz. Nice allusion that suggests not everything is as it seems.

The scene where Ego is teaching Peter how to harness energy looks so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mother Boxes are basically the smartphones/swiss army knives of the gods. Really, that's possibly the best analogy. They're practically sentient, or at least extremely aware of their surroundings and generally know better than most of their users do as to what they should do to be helpful.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mother of dumb macguffins.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A motherbox is basically Siri but useful.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So if the motherboxes were left on Earth like thousands of years ago or whatever (or hundreds?) wouldn't that mean that the mother boxes on Earth are like really really old designs? I imagine that whoever makes mother boxes would have a much more advanced one after that much time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So if the motherboxes were left on Earth like thousands of years ago or whatever (or hundreds?) wouldn't that mean that the mother boxes on Earth are like really really old designs? I imagine that whoever makes mother boxes would have a much more advanced one after that much time.

who says the motherboxes were made by a person? and if they were, who says that person is still around?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The motherboxes are literally :technobabble: brought to life.

In the comics, they are computers that figure out how to revive the dead, go back in time, make people immortal, tereaform planets, turn people into robots, turn robots into people, have access to information about time periods when no life existed, and basically "whatever the writer really needs it to do."

euphronius posted:

So infinity stones ok. That's what I thought .

They're ancient items of cosmic-level power and the bad guys need to collect x number of them that are on earth and are protected by/incorporated into members of the superhero team so the heroes must stop them from falling into the wrong hands at all costs.

So no, they're not infinity stones, there's no resemblance at all. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're ancient items of cosmic-level power and the bad guys need to collect x number of them that are on earth and are protected by/incorporated into members of the superhero team so the heroes must stop them from falling into the wrong hands at all costs.

So no, they're not infinity stones, there's no resemblance at all. :colbert:

Oh, so they're dragon balls!

They've kinda made the Mother Boxes more important than their original intent over the past few years. They were kinda just things New God characters used, mostly to open boom tubes and travel from end to end of the universe. And they'd get destroyed from time to time too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brother Entropy posted:

who says the motherboxes were made by a person? and if they were, who says that person is still around?

It's just hyper advanced technology

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They're plot coupons, the shiny things vaguely yet critically important to the plot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Interesting continuation of the motherhood motif from Beavis.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Collect all the power ups and then beat the game

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Collect all the power ups and then beat the game

Justice League is an action movie based on actual Gotham history. Stages of the movie are based on battles that actually took place in Gotham. So here's this giant enemy parademon. You attack its Motherbox for massive damage....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

Justice League is an action movie based on actual Gotham history. Stages of the movie are based on battles that actually took place in Gotham. So here's this giant enemy parademon. You attack its Motherbox for massive damage....

One
MILLION
Demons

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

K. Waste posted:

Interesting continuation of the motherhood motif from Beavis.

"Your motherbox is named Martha?! My motherbox's name is Martha too!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

graham cracker posted:

"Save Jon!"
"Did you say 'Save Tom'?"
"Close enough."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
"So where did Cyborg come from?"
"Some mother's box."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Darkseid returns to Earth to reclaim ancient artifacts of power: the Atari Jaguar, the Commodore 64, and the NES.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkseid returns to Earth to reclaim ancient artifacts of power: the Atari Jaguar, the Commodore 64, and the NES.

The Justice League only has one hope, but will its blast processing be enough??

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can't wait to see how they use Mode 7.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

graham cracker posted:

In JL we'll find out they were originally called Marthaboxes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Remember that episode of Smallville where Lionel Luthor was trying to get the Marthabox?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maybe modern Motherboxes have nerfed safety features and everybody wants the OG unlocked models that let you do whatever

Mr. Apollo posted:

Marthaboxes.

lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Darkseid needs a very specific old 5100 model Motherbox to debug certain legacy programs his hell-empire relies on.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Marthaboxes have the wrong type of RAM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hollywood Reporter is confirming that all the Lex Luthor and Iris West scenes in Justice League have been cut.

So, those spoilered scenes/plot points from test screenings are probably accurate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That loving sucks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RBA Starblade posted:

One
MILLION
Demons

Reach Apokolips through violence?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That loving sucks

People complain that the Marvel movies have too many characters, so DC cutting a bunch out is probably a good thing. Besides, was any really excited for Iris West?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Only if Candice Patton is playing her cause she's hot as hell.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hollywood Reporter is confirming that all the Lex Luthor and Iris West scenes in Justice League have been cut.

So, those spoilered scenes/plot points from test screenings are probably accurate.

They did? I'm not finding anything at the site.

Anyways, Darren Aronofski is still interested on making a Superman film

quote:

During a recent interview with CinePop, Aronofsky was asked if he’d like to direct a superhero movie one day. He once again expressed his interest in Superman, though he seemed doubtful that he’d get the job any time soon.

“I mean, you know, Superman would always be interesting,” Aronofsky explained. “But they’re already deep into reinventing him, so that’s not going to happen for a long time.”

https://batman-news.com/2017/09/24/darren-aronofsky-man-of-steel-superman/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They did? I'm not finding anything at the site.

Anyways, Darren Aronofski is still interested on making a Superman film

https://batman-news.com/2017/09/24/darren-aronofsky-man-of-steel-superman/

Eh, there's time. Both Bats and Spider-Man have been rebooted. And I say with Matthew Vaughn wanting to make a Superman movie, what DC should do is just let everyone who wants to do one, do one. Have 3 different Superman movies out there. Hell, they've already have a different Superman and Batman between TV and the films.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After watching Aronofsky stumble through two dreadful hot takes on religion, no, no i dont want to ever watch his superman.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

what DC should do is just let everyone who wants to do one, do one. Have 3 different Superman movies out there.

Why stop at 3? Have a hundred Supermans and then edit them together like The Aristocrats

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

After watching Aronofsky stumble through two dreadful hot takes on religion, no, no i dont want to ever watch his superman.

poo poo, I'm loving tired of these writers/directors who think the Superman-is-Jesus allegory is so loving clever and original. It's like the single most boring take you could make on the character.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's really weird to cut Lex Luthor. He made the phone call to Apokolips in the first place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

poo poo, I'm loving tired of these writers/directors who think the Superman-is-Jesus allegory is so loving clever and original. It's like the single most boring take you could make on the character.

So you imagine that the writers/directors think that he allegory is clever and original, because Jesus is obviously so old and boring so they should know better. In reality it's just some nerds that find Christianity embarrassing.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 25, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Was it ever explained how Lex contacted Steppenwolf? Did he know about Apokolips before learning of the 100,000 worlds from the scout ship computer or was that how he found out?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Was it ever explained how Lex contacted Steppenwolf? Did he know about Apokolips before learning of the 100,000 worlds from the scout ship computer or was that how he found out?

He took a Magic Carpet Ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MonsieurChoc posted:

He took a Magic Carpet Ride.
:haw:

• Locked thread