Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Idle question since I'm not buying, but can somebody explain the BMW model nomenclature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AFAIK f bikes are the smaller models which used to all be singles (and sometimes flat twins) but are now an incomprehensible mess of different displacement/output parallel twins similar to the clusterfuck their car model range has become.

R bikes are all flat twins.

K bikes are the inline 4 and 6 cylinder bikes.

S bikes are the litrebike models.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

R-Type posted:

Yeah, gently caress you BMW, your bikes are like your cars - nice, pretty, lots of buttans, but always miss the mark on performance. Besides, you can find a GII ZX14 and Busa right now for $3 to 5K cheaper everywhere, have more stock HP than the K with bolt-ons, and forgo the hand-heaters. Ugh.

Oh look, multiple paragraphs of unintelligible gobbledygook. :rolleyes:

The K bikes aren't supposed to compete with supersports like a GSXR 1300 or ZX-14. They're mostly touring bikes for middle aged dentists, not track day toys. They compete against Goldwings, C-14s, and FJR1300s.

If you want a BMW that can hang with supersports, get an S1000RR, which does have near as makes no difference 200 HP, and also weighs a lot less than a lot of other liter SS's, in addition to having better brakes and suspension than quite a few competitors. It's got plenty of WSBK wins to back it up, too.

They do just fine in performance, on their performance oriented bikes, thanks.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
BMW strikes me as a little more realistic; their bikes perform, but they know you're not really going to be chasing a Hayabusa at criminal speeds nearly as often as you're going to appreciate heated grips or technical toys.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The big 4 banger bimmers are loving nothing like the japanese hypertourers, they just look similar on paper. They're like ultra luxury couches that can go really loving fast (and corner mind-bogglingly well), as opposed to the japanese method of making a 12:10 scale sportbike and throwing heated grips and a nice seat at it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep. And the weird fork separates steering and suspension which seems to help reduce fatigue for long days.

I think the onboard fun police steps in a little early though. I know you can turn it off, but ugh, buttons.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

AFAIK f bikes are the smaller models which used to all be singles (and sometimes flat twins) but are now an incomprehensible mess of different displacement/output parallel twins similar to the clusterfuck their car model range has become.

R bikes are all flat twins.

K bikes are the inline 4 and 6 cylinder bikes.

S bikes are the litrebike models.
F bikes were singles but are now twins. G bikes are singles. K bikes were also inline triples at one point too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

K bikes were also inline triples at one point too.

:psyboom:

e: I've also seen something badged as an F850 from the late 90's/early 00's and it was a flat twin no frills naked thing.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 18, 2017

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

They're like ultra luxury couches that can go really loving fast (and corner mind-bogglingly well),

This is a pretty accurate description of Goldwings. They handle way better than they have any right to, for how massive they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I'm less interested in the engine config and more on the suffix and usage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So you're less interested what engine they have and more interested in the thing that tells you what engine they have? What?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Slavvy posted:

So you're less interested what engine they have and more interested in the thing that tells you what engine they have? What?
S/K/G/F are prefix. Suffix is the RS/RR/B/GTL/RT/R/(G/S)/whatever part
Like, S1000R / S1000RR / S1000XR name wise don't seem that different, but appearance and function they are totally different. So how does BMW use those suffixes?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ilkhan posted:

Like, S1000R / S1000RR / S1000XR name wise don't seem that different, but appearance and function they are totally different. So how does BMW use those suffixes?

Those are marketing letters that make you spend more to buy more cool sounding letters and numbers than your friends.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spouse posted:

Those are marketing letters that make you spend more to buy more cool sounding letters and numbers than your friends.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My girlfriend wants to get her motorcycle license over the winter (she already took one lesson just to try out riding) and last saturday we swung by a dealer to look at some bikes. Anyway we're basically looking for a mid-displacement sport-touring-ish bikes, naked bikes that are large enough for her are generally too powerful in my opinion. Not in the opinion of the salesman though, who immediately tried to sell her on a Z900, because "you don't want the same boring bike you'll have taken your lessons on, right?". Anyway I'm thinking we'll end up with a Versys 650 or something similar, maybe a Bandit (which breaks Lemmy's 4cyl rule) but the naked ones are all rather old.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ilkhan posted:

RS usually has a bikini fairing and a roadster tail, roadster sport or something
RT roadster tour bikini fairing with luggage
RR race replica
GT Grand tour
GTL Grand tour luxury
GS gelande-strasse for on and off road
R "single R" roadster naked
S sport
ST sport tour
B bagger like a Harley

High Protein posted:

My girlfriend wants to get her motorcycle license over the winter (she already took one lesson just to try out riding) and last saturday we swung by a dealer to look at some bikes. Anyway we're basically looking for a mid-displacement sport-touring-ish bikes, naked bikes that are large enough for her are generally too powerful in my opinion. Not in the opinion of the salesman though, who immediately tried to sell her on a Z900, because "you don't want the same boring bike you'll have taken your lessons on, right?". Anyway I'm thinking we'll end up with a Versys 650 or something similar, maybe a Bandit (which breaks Lemmy's 4cyl rule) but the naked ones are all rather old.

XB9 and use ecmspy to lower the rev limiter to limit power

The salesman tried to sell my wife a Brutale because "passion and feeling". Obviously that means nothing to her because she still has that R1150.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 18, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

High Protein posted:

Versys 650 would seem like a good option. Or a CBR500?

clutchpuck posted:

RS usually has a bikini fairing and a roadster tail, roadster sport or something
RR race replica
GT Grand tour
GTL Grand tour luxury
S sport
ST sport tour
B bagger like a Harley
Thank you!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I sat on the R-nineT and a couple of the lower BMW bikes they had at the dealer a month or so ago. They felt nice in person. I might want to test ride some other bikes in the spring.
I was thinking down the line of getting something for longer rides and keeping the Guzzi for the kind of thing you ride to a bike night or whatever. I'm a shorter person though, so I either need something decently low (or just more experience). Though having the center of gravity down lower really makes a bike feel a lot lighter.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

RR race replica
GT Grand tour
GTL Grand tour luxury
S sport
ST sport tour
B bagger like a Harley

"bikini fairing" on the RT is kinda misleading. I guess technically it's a bikini fairing because there's no lowers covering the cylinder heads, but in practice it's a fully faired luxo-tourer that's much smaller and lighter than the GT

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Versys 650 would seem like a good option. Or a CBR500?

Yeah alternatives would be the Tracer 700 or CBR500X and she did also like the look of the NC750X but that ain't a Real Bike. And she would prefer the bike not to have a beak :swoon:

I rode a Versys 650 for a couple of hundred kms last year and it really did surprise me with how fun it was to ride. Also easy to find 2nd hand.

clutchpuck posted:

XB9 and use ecmspy to lower the rev limiter to limit power

Haha I already told her my Buell stories so that isn't going to happen.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uh, how big is she that a used Ninja 250 to learn the basics on for a while isn't an option?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

RR race replica
GT Grand tour
GTL Grand tour luxury
S sport
ST sport tour
B bagger like a Harley
RS is sport touring
RT is touring touring
XR is the GS version of the S1000, dunno why they didn't just call it GS
GT and GTL are kinda sport touring, used on the larger K bikes, the GTL is only on the K1600
ST was a particular model which was sport touring with a weird fairing and it was short lived
B doesn't exist
C means like a Harley, they only made one bike with a C and it didn't sell for poo poo because it was awful
LT was the biggest luxury touring model they made for a long time, it was a K bike
SS is only used on the S1000

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
B does exist now, the K1600B bagger (K1600GT with a lower rear end and new bags)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

LT was the biggest luxury touring model they made for a long time, it was a K bike

R1150LT

So, so ugly.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PCOS Bill posted:

Uh, how big is she that a used Ninja 250 to learn the basics on for a while isn't an option?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

primitive posted:

Thinking of trading my Triumph Tiger 800 XRT in on a BMW R1200GS

Is this a good idea, or am I being mental?

Also, the dealership has a used S1000XR for the same money as the used R1200 I'm peeping... I'm pretty sure that's basically suicidal, but I'll take it for a test drive anyway

Ok so we took a ride out of London on a GS, and back in on the GSA

Thoughts:

- The Tiger 800 actually feels heavier than the R1200GS, and even the GSA. I think this is down to the top-heavy engine placement and slightly narrower bars.

- I like the OEM heated seats on the Tiger, but the BMW grip heaters poo poo all over the equivalent Triumph equipment

- Even though the GS is heavier, I felt like I had more control when lane splitting at slow speeds (probably due to the lower CoG)

- On the Tiger, it's not comfortable to grip the tank with your knees, it looks like Triumph picked random fairing pieces out of a box and glued them in that area. But you can kind of hook your knees in and get a good grip. On the GS, it's much more sculpted and comfy, but not so grippy.

- The GS technically has 30 more HP, but I never really felt it.

- The huge tank of the GSA looks retarded off the bike but when you're on the bike you can't tell. The only equipment on the GSA that I felt like I cared about was the factory crash protection.

- the auto levelling suspension on the GS is cool and good. The manual switching on the GSA is kind of dumb in comparison

The GS won the day for me, but I can see the argument for the GSA as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
XR is "Adventure Sport" - it's absolutely not a dual use bike. Jumping it would be hilarious murder on everything, and the first big rock climb would scrape off your drain plug.

But also it's the best street do it all bike ever made so it's got that going for it. Long days short days track riding twisty roads 2 up whatever you want it'll do it and do it drat well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disclaimer: the best bike in the world is always the bike z3n owns right now.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Probably why I'm getting the impression a superduke is no longer the best bike in the world.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The best bike in the world, is the one(s) you own

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

A tad over 6 feet but with how stringent the licensing test is here I feel a ~70HP bike wouldn't be misplaced. Also the Ninja 250 doesn't exist here as far as I can tell.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

High Protein posted:

Also the Ninja 250 doesn't exist here as far as I can tell.
do what now

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

R1150LT

So, so ugly.
That's an R1200CLC. It was based on the 1100/1150 (oilhead) motor but bored out to 1200 and given a single throttle body. Different from the later R1200 (hex head) motors.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What's the difference in suspension travel and feel between a vstrom 650 and an sv650?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

i'm personally looking forward to advocating for touring on a trials bike soon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The internet seems to suggest the Vstrom has between 5.9 and 6.3 inches of travel.

The internet also suggests the sv has 4 inches of travel.

Who knows for sure though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I know the sv has kidney punching ride willing.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The internet seems to suggest the Vstrom has between 5.9 and 6.3 inches of travel.

The internet also suggests the sv has 4 inches of travel.

Who knows for sure though.

Not mentioned: the SV suspension is made out of ramen noodles, so the travel is essentially irrelevant because you can bottom it out slowing at a stoplight in normal traffic

So I've made a good choice / bad choice, traded the Tiger in on a 2018 R1200GS Rallye with the TFT dash, pics coming when I take delivery

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

i'm personally looking forward to advocating for touring on a trials bike soon

No need for any bitch rear end screens and fairings when you top out at 40km!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

[quote="“Slavvy”" post="“476726780”"]
No need for any bitch rear end screens and fairings when you top out at 40km!
[/quote]

you don't bunny hop potholes? what are you, a scrub?