Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The article makes it sound like an entire medical team prepared the surgery in detail, including measuring all the distances and angles needed and programming the sequence of steps, then stood back and watched while the robot followed the instructions to the letter. I'm having a hard time seeing how this process would help with either the shortage of dentists of the backlog of patients (400 years worth lmao).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Coolguye posted:

it's insanely funny to me to hear about the 'tiger mothers' that push their kids so hard to achieve. you hear so much about this is why china is going to beat the united states because this is the NORM for their country. then someone actually goes through the sociological data and can actually show that not only is this not correct, the reality is almost the exact opposite where an entire class of chinese kids are raised to be nonfunctional Huxleylike Epsilons from the word go, you're the racist for bringing it up because ???????

then you're a double racist when you point out the kids of tiger moms tend to kill themselves either literally or figuratively with drugs and alcohol because as it turns out emotionally torturing your children because they didn't get some arbitrary score on a test isn't a great way to prepare them for living.

A lot of people in America have this idea that if they could just force themselves to study all day, deprive themselves of pleasure, etc etc they would be successful. So when they see people in a far off, foreign place actually doing this stupid idea, they imagine that they're all super-geniuses. Sad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are a lot of dentists in China who have literally zero education whatsoever about dentistry so a robot can't be any worse. Like becoming a "black dentist" is a common next step for people who get tired of being barbers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Out of the way losers it's time for FASHION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjL-3Rlwh8U

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
As I wander around Melbourne, I wonder why they decided to crawl through charity shops, wearing whatever attached to them, proudly stating 'this is how I want to display myself to the world'.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Velisarius posted:

As I wander around Melbourne, I wonder why they decided to crawl through charity shops, wearing whatever attached to them, proudly stating 'this is how I want to display myself to the world'.

I guess you're too young to remember grunge

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Out of the way losers it's time for FASHION:

Living in China for too long has jaded me, the main thing I found remarkable about those photos of mainland fashiurn was that none of them appeared to have actually been taken in China.

It's still warm so clothing isn't too bad, but once it gets cold you see tuhao stuff like this all the time. One of the small pleasures of life here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dressing in China is simple because you just get into a closet, set off a grenade, and walk out in whatever stuck to you.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Just remember that if it's not July or August you better wear the thickest winter clothing available because anything less than 40+ means it's cold and as we all know cold weather equals having a cold.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
clearly another tragic byproduct of so many children being raised by negligent grandparents

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i love the first pic because it gives those two guys a chance to experience being a foreigner in another country while the locals blatantly photograph you as you do something mundane

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

:chanpop:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Why are all the photographs from behind? Also, the locations are pretty dull. Buying fast food, walking through a small grocery store, looking at their phone... WTF?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a lot of dentists in China who have literally zero education whatsoever about dentistry so a robot can't be any worse. Like becoming a "black dentist" is a common next step for people who get tired of being barbers.

Are these the guys working in public hospitals that charge like 30 kuai for a filling?

Because that would certainly explain the hygiene.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What I like about Mainland male fashion is also what I like about the hair cuts: Four kinds only. DO NOT STRAY FROM THIS. ONLY DO WHAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE UGLY AND COMMON.

My favorite thing about the guys in the above photos is that many of them use daddy's money to make sure to buy "authentic" versions, even though they are all still made in China. $600-1000 USD ugly shoes, $1200 USD ugly jackets, $160 USD ugly t-shirts, and a $15 USD ugly bowl cut for their heads. Don't forget the Harry Potter glasses.
I've never seen such punchable faces, but it's hilarious to me that on trash subreddits like r/streetwear they idolize generic "I wear sporty clothes but am infinitely far from sporty" clothing that Chinese teens wear and look stupid in.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

nickmeister posted:

Why are all the photographs from behind? Also, the locations are pretty dull. Buying fast food, walking through a small grocery store, looking at their phone... WTF?

he's posting funny pictures of bad fashion choices, not a submission to an art gallery

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Those jackets are pretty tame compared to what my students used to wear. One kid came to school last year with a shirt that said WHAT IF WE hosed AT THIS VOGUE PARTY. Another managed to find and purchase pants with "baka" all over them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Are these the guys working in public hospitals that charge like 30 kuai for a filling?

Because that would certainly explain the hygiene.

From the podcast I listened to about it they usually just work out in the street or maybe in an apartment. The guys at hospitals are the legit ones. :eyepop:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
To be fair, apart from the Nurglesque levels of hygiene, the experience with those guys beats everything I've encountered in the US.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My current dentist is trilingual and a dead ringer for Penelope Cruz. I saw her six months after a Korean dentist told me I had seven cavities (I KNEW I didn't, but...). She gave me an X-ray and told me that my teeth were perfect.

Come to Spain for all your dental needs.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
when you'd rather get into an accident than dare let someone in your lane

https://my.mixtape.moe/mzqfeg.mp4

chinese hair cave
Aug 23, 2017

by Cyrano4747
First day in China.

We were at a shop and some guy just loving drives his scooter into the store. Like he drove it through the doors into the shop. The clerk and him exchange some words. I think I heard “no why” somewhere. We were at the hotel and my group wanted to take the stairs because I said a Chinese elevator has no safety regulations.

Other than that, this place owns. Imagine an America where you can just drive your vehicles into shops.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The one thing I notice about mainlander fashion here at tourist sites in Europe is the BRIGHT FLUORESCENT CLOTHING. Not all of them wear it, but you can always spot a mainlander group from hundreds of metres away because half of them look like they just climbed out of a highlighter commercial

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

big time bisexual posted:

I'm the red tassels of the dinner plate sized good luck charm dangling from the rearview mirror, blocking both the dashcam and the driver's view out the front window.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

big time bisexual posted:

Why not just use your horn? I thought mainlanders loved 熱鬧.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nickmeister posted:

Why not just use your horn? I thought mainlanders loved 熱鬧.

he did after the collision lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

webmeister posted:

The one thing I notice about mainlander fashion here at tourist sites in Europe is the BRIGHT FLUORESCENT CLOTHING. Not all of them wear it, but you can always spot a mainlander group from hundreds of metres away because half of them look like they just climbed out of a highlighter commercial

If it's all fluorescent hiking gear they're Koreans, though.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

If it's all fluorescent hiking gear they're Koreans, though.

splitting hairs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ladron posted:

splitting hairs

...is it?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

pretty much?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Huzhou would be one of my favorite places ever but for 4 things:
People drive like assholes here. Like even for China, the rear end in a top hat driver level is atrocious.
The air quality, while good for China, is still poo poo.
There are hardly any muslims here, which means no halal food, which means the safest way to eat in China ain't happening.
They speak an obscure local dialect which is not mutually intelligible with putonghua, and which I have basically no hope of learning. And their Putonghua accent is hard to get used to.

The food thing bothers me; but the drivers really get under my skin. Like any time I step off the sidewalk (or walk on a sidewalk not lined with bollards, trees, or some other barrier) I am gripped by fear, eyes darting around like a meerkat. And all because maybe 20 percent of the drivers can't be hosed to follow the lines on the road, yield to anyone or anything, or slow down a little around pedestrians. The only good thing about Huzhou traffic is the number of traffic cops in this town and the frequency with which I see them doing their job (though it doesn't seem to be helping).

chinese hair cave posted:

We were at a shop and some guy just loving drives his scooter into the store. Like he drove it through the doors into the shop. The clerk and him exchange some words. I think I heard “no why” somewhere. We were at the hotel and my group wanted to take the stairs because I said a Chinese elevator has no safety regulations.

The elevators in my building have inspection tags in them. I'll tell you if that weird sound the one on the right makes when it gets to the 3rd floor is fixed after the next inspection is due. I think that'll tell us whether you're right about that.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 25, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://twitter.com/0xdedbeef/status/912026226658652160

This surveillance thing has a lot of classes written in mandarin, can anyone sus our what the classifiers say?

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

https://twitter.com/0xdedbeef/status/912026226658652160

This surveillance thing has a lot of classes written in mandarin, can anyone sus our what the classifiers say?
It's not really doing anything other than labeling things, but white people are freaking out over it. OMG, it's labeling the SUV as an SUV!
Face swap software on the phone is better.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bajaj posted:

It's not really doing anything other than labeling things, but white people are freaking out over it. OMG, it's labeling the SUV as an SUV!
Face swap software on the phone is better.

it needs some randomly generated flavor text like the profiler in Watch Dogs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LentThem posted:

it needs some randomly generated flavor text like the profiler in Watch Dogs

"Shits in the street"

"Black Market Dentist"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Black Market Dentist would be an awesome movie.

"Leo is an unemployed 20-something living with his parents in a one-bedroom apartment in Chongqing. His life is playing phone games and yelling a lot, until one day, a magical pair of pruning shears falls into his lap..."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Dad's pretty well-muscled for a Chinese dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I went to the eye doctor the other day. Hadn't been in ages, my eyes have been bothering me...nothing wrong, probably just my glasses being too old and scratched, or maybe my eyes being too old.

Anyway, they were looking at the inside of my eye, and the lady called over another eye doctor to look at me. My wife explained to me what they were so interested in. There wasn't anything wrong, they were just fascinated that with my blue eyes it was so much easier to see...I'm not entirely sure what, something back there on my retinas. Maybe the blood vessel pattern? Anyway, apparently they saw someone else earlier with light eyes who they were convinced had some sort of eye illness, and she was thinking maybe she'd been wrong. I guess she'd never actually seen anyone who didn't have dark brown eyes before.

• Locked thread