Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

S0 barely lasts a marathon with the workout app. But what in the world would you need LTE for during a marathon anyway? Time to catch up on those important calls?

So I can track the person I'm buying it for while they run and meet up with them afterward.

Also these:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Okay so how about wanting to get notifications without hauling your phone along?
Text messages?
How about wanting to track your run and then make a phone call when you're done to decide where to meet.

Again, no stretch of the imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Frabba posted:

My S3 really does not want to restore the backup from my S0.

Got tired of fighting the software and just set up my S3 as a new watch entirely. Doesn't seem like a huge deal since all the stuff I care about lives on my phone. I was worried I might lose my activity stuff but very happy that wasn't the case.

Now I need to go swimming or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Frabba posted:

Got tired of fighting the software and just set up my S3 as a new watch entirely. Doesn't seem like a huge deal since all the stuff I care about lives on my phone. I was worried I might lose my activity stuff but very happy that wasn't the case.

Now I need to go swimming or something.

My s3 restored from my s0 backup made this morning except the activity is all wrong.

Oh well it works and I'm happy with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Went for a run just now with just the watch and AirPods. GPS tracked pace just fine and I even managed to respond to a few messages I got along the way. Holy poo poo it's loving great and I already love the little extra flair you get for meeting goals.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Went for a run just now with just the watch and AirPods. GPS tracked pace just fine and I even managed to respond to a few messages I got along the way. Holy poo poo it's loving great and I already love the little extra flair you get for meeting goals.

Sweet. Mine is arriving next week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Addendum to that post: I'm switching the GPS tracking from fine to "eh, close enough". The pace ended up looking right but looking on runkeeper and comparing the track vs the route I took and you can see that the watch's GPS just wobbled trying to lock in. The path it shows looks like it was bouncing left and right about 30 feet each way and it cut every corner I took by a bit. So yeah, they can probably try to dial that in a bit more but I imagine that's more of a refresh/accuracy vs battery life thing they have to find a balance.

Here's a snipped from the website:

I ran on that concrete path. GPS is about 30' from it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 23, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have battery problems after the update? I have an S1 I think. Used to charge really fast and lose maybe 50% but the past 2 days it's been taking longer to charge and is practically dead or dying by the time I get back to the charger ~12 hours later.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Welcome to timed opalescence, bitch.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Another reason Watch os4 is a step back: I played a podcast via overcast on my phone, put it on my desk. Got into bed, wanted to turn it down, went to go to the now playing card I had set to the sidebutton, but those are gone now and your most recent apps appear instead (the overcast app appeared before I even clicked the button because now when you listen to stuff the watch intelligently puts this active) went to the overcast app, there’s no volume control.

I keep hearing this bs how watch is the new iPod but god drat have they made me have to use my phone more (whole point of me buying this was to use it less) for all things audio. loving gross.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GoldfishStew posted:

Another reason Watch os4 is a step back: I played a podcast via overcast on my phone, put it on my desk. Got into bed, wanted to turn it down, went to go to the now playing card I had set to the sidebutton, but those are gone now and your most recent apps appear instead (the overcast app appeared before I even clicked the button because now when you listen to stuff the watch intelligently puts this active) went to the overcast app, there’s no volume control.

I keep hearing this bs how watch is the new iPod but god drat have they made me have to use my phone more (whole point of me buying this was to use it less) for all things audio. loving gross.

Customize you dock to favorites instead of recently used, put now playing at the top

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GoldfishStew posted:

I sold out and switched to a face that supports the Now Playing complication. In watchOS 4, I think this covers any media playing from the phone? Either way, I disabled that poo poo that makes Now Playing auto-launch on the phone, because it's stupid and launches with web videos and ads and poo poo, and seems to persist way too long after you've stopped and closed the audio-playing app. I also don't have the Overcast app installed on the watch. End result, I can bring up Now Playing via the complication and control the playback/volume of the podcast playing through Overcast.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there a way to have the Stocks complication just rotate through the stocks you’re watching in the Stocks app? Or scroll like a ticker? Or anything more useful than just displaying one stock until you select another one in the Stocks Watch app? (Or does anyone know of a app that offers a complication with this functionality?) Seems odd that it doesn’t rotate or act as a ticker by default, just watching one stock then manually rejiggering which one is featured is kind of dumb.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

rage-saq posted:

Customize you dock to favorites instead of recently used, put now playing at the top

Thanks!

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

[quote="“enojy”" post="“476677582”"]
I sold out and switched to a face that supports the Now Playing complication. In watchOS 4, I think this covers any media playing from the phone? Either way, I disabled that poo poo that makes Now Playing auto-launch on the phone, because it’s stupid and launches with web videos and ads and poo poo, and seems to persist way too long after you’ve stopped and closed the audio-playing app. I also don’t have the Overcast app installed on the watch. End result, I can bring up Now Playing via the complication and control the playback/volume of the podcast playing through Overcast.
[/quote]

What face is this? I don’t have any new faces on my app it seems. Is it the Siri face? I disable Siri.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GoldfishStew posted:

What face is this? I don’t have any new faces on my app it seems. Is it the Siri face? I disable Siri.

This dude doesn't know how awesome it is to set grill timers completely hands free. I feel bad for him.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GoldfishStew posted:

Utility face. Now Playing is on the bottom.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Is the new Apple watch something I can walk into the Apple store and pick up today or would I have had to preorder it a while ago?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Is the new Apple watch something I can walk into the Apple store and pick up today or would I have had to preorder it a while ago?

This may depend on the model you want. My coworker ordered a LTE+GPS watch and it's not arriving until Wednesday for him. I ordered my GPS only model after he ordered his and I got mine launch day.

Granted, these were both pre-order scenarios, so maybe just call some stores in your area? Keep in mind that Apple stores are not the only place to buy these, you can also try your best buys and targets and the like.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

eddiewalker posted:

This dude doesn't know how awesome it is to set grill timers completely hands free. I feel bad for him.

You're contributing to 1984 you lazy gently caress.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

[quote="“enojy”" post="“476681150”"]
Utility face. Now Playing is on the bottom.
[/quote]

Thanks!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Do you really need to double post everytime you have absolutely nothing to say?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So I did my first workout today with OS4 and I'm no longer getting notifications on the watch during a workout (while playing music also) they are going to the phone.

Where can I change this? I used to get them on OS3.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

If anyone gets a cellular model and doesn't want it and wants to trade for my Series 2 sssb with AppleCare and a new in box grey woven nylon band lmk

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I took my iPhone 6 in today to get its battery replaced (I'm holding out for the X phone) and walked out with a Space Grey with cellular and a loop band.

The cellular activation interface for ATT is badly broken. The login screen is so poorly coded that if your username and password auto fills, and you click the button to log in, you enter a fail state. You literally have to click in a text field to make the button work. Once you figure that out, you get to a screen with, in my case, a single radio button select and a continue button. Because the radio selection is already populated, and there is no text field to click into, you guessed it, the Continue button can be clicked but does not and cannot work. Because you didn't and could. Or click the option you wanted to select.

Otherwise the watch is nice. Do y'all find that you eventually find a single watch face with complications the way you want and just use it, or do you change faces fairly often?

The toy story face is simply delightful. And Mickey made my wife, who does not own or wear a watch, squeal with delight and ask how much the watches cost and can she get one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I used one (Simple) pretty much all the time until Tuesday, when I added Utility because the Now Playing complication needs the “bottom” slot and can’t go into Simple's corners. So I’ve been flipping between those.

I keep Mickey Mouse installed but just to show, or in one specific case annoy, people. (He deserves it, trust me)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ultimate Mango posted:

I took my iPhone 6 in today to get its battery replaced (I'm holding out for the X phone) and walked out with a Space Grey with cellular and a loop band.

The cellular activation interface for ATT is badly broken. The login screen is so poorly coded that if your username and password auto fills, and you click the button to log in, you enter a fail state. You literally have to click in a text field to make the button work. Once you figure that out, you get to a screen with, in my case, a single radio button select and a continue button. Because the radio selection is already populated, and there is no text field to click into, you guessed it, the Continue button can be clicked but does not and cannot work. Because you didn't and could. Or click the option you wanted to select.

Otherwise the watch is nice. Do y'all find that you eventually find a single watch face with complications the way you want and just use it, or do you change faces fairly often?

The toy story face is simply delightful. And Mickey made my wife, who does not own or wear a watch, squeal with delight and ask how much the watches cost and can she get one.

I stick with modular since I schedule my life via Exchange calendars. At a glance I can see dark sky weather, my calendar entry (subject, location, super handy) along with date/time. I can also launch two of my most commonly used watch apps, timer and iMessage.

I'm running a battery test this weekend, I'm not going to charge it until it single digit battery %. I've had my S3 LTE on for about 14 hours and using it like normal and I'm at 81%. Normal means I've had my phone on me the whole time, so no LTE use or calls. I want to say this is a good 5-6% higher than my S2.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The only times I've ever switched off of Modular were by accident. :haw:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultimate Mango posted:

There was this cool write up (can't remember the URL) where a guy tailored just about his every need around 4 or 5 Modular watch faces, which went in chronological order from early morning to late night. But screw all that, I just use one face that offers enough complications I care to use. (Okay, I use two, but the second one is workout-centric and I only switch to it during workouts.)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I love this setup, I can keep an eye on closing my activity rings, and I've got quick access to a timer, now playing, and my To-Do App, Things.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I use Modular with Carrot weather in the middle and moon phase (cause it’s fun) workout and rings in the bottom. For a while I had a bunch of other Modular faces with the idea that I’d swap between them in different contexts but mostly I never did. I end up using the dock more to swap between functions. I’m trying the Siri face but I just have no idea what Apple thinks I’m going to do with it; so far what Apple guesses I’ll want to see has no bearing on what I do want to see and I’m not sure how to train it otherwise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been trying the Siri face, but it seems pretty useless. I'm not sure why it thinks I give a poo poo about sunset and sunrise. Before that I was using the digital activity face, and will probably go back to that, but switch the bottom complication to Now Playing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cool tips on the faces, thanks all.

As for ATT, indeed I had to register a new, different account with ATT using a different email address (yes really), and give myself permission to have a separate account for number sync, associated with the phone I wanted to pair with the watch. Activation then took a minute.

I was going to tie the watch to my work phone. But if doing this for the account I totally own and know all the secret info for was this hard, anyone using a watch on a corporate account phone is probably well and true hosed.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was going to tie the watch to my work phone. But if doing this for the account I totally own and know all the secret info for was this hard, anyone using a watch on a corporate account phone is probably well and true hosed.

This is what I've been fearing. I haven't used my personal iphone 6 in ages but it looks like I'll have to pair it to my s3 and forego work notifications on my watch for now on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah trying to upgrade a phone on a business account was terrible too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
FYI the Verizon watches seem to all, or almost all, have an issue activating. No eta on a fix, apparently the network team that fixes it is off Saturdays and Sundays. Why they weren't forced to work this weekend of all weekends is beyond me.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the Verizon watches seem to all, or almost all, have an issue activating. No eta on a fix, apparently the network team that fixes it is off Saturdays and Sundays. Why they weren't forced to work this weekend of all weekends is beyond me.

Interesting- the GF didn't have any issues activating her's yesterday.

So yeah, just tested out the battery on my LTE. Left the phone at home and ran for 1:45 with Strava going and playing music I downloaded to the watch. Battery was at 23% after that. I then made a call to the GF for 5 minutes (super handy via Bluetooth headphones) and threw Strava back on as I walked the few miles back home. 45 mins later, watch was at 4%. It died about 10 mins later with nothing running.

So looks like the watch is good for a half marathon but I doubt it'll last a full. I'll have to try again with the LTE off and see what that does.

Edit: oh loving sweet - watch dying equals Strava deleting my unsynched run data. For fucks sake.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 24, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LTE off would make it a full no problem.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Braincloud posted:

Interesting- the GF didn't have any issues activating her's yesterday.

So yeah, just tested out the battery on my LTE. Left the phone at home and ran for 1:45 with Strava going and playing music I downloaded to the watch. Battery was at 23% after that. I then made a call to the GF for 5 minutes (super handy via Bluetooth headphones) and threw Strava back on as I walked the few miles back home. 45 mins later, watch was at 4%. It died about 10 mins later with nothing running.

So looks like the watch is good for a half marathon but I doubt it'll last a full. I'll have to try again with the LTE off and see what that does.

Edit: oh loving sweet - watch dying equals Strava deleting my unsynched run data. For fucks sake.

Does the watch face stay on the entire time you're using Strava or does it turn off until you look at the face?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

[quote="“resident”" post="“476722787”"]
Does the watch face stay on the entire time you’re using Strava or does it turn off until you look at the face?
[/quote]

It turns off till you look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

LTE off would make it a full no problem.

Yeah. I've done full + workout app with the S0 and have made it, albeit with <20% remaining. I imagine the later versions are much better so long as LTE isn't on constantly.

• Locked thread