Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

the people you'd normally consider "theater people" are a really small portion of the people who actually work in theater. imagine a moonlighting fireman from Staten Island, it's more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i know a guy whos a cable puller at a tv studio and the gig is pretty sweet sounding with high pay for short hours and the union gets all up in mgmts face over every thing while my teachers union lets me get walked all over on a long day and im still waiting for money bloomberg owed me while another contract slowly expires and i get shortchanged for another 5 years when blasio inevitably decides to not give a poo poo

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

i know a guy whos a cable puller at a tv studio and the gig is pretty sweet sounding with high pay for short hours and the union gets all up in mgmts face over every thing while my teachers union lets me get walked all over on a long day and im still waiting for money bloomberg owed me while another contract slowly expires and i get shortchanged for another 5 years when blasio inevitably decides to not give a poo poo

There are a lot of mean things you can say about deblasio, but not giving a poo poo about union contracts or walking all over unions are not two of them.

Like he literally spent his first year in office doing nothing but renegotiating union contracts that Bloomberg has let lapse and handing out generous increases and retro pay to nearly every municipal union.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if we get a new one promptly when this one is over fine but at this point i expect to never be whole. i'm still looking at like 2022 before i get what i already earned 10 years ago.

once hes re elected and doesnt need us labor will probably eat poo poo

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

if we get a new one promptly when this one is over fine but at this point i expect to never be whole. i'm still looking at like 2022 before i get what i already earned 10 years ago.

once hes re elected and doesnt need us labor will probably eat poo poo

I mean, I get the cynicism about transactional politics, but BDB is as much of a labor movement true believer as has held public office in New York in decades.

If he's telling a union to eat poo poo, something seismic has happened.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, I get the cynicism about transactional politics, but BDB is as much of a labor movement true believer as has held public office in New York in decades.

If he's telling a union to eat poo poo, something seismic has happened.

"What is the blight of charter schools for 500 Alex"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lawman 0 posted:

"What is the blight of charter schools for 500 Alex"

De Blasio is the charter folks enemy number one and his position on them can be described as, at worst, "tolerate the ones that exist and accept no expansion", and that arguably understates the significant, if not terribly successful (THANKS GOVERNOR RARFUCKER) push to do things like charge them rent for the use of city facilities?

Like, outside of a narrow (but very prominent andnimportant, admittedly) range of issues dealing with policing, housing, and maaaaybe transit,, I really don't think you can legitimately come at deblasio from the left and say "he's wrong" - at best you can say "he's an idiot who can't actually accomplish the good thing I agree with him about."

Chevy Slyme has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Sep 17, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there are problems with de blasio but being cozy to charter schools isn't one of them. the entire reason why mayoral control became controversial is because he didn't think they should be given a blank check like bloomberg did

that being said, a good idea to deal with charter schools is to make sure they use some of those piles of cash to pay rent to public schools that they squat in

Snowy posted:

imagine a moonlighting fireman from Staten Island
say no more, friend

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BG1TQ_zAGI

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

De Blasio is the charter folks enemy number one and his position on them can be described as, at worst, "tolerate the ones that exist and accept no expansion", and that arguably understates the significant, if not terribly successful (THANKS GOVERNOR RARFUCKER) push to do things like charge them rent for the use of city facilities?

Like, outside of a narrow (but very prominent andnimportant, admittedly) range of issues dealing with policing, housing, and maaaaybe transit,, I really don't think you can legitimately come at deblasio from the left and say "he's wrong" - at best you can say "he's an idiot who can't actually accomplish the good thing I agree with him about."

Oh thanks friendo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

as expected, fuckery went on in the 26th senate district to replace Squadron. in spite of overwhelming support for Paul Newell in Manhattan, Seddio and Wright threw a fit and it went to Brian Kavanagh instead

edit: brooklyn doesn't get the entire blame for the process either

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Sep 18, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So there is no way to fix this broken city

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

It's going to be under water by the end of the century, I wouldn't worry about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i live on a hill. fix my soon to be river front precinct

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I don't have to call our senators about the latest ACA repeal, right?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I don't have to call our senators about the latest ACA repeal, right?

Call Schumer anyway. He's he minority leader and he needs to bust his rear end to keep the Joe Manchin's of the world in line.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

did either of our senators vote against the recent military budget bill

I'm assuming no?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

majormonotone posted:

did either of our senators vote against the recent military budget bill

I'm assuming no?

I believe KG did, which is pretty shocking.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
She did! She's mostly good on her votes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Matt Zerella posted:

I believe KG did, which is pretty shocking.

She did because republican leadership shut down her/Collins amendment to protect current trans servicemembers from discharge.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

the New Kings Democrats are at least trying with their radical plan of "actually have the county committee represented by people and not some empty chairs that have the blessing of the party chair." i want to get on county committee in my electoral district because neither of the committee members actually live in it. my assemblyman is a NKD member so that's good to know

edit: i should mention that Kavanagh is pretty reliably progressive but the way he got in is indefensible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/left-lies-gentrification-article-1.3514562

wrap it up lefties, gentrification and the war on drugs apparently arent real.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/left-lies-gentrification-article-1.3514562

wrap it up lefties, gentrification and the war on drugs apparently arent real.

Jesus H. Christ, the Daily News for all its posturing as a liberal newspaper primes some of the worst right wing editorials

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

all of our papers are bad tbh but that's disappointing to see from the least worst paper

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Jesus H. Christ, the Daily News for all its posturing as a liberal newspaper primes some of the worst right wing editorials
at least they've got Shaun King and are sticking with him. it is the least bad paper imo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How's that single payer bill coming along, Andrew?

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/911953214639165441

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

get that OUT of my face posted:

at least they've got Shaun King and are sticking with him. it is the least bad paper imo

King just left for the Intercept.

Also the Daily News just got sold to Tronc, so expect it to become a pale shadow of itself very fast.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

How's that single payer bill coming along, Andrew?

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/911953214639165441
he recently said that single-payer would be a good idea, and he could start by bringing that about here. also just say trump's name you gently caress

CaptainPsyko posted:

King just left for the Intercept.

Also the Daily News just got sold to Tronc, so expect it to become a pale shadow of itself very fast.
mmmmm that's a shame on both ends. the intercept isn't bad but it felt cool to say that a newspaper had a guy like shaun king

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

majormonotone posted:

all of our papers are bad tbh but that's disappointing to see from the least worst paper

actually our least worst paper is am New York

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

yeah this scans

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

good point

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Are there any demonstrations to demand a genuine humanitarian response to the loving disaster in PR

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

http://gothamist.com/2017/09/29/nyc_homeless_housing_hra.php

blasio will pay your rent in newark for 1 year guaranteed if you make your homeless family not his problem anymore.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

blasio will pay your rent in newark for 1 year guaranteed if you make your homeless family not his problem anymore.

I mean, if it works?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"The plan to send some families outside of New York City only speaks to the devastating lack of affordable housing here for low-income families,"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nuke albany
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-hospitals-fume-state-withholding-millions-article-1.3531230

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

ahh yes the relentless drive to corral poor people into poor neighborhoods where they can be environmentally genocided

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

“In light of this devastating Federal action, the Department of Health (DOH) is proceeding with a detailed financial analysis of each hospital and their overall condition,” Jason A. Helgerson, the state Medicaid Director, wrote back, saying KPMG had been retained to advise on how to deal with the cuts. The cuts may require a special session of the legislature, he wrote, to rework the state’s healthcare budget.

Of course they retained a private consultancy to decide how to go about this.

And it would be one that a simple Google search would show you is better not to retain at this time.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

New York prosecutors being cool and good: https://www.propublica.org/article/ivanka-donald-trump-jr-close-to-being-charged-felony-fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

and harvey weinstein too. apparently cy vance will suck your dick for a five-digit bribe