Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I sleep on a spring mattress that cost me $350, box spring and delivery included.

I feel like I'm aging twice as fast because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

Do you have flat feet? I wore wide shoes for 30 years before getting proper insoles and it turned out my 15eeee feet were actually contorted 15d feet that seemed wider due to severe pronation and fixing that made a lot of my problems go away. I'm not doubting that you have huge feet, but those pictures remind me of mine.
Next time I go to the doctor I'll ask, but I've been to three different podiatrists in the past, and none of them said anything about it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In one-on-one TV interviews, why do they continue to insist on showing the interviewer nodding and smiling while the subject is speaking?

Do they think we'll forget they're there?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In pre-recorded interviews we do it to cover a cut when the speaker is talking.

In live interviews we do it to stymie boredom. After the MTV generation (which I realize was 40 years ago now), we basically just sprinkle cocaine on everything to try and get young people to watch.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Anyone else getting this error with imgur a lot lately?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

FCKGW posted:

Either way the domain doesn't matter because if someone is gonna bitch they're going to contact your host, not your domain registrar

fishmech posted:

I hosted a page for someone that listed the personal information of members of one of Britain's largest outright-racist parties at the time and the worst thing that happened to me was whining emails even though it was like honestly pretty illegal if I'd been over in the UK. Eventually I took it down when the party'd basically collapsed and one of the guys who was listed gave me $500 to take his name off the site and I just shut the whole thing down cuz it was easier.

Basically the point is posting about video games is way less illegal so you have nothing to worry about if you just use like Dreamhost or something.

greazeball posted:

Switzerland doesn't really care all that much about data privacy and they're already over a barrel with the USDOJ over bank accounts anyway. The real privacy freaks in Europe are the Germans so if you're super paranoid, register your domain and host your poo poo there. It's total overkill, but at least get your facts straight.

All great input, cheers you guys.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Would it still be possible to make knots if friction didn't exist?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I doubt matter would exist without friction

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If the rest of the universe just kept ticking normally somehow, I think yes. Some knots are just about balancing tension and compression, not applying friction to a rope. This kind of touches on the role of friction in knots, though I might be mistaken: https://physics.aps.org/articles/v8/86

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Jeb! Repitition asks some of the best questions. Everyone should stalk him.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
what at a fertilizer plant burns blue. they are flaring a whole loving lot here all the sudden and the flame is blue as heck

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

violent sex idiot posted:

what at a fertilizer plant burns blue. they are flaring a whole loving lot here all the sudden and the flame is blue as heck

methane?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
not sure there's any decomposition involved in any process here but I'm dumb as poo poo

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Van Dis posted:

I need book recommendations on Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, and related composers like Brahms. Specifically, I'm looking for analysis of these composers' musical inventions and developments and their impact on the field. I'm less interested in gossipy Lifetime-channel anecdotes about their lives, unless the anecdotes are well-attested. Basically I want to learn about how these and other musicians changed music. Have you read anything along those lines about these composers?

I've been looking for something similar, and my brother recommended this to me since he enjoyed it... This isn't a print book, but it might fit your bill -- there's a "Great Courses" audiobook you can listen to through Audible called "The 23 Greatest Piano Works" by Robert Greenberg. It takes you chronologically through these pieces and Greenberg explains not only what makes them so special as individual musical works but also gives the backgrounds of the various composers and what makes them so important to the field of music.

The nice thing about this over a print book is that you hear the music being discussed throughout the lectures about them (recorded specifically for this audiobook by three well-known pianists) ; the downside is that it skips the music of composers (like :worship: Rachmaninoff :love: :ussr:) that the publisher couldn't get the music rights to. 19 composers are covered including Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Scriabin, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Copland, and Prokofiev.

Amazon link

I've only listened to the first chapter so far (which is just an intro on being a professional concert pianist) but I'm liking it. Greenberg makes the case that most composers and conductors were at least competent if not accomplished pianists, hence using piano music as the entryway to classical music.

Another non-book source I've found really interesting is Benjamin Zander's "Interpretations of Music" videos on youtube -- Zander is the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic, and in each video he works with a music student (of varying skill and talent) on a particular piece of music which he breaks down with them and often gives the background of the composer, what this piece is all about, what the historical context was for it when it was written, etc. The video on Gabriel Faure's "Elegie" is my favorite so far.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 23, 2017

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Van Dis posted:

I need book recommendations on Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, and related composers like Brahms. Specifically, I'm looking for analysis of these composers' musical inventions and developments and their impact on the field. I'm less interested in gossipy Lifetime-channel anecdotes about their lives, unless the anecdotes are well-attested. Basically I want to learn about how these and other musicians changed music. Have you read anything along those lines about these composers?

I don't have any recommendations for you but the field you are interested in is called Musicology. If you didn't already know that, it might help you find the kind of material you want.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Rabbit Hill posted:

Music stuff

I didn't even know I was interested in this until I read your post, but this seems interesting and I'm gonna check it out. Thanks bro.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Link me some YouTube users who do film and cinematography analysis, that isn't EFAP.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm going to NYC for the first week of October.

How does public transit work in a city that actually has public transit?

My plane lands in JFK and my hotel is in midtown manhattan. How do I actually go from A to B?

Once I'm there how do I get around? Do I take a bus? a subway? How do I know where I'm going and what the routes are, is there a special way I need to pay?

How do I go from midtown manhattan to Brooklyn?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Methanar posted:

My plane lands in JFK and my hotel is in midtown manhattan. How do I actually go from A to B?

Once I'm there how do I get around? Do I take a bus? a subway? How do I know where I'm going and what the routes are, is there a special way I need to pay?

JFK is pretty easy to get out of. Look for signs for the Airtrain then take it to the Jamaica station where you can get on the E/J/Z subway lines. The E train is probably going to be your best option to get to midtown but it's tough to say without knowing exactly where you're staying (plus train delays/maintenance can gently caress everything up). The NYC subway system is pretty loving easy to figure out, just know which train you want and which direction (usually uptown vs downtown) but if you get lost you can always ask someone, NYCers are typically very helpful if you can't figure out the subway.

Backtracking for a second: When you get to the airtrain, you'll have to buy an MTA card for the airtrain and subway. Buy a combined ticked and throw $20 or so on it. There are always MTA employees hanging around the airtrain kiosks, they can help point you in the right direction. You'll need $10 for the airtrain ($5 each way) then put in however much you think you'll need. You can always add more later on at a kiosk in most stations. The kiosks take cash and credit/debit cards.

For getting around, the MTA has a decent website (and google maps is pretty good but I'm not sure if they factor in track work), Here is the MTA website.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Methanar posted:

Just use Google Maps for best advice on how to get to your specific hotel, but it's probably going to involve taking the AirTrain from the terminal at JFK to either Jamaica or Howard Beach to connect with the different subway lines.

You need to buy a MetroCard from a vending machine and then load it up with some cash, rides are $2.75 and there's free transfers within the subway system and then once you leave the subway to a bus or once getting on the bus to the subway. You can buy a week-long unlimited ride pass to put on the MetroCard at the vending machine, but you still need to put like $15 of cash value on the card because you need to pay a fare for taking the AirTrain out to an outlying station to connect to the subway (it's free to ride within the airport) and you might need to take an express bus somewhere which is an extra fare over the $2.75.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Link me some YouTube users who do film and cinematography analysis, that isn't EFAP.

Movies with Mikey?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

two_beer_bishes posted:

JFK is pretty easy to get out of. Look for signs for the Airtrain then take it to the Jamaica station where you can get on the E/J/Z subway lines. The E train is probably going to be your best option to get to midtown but it's tough to say without knowing exactly where you're staying (plus train delays/maintenance can gently caress everything up). The NYC subway system is pretty loving easy to figure out, just know which train you want and which direction (usually uptown vs downtown) but if you get lost you can always ask someone, NYCers are typically very helpful if you can't figure out the subway.

Backtracking for a second: When you get to the airtrain, you'll have to buy an MTA card for the airtrain and subway. Buy a combined ticked and throw $20 or so on it. There are always MTA employees hanging around the airtrain kiosks, they can help point you in the right direction. You'll need $10 for the airtrain ($5 each way) then put in however much you think you'll need. You can always add more later on at a kiosk in most stations. The kiosks take cash and credit/debit cards.

For getting around, the MTA has a decent website (and google maps is pretty good but I'm not sure if they factor in track work), Here is the MTA website.

New York Hilton Midtown, 1335 6th Ave, New York, NY 10019, USA
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/John...7624785!3e3!5i3

Does this seem like a reasonable route? So airtrain to jamaica then the E subway until I get to a place named 7th Ave and then get off there.

Okay once I'm actually there and doing things, should I just use google maps to find a bus stop a bus that goes somewhere I find interesting?

Looking at all these routes on MTA's website and google maps is extremely intimidating.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 24, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Again just like use Google maps to tell you what subway route to take, most stuff that you'd want to do just visiting is accessible by subway and a little walking, maybe a ferry. If you're checking up on things to do in the future as opposed to right this minute, use Maps' "arrive by" and "depart at" features so you can see correct routes for time of day and day of week.

The bus routes are more useful by far for people who actually live in the city, or need to go to certain outlying or otherwise inaccessible by subway areas.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

PRADA SLUT posted:

James Hancock, @colebrax

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
DIY crap for Halloween:

I need to rig up something to hold a small puck light above a fake gravestone at an angle, preferably something that I can either mount to the back of the gravestone or place on the ground behind it that is inconspicuous. The puck light has a small hole in the back that I can use to mount it if I can secure a bolt somehow, or I can mount it with adhesive. Something like a tripod mount with an adjustable suspension arm would be fantastic.

Anyone have a recommendation on what I can do or buy to accomplish this?

I have enough tools to do some woodworking if necessary but I'm wondering if there's something modular that I can just use instead.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 24, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why can a compact 13' ladder costing $25 carry 1000lbs: https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...44446010082.htm

But a 12' rigid alumnum ladder costing $115 only carries 300lbs? https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...1530-c-7977.htm

I get that there are other benefits (ladder not twisting about and can actually be used from below to name just two), but from a sheer weight limit perspective, how is this possible?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Why can a compact 13' ladder costing $25 carry 1000lbs: https://www.menards.com/main/home-d...44446010082.htm

But a 12' rigid alumnum ladder costing $115 only carries 300lbs? https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...1530-c-7977.htm

I get that there are other benefits (ladder not twisting about and can actually be used from below to name just two), but from a sheer weight limit perspective, how is this possible?

The rope ladder is made of nylon rope, which has absurd tensile strength. It really doesn't have to do anything else but hang and be strong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also a rope ladder rated for 1000 pounds can only carry 1000 pounds if the thing you mount it to and the components you use to mount the ladder to that thing. With that one at least you can rely on the mounting hardware, but who knows if the window you'd mount it on could really hold 1000 pounds hanging off it at once, you're probably only going to have 300 or 400 pounds at once if you have and adult carrying another adult out of the building.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My wife saw a graphic with Trump and Kim in front of a mushroom cloud, with all their insults to each other listed on either side of the image. She can't find it now. I'd like to use it as a writing prompt in my English class.
Thanks!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Asking for a friend, but posting in 1st person for readability.

USA: If I go to the post office and ask, can they tell me the specific names of people who can get mail at my house (that I own)? Basically, to check if a particular resident has filed a change of address away from my house? I don't care to know the new location, just want proof that a resident has basically claimed they are no longer a resident of my house. "Tenant" (no lease, no rent/utilities ever paid) refuses to give back her key because she believes the house still contains her belongings (it doesn't). She hasn't slept here in weeks, just keeps showing up to dig through possessions (and take whatever she wants, especially if no one is home).

I know that simply changing the locks is considered an illegal "self-help eviction" method, but now we have dated photographs of her loading a U-Haul a couple weeks ago and if we can get proof from the post office that she no longer gets mail here, I think we have a good footing to change the locks legally.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

drat Bananas posted:

Asking for a friend, but posting in 1st person for readability.

USA: If I go to the post office and ask, can they tell me the specific names of people who can get mail at my house (that I own)? Basically, to check if a particular resident has filed a change of address away from my house? I don't care to know the new location, just want proof that a resident has basically claimed they are no longer a resident of my house. "Tenant" (no lease, no rent/utilities ever paid) refuses to give back her key because she believes the house still contains her belongings (it doesn't). She hasn't slept here in weeks, just keeps showing up to dig through possessions (and take whatever she wants, especially if no one is home).

I know that simply changing the locks is considered an illegal "self-help eviction" method, but now we have dated photographs of her loading a U-Haul a couple weeks ago and if we can get proof from the post office that she no longer gets mail here, I think we have a good footing to change the locks legally.
IANAL: As far as I know the post office doesn't keep full records of who is in a residence, though you can tell them who lives there if you want to avoid getting old mail (basically any mail they get that doesn't match will automatically be returned to sender rather than be delivered). Even if they do have a record, I can't image it would have any legal standing. If the 'tenant' has no proof of a lease or rent being payed or any possessions I would just change the locks. I think the safety of you and your possessions is more important than the off chance that they complain about an eviction that didn't take place.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are serial killers still a thing or were they just a fad with copycats spurred on by media sensationalism

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doorknob Slobber posted:

are serial killers still a thing or were they just a fad with copycats spurred on by media sensationalism

I mean this guy just got caught last year: http://nypost.com/2017/05/26/serial-killer-who-kept-woman-chained-in-container-pleads-guilty-to-seven-murders/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Serial killing is documented in the English-speaking world certainly back to the 19th century, and some would argue to the 18th century.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm trying to finally make a personal budget using an excel spreadsheet, and it is not adding up at all. I'm scratching my head here.

I've entered in the expenses posted this month, along with the income posted this month, and the money we currently have sitting in the bank, and I'm getting a huge negative balance. Like, how am I in the negative when I have money in the bank with all these charges already paid?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Check you haven't accidentally listed something as being a negative value when it should be a positive.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Memento posted:

Check you haven't accidentally listed something as being a negative value when it should be a positive.

I've been over it 3 times, doing math by hand and with a calculator. Same result.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm trying to finally make a personal budget using an excel spreadsheet, and it is not adding up at all. I'm scratching my head here.

I've entered in the expenses posted this month, along with the income posted this month, and the money we currently have sitting in the bank, and I'm getting a huge negative balance. Like, how am I in the negative when I have money in the bank with all these charges already paid?
Did you enter the money you had at the start of the month or the money you have now? Your current balance should be what the spreadsheet spits out, not something you enter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

misguided rage posted:

Did you enter the money you had at the start of the month or the money you have now? Your current balance should be what the spreadsheet spits out, not something you enter.

This is the most likely possibility, given that you get the same result doing it by hand.

The other two possibilities are: the bank screwed up (very unlikely), or you have another incorrect value in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like Nerdwriter as well

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nerdwriter1