Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

since enterprise wanted to explain Klingon makeup issues, I hope Discovery explains why the 23rd century thought 1980's submarine screens were worthy of starship bridges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I didn't want to contribute to non-Discovery posting in the Discovery thread, so...

Kibayasu posted:

Anybody advocating skipping a Q episode can go right to hell.

Another example of why I don't really like Greatest Generation. They didn't like Qpid, and that's one of my favorite light-hearted episodes. Picard gets a goatee, and Worf has two excellent Worf lines. Plus without this episode, we don't get to see Sisko punching Q.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I've been waiting for this page so I could make that joke and you beat me to it :argh:

I would have just forgotten until page 668 though.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Gonna poll again, in case anybody missed the original request:

Looking for the Sisko "REAL" poster, in the vein of the Shepherd Fairey Obama "HOPE" poster. I can't find it anywhere on the Internet, but remember seeing it in these threads years ago.

Any help?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Gonna poll again, in case anybody missed the original request:

Looking for the Sisko "REAL" poster, in the vein of the Shepherd Fairey Obama "HOPE" poster. I can't find it anywhere on the Internet, but remember seeing it in these threads years ago.

Any help?

I don't remember that at all, sorry. The best I could do is all the GIS you've probably already done.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is. Right out of hell, I saw it!"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Go Discovery, hail Satan.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MillennialVulcan posted:

Go Discovery, hail Satan.

^^^
This guy seriously freaked me out when I was 7.

This lady is chill.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hail Ardra Satan!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Troi would have been a lot better if they had an actual psychologist on the writing staff for her,

That and if they'd written her as the ship's xenocultural expert.

I think giving her powers made them write her way worse.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Pfft, let's get the correct version of that GIF up:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I sense...a correct opinion, Captain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

All praise to Lucien, friends! Our friend... though perhaps we do not know it yet!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They put up the shields to protect the ship from gravity waves. I just never realized they could actually negate gravity before. Makes me wonder if they could go beyond a black hole's event horizon.

There's a neat sequence in a book where they do this, but it requires extremely precise calibration; some Klingons follow them in but one of their ships screws it up, and they just kinda get deleted from the sudden imposition of the black hole's local spacetime back onto the ship.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

computer, set a course for hell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd hail Ardra, if you catch my drift.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That and if they'd written her as the ship's xenocultural expert.

Yeah. It's like they realised too late that being able to tell perfectly when people are lying is terrible for drama, so they just made her power useless 95% of the time instead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Yeah. It's like they realised too late that being able to tell perfectly when people are lying is terrible for drama, so they just made her power useless 95% of the time instead.

Sorta like being able to "sense death" I bet. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astroman posted:

Sorta like being able to "sense death" I bet. :v:

"Hey Jimmy, do you detect any death?"
"Not particularly"
"Ok, we should be safe on this away mission, let's ago."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

marktheando posted:

I'd wager that time they figured that out was shortly after the episode in season two where they established that Geordi can also detect lying (at least he can with humans, it's kind of a crapshoot with aliens), because he can see all the tiny physiological changes like skin temperature and whatnot that happen when a person lies. (It was from that episode with the clones and the planet of the Irish stereotypes.) This ability was never mentioned again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Crusader posted:

I never noticed it before but the Captain's Yacht looks a bit like the CBS eye. :tinfoil:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Crusader posted:

I kinda want context for this, but I kinda don't because it's :krad: on its own

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I picture it furiously plowing into the star and then just springing back in the other direction

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I'd watch that show.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Oh

boy

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda want context for this, but I kinda don't because it's :krad: on its own

The context is that the artist is portraying what Berman and Braga did to Star Trek.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

This feels like something they would have done based on Season 4, and it would have been good :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The mashups have begun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbslLd2b8vw

Orv
May 4, 2011

:gowron:

This needs to happen before Bakula continues his slow slide into being a prune.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know what to think about Discovery. Intellectually, there are things I'm not completely happy about, but I'm mostly neutral on the series itself. But emotionally, I've come to associate Discovery so much with annoying fans with whom I've argued about it (no one in this thread or on SA) that I'm almost completely turned off.

Star Trek as a franchise, though, probably needs a win in order to continue. I wish Discovery well, but I probably won't be watching, and I definitely won't be paying for All Access.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know what to think about Discovery. Intellectually, there are things I'm not completely happy about, but I'm mostly neutral on the series itself. But emotionally, I've come to associate Discovery so much with annoying fans with whom I've argued about it (no one in this thread or on SA) that I'm almost completely turned off.

Star Trek as a franchise, though, probably needs a win in order to continue. I wish Discovery well, but I probably won't be watching, and I definitely won't be paying for All Access.

I think the name still enjoys enough cachet that people will probably still want to take a crack at it at some point. But if it does flop, I wouldn't be surprised if we wait another 10-15 years for a new series.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Riker being a wily wheeler dealer in Firstborn is a side of him we don't get to see often enough, I think it might be my favorite him episode.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

skasion posted:

I think the name still enjoys enough cachet that people will probably still want to take a crack at it at some point. But if it does flop, I wouldn't be surprised if we wait another 10-15 years for a new series.

In the year 2000.... the media will celebrate the return of Star Trek, taking place concurrently as the 5 year mission in TOS era, and starring the first British actor as a captain in the series.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Grand Fromage posted:

our incestuous nerd pile

I love this thread so much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Discovery sucks so far, it's just some old Asian lady telling Oprah why she voted for Trump

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Discovery sucks so far, it's just some old Asian lady telling Oprah why she voted for Trump

#betterthanvoyager

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Violations. Telepathic historians that retrieve long-forgotten memories. This could get wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

loving Christ this Oprah special is loving unbearable. I hate these people