Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I was checking out the preview for villains and Vigilantes 3rd Edition. I don't think the game is for me, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had a rather progressive view on sexuality and gender identity.

There are four tables for gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, and sexual orientation. It included results such as non-binary ( which was explicitly called out as a catch-all for things like genderqueer, and the such), asexual, transgender, Etc.

Players are not expected to rule on it unless they feel comfortable. It's implied to mostly be there for the GM to help create a more diverse cast.

Still, I was not expecting an OSR game to respectfully recognize the LGBT+ community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zoro posted:

Still, I was not expecting an OSR game to respectfully recognize the LGBT+ community.

I haven't really seen much if any homophobia(or whatever would be the appropriate term when applied to the LGBT spectrum at large) in the OSR community, the worst I've seen(outside of some stuff like BITC, although that was more exploitave than anything) is the occasional member of the movement be kind of confused about it in the way a lot of older CIS White Men are, and not really in a malicious way either*

*I'm sure there are some actual pricks in this regard among the movement, but I haven't really seen any of that outside of the occasional Anon on /tg/ being a jackass

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kibner posted:

You might want to rely on relationships between characters to get them to help their friends that have a more straightforward reason to go. The players did think of reasons why their characters would be willing to work together, right?

They are all related to each other, or at the very least related by marriage, so that is a good starting point. Thank you!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Heya everyone, I had a quick thing to ask.

See I set up a game with my friends from work of Heroquest. We set up an Orlanthi Clan in Dragon Pass just after the resettlement, eveything is a bit up for grabs and loads of people are playing along and everyone is having a good time.

Only problem is that the characters are very diverse and I don't know how to include all of them in 1) A singular party, 2) A coheseive narrative.

I don't mind giving people individual moments to shine (for obvious reasons) but wanted to ask what you guys think would be good story ideas for some of the characters.

They are as follows:

Vigilant Herder
Vengeful Priestess of Issaries
Charismatic Weaver
Eccentric Guide/hunter
Empathetic/seductive juggler
Creative Redsmith
Decietful (probably due to change) Mercenary
Misanthropic Skinner

I thought a good first adventure would be suffering some sort of set back in the Springtime fertility rites and needing people to go into the wilderness and find the [macguffin] that is causing the problems out there. That means that the Herder, Priestess, guide and merc are accounted for, but the others are a bit difficult to include. I also wanted to ask how to include cool things for people who build/make stuff to be put into storylines other than "competition about [skill]" and "Make [item] to help the tribe fight [thing]"

Rather than sending your people out, I would start by bringing trouble directly to your clan. A big scary raid by an enemy power (undead, grazelanders, trolls, chaos, etc) would be a good choice. It establishes the stakes, gives people a clear immediate objective as they fight/survive, and dealing with the aftermath gives your non-martial characters a clear chance to contribute.

The glorantha and/or Heroquest channel on the Chaosium discord is always available if you want to chat things out real time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I thought this might amuse you guys:

I've been running a D&D game featuring an overpowered undead king and his army. The party confronted him at level 1, and despite being given a chance to flee, they engaged him in battle, leading to two player deaths. Now normally I wouldn't put a player in a situation where they're very likely to die at level 1, but I had a plan here, and I told the players their characters were reborn as revenants. They didn't know what a revenant was, so I gave them a bunch of resources. I was going for the 4e version where they're a distinct race, so it wasn't just them being a corpse version of their former selves. I told one of them, "No, you're not an undead dwarf now, you're Brandon Lee."

Unfortunately, he was born in 1996, so he had no idea I was talking about The Crow. So he showed up to our next session with a new character named "Brandon Lee".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lurdiak posted:

Unfortunately, he was born in 1996, so he had no idea I was talking about The Crow.
I don't think him being born in 1996 had as much to do with it as much as Brandon Lee being a pretty much unknown actor even when he was alive.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont get that reference and i'm 30

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean, narratively they're still an undead dwarf, right? Just not mechanically.

Also isn't race really important for charop in 4E? I get the reference but I can definitely see someone banking on still being mechanically dwarfy even if they're dead now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also after a rough first session and then like a month and a half of people missing the bi-weekly sessions due to hurricanes, sleep disorders, and other disasters, the second session of my Demon: The Descent game went incredibly well; I struck a much better balance between horror and humor without abandoning either, everyone was laughing and getting invested in their characters, and I have a pretty clear idea of where to take things next time.

:toot:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Countblanc posted:

i dont get that reference and i'm 30

Put down your keyboard and go watch The Crow

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Put down your keyboard and go watch The Crow

who the heck holds their keyboard

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Countblanc posted:

Weirdos who haven't seen the Crow

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

the crow wasn't that good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, narratively they're still an undead dwarf, right? Just not mechanically.

Nah. Revenants are reincarnations in 4e, not animated corpses. They all look like gothy humans and are "marked by avian features" EG feathered hair or talon-like hands. They also don't retain full memories of their former lives, just glimpses.

Reene posted:

the crow wasn't that good

It really doesn't matter if it was good, it was a cultural touchstone. Like The Dark Knight is for people who aren't extremely old and creaky.

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't think him being born in 1996 had as much to do with it as much as Brandon Lee being a pretty much unknown actor even when he was alive.

People knew his name because of the association with The Crow. If you die when filming a movie about a dead goth, that pretty much canonizes you to other goths. It's an admittedly dated reference, though, because as stated, I am old.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 25, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah. Revenants are reincarnations in 4e, not animated corpses. They all look like gothy humans and are "marked by avian features" EG feathered hair or talon-like hands. They also don't retain full memories of their former lives, just glimpses.

Ok, but what's wrong with reskinning it as "now you're an undead dwarf with black feathered hair and clown makeup?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is a cool aesthetic

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Loving those circuit board pants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Simian_Prime posted:

Ok, but what's wrong with reskinning it as "now you're an undead dwarf with black feathered hair and clown makeup?"

If he was really set on it I would've allowed it. He was only asking because he was only familiar with the 5e revenants.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I am a real life Decker AMA.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lurdiak posted:

It really doesn't matter if it was good, it was a cultural touchstone. Like The Dark Knight is for people who aren't extremely old and creaky.

People knew his name because of the association with The Crow. If you die when filming a movie about a dead goth, that pretty much canonizes you to other goths. It's an admittedly dated reference, though, because as stated, I am old.
I think you vastly overestimate the cultural impact of both, dude. I've been hanging around with goths since The Crow came out because I am also An Old and if I asked 10 of them who Brandon Lee is I bet I'd get maybe two people to recognize his name.

So, again: it's not because he's young or you're old, it's because The Crow isn't the cultural hallmark for any culture that you want it to be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

which is a drat shame, mind

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I think you vastly overestimate the cultural impact of both, dude. I've been hanging around with goths since The Crow came out because I am also An Old and if I asked 10 of them who Brandon Lee is I bet I'd get maybe two people to recognize his name.

So, again: it's not because he's young or you're old, it's because The Crow isn't the cultural hallmark for any culture that you want it to be.

God, who cares. I just wanted to tell a story about DM/player miscommunication.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Y'all talkin' bout the star of Laser Mission in this thread?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

theironjef posted:

Y'all talkin' bout the star of Laser Mission in this thread?

No, were talking about the guy who isnt Earnest Borgnine.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

So I thought this might amuse you guys:

I've been running a D&D game featuring an overpowered undead king and his army. The party confronted him at level 1, and despite being given a chance to flee, they engaged him in battle, leading to two player deaths. Now normally I wouldn't put a player in a situation where they're very likely to die at level 1, but I had a plan here, and I told the players their characters were reborn as revenants. They didn't know what a revenant was, so I gave them a bunch of resources. I was going for the 4e version where they're a distinct race, so it wasn't just them being a corpse version of their former selves. I told one of them, "No, you're not an undead dwarf now, you're Brandon Lee."

Unfortunately, he was born in 1996, so he had no idea I was talking about The Crow. So he showed up to our next session with a new character named "Brandon Lee".

so you had players make characters they liked and then killed them off in an unwinnable fight to have them remade as something you're seemingly way more fond of than them. uhhh good job?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Elfgames posted:

so you had players make characters they liked and then killed them off in an unwinnable fight to have them remade as something you're seemingly way more fond of than them. uhhh good job?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How is their assessment wrong? It seems pretty spot on to me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It sounds like they had a chance to not be murdered? There's not enough context to say how obvious it was or if the PCs were cool with wiping.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Welp, the most recent Pathfinder product has "daemon of pedophiles in unmarked vans with candy" as a thing. :stonk:

edit: His areas of interest are abduction, strangers, and sweets.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 25, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

Welp, the most recent Pathfinder product has "daemon of pedophiles in unmarked vans with candy" as a thing. :stonk:

Someone wanted to cash in on the resurgence in popularity for Pennywise.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Arivia posted:

edit: His areas of interest are abduction, strangers, and sweets.

Holy poo poo.

"Abuse a child and you can have +2 to Charisma checks!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Folca? I barely knew her!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Holy poo poo.

"Abuse a child and you can have +2 to Charisma checks!"

Also he grants the infamous sexual harassment spell http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/u/unnatural-lust/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Also he grants the infamous sexual harassment spell http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/u/unnatural-lust/
His level two spell is magic roofies

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Arivia posted:

That's a really bad game night waiting to happen. Really, who thought this was a good idea?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slendermolester

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Falstaff posted:

Really, who thought this was a good idea?

Pathfinder players :agesilaus:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Serf posted:

Someone wanted to cash in on the resurgence in popularity for Pennywise.

Nah, dude, that's literally Slender Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I do not want to know which "Ultimate _____" book that came from.

• Locked thread