Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

"fairness" has so, so much less to do with life than people want it to. like this one time: I moved into an apartment where my neighbor was super rude to me right off the bat, and made noise complaints for stuff that didn't happen, and was generally a jerk. know what I did? next time I saw him outside, I asked if he wanted to have a beer on the porch, and while we drank them I asked him what times of day he needed it quiet and said I'd do my best to accommodate them. and guess what? no more problems with that dude. we didn't like become friends, but we were fine neighbors after that.

if I gave this advice to someone on Reddit, I would be downvoted to oblivion. "why should they have to accommodate him, they are in the right!" sure, I acknowledge that. did you want to sit in your apartment knowing how in the right you are, or improve your situation? its not fair that I had to extend extra niceness to someone who was an rear end in a top hat for no reason, but it was the only thing that was going to actually improve my life in that apartment building. whoop de do.

the ghost of dale carnegie smiles on you, wise one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

"but I'm right and they're wrong!!!!" is the calling card of someone who, right or wrong, is going to make a lot of problems for themselves in life

that's why they say pride is so dangerous. not because it makes you preen, but because it makes you unable to make pragmatic decisions

Proteus Jones posted:

No. that becomes an entirely different headache if either party looks to sell property. It would become an easement through adverse possession at that point if I'm understanding correctly.

Honestly, they should have worked out an easement with the buyers of the 1st property they sold, or gotten an agreement from the neighbor prior to selling.

Other option, combine the parcels and then re-split so you had access to the township/county roads. Would have probably cost more in time and money, but the least headache than all the trying to do after the fact poo poo.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I spent just shy of two years as an attorney doing real estate litigation. From my experience they came out way better off than many who get stuck in these situations. This is a win.

Hmm. Maybe we should listen to the attorney here who has experience in the subject matter you goons

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

yes, they are unambiguously in the right and their neighbors in the wrong. look how well that worked out for them in time, money, and mental peace lost irrevocably

I dunno if it was much peace los, the balls on those neighbors and they'd start to use the private road to roll a bunch of trucks through. If they were gonna be reasonable people they would have renegotiated with the the neighbors they just sold land too, that they tried to sell their land and annex the OP's is all the reason to fight them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's not a fairness thing, it's one of those things where letting them use your stuff sounds fine until something goes wrong(them wrecking their car on a pothole, you repaving your road at an inconvenient time for them, etc) and they get pissed at you for it. And someone stupid enough to landlock their property will absolutely cause a huge hassle if they decide your road caused damages to them.

Or until someone else buys your property, says "lol no you can't use this", and it turns into a problem like this:

My neighbor's children are using a ladder to get to my pool and their parents won't do anything about it.

quote:

I live in California.

Hello,

While preparing to move into my house I had an 8' wood fence put up around my yard. Shortly after moving in I found my neighbors kids in my yard using my pool.

I went and talked to their parents. They said the previous owners let the kids use the pool whenever they wanted and they assumed I would do the same. I explained that was not the case and the children should not come over to my yard uninvited. I assumed the matter was closed.

Then I found them in my yard again the next day, they pushed something over to stand on to get to the lock. Talked to the parents again. Moved the lock up higher where they couldn't reach it until I could get a different lock.

Found them in my yard again. Talked to the parents again. Installed a keypad lock. Sent them a certified letter and posted No Tresspassing signs all over. I filled out a report with the police.

Yet again, I found them in my yard. They had used a ladder to get over to my yard, then realized once they were in my yard they were stuck. I made their parents come get them and again reiterated to everyone that this was unacceptable. I filed a second report with the police and a police officer went over and talked to the parents and the kids.

This morning I was leaving for work and found the kids AGAIN using a ladder to get into my yard.

What actions can I take here? I cannot think of any way to prevent the kids from using a ladder to get into my yard, except for ways that would be dangerous and would leave me liable if they were injured. I built a bigger fence, I got a better lock...and this is still happening.

No amount of talking to the parents helps. They say kids will be kids, laugh at their kids' determination, etc. Apparently they were not phased by the police officer.

Does anyone have any suggestions of legal remedies for this? Should I be trying to sue or something?

Thanks.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

It's not a fairness thing, it's one of those things where letting them use your stuff sounds fine until something goes wrong(them wrecking their car on a pothole, you repaving your road at an inconvenient time for them, etc) and they get pissed at you for it. And someone stupid enough to landlock their property will absolutely cause a huge hassle if they decide your road caused damages to them.

Or until someone else buys your property, says "lol no you can't use this", and it turns into a problem like this:

My neighbor's children are using a ladder to get to my pool and their parents won't do anything about it.

Drain the pool into their yard.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
it's gonna be great when one of those idiot kids breaks their neck and the parents sue the pool owner for it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

poison the children (on their own property obviously)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Get a realistic looking fake turd and let it float around the pool. Problem solved.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Neighbor kids keep coming on my dad's property, which is used for hunting. KY

quote:

My dad owns 40 acres in KY outside town limits for hunting. There are over 300 private property/no trespassing signs posted around the perimeter.

Until recently there were no homes in the area of the land. However, a nearby property was recently sold and the owners are now living on it in an RV with their children.

Dad walks his property daily with his dogs and in two weeks he has found the kids out playing in the woods out there 9 times. He has spoken to their parents about it four times, and the sheriff has gone out to talk to the family twice - and he keeps finding them out there.

Their parents basically say "kids will be kids" and that if dad doesn't want people to access the property, he should build a better fence (which would be extremely costly, which is why it hasn't been done). Dad has informed them that we hunt the land, so for the kids' safety they need to steer clear of it, but they turned it around and said they'd have his head on a golden stake if one of their kids gets hurt.

We are extremely concerned because hunting season will start soon. Obviously we need the land to be free of roaming children in order to hunt safely.

Dad is going to talk to the sheriff again tomorrow, but in the mean time I am wondering if anyone has any advice.
Embrace natural selection, OP.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Neighbor kids keep coming on my dad's property, which is used for hunting. KY

Embrace natural selection, OP.

Get some wild hogs on there that will eat the kids, OP.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

Get some wild hogs on there that will eat the kids, OP.

Which can be easily done by just not actively hunting the bastards :argh:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
[/quote]

Take them to the local children's hospital and show them a kid that's brain dead on a ventilator from drowning.

I take care of too many kids who drown in a neighbors pool to give a poo poo how cute the parents think it is. Call CPS and tell them the parents are putting the kids in danger by gross neglect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Pour hot oil down the ladder while you wait for the Dwarven reinforcements and Elf archers

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

La Brea Carpet posted:

Take them to the local children's hospital and show them a kid that's brain dead on a ventilator from drowning.

I take care of too many kids who drown in a neighbors pool to give a poo poo how cute the parents think it is. Call CPS and tell them the parents are putting the kids in danger by gross neglect.

Neither of these would achieve anything, other than have CPS laugh at you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Probably posted before, but gently caress it, it's still a good read:

[Ontario] Neighbor's kids stole some of my pepper plants. They ate them, got hurt, now they want to sue.

quote:

Facebook friend told me to post here for advice.

Almost a year ago, I had moved out of the city and into a rural community. By rural, I have 3 neighbors within half a kilometre. With the land I had access to (and own), I started my own garden as a fun project in early spring. I have 2 neighbors beside my propery, one of them are an elderly couple who are the nicest people I've ever met. The other are a family with 2 little boys. They're 6 to 11. Not sure about their exact age. I planted a lot of stuff like green onion, tomatoes, watermelon, peppers and a lot more. But, I was given a few pepper seeds from a friend of mine a few weeks prior. They were the Carolina Reaper, the hottest pepper in the world, like literally pepper spray in your mouth. My intentions were not really to eat them as they are, but to have them dried and minced and added to things because why the hell not? The land around my yard isn't fenced. The borders of land are marked by skinny trees. My garden was atleast 80 metres from the trees.

Alright, time to begin.

My garden had started to flower about a month ago, so I decided I would share some of my yield of tomatoes, strawberries, bell peppers with my neighbor. The little boys who noticed my garden would come by often to watch me move dirt or water my garden, and I would sometimes let them pick strawberries to eat, and their parents had full knowledge of this. But then, I began to notice that even unripe fruits would go missing from plants after a plant with 3 tomatoes just went naked. So, while I was washing dishes I saw the boys run into my garden and pick a few fruits and run back to their house.

No big deal, I'll just tell them to stop.

The mother thanked me and said they won't be doing it anymore.

They still came by when I was working on the garden, and I let them take fruits/veg then.

Then, last week, my Carolina Reaper peppers grew. They were had a sharp curled tip, looked awesome and scary.

3 days ago, I got a bang on my door from the father of the boys saying I poisoned their sons.

I asked him what he meant, and he said that after I gave them stuff from my garden, they came home with burned hands, a headache, extreme mouth pain and distress.

I explained to him that all I gave him were strawberries and other things that were safe to eat, and that I've been doing it for weeks.

He said that he would sue me, or I would have to pay physical cash for their stress.

He left my property and I run out back and see that some of my carolina reaper peppers were on the ground, one with a bite mark on it.

I went over to their house right away and explained to them what they ate and they went full apeshit saying their boys wouldn't steal after they were told not to.

He shows me video of the boys crying with bright red faces and kept blaming me.

I told him that I never gave them the peppers, and that they were the ones who stole them without asking.

The next day, I come home from work to see my carolina reaper plants (I have 3), and my small containers with chocolate tomato plants, gone.

I went over to their house and saw my broken pots in their yard, I asked them what the gently caress did they to my garden.

The mother told me his husband seized the plants legally because they were a threat to the safety of their kids.

I told them they came on private property illegally, and damaged my property and pots.

She denied that she broke any pots, but I ran to the back and pick a shard of my pot and showed it to her.

She told me that is was hers, bullshit.

So, now, the father dropped a letter saying they will sue me in court and get damages because of what I did to their kids, or I can pay $3500 straight up.

I don't want to call the police in case I have to, because I don't want to spend money on a lawyer to defend myself in a lawsuit.

what the gently caress should I do from here? the deadline to pay him is on friday.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Probably posted before, but gently caress it, it's still a good read:

[Ontario] Neighbor's kids stole some of my pepper plants. They ate them, got hurt, now they want to sue.

"The deadline" lmfao. Tell him to gently caress off, get a fence, and report them for trespassing.

Edit: And report him for extortion.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The OP faced a bunch of potential costs to allowing use of the private road. First, allowing it would have created an easement over OP's property. This in and of itself will lower the value of the OP's property. Second, the responsibilities to prevent wear and maintain the easement would have to be negotiated. What type of use is allowed. Who is responsible for paying the maintenance. Will the other party actually honor their commitment in 5, 10, or 15 years when the road needs to be resurfaced? Will they run heavy trucks down the road whether or not the grant of easement allows it? Are you willing to go to court then to enforce that agreement? What if they sell the property and the new owners don't abide by it. Will you eat the costs or will you go to court against potentially more toxic people? Do you spend 1-2 years settling the issue now or invite a potential lifetime of headaches? Based on the neighbor's other dealings, the demands to use the OP's property, and other red flags in the post the neighbor's sound like first degree shitlords who would be nightmares to deal with on all of these issues. Third, and this given its own category for emphasis, who has ultimate liability to third parties concerning the above concerns. Consider that four of neighbor's friends come over to visit them. It's raining. The road is in poor shape because neighbors haven't been paying their share to maintain it. You've been meaning to fix that one known defect but were waiting for neighbors to pony up before hiring a contractor. The friend's truck loses traction, hits a tree. Between the four them they have $300K in medical bills. OP and the neighbors are sued. Neighbors are likely judgment proof, so now OP is on the hook. Fourth, does OP have any conceivable plans to change the use of that road or route it anywhere else. Having an easement over it will derail those plans. This is just poo poo I'm thinking of off the top of my head and there could easily be more concerns if I knew more details and had time to look it over.

Furthermore, this is not a simple case. When the sheriff showed up I got worried because I've seen assholes in the wrong cause significant grief by reaching out to their cousin / brother / uncle / brother-uncle at the sheriffs office to enforce an illegal order based on a hilariously one-sided interpretation of what someone thinks the law is. On top of that a landlocked property usually has the right to demand an easement. The difficulty here is that the owners landlocked themselves (if they had a decent lawyer do the closing they would have caught that). Usually the last property they sold off would be the one they can demand an easement over but even then that's complicated. Either way someone is getting screwed, either the OP or the other land purchaser, in order to fix the landlocking.

When it comes to land, especially homesteads people get really, really, loving emotional and unreasonable. It takes reasonableness on all sides to actually have a calm and settled solution. Sometimes this happens, more often it doesn't. There was one story that got around the town I was practicing in. Two farmers had a similar dispute over an easement. The first invited the other farmer for beer and they tried to talk it out. Felt like they succeeded in having a cordial resolution. A few days later the neighbor stampeded a herd of cattle across the first farmer's land. Day after the neighbor's cousin at the county sheriff's office came out to try and arrest the first farmer for stealing the neighbor's cattle that were now on first's land.

In this case the OP did everything right. They hired a lawyer, the worked with the lawyer to find the most cost-effective legal solution, they shut up and didn't post all the details on the internet, and unfortunately they still got kinda screwed. It also looks like the other lender to the neighbor's got screwed with the loan. While this is a onesided take, it looks to me that the neighbors were entitled assholes who harmed a lot of people with their shenanigans. They are described as likely being judgment proof so the innocents they harmed are stuck bearing the loss. This is unfortunately common.

In conclusion, 1) based on the facts presented the OP did everything right by lawyering up and following their advice, and 2) Everyone saying "it's no big deal why couldn't they just be reasonable" has no clue what they're talking about so please go back to posting idiots on reddit or hitting on PIck or whatever this thread is about these days.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Dienes posted:

Neither of these would achieve anything, other than have CPS laugh at you.

Eh probably not but it just pisses me off that people are that careless about kids and pools having seen the consequences many many times.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the dad can demand unmarked, untraceable cash after he offed the hostage plants. Dude has no leverage now.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

cumshitter posted:

I don't think the dad can demand unmarked, untraceable cash after he offed the hostage plants. Dude has no leverage now.

Always demand proof of leaf.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

La Brea Carpet posted:

Eh probably not but it just pisses me off that people are that careless about kids and pools having seen the consequences many many times.

Agreed. And when it does happen, they'll sue the pool owner for the injuries and probably win because of "Attractive Nuisance" laws.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Dienes posted:

Agreed. And when it does happen, they'll sue the pool owner for the injuries and probably win because of "Attractive Nuisance" laws.

If the dude had a fence with a lock that met or exceedes code and had a paper trial of calling the police and trying to keep the kids away I don't think they could slam him for that.

IANAL but this is why you should carry a ton of liability insurance I'd you won a house with a pool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"fairness" has so, so much less to do with life than people want it to. like this one time: I moved into an apartment where my neighbor was super rude to me right off the bat, and made noise complaints for stuff that didn't happen, and was generally a jerk. know what I did? next time I saw him outside, I asked if he wanted to have a beer on the porch, and while we drank them I asked him what times of day he needed it quiet and said I'd do my best to accommodate them. and guess what? no more problems with that dude. we didn't like become friends, but we were fine neighbors after that.

So the monetary damages you decided were acceptable to solve this at your rental apartment was a 6 pack? I don't think you know anything about owning property and how much damage to value an adverse possession easement will cost you on sale.......if anyone will even buy a property in that state.

Pick posted:

right but I probably would have tried to sell them a strip at the interface they could make a road through. or poo poo even give it to them, juuust wide enough for a vehicle. you can not come out ahead in this situation, it's just a matter of how you come out behind.

Yeah, because that won't take years to fight through the county, tons of time cash to get the plat and titles redone and probably moving a fence. All so you can give away a strip of property. WHAT A VICTORY!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Are rock salt loaded shotguns not a thing anymore?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
For every level-headed, amenable neighbor out there who will be happy to work out any minor conflict with a friendly conversation, there is a dumb, dull, contentious sack of rear end who is going to spray their poo poo in every direction as far as the people around them will permit.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

blarzgh posted:

For every level-headed, amenable neighbor out there who will be happy to work out any minor conflict with a friendly conversation, there is a dumb, dull, contentious sack of rear end who is going to spray their poo poo in every direction as far as the people around them will permit.

Exactly this.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I don't get why the pool owner doesn't just give the children an easement on his pool. Look, stupid people are gonna be stupid, it's best to just roll over and submit yourself entirely to their idiocy, regardless of cost to yourself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

I don't get why the pool owner doesn't just give the children an easement on his pool. Look, stupid people are gonna be stupid, it's best to just roll over and submit yourself entirely to their idiocy, regardless of cost to yourself.

To be honest, the pool owner will come out ahead in litigation, because there are actually pretty stringent requirements for the attractive nuisance doctrine. however you will still lose because you had to hire lawyers to represent you diligently.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, and its california so the old standby of shooting them dead when you catch them trespassing might not hold up in court.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Admiral Ray posted:

"The deadline" lmfao. Tell him to gently caress off, get a fence, and report them for trespassing.

Edit: And report him for extortion.

And it's Ontario, so it's not like they can sue for medical bills either.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Yeah, and its california so the old standby of shooting them dead when you catch them trespassing might not hold up in court.

I didn't realize this was in California. Plant some weed next to the fence and when those little shits trample your plants sue them for loving up your legal business.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Customer is threatening legal advice over spicy food that was "as hot as acid" [CA]

quote:

Hey. First of all I'd like to say that I created an account on Reddit because this was supposedly the best place to seek advice.

Okay so I'll give you some backstory. A few months ago my friend and I started a restaurant based around hot/spicy food. We've been officially open for 3 months and we have a lot of customers who come especially for our home-made Hot sauce.

Our restaurant hasn't had any issues until 2 days ago when a woman came in and ordered our home-made sauce, she didn't say anything while in the restaurant about it being too hot. And she even purchased a bottle of it to take home

A day later her "lawyer" came in informing us we were being sued and that papers would be delivered within a week. From what he told us she had burned her whole mouth, not from the hot sauce on her food but from the bottle we sold her.

Since we don't have that bottle we cannot tell if it was defective or different in any way. However we have tested all of the bottles we have and none of them are more than 200,000 Scoville

We make all of our sauce in one go and bottle it in the same day, all of the bottles are bought in and cleaned with water (no chemicals).

My main concern is that she has modified/changed the sauce at home.

For the time being we've pulled the sauce from the menu and are "testing it" between ourselves to see if there are any issues with pre-existing bottles

advice?

We can afford a lawyer, but first we want to know our options and if this lawsuit would favor her or us.

Again, our main concern is that she has tampered with the bottle to make it hotter. We currently have the bottle marked as 150,000-250,000 Scoville which as I'm sure you're aware is not enough to cause "acid like burns"

Edit: thank you for all the advice and support.

we have received paperwork from the "lawyer" we'll be looking over it and contacting a lawyer if need be

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You probably shouldn't eat acid if you're basic as poo poo.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Customer is threatening legal advice over spicy food that was "as hot as acid" [CA]

Talk about a endorsement. "Sauce so hot we've been sued over it!"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just make people start signing a dumb loving waiver to get their food, a tactic I'm convinced is 99% marketing.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Gf [24F] is insecure about her intelligence among my classmates/colleagues at law school. Starts unnecessary, cringe-y debates and uses words incorrectly. How do I [26M] ask her to stop without hurting her feelings?

I met my girlfriend "Nicki" 6 months ago at a local gym for a fitness class. She was working as a trainer at the time, and I thought she was gorgeous, funny, and sweet and we started dating shortly after that. She has since switched jobs and works in an administrative/support role in a small company in the city. I think she's doing really well and I'm really proud of her, but she has a LOT of insecurities about herself that's been getting to me as well.

Here's what bothers her. I'm a 2L law student at a highly ranked law school (top 5 in US) in our city. I'm not saying it to brag, but because Nicki brings it up ALL the time when we're together. All the time. She talks about how we must look down at all the "locals" and how our lives have been so different, etc. I try to understand her feelings and we've had countless talks about our lives, my privileges, her dreams, and on.

Well, her insecurities come and go, but they REALLY come out when we are hanging with my friends/classmates. This may sound mean but Nicki tries really hard to come off as intelligent when we're with these people, to the point where her attempts are a little embarrassing. She also gets really aggressive and "challenges" people to random debates at inappropriate times (like someone's birthday dinner), usually on subjects she knows very little on.

She has a habit of interjecting a bunch of random, complex-sounding words into her speech without knowing what they mean. Such as "god the situation in North Korea is such a facetious catch-22" or nonsensical things like that. I don't know what she's trying to say most of the time so I can't help the discussion, and my friends just look confused and try to work with it out of politeness.

It would be easy to talk to her about this if it weren't for her sensitivity about this in particular. She genuinely thinks my friends are really impressed with her "because they're stunned silent!" when they're actually just confused. As a result she's been doing it more and more. I have no idea how to approach her without implying that she's been using these words incorrectly/making nonsense arguments. I once corrected her on the use of one word "conflagration" which she thought was a fancy word for "meeting" and I have never seen her so mad at me. She didn't talk to me for 3 days. I know she was beyond embarrassed and it struck her in the heart of her insecurities, but still, it wasn't a good response.

How do I approach her and talk to her about her misguided attempts to seem smart in front of my friends? She genuinely thinks they're impressed, and I know I'd hurt her so much if I told her otherwise. But if I don't she'll keep going and honestly it's getting ridiculous.
So, how can I let her know without setting off her insecurities and getting mad at me?

tl;dr: Gf uses a lot of words/phrases incorrectly in order to seem smart in front of my classmates. It can get really embarrassing but she is really sensitive about her intelligence and thinks she's being impressive. How to gently let her know otherwise?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Look, just put an easement on the path to the hot sauce prep area and we will be on our way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
From now on I'm just going to refer to things as being facetious catch-22s

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a conflagration in my pants and everyone's invited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The girlfriend is super insecure. It doesn't read like she's an idiot, more like she feels threatened by her law student boyfriend and his smart friends. The more he tries to call her on it, the more defensive she'll get, because "you're trying too hard to sound smart" sounds an awful lot like "you're not smart" to somebody who already feels like they have to try to impress everyone.