Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

Or that there are that many people both not buying floppies and who don't have MU who are suddenly going to get it if the books are out on MU 6 months sooner?

I think if it were actually promoted as an option yeah they'd probably pick up some customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Viridiant posted:

Yeah isn't Netflix bleeding cash? That's what I keep hearing and I don't think the situation has changed yet, though they seem to think over the long run that will change.

No, they have a lot of debt which is an entirely different discussion and does not reflect solvency.

Billzasilver posted:

There's a market for people who love to read digital books.

And another market for people who hate comic book stores.

Like you could put the books on a 2-3 week delay if you're worried so much, but there's definitely a lot of potential profit in doing the online thing.

gently caress, even give people an Amazon-integrated wishlist for the trades of what they're currently reading.
The customer base you're describing is already served by Comixology, which allows people who like digital but not stores to buy comics on the day of release. Aside from a vague sense of ownership, why would any Marvel reader buying more than 3-4 digital books per month keep doing that when they can get a subscription allowing everything, even with a small delay?

Basically the Marvel-buying customer pile that isn't sufficiently served by either traditional stores, Comixology, or MU is likely small, and getting them may come at the cost of cutting into the first two, probably higher-spending categories.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zoro posted:

I started reading Spider-Man renew your vows on Marvel unlimited. It's been pretty good so far, but talk about whiplash in tone going from the 2015 to the 2016 series. It goes from really loving dark to hyper lighthearted. Not that I'm complaining, I think I prefer the light-heartedness, but it's certainly twist.

It's really making me think what superhero comics would be like, and I know I brought this up earlier, if characters were allowed to keep developing without being reset to the status quo.

Read Astrocity by Kurt Buisek. One of the things he committed to in that book is time keeps moving. Also, they're great books! There's a published order for the trades, but honestly, you could probably jUst grab whatever seems coolest.

My favorites would either be Tarnished Angel or The Confessor trades.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Soonmot posted:

Read Astrocity by Kurt Buisek. One of the things he committed to in that book is time keeps moving. Also, they're great books! There's a published order for the trades, but honestly, you could probably jUst grab whatever seems coolest.

My favorites would either be Tarnished Angel or The Confessor trades.

Astro City is great but "no resets" isn't something that really applies because so little of it is based on a rolling continuity, certainly not to an extent already not present in Big 2 comics. The character in Tarnished Angel does grow and is maintained in the now "main" series but it's like like Nightwing was reset back to Robin or Daredevil's super-lovely life has been erased (unless Soule did?).

Also, once you get to the main series reading order does matter more. It's the random-ish trades from before #1 that are pretty open to order, although I think they read better if done in order due to the establishment of the various homage/pastiches.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
They absolutely do read better in order, but until this most recent series, and probably The Dark Age, I don't feel the order makes much difference.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What if Marvel just published a novel-length comic every week, starring Turner D. Century. Sometimes other characters would guest star, but the main character would be a too-long neglected IP. Top talent cycling through self-contained stories. It would be published in hardcover, paperback and digital. Same price for any format, $3.00

Imagine the readership!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why does marvel need to print 50 comics a month anyway?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They can't sell books like Batman at the moment, so until they work out how to get a hit, it's lots of comics for lots of money to get the biggest overall slice of the sales pie.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Teenage Fansub posted:

They can't sell books like Batman at the moment, so until they work out how to get a hit, it's lots of comics for lots of money to get the biggest overall slice of the sales pie.

It's a bit funny when you think about it. That situation used to be reverse somewhat with Spiderman, if memory serves me right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Right around the time they scrapped together the New 52, DC sales were doing pretty terrible compared to Marvel, month after month. None of their books could touch Spider-man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It always just looked like Marvel flooding the market so that people have more Marvel books to choose from, and would then be more likely to buy more Marvel books than other companies.

But I'm almost certain that's looking a bit too negatively, and their actual reasoning could just be: "We're trying a bunch of things out to see what works"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I'm starting getting into Fantastic Four comics on Marvel Unlimited. Is their a general recommended reading? I remember the first 100 Stan Lee/Jack Kirby are the most important. I'd love to get into Hickman's stuff and think there was a good run in the 80s with Bryne

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm starting getting into Fantastic Four comics on Marvel Unlimited. Is their a general recommended reading? I remember the first 100 Stan Lee/Jack Kirby are the most important. I'd love to get into Hickman's stuff and think there was a good run in the 80s with Bryne

Check out Walt Simonson's run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Key F4 creators

Jack Kirby
Walt Simonson
Mark Waid
Jonathan Hickman.

You can skip everything else.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Learning of Waid been lovely has really put a shadow on a lot of books I used to like. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

Learning of Waid been lovely has really put a shadow on a lot of books I used to like. :(

It's hard to process it sometimes. I'm holding out hope that he's going to have a come-to-Jesus moment and repent all his lovely behaviors. I really don't want to sell my Waid H4 hcs.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I'm holding out hope that he's going to have a come-to-Jesus moment and repent all his lovely behaviors.

The monkey's paw curls, he becomes a fundamentalists and restarts Spire Christian Comics.

Actually come to think of it I think THE GIRL WHO LOVED THE SWASTIKA would be oddly relevant again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TenCentFang posted:

That's unfortunately a thing with way too many people who work in comics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait Mark Waid is lovely now too? What happened?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

Wait Mark Waid is lovely now too? What happened?

That's what went through my head too! Look back a few pages in the chat thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, on the scale of terrible things, Waid is still a minor offender but I fear as he ages it might get worse. Kind of like what happened to PAD.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was he the one that went back on the Romani thing? I thought that was sweet, but there could be other things I'm not aware of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TenCentFang posted:

Was he the one that went back on the Romani thing? I thought that was sweet, but there could be other things I'm not aware of.

He did but the incident is still out there and who's to say he actually meant the apology. I just worry.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TenCentFang posted:

That was Peter David

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, seriously, what did Waid do?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Roth posted:

It always just looked like Marvel flooding the market so that people have more Marvel books to choose from, and would then be more likely to buy more Marvel books than other companies.

But I'm almost certain that's looking a bit too negatively, and their actual reasoning could just be: "We're trying a bunch of things out to see what works"

From a content farm for brainstorming movie ideas perspective, selling tons of different books about new characters is arguably a better business model than a bunch of different Batman books. It just sucks for Marvel that the movie rights for their biggest breakout character in recent years were owned by Fox, but obviously Captain Marvel and Black Panther have had significant pushes in advance of their solo movies too, and there's no reason to think they'll stop there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, seriously, what did Waid do?

Treating women poorly and creeping on young female congoers, going by Rhyno's posts in the chat thread i think?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
As one myself I've found women getting creeped on by men, to a certain level, a disturbing but inevitable norm. I was more scandalized and outraged by his "talk" with the rear end in a top hat harassing people on twitter, where he basically just got the dude to stop saying mean things about him personally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

Treating women poorly and creeping on young female congoers, going by Rhyno's posts in the chat thread i think?

Pretty much this. And his overall attitude on women after he and Deavin broke up was incredibly lovely. "All whores" and other wonderful things.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alaois posted:

Ah dammit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a shame the AOL chatlogs are lost to time. There were plenty of creators who frequented those rooms who were absolute monsters.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ignorance is truly bliss. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One time Ol' Man Byrne said something truly horrible about women so the chatmod booted him as she took personal offense to it. Well Byrne went over her head and got her de-modded and banned from the comic chat rooms.

Good times!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's a shame the AOL chatlogs are lost to time. There were plenty of creators who frequented those rooms who were absolute monsters.

I can't say I'm not interested

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

One time Ol' Man Byrne said something truly horrible about women so the chatmod booted him as she took personal offense to it. Well Byrne went over her head and got her de-modded and banned from the comic chat rooms.

Good times!

Jesus loving Christ. I already knew Byrne was a horrible person but this makes my blood boil.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
:smith: learn something new every day

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Never meet your heroes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rhyno posted:

:dogbutton:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Shawn posted:

Never meet your heroes.
I don't think Byrne is anyone's hero, except maybe assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's worth noting in terms of "awww Mark Waid is a terrible person who calls all women whores and tries to gently caress teenagers and is a bad bad bad bad man" that the entire basis of this is Rhyno, whose entire posting history is pretty heavily packed with stdh.txt.

I can say that I have also been to comic book conventions where Mark Waid has attended, several times, over several years, and have not witnessed him trying to gently caress teenage girls. I don't even understand the timeline that Rhyno is trying to put together with his dark intimations of Waid's angry AOL misogyny rants, considering that Waid and Grayson were a couple from the late 1990s (1997?) until somewhere around 2005, I think? Was Waid ducking back into AOL around the time of Infinite Crisis to call Grayson a whore?

Also if you google Mark Waid and Devin Grayson you'll see that both of them have spent most of the past decade praising each other in interviews, and the latest reference/interaction is Grayson touting Mark Waid (and herself) as contributors to a Kickstarted comic raising money for Planned Parenthood.

You can still be disappointed in Waid's handling of the Diversity & Comics dude, or how he could have been *more* receptive to earnest criticism of Strange Fruit (which was a pretty misguided book) but like... Mark Waid, Misogynist Sex Predator is based on the word of someone who appears to be a serial liar.

• Locked thread