Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That's not really what I want out of Star Trek. It should be competing with The Orville, not competing with everything else.

I actually don't think it's possible for a new Star Trek show to compete with what The Orville is trying to do. That's not even meant as a judgment or anything, it's just that The Orville is basically a TNG fan film and there's no way a modern Trek series could get away with hewing that closely to its predecessors without getting wrecked just as badly by critics. Discovery was always going to try to do its own thing, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I didn't watch the premiere, but one thing I find interesting (and ominous): I was monitoring the reactions to Discovery on /r/startrek. That sub has been arguing almost nonstop for months about Discovery, with the majority generally feeling positive and excited about the show. Most of the were even willing to swallow All Access. But reading their Discovery megathread, most of the comments range from "meh" to actively being pissed off. If you lose fans as dedicated as Trekkie Reddit, that's...something.

Now, of course, fans in 1987 may have reacted in much the same way to "Encounter at Farpoint". But I think that TNG had a lot less to lose than Discovery does.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Alan Moore wrote an episode of TNG? That can't be right. The only other...er, rape episode that comes to mind was "The Child," and that wasn't written by him. Which one are you referring to?

Yeah that's the one I was talking about. When I say Alan Moore wrote it I mean metaphorically.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

vermin posted:

What did everyone think of Discovery :v:

Summary: Meh. Not worth All Access. Especially not worth All Access just to watch the second half of the loving pilot. Might be worth :filez: once the whole season is released.

The Orville is a better show overall. It's achieving more with less. DSC has the higher budget, more studio weight to throw around, the bigger names in modern television, and theoretically could have the juggernaut that is CBS behind it if they weren't pushing the hell out of All Access. But it still has enough major faults (particularly wooden acting and bad dialogue, even for Star Trek, okay-ish effects, underwhelming score) that I didn't find myself getting into it in the first episode nearly as much as I did The Orville. I came away from it feeling the same as I did after watching the first episode of The Walking Dead. "Did I miss something? Or is this just not as good as expected?"

Maybe I needed to stick around for another few episodes of The Walking Dead for it to hit its stride. Maybe Discovery will be the same. I don't think I'll ever really find out though. All Access is going to stop me from watching it until someone rips the whole thing and dumps it on the net somewhere and All Access is going to make sure it gets the cancellation order halfway through the season's broadcast.

e: Also the show has some serious technical problems. The ADR in the Desert of Exposition was horrendous.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 25, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You guys sure are making it a lot easier to stay principled.

Paradoxish posted:

I actually don't think it's possible for a new Star Trek show to compete with what The Orville is trying to do. That's not even meant as a judgment or anything, it's just that The Orville is basically a TNG fan film and there's no way a modern Trek series could get away with hewing that closely to its predecessors without getting wrecked just as badly by critics. Discovery was always going to try to do its own thing, for better or worse.

I suppose that's fair.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mostly feel like it was an okay premier but not good enough to be worth getting CBS All Access. I could see it getting pretty good from there, but I also could see it get sub TNG season 1 bad.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Now, of course, fans in 1987 may have reacted in much the same way to "Encounter at Farpoint". But I think that TNG had a lot less to lose than Discovery does.

I was 19 in 1987 and I was bitterly, bitterly disappointed at how bad it was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TNG got off to a slow start and that was acknowledged at the time. Also it wasn't like now where we accept it as a mostly good-to-great show, it was met with a lot of Not My Trek skepticism.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

shadok posted:

It's a shame the one camera stand they had was broken. Half the show was shot with the camera flopped over at a 20 degree angle.

I feel like they really aped the ST09 camera angles thing. Especially the Vulcan school. It was like straight from the movie.

I guess that's just Star Trek's look now. Thanks, JJ...

dont even fink about it posted:

TNG got off to a slow start and that was acknowledged at the time. Also it wasn't like now where we accept it as a mostly good-to-great show, it was met with a lot of Not My Trek skepticism.

Yep. I feel like only time will tell, but loving all access is gonna be a huge issue for the not my Trek people.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 25, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I decided on a plan. I'm going to sign up for a free trial, maybe tomorrow or something, just so I can be counted as someone who won't pay for All Access. I mean I do want to see it and make up my own mind.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gorelab posted:

I mostly feel like it was an okay premier but not good enough to be worth getting CBS All Access. I could see it getting pretty good from there, but I also could see it get sub TNG season 1 bad.
I would be pretty shocked if it got THAT bad.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

I literally stopped watching after season 1 and didn't find out that it got good until 10 years later when someone loaned me a VHS recording of the top 5 episode countdown they did before the finale.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was pretty young for TNG, must have been 10. Young enough to be forgiving on account of starting even younger on TOS with my dad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In fairness like 80% of TNG Season 1 is basically unwatchable at times and it was also hurt by the fact that they had to do 26 episodes and the writing team was in total disarray that entire year.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Am I, in the year 2017, willing to wait until season 3 for a Star Trek series -or any show- to figure it's poo poo out?

No

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Gorelab posted:

I can forgive a whole lot in the show from a technical or visual standpoint. The dutch angles are annoying, but I can look past that. Honestly the show is very pretty.

The thing I don't like is the abandonment of the moral backbone to the series. DS9 flexed the moral compass a bit, I think to everyone's enjoyment. Voyager tried that out as well, because both shows were on the frontier and they were doing things to survive. But Janeway didn't agree with the crew of the Equinox. Sisko bent his morals in one very popular episode, but agonized over it.

The new show seems to be following a trend that Enterprise started where the ends justify the means for the characters. Archer was right to torture a prisoner, because it ended up saving lives. In the new show, a xenophobic mutineer is made to be right.

I don't like the trend.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think people are right to reject the All Access thing, and it's a shame but perhaps inevitable that media is going from a model where you could pay $10-$30 a month for most content that you would have to wait for on TV, to every stupid-rear end channel having its own $10 streaming service.

But frankly I wonder if the market is actually there. My experience is that olds rarely buy anything but Netflix, and youngs are cord-cutting like mad and not likely to go back to the way things were even under duress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I can forgive a whole lot in the show from a technical or visual standpoint. The dutch angles are annoying, but I can look past that. Honestly the show is very pretty.

The thing I don't like is the abandonment of the moral backbone to the series. DS9 flexed the moral compass a bit, I think to everyone's enjoyment. Voyager tried that out as well, because both shows were on the frontier and they were doing things to survive. But Janeway didn't agree with the crew of the Equinox. Sisko bent his morals in one very popular episode, but agonized over it.

The new show seems to be following a trend that Enterprise started where the ends justify the means for the characters. Archer was right to torture a prisoner, because it ended up saving lives. In the new show, a xenophobic mutineer is made to be right.

I don't like the trend.
I really don't think that the entire season is going to conclude with this 'ends justify the means' thing. Burnham's whole plan not only got her Captain killed but martyred a Klingon warrior, and got her kicked out of Starfleet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TNG had at least one thing going for it at its premiere: by setting the series one hundred years after the original, it avoided the anachronism problems that Discovery has been running into since the word go. TNG was able to build on the universe TOS created, especially after The Undiscovered Country. Discovery looks like it's just inventing new stuff whole cloth, which can work, but the Klingon redesign and things like that are going to alienate longtime fans.

That plus having to pay CBS six bucks a month for ten minutes of Trek and eight of commercials is going to turn a lot of people off.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

I don't like the trend.

That's pretty much the crux of it to me. I could see the story being a war caused by xenophobia that needs to be overcome or I can see it as basically just straight up a stupid just war depending on how they take it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

shadok posted:

I literally stopped watching after season 1 and didn't find out that it got good until 10 years later when someone loaned me a VHS recording of the top 5 episode countdown they did before the finale.

omg I remember this. The Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds, and what else?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait. All Access has COMMERCIALS??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

TNG had at least one thing going for it at its premiere: by setting the series one hundred years after the original, it avoided the anachronism problems that Discovery has been running into since the word go. TNG was able to build on the universe TOS created, especially after The Undiscovered Country. Discovery looks like it's just inventing new stuff whole cloth, which can work, but the Klingon redesign and things like that are going to alienate longtime fans.

That plus having to pay CBS six bucks a month for ten minutes of Trek and eight of commercials is going to turn a lot of people off.
I mean you could have said the same things about Enterprise since they had stuff 100 years before Kirk that clearly looked more advanced than what was on TOS. There's not much you can really do about that now, 50+ years after TOS premiered. The updated look is fine with me. I don't feel like the Klingons look that much radically different than what the Abrams movies did. They have kept all of the cultural stuff otherwise.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It has two tiers. One with, one without.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think people are right to reject the All Access thing, and it's a shame but perhaps inevitable that media is going from a model where you could pay $10-$30 a month for most content that you would have to wait for on TV, to every stupid-rear end channel having its own $10 streaming service.

But frankly I wonder if the market is actually there. My experience is that olds rarely buy anything but Netflix, and youngs are cord-cutting like mad and not likely to go back to the way things were even under duress.

There is enough idiocy among some young cord-cutters that they would rather spend more on various per-channel streaming services combined than they would on cable and still say it's cheaper and better.

All Access having one show on it that might possibly end up be worth watching AND having commercials is just an abortion.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Am I, in the year 2017, willing to wait until season 3 for a Star Trek series -or any show- to figure it's poo poo out?

No

Coupled with the following?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hell no.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You guys sure are making it a lot easier to stay principled..
I would ordinarily agree. In this case, CBS seeing a few zillion seed torrents (along with foreign ratings) will tell them that there IS a demand for Trek, just not a splintered service.

Civil disobedience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also can they stay on a loving shot for more than five seconds?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I totally get not supporting what CBS is doing, but everything I had read prior to them working on this show made it clear that they were not interested in doing Trek again otherwise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then gently caress them again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

lol

I wasn't going to pay for it anyway but talk about hell no.

Ads / Subscription

Choose one, you don't get to have both.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

omg I remember this. The Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds, and what else?

Relics was one.

Edit: looked up the last one. Yesterday's Enterprise, of course.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_Viewers_Choice_Marathon

shadok fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 25, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I I could buy a season pass on Vudu and watch them the day after, I would.

This current model is going to result in not purchasing them at all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I would ordinarily agree. In this case, CBS seeing a few zillion seed torrents (along with foreign ratings) will tell them that there IS a demand for Trek, just not a splintered service.

Civil disobedience.

Hm. It's worth considering. Normally I only download things, to explain myself, like TV shows that are broadcast freely, and then only because we have occasionally unreliable/congested rural wireless service, so streams are not always an enjoyable experience. I'll play along with the free-with-ads system in order to be counted for something, which is why I was hoping part 1 would be on Hulu or whatever.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I feel violated. I was really hyped about a new Star Trek series and all the buzz in the media was good. Then I came home tonight, went to my recorded shows and, Star Trek wasn't there; it was passed over for two other shows I had set to record so I opened up my laptop to find it and, holy poo poo, it's only on a pay site, and all future episodes are only on this pay site. Seriously, I've got the money to pay for it but, gently caress CBS. I'm not doing it and I'm a huge, die hard trek fan. I'm not doing it. I feel so violated.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Speaking of downloading to spite the paid service, is there even a way to do that if it's only streaming? I'm not very up to date in my piracy.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to pay for poo poo like Hulu or All Access, shell out for no ads.

As far as cord-cutting goes, my household pays a grand total of $45 for our streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, and Sling). Just the channels I get on Sling would be at least $60 from Comcast. I'm happy to cash out another $10 for a couple of months to watch Trek.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think that the entire season is going to conclude with this 'ends justify the means' thing. Burnham's whole plan not only got her Captain killed but martyred a Klingon warrior, and got her kicked out of Starfleet.

Yeah the ambiguity in what moral direction is what's preventing me from really having any strong takes on the show. From what I saw in the interviews, it very much looked like it would blur the line but in the end reach the morals that we know and respect in Trek. But it's hard to really believe stuff like that because they'd say it anyways even if it wasn't true. I have a little faith but I understand that some people won't give it a chance to see if it reaches that goal.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I totally get not supporting what CBS is doing, but everything I had read prior to them working on this show made it clear that they were not interested in doing Trek again otherwise.

Half-Joke response: It's not like this is really Trek in the first place anyways

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of downloading to spite the paid service, is there even a way to do that if it's only streaming? I'm not very up to date in my piracy.

If it's on a screen that you have physical access to you can capture it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I liked it.

It has issues, but I'm willing enough to give it a go.