Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MourningView posted:

Eh, they haven't actually beaten anyone notable (ISU is maaaaybe a bowl team?). If they play like they did last night on defense regularly going forward the wins will come and they'll get into the rankings. Way too early to care now.
Fair enough. Hopefully we'll see yinz in Indianapolis. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fifty Three posted:

Fair enough. Hopefully we'll see yinz in Indianapolis. :getin:

wtf is yinz

you can't drop cool new slang you made up without telling us what it means

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Hopefully when Georgia skullfucks us next week it will be another nail in lying Lyle's coffin

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

wtf is yinz

I think it's Yankee for you'ns

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

wtf is yinz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinz

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tactlessbastard posted:

I think it's Yankee for you'ns

wtf is you'ns

use "y'all" like normal people. :wtc:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Despite being born there, I am so happy by the time I started developing verbal skills I was living with my aunt and uncle in Virginia, then settling in Florida so I talk normal.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swickles posted:

Despite being born there, I am so happy by the time I started developing verbal skills I was living with my aunt and uncle in Virginia, then settling in Florida so I talk normal.

y'all is normal :colbert:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
You acting like no one has heard people from Virginia

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

oh right, and also football is dumb and terrible and I hate it

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Randaconda posted:

y'all is normal :colbert:

Yeah, I hear y'all with tons of accents. I was talking about saying yinz.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Just throwing it out there: Why isn't Duke ranked?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They needed to save room for FSU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As usual Bill C said it better than I could about Barry Odom's rant after the loss last night. Which is a good thing since he gets paid to write for a living I guess.

quote:

Plus, the examples Odom used during his rant — the Larry Smith era, 2004 and 2012 at Mizzou, the Memphis rebuild — require some context.

1. He didn’t inherit what Larry Smith inherited. I think we can agree that he didn’t exactly inherit peak Pinkel-level talent, but that “wall” that Smith had to break down was infinitely bigger than the one Odom is dealing with. Same goes for the Memphis rebuild that he took on with Justin Fuente.
2. Fuente’s team showed massive second-year improvement, by the way.
3. Pinkel was in his fourth season and had generated three straight years of improvement before his 2004 stumble. And even in 2004, one side of the ball (defense) was showing promise. And Mizzou only lost one game by more than 17 points. Mizzou has now lost three straight by that much.
4. In 2012, Missouri was dealing with quarterback injuries and still beat Arizona State and Tennessee and 10-win UCF and lost three games by tiny margins.

Patience requires a baseline of proof. Justin Fuente and Gary Pinkel provided it. Larry Smith needed a while to provide it at Mizzou but had at least done so in other head coaching gigs. In winning the Big Things battles but losing via Little Things, Missouri was providing it at least a hair under Odom. But now the Tigers are dealing with their second straight Big Things loss. You’ve got eight games to provide more evidence, Coach.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Spurrier doesn't have a vote anymore.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Randaconda posted:

wtf is you'ns

use "y'all" like normal people. :wtc:

you’ns is pretty common I thought? Growing up in Knoxville I heard it pretty often.

Speaking of Knoxville, we are going to get hosed so hard by Georgia and I may not be able to handle the trauma caused by it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
lol Georgia is not gonna blowout Tennessee in knoxville. I find the very idea absurd

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

HannibalBarca posted:

lol Georgia is not gonna blowout Tennessee in knoxville. I find the very idea absurd

Ahh I see you haven't watched my beloved vols this year

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

I go back and forth between this and “oh my god this is gonna be bad”
I got a little caught up with emotion

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
in 2014 UGA went to Jacksonville to play a shambolic gators squad coached by a dead man walking and we got the brakes beat off of us. not gonna assume anything

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

D.N. Nation posted:

I dunno. They probably deserve it more than Florida or LSU.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Sab0921 posted:

Both teams looked pretty good, especially the 2nd half OSU offense? Not sure where you're at here.

I notice you're not mentioning the defenses or special teams (particularly OK state's). But hey, if you think these two very stereotypical Big XII teams are great, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
This is prime "Georgia shoots itself in the dick" set up.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

HannibalBarca posted:

Georgia is a top 4 talent composite team with a QB that doesn't suck, expectations should be very high despite everyone trying not to get their hopes up or w/e.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I go back and forth between this and “oh my god this is gonna be bad”
I got a little caught up with emotion

i hope its a slaughter on a historic level. i hope its so bad that butch gets kiffined at the airport even though the game is in knoxville

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I can't imagine Tennessee not firing Butch this year.

There's no way they don't drop another 3-4 games.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

corn in the bible posted:

is sophie the name of one of the kids because if so i know what she'd choose

I'm p sure Sandusky only hosed boyzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Randaconda posted:

wtf is yinz

Pittsburghese for "y'all." I was being folksy and cordial!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Georgia is a top 4 talent composite team with a QB that doesn't suck, expectations should be very high despite everyone trying not to get their hopes up or w/e.

im just stoked we got a hella good punter, the other stuff is just icing on the cake

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just realized Tulane could still get enough wins to make it to a bad bowl, the quest continues!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

an adult beverage posted:

I can't imagine Tennessee not firing Butch this year.

There's no way they don't drop another 3-4 games.

Of the games left

Funeral: Alabama

Sure Loss: Georgia
LSU

Coin Flip: South Carolina
Kentucky
Vandy

Could Lose: Southern Miss

Will Win: Mizzou

if they're unlucky they can go 4-8.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LSU is not for sure beating anyone else this year.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jesus I just realized Butch's last act could be giving Vandy a win streak

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Who does Tennessee even go after if they fire Butch?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

But if you went back in time to kill Sandusky, there might not have been a defense worth going back in time to retrieve.

A paradox the Penn State Fan must live with.

Sandusky had been retired for five years by that point, so it wouldn't have made a difference if he was had been strung up at a Sheetz like Mussolini or not.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dango Bango posted:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Utah's ranked :toot:

Gonna lose a good number of games this season but so long as there's a bowl game I don't care.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

What if UGA goes to Knoxville, plays solid and competently and beats UT by 2 scores in a fairly boring, injury-less, low-scoring affair? Kirby Smart would rub it raw, but the rest of us, on both sides, given recent history, will be left utterly befuddled.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dango Bango posted:

Whatever Jeff Brohm's buyout is, Tennessee can probably pay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

I notice you're not mentioning the defenses or special teams (particularly OK state's). But hey, if you think these two very stereotypical Big XII teams are great, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

You should take up smoking pot - it'll help you relax.

TCU's defense was really good through 3 quarters, OSU's was very good through much of the 4th. But both teams also have incredible offenses that are hard to stop - I thought each defense did pretty well considering.

• Locked thread